Gotcha when installing 2007.1 over existing 2006 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Gotcha when installing 2007.1 over existing 2006 - Mandriva ; Yesterday my main file server was upgraded (via a clean install) from Mandriva 2006 to 2007.1, and in general it went well. However there was one potentially serious gotcha. The system had these partitions on /dev/sda: device what e2label /dev/sda1 ...

  1. Gotcha when installing 2007.1 over existing 2006

    Yesterday my main file server was upgraded (via a clean install) from
    Mandriva 2006 to 2007.1, and in general it went well. However there was
    one potentially serious gotcha. The system had these partitions
    on /dev/sda:

    device what e2label
    /dev/sda1 /boot (none)
    /dev/sda2 extended partition
    /dev/sda5 / /
    /dev/sda6 swap (not an ext2 fs)
    /dev/sda7 /home /home

    It looks this way when mounted:
    /dev/sda5 20986324 5955379 13964633 30% /
    /dev/sda1 1098607 41260 1001523 4% /boot
    /dev/sda7 44236404 146936 44089468 1% /home

    The installer was told to install in /boot and /, and to make new file
    systems on those partitions. Neither /dev/sda7 nor /home were
    ever mentioned explicitly. This was because /home/software had some
    files in it that were to be retained. As the installation progressed it
    asked for the name of a user, and I told it "software".

    So, when the system finally booted everything was fine EXCEPT
    that /home/software was now empty. It wasn't a disaster as everything
    was backed up and it only took a few minutes to restore from tape.
    Still, it isn't clear to me why the installer stomped on the CONTENTS
    of /home/software. I had expected that when the account was created
    it would see that the directory already existed and would just use the
    existing directory. Note, this was not a case of a mount problem,
    where the files actually existed in /dev/sda5 in /home there and then
    /dev/sda7 was mounted over it. I have on another disk a dump of
    /dev/sda5 performed when /dev/sda7 was not even mounted, and on that
    copy /home is just an empty directory (as it should be). I don't think
    that /dev/sda7's file system was rebuilt, as the top level file
    dates are all back over a year ago, although perhaps they were reset
    when I restored it from tape.

    Anyway, be warned, as this gotcha could affect anybody who similarly
    tries to upgrade their system via an install on just /boot and / and
    keeps files on the same disk in another paritition containing
    /home/username.

    Regards,

    David Mathog

  2. Re: Gotcha when installing 2007.1 over existing 2006

    David Mathog wrote:
    > Yesterday my main file server was upgraded (via a clean install) from
    > Mandriva 2006 to 2007.1, and in general it went well. However there was
    > one potentially serious gotcha. The system had these partitions
    > on /dev/sda:
    >
    > device what e2label
    > /dev/sda1 /boot (none)
    > /dev/sda2 extended partition
    > /dev/sda5 / /
    > /dev/sda6 swap (not an ext2 fs)
    > /dev/sda7 /home /home
    >
    > It looks this way when mounted:
    > /dev/sda5 20986324 5955379 13964633 30% /
    > /dev/sda1 1098607 41260 1001523 4% /boot
    > /dev/sda7 44236404 146936 44089468 1% /home
    >

    > The installer was told to install in /boot and /, and to make new file
    > systems on those partitions. Neither /dev/sda7 nor /home were
    > ever mentioned explicitly. This was because /home/software had some
    > files in it that were to be retained. As the installation progressed it
    > asked for the name of a user, and I told it "software".
    >
    > So, when the system finally booted everything was fine EXCEPT
    > that /home/software was now empty. It wasn't a disaster as everything
    > was backed up and it only took a few minutes to restore from tape.
    > Still, it isn't clear to me why the installer stomped on the CONTENTS
    > of /home/software.

    My wag is that original user software was user 503 or higher. When the
    system installer created a new user software, it specified user
    software as 500 (or maybe 501). Guess what happens when new UID 500
    is created with human-readable name identical to old UID 503? Something
    has to give. Check to make sure there is no home directory for
    user 503 (or whatever).

    Cheers!

    jim b.
    --