boot loader question - Mandriva

This is a discussion on boot loader question - Mandriva ; I have Mandriva 2007 and Kubuntu on my system. Both booted fine from the grub loader provided by Kubuntu which was the latter OS to be installed. I went into Mandriva control centre and tried (i thought) to make a ...

  1. boot loader question

    I have Mandriva 2007 and Kubuntu on my system. Both booted fine from the
    grub loader provided by Kubuntu which was the latter OS to be installed. I
    went into Mandriva control centre and tried (i thought) to make a graphical
    lilo bootloader. That worked great only i have now lost Kubuntu in the list.
    How could i restore it, Lilo preferably but anything that will work.

  2. Re: boot loader question

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 22:47:49 +0100, MikE Campbell wrote:
    > I have Mandriva 2007 and Kubuntu on my system. Both booted fine from the
    > grub loader provided by Kubuntu which was the latter OS to be installed. I
    > went into Mandriva control centre and tried (i thought) to make a graphical
    > lilo bootloader. That worked great only i have now lost Kubuntu in the list.
    > How could i restore it, Lilo preferably but anything that will work.

    Get into MCC, partition management, click the kubuntu partition and
    mount it at /kubuntu.

    Next, do a
    grep kubuntu /etc/fstab
    ls -1d /kubuntu/boot

    Now you can edit /etc/lilo.conf and add a stanza, using the highest version.
    Example:

    $ grep kubuntu /etc/fstab
    /dev/hdb10 /kubuntu ext3 user,noauto,defaults 1 2

    $ ls -1d /kubuntu/boot
    /kubuntu/boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic
    /kubuntu/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic

    Now you know the partition number and initrd/vlinux info for lilo.conf

    So the stanza would look something like
    image=/kubuntu/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic
    label="/kubuntu"
    initrd=/kubuntu/boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic
    append="ro quiet splash root=/dev/hdb10"
    vga=788 ^

    `-------.
    You have to have the correct partition set here----'

    Install you change with

    lilo -v

  3. Re: boot loader question

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 17:47:49 -0400, MikE Campbell wrote:

    > lilo bootloader. That worked great only i have now lost Kubuntu in thelist.
    > How could i restore it, Lilo preferably but anything that will work.

    In order to run lilo, with a stanza for another linux distribution,
    the boot filesystem/directory must be available on a mount point
    in the current system.

    For example, assuming the /boot for Kubuntu is in the root filesystem
    for Kubuntu, and assuming that filesystem is in /dev/hda10 ...
    - create a mount point such as /mnt/kubunu
    - mount the filesystem (add entry to fstab first)
    (The above can be done quite easily, using diskdrake)

    After creating /etc/lilo.conf, using mcc, add a stanza for kubuntu like
    image=/mnt/kubuntu/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.whatever
    label="knubuntu"
    root=/dev/hda10
    initrd=/mnt/kubuntu/boot/initrd-2.6.whatever.img
    append="parms needed for kubuntu"
    read-only

    Then run "lilo -v".

    Regards, Dave Hodgins