Genealogy program for Mandriva? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Genealogy program for Mandriva? - Mandriva ; On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 17:52:14 +0000, Bit Twister wrote: > If you have your mirror set correctly Ah, yes - if only! Next 7-hour dial-up session should sort that out... -- Maurice (Remove 'removethis.' to reply by email)...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

  1. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    --
    Maurice

  2. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 18:56:20 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > Changing mirrors is easy just delete it. You can pick another mirror from
    > http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ once you have hit step 3 from easyurpmi, click
    > up a terminal
    >
    > su - root
    >
    > and cut from browser and paste in root terminal.

    Yes, is fairly simple - did it a few weeks ago - but it's a 7-hour
    dial-up session, so not trivial in that sense!

    Is there some urpmi 'cleanup' command I should execute before starting
    all over again?

    (and is there some way I can make urpmi know that I already have the
    8MB gramps RPM so it doesn't have to fetch it again?)

    --
    Maurice

  3. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 15:40:34 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > Is there some urpmi 'cleanup' command I should execute before starting
    > all over again?

    You only need to delete the bad mirrors and I assume you have set wget
    as default instead of curl.

    > (and is there some way I can make urpmi know that I already have the
    > 8MB gramps RPM so it doesn't have to fetch it again?)

    mv whatever.rpm /var/cache/urpmi/rpms

    Now, what may happen is you get an error about the rpm if it's
    checksum does not match the database's value.
    If so, you delete it from the /var/cache/urpmi/rpms directory and
    download it again.

  4. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 00:26:53 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> get and use GeneWeb,

    > I did take a look at their site, but couldn't see an RPM option.
    > (Not into installing from source code or whatever... )

    It does not come in an rpm, but does not involve source code.

    Download the package (geneweb-5.00.tgz for Linux) and put it in
    a directory one level above where you want the thing to wind up.
    I.e. put it in /home/geneal if you want everything to be in or
    below /home/geneal/gw-5.00/. It is a gzip tar archive, so you
    have to gunzip it (gunzip filename works fine) and untar it
    tar -xvf filename, or combine the two into tar -xvfz filename.

    That will create a directory gw-5.00 and subordinate directories
    containing executables, documentation, default settings in some
    configuration files, and commands. The gwd and gwsetup commands
    should be in the directory gw just below gw-5.00, along with a
    README.txt, In an x-term, run gwd & to get the deamon running
    in the background, and from the command line run gwsetup.

    Once you get things set up, you launch your browser with a
    url such a http://127.0.0.1:2317/myfamily (with the gwd deamon
    running, of course), and view, enter, or modify your database.

    I seem to remember in earlier versions instances of a pathname
    in one of the shell scripts being out of kilter, a port number
    (2316) that did something other than expected, and a little
    bit of tinkering required. Updates have been straightforward.
    Either the new versions have fixed the problems or the shell
    scripts are finding and using the configuration settings already
    in existence.

    The documentation is translated from the French, but you can
    learn a lot about how to use the program effectively. The
    flip side is, you do have to read at least some of the documentation
    to do anything beyond the very rudimentary.

    YPYM, YTYP.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  5. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 00:36:21 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:

    > Once you get things set up, you launch your browser with a url such a
    > http://127.0.0.1:2317/myfamily (with the gwd deamon running, of course),
    > and view, enter, or modify your database.

    So - as the name implies - to use GeneWeb one has to be online...

    Well, then until I have broadband I think I'll have to pass.

    But many thanks for the setup info, Jim - much appreciated.

    --
    Maurice

  6. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 00:36:21 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> Once you get things set up, you launch your browser with a url such a
    >> http://127.0.0.1:2317/myfamily (with the gwd deamon running, of course),
    >> and view, enter, or modify your database.

    > So - as the name implies - to use GeneWeb one has to be online...
    > Well, then until I have broadband I think I'll have to pass.
    > But many thanks for the setup info, Jim - much appreciated.

    No, you do not have to be on line. It operates in standalone mode
    just fine, and this is the only way I use it. Using GeneWeb is
    easy. Reading documentation and deciding what you want to do and
    how to do it is a little harder, but do that once and you do not
    have to do it again until you decide to do new things or stay away
    from the program so long you forget how to do things. Then, the
    full documentation is always available.

