What is the function of the symbolic link .usr/src/linux? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on What is the function of the symbolic link .usr/src/linux? - Mandriva ; This is the conclusion of my earlier thread about getting sound working with a new kernel. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the modules setup for iptables right when compiling from scratch. I decided to settle for the ...

  1. What is the function of the symbolic link .usr/src/linux?

    This is the conclusion of my earlier thread about getting sound working with
    a new kernel. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the modules setup for
    iptables right when compiling from scratch.

    I decided to settle for the Multimedia kernel for my distro (Spring), with
    the latest NVidia driver (since there are no dkms packages for that
    kernel,) and with USB sound.

    To make it the default kernel, I changed all the symlinks in my /boot
    directory, but overlooked the one in /usr/src. It booted quite OK, but
    into runlevel 3. If I ran startx, I had a working desktop, but logging out
    took me back to the text login, as it should. Fixing that last symlink
    cured the problem.

    What does the symlink actually do? It is one of those things that I could
    simply take note of, but I am interested to know why it is needed.

    Doug.
    --
    Experience is not what happens to you; it's what you do with what happens to
    you.

  2. Re: What is the function of the symbolic link .usr/src/linux?

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > What does the symlink actually do? It is one of those things that I could
    > simply take note of, but I am interested to know why it is needed.

    My (perhaps overly simplistic) understanding is that third party programs
    and modules will look for the source files in /usr/src/linux by default. In
    order to accommodate the possibility that the sources for more than one
    kernel may be installed, the link is established to point to the sources
    for the currently running kernel.

    Jim

+ Reply to Thread