Re: change system clock from UTC to local timezone? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Re: change system clock from UTC to local timezone? - Mandriva ; On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 23:25:04 +1000, Peter D. wrote: > During installation there is a choice of setting the system clock > to GMT/UTC or local time (necessary for workability with other > operating systems). > > How can ...

  1. Re: change system clock from UTC to local timezone?

    On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 23:25:04 +1000, Peter D. wrote:

    > During installation there is a choice of setting the system clock
    > to GMT/UTC or local time (necessary for workability with other
    > operating systems).
    >
    > How can the configuration be changed without re-installing or
    > "upgrading" with the current release?

    Well you could change UTC=false/true in /etc/sysconfig/clock

  2. Re: change system clock from UTC to local timezone?

    On 2007-06-29, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 23:25:04 +1000, Peter D. wrote:
    >
    >> During installation there is a choice of setting the system clock
    >> to GMT/UTC or local time (necessary for workability with other
    >> operating systems).
    >>
    >> How can the configuration be changed without re-installing or
    >> "upgrading" with the current release?

    > Well you could change UTC=false/true in /etc/sysconfig/clock

    Isn't there a way to change that inside mcc (Mandriva
    Control Center)?

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  3. Re: change system clock from UTC to local timezone?

    On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 14:37:44 -0400, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 23:25:04 +1000, Peter D. wrote:
    >
    >> During installation there is a choice of setting the system clock
    >> to GMT/UTC or local time (necessary for workability with other
    >> operating systems).
    >>
    >> How can the configuration be changed without re-installing or
    >> "upgrading" with the current release?

    > Well you could change UTC=false/true in /etc/sysconfig/clock

    If you prefer to use the gui, mcc/System/Adjust the date and the time,
    (This runs drakclock), Select Change Time Zone. After selecting the
    timezone, you will be asked if the hardware clock is set to GMT.
    Select no, and it will update /etc/sysconfig/clock, for you.

    Bit Twister, I'm curious where you found Peter's article. It didn't
    show up on either news server I use (news.motzarella.org and nnrp.ca.mci..com)
    or on googlegroups.

    Can you post, or email me a copy of the headers from Peters article? I'm
    trying to figure out why I'm occasionally seeing replies to aritcles that
    are never showing up, on the news servers, I'm using. I know leafnode
    drops any messages, that have invalid messageids, or reference headers. I
    get messages like
    Jun 29 14:07:14 hodgins fetchnews[5354]: article /var/spool/news/alt/os/linux/mandrake/39083 contained illegal headers: References: does not endwith ">"
    but don't see any recent messages being dropped for the mandriva group, that
    would correspond with Peter's article.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: change system clock from UTC to local timezone?

    On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 19:11:57 GMT, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > Isn't there a way to change that inside mcc (Mandriva
    > Control Center)?

    Maybe I missed it, here have a look
    /usr/bin/perl /usr/sbin/clock.pl

  5. [ OT ] Re: change system clock from UTC to local timezone?

    On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:28:55 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Bit Twister, I'm curious where you found Peter's article. It didn't
    > show up on either news server I use (news.motzarella.org and nnrp.ca.mci.com)
    > or on googlegroups.

    Takes awhile for googlegroups to get it index.

    Subject: change system clock from UTC to local timezone?
    From: "Peter D."
    Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 23:25:04 +1000
    Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mandriva

  6. Re: [ OT ] Re: change system clock from UTC to local timezone?

    On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:36:14 -0400, Bit Twister wrote:

    > Takes awhile for googlegroups to get it index.

    The article I'm replying to, has already made it to googlegroups.

    > From: "Peter D."

    Peter's message has not, and looking at the messageid, it's clearly
    not valid.

    Peter, If you're reading this, in knode, select settings, Configure knode,
    Select Posting news, check the generate messagid box, and specify a unique
    host name. That will help get your messages to propagate to servers that
    require valid messageids.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: change system clock from UTC to local timezone?

    On 2007-06-29, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 19:11:57 GMT, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >>
    >> Isn't there a way to change that inside mcc (Mandriva
    >> Control Center)?