    For Linux, you do have to have X-windows running, but if you use KDE
    or GNOME or any of the other desktops that come with Mandriva, you
    have this working. And you do have to use your web browser for
    ordinary viewing/modification, with an URL of the form
    http://127.0.0.1:2317/beard

    When gwd is running in the background, the above translates into
    access to my main GeneWeb database on my machine. Port 2316 is
    also activated by gwd if memory serves me right, but I think that
    is for startup or maintenance.

    Don't let IP addresses and port numbers cause you to think you
    have to be on the Web. 127.0.0.1 is the local machine, sometimes
    referenced as localhost. As for port numbers, I have an HP
    deskjet hanging off the parallel port of my Gateway (Mandriva
    2006.1 because it does not have enough RAM for 2007), and
    CUPS and other printer software thinks it is on port 631.

    Of course, you can operate GeneWeb as a server available to
    others on the Web, require passwords for viewing or modification
    or both, restrict access to specific machines, and do several
    other things that make it convenient for others to see or
    help with expanding/revising your database. I may someday
    look into that, but for the moment I just create a gedcom,
    burn it to cd, and mail that to anyone I wish to share data
    with. This provides an off-site backup, should anything happen
    to me or my machine.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  7. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 15:40:33 +0100, I wrote:

    > Next 7-hour dial-up session should sort that out...

    Been postponing that as am about to change to broadband at last, but seem to
    have got myself into a Catch-22 situation:

    When I ask the System Configurator to configure the PC's Ethernet for DHCP
    (which the Netgear doc says is needed), it finishes up saying "Error: Could not
    install DHCP-client package" (presumably because my urpmi system has a
    defunct mirror setup - see earlier postings).

    So it would seem I can't use broadband until I do the 7-hour dial-up session to
    rejuvenate my urpmi system so I can set up DHCP...

    (N.B. When I first installed Mandriva 2007 the Ethernet facility was
    disabled, as SuSE 9.0 took ages over it at boot up.)

    --
    Maurice

  8. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 19:13:47 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > When I ask the System Configurator to configure the PC's Ethernet for DHCP
    > (which the Netgear doc says is needed), it finishes up saying "Error: Could not
    > install DHCP-client package" (presumably because my urpmi system has a
    > defunct mirror setup - see earlier postings).
    >
    > So it would seem I can't use broadband until I do the 7-hour dial-up session to
    > rejuvenate my urpmi system so I can set up DHCP...

    Well, you might consider installing the dhcp stuff from install disk
    with the mirror disabled.

  9. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 19:01:53 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > you might consider installing the dhcp stuff from install disk with
    > the mirror disabled.

    Yes! (In fact just as I was nodding off last night, I heard a faint
    voice from the inner depths of what's left of my brain (after a 'family' day;
    it can't be age - I'm only 74), suggesting I might have overlooked such a
    possibility)

    So I was glad to see your confirmation. But it wasn't as simple as I'd
    assumed it would be.

    I went into Media Manager and disabled all the mirrors, then clicked on the box
    for 'Enable Install Disk', but instead of enabling it, MM said:
    "This medium needs to be updated to be usable. Update it now?"

    This flummoxed me. Update the install DVD? Anyway, I said yes, and of course a
    whole mess of unhelpful messages appeared.
    So I did an Edit of the 'Install disk' entry. It showed a URL of /dev/hdd,
    which - as I had Mounted the DVD (should I have done?) - didn't look like very
    accessible. So I repaced it with "/mnt/cdrom2", and hit 'Save changes",
    whereupon the DVD reader sprang into life.
    After about 3 mins of much reading from the DVD, a long list of errors
    appeared, along the lines of:

    "file [local_0.9.9mdv2007...rpm"

    Seemd like complete shanbles, but then I noticed that the Enable box for
    Install Disk now had a cross in it!

    So I exited MCC and went into System Configure for Ethernet. Lo and behold, it
    accessed the DVD and then announced (words to the effect) that 'configuration
    was successful".

    Phew...

    (When I looked in my WinXP system, I could see no mention of 'DHCP' in the
    Ethernet setup, but assume it will have been incorporated by default.
    (The WinXP is the original pre-installed version, so presumably Ethernet was
    enabled when that was done.))
    --
    Maurice

  10. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 19:13:47 +0100, I wrote:

    > Been postponing that as am about to change to broadband at last

    Finally got broadband installed yesterday - soon up & running.

    Absolute doddle now rejuvenating URPMI database, as was the installation
    of 'gramps'. - very smooth.

    Many thanks for all your patience and help - much appreciated!
    --
    Maurice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2