how to unlock urpmi database - Mandriva

This is a discussion on how to unlock urpmi database - Mandriva ; I don't know how it got locked, but how do I unlock the urpmi database? Thanks, George...

  1. how to unlock urpmi database

    I don't know how it got locked, but how do I unlock the urpmi database?
    Thanks, George

  2. Re: how to unlock urpmi database

    On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 07:00:20 -0400, George wrote:
    > I don't know how it got locked, but how do I unlock the urpmi database?

    You might try removing any lock files you find with

    ls -al /var/lib/urpmi/.*LOCK*
    ls -al /var/lib/urpmi/*LOCK*
    ls -al /var/lib/urpmi.*LOC*

    Reboot has cleared it for others.

  3. Re: how to unlock urpmi database

    On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 07:00:20 -0400, George wrote:

    > I don't know how it got locked, but how do I unlock the urpmi database?

    rm /var/lock/urpmi

  4. Re: how to unlock urpmi database

    Snowbat wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 07:00:20 -0400, George wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know how it got locked, but how do I unlock the urpmi database?

    > rm /var/lock/urpmi

    If Mandriva Linux Control Center (mcc) or urpmi is still running, exit it
    (or kill it) first. Then remove the lockfile, wherever it may be, if it
    still exists.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  5. Re: how to unlock urpmi database

    On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 00:17:18 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:

    > Snowbat wrote:
    >> On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 07:00:20 -0400, George wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't know how it got locked, but how do I unlock the urpmi
    >>> database?

    >> rm /var/lock/urpmi

    ^ Seems this should be /var/lib/urpmi/.LOCK as per BT's post (cloudy
    memory here, aided by a couple of forum posters who made the same mistake
    found through Google).

    > If Mandriva Linux Control Center (mcc) or urpmi is still running, exit
    > it (or kill it) first. Then remove the lockfile, wherever it may be, if
    > it still exists.

    Good point.

  6. Re: how to unlock urpmi database

    George wrote:

    > I don't know how it got locked, but how do I unlock the urpmi database?
    > Thanks, George

    The correct way would be to check to see if there is anything running that
    would lock the database, before you unlock the database.I have had the GUI
    MCC interface crash but urpmi is still running in the background and still
    updating the database. If you unlock the file and start a urpmi job with
    one still running your database could become seriously screwed up.

+ Reply to Thread