    > Maybe I missed it, here have a look
    > /usr/bin/perl /usr/sbin/clock.pl

    I'm certain I have seen it while running drakclock (the
    target of symlink /usr/sbin/clock.pl). The code is not the
    most readable I have seen, but it looks like the last string
    constant in the following snippet is where it resides:

    $button_time->signal_connect(clicked => sub {
    local $::isEmbedded = 0; # to prevent sub window embedding
    if ($timezone->{timezone} = $in->ask_from_treelist(N("Timezone - DrakClock"), N("Which is your timezone?"), '/', [ timezone::getTimeZones() ], $timezone->{timezone})) {
    $timezone->{UTC} = $in->ask_yesorno(N("GMT - DrakClock"), N("Is your hardware clock set to GMT?"), $timezone->{UTC});
    timezone::write($timezone);
    }
    $label_timezone->set_text($timezone->{timezone});

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  8. Re: change system clock from UTC to local timezone?

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 01:05:08 GMT, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    > On 2007-06-29, Bit Twister wrote:

    >> Maybe I missed it, here have a look
    >> /usr/bin/perl /usr/sbin/clock.pl

    > I'm certain I have seen it while running drakclock (the
    > target of symlink /usr/sbin/clock.pl).

    My fault, it is hidden down in the Change Time Zone screen.
    I had thought it was on the clock screen.

  9. Re: [ OT ] Re: change system clock from UTC to local timezone?

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:36:14 -0400, Bit Twister
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Takes awhile for googlegroups to get it index.

    > The article I'm replying to, has already made it to googlegroups.
    >
    >> From: "Peter D."

    > Peter's message has not, and looking at the messageid, it's clearly
    > not valid.
    >
    > Peter, If you're reading this, in knode, select settings, Configure
    > knode, Select Posting news, check the generate messagid box, and
    > specify a unique
    > host name. That will help get your messages to propagate to servers
    > that require valid messageids.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Dave,
    Thanks. I'm not at home. Normally I use Leafnode as a local mail
    server and let it generate message ids. Leafnode is not installed
    on this machine - and I had not configured Knode properly. :-(
    My bad. :-(

    The only messages that I can see in this thread are my original and
    your reply. Obviously, things are going missing.

    I just had a look at groups.google.com and it makes a real news reader
    look like a really good idea. But everybody already knew that.

    Bit,
    I've edited /etc/sysconfig/clock. Haven't rebooted yet.

    Robert,
    No. I can't see any way to do it from inside mcc.

    BTW there seem to be some serious propagation problems over the last
    few days. Using Knode and Leafnode from my (presumably) correctly
    configured computer at home a.o.l.mandriva dried up a few days ago.
    The only posts that I could see originated inside Australia. I was
    blaming my ISP and sent them an email about it.

    Last time I communicated with them about news servers I had to tell
    them that they peered with a news server, so you can understand why
    I jumped to the conclusion that it was their fault.

    --
    Peter D.
    Sig goes here...

  10. Re: change system clock from UTC to local timezone?

    Bit Twister writes:

    >On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 23:25:04 +1000, Peter D. wrote:

    >> During installation there is a choice of setting the system clock
    >> to GMT/UTC or local time (necessary for workability with other
    >> operating systems).
    >>
    >> How can the configuration be changed without re-installing or
    >> "upgrading" with the current release?

    >Well you could change UTC=false/true in /etc/sysconfig/clock

    And you would be badly brain damaged if you did so as well. That would mean
    that you , not the system, would have to take care of all DST issues.

    Please do not do it, unless you r use of a brain damaged operating system
    ( yes I am refereing to windows) forces you to do so.

  11. Re: [ OT ] Re: change system clock from UTC to local timezone?

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:17:19 -0400, Peter D. wrote:

    > Thanks. I'm not at home. Normally I use Leafnode as a local mail
    > server and let it generate message ids. Leafnode is not installed
    > on this machine - and I had not configured Knode properly. :-(

    Looks good now.

    > No. I can't see any way to do it from inside mcc.

    In drakclock, (mcc/system/Adjust the date and time), click
    on the "Change time zone" button. After you select the time zone,
    a popup will ask if your clock is set to gmt. Select no, for a
    clock set to localtime.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  12. Re: change system clock from UTC to local timezone?

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 15:20:18 -0400, Unruh wrote:

    > Bit Twister writes:
    >> Well you could change UTC=false/true in /etc/sysconfig/clock

    > And you would be badly brain damaged if you did so as well. That wouldmean
    > that you , not the system, would have to take care of all DST issues.

    I have a multiboot system, 98, xp pro, 2007.0, and 2007.1. I have
    the system set to localtime, and had no problem with the change to daylight
    saving time. As long as /etc/sysconfig/clock is set properly, the system
    does take care of the DST issues.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  13. Re: change system clock from UTC to local timezone?

    Unruh wrote:

    >>Well you could change UTC=false/true in /etc/sysconfig/clock

    > And you would be badly brain damaged if you did so as well. That would
    > mean that you , not the system, would have to take care of all DST issues.
    >
    > Please do not do it, unless you r use of a brain damaged operating system
    > ( yes I am refereing to windows) forces you to do so.

    # cat /etc/sysconfig/clock
    UTC=false
    ARC=false
    ZONE=Europe/Dublin

    On my box DST is handled automatically by the system. (mdv 2007.1)

    Jim

  14. Re: [ OT ] Re: change system clock from UTC to local timezone?

    Peter D. wrote:

    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:36:14 -0400, Bit Twister
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Takes awhile for googlegroups to get it index.

    >> The article I'm replying to, has already made it to googlegroups.
    >>
    >>> From: "Peter D."

    >> Peter's message has not, and looking at the messageid, it's clearly
    >> not valid.
    >>
    >> Peter, If you're reading this, in knode, select settings, Configure
    >> knode, Select Posting news, check the generate messagid box, and
    >> specify a unique
    >> host name. That will help get your messages to propagate to
    >> servers that require valid messageids.
    >>
    >> Regards, Dave Hodgins

    > Dave,
    > Thanks. I'm not at home. Normally I use Leafnode as a local mail
    > server and let it generate message ids. Leafnode is not installed
    > on this machine - and I had not configured Knode properly. :-(
    > My bad. :-(
    >
    > The only messages that I can see in this thread are my original and
    > your reply. Obviously, things are going missing.
    >
    > I just had a look at groups.google.com and it makes a real news
    > reader
    > look like a really good idea. But everybody already knew that.
    >
    > Bit,
    > I've edited /etc/sysconfig/clock. Haven't rebooted yet.
    >
    > Robert,
    > No. I can't see any way to do it from inside mcc.
    >
    > BTW there seem to be some serious propagation problems over the last
    > few days. Using Knode and Leafnode from my (presumably) correctly
    > configured computer at home a.o.l.mandriva dried up a few days ago.
    > The only posts that I could see originated inside Australia. I was
    > blaming my ISP and sent them an email about it.
    >
    > Last time I communicated with them about news servers I had to tell
    > them that they peered with a news server, so you can understand why
    > I jumped to the conclusion that it was their fault.

    Google groups says that there are 13 messages in this thread.
    News.sunet.com.au has three, and two of them are mine. That plus the
    problems I'be been having with news.melbourne.pipenetworks.com
    at home suggests suggest that Australia is falling of the end of the
    'net.

    Current time here is past 2pm Sunday. The bios is set to local time.

    cat clock

    UTC=false
    ZONE=Australia/Melbourne
    ARC=false

    date
    Sun Jul 1 14:04:36 UTC 2007

    I'll have another play, reboot, and maybe reinstall.

    --
    Peter D.
    Sig goes here...

  15. Re: [ OT ] Re: change system clock from UTC to local timezone?

    Peter D. wrote:

    [snip]
    > Current time here is past 2pm Sunday. The bios is set to local
    > time.
    >
    > cat clock
    >
    > UTC=false
    > ZONE=Australia/Melbourne
    > ARC=false
    >
    > date
    > Sun Jul 1 14:04:36 UTC 2007
    >
    > I'll have another play, reboot, and maybe reinstall.

    There is a pop-up box from mcc after clicking on "Change Time Zone".

    After selecting the appropiate option and rebooting the system clock
    had changed again. Reset to local time booted again.

    /etc/sysconfig/clock has been shuffled, but the values are still;
    false, false, and Australia/Melbourne.

    The clock on the wall, the system clock, "date" and KDE's clock are
    all in agreement.

    Thank you all.

    It's time to start a new thread on propagation problems.

    --
    Peter D.
    Sig goes here...

+ Reply to Thread