Urpmi hanging - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Urpmi hanging - Mandriva ; I have a server, running Spring 2007, that hangs on URPMI. Running it in terminal gives: [root@LizzyLinux donald]# urpmi --auto-update medium "update_source" is up-to-date medium "Main (Official2007.0-1)" is up-to-date medium "Main Updates (Official2007.0-2)" is up-to-date medium "Contrib (Official2007.0-5)" is up-to-date ...

  1. Urpmi hanging

    I have a server, running Spring 2007, that hangs on URPMI. Running it
    in terminal gives:

    [root@LizzyLinux donald]# urpmi --auto-update
    medium "update_source" is up-to-date
    medium "Main (Official2007.0-1)" is up-to-date
    medium "Main Updates (Official2007.0-2)" is up-to-date
    medium "Contrib (Official2007.0-5)" is up-to-date
    medium "Contrib Updates (Official2007.0-6)" is up-to-date

    At which point it hangs forever. I have removed the media, and re-added
    them, to no avail. I have also waited for three hours for it to finish,
    also to no avail.

    Is there a way to force some sort of complete reset?

    Donald

  2. Re: Urpmi hanging

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 08:55:07 -0400, donald tees wrote:
    > I have a server, running Spring 2007, that hangs on URPMI. Running it
    > in terminal gives:
    >
    > At which point it hangs forever. I have removed the media, and re-added
    > them, to no avail.

    I assume you mean, you were able to re-add the media but still hangs.

    > I have also waited for three hours for it to finish, also to no avail.

    I would do two things, from the command line. (1) update just the tools
    and (2) use wget. In the command center, where you add/enable/disable the
    mirrors, there is a Global option where you can set wget as default
    for when you use the gui tools.

    I have a script for updates. Instead of a mass command like you are
    using, the scipt does things in steps. Return code/log checks, cause a
    popup telling me what fails using xmessage.
    That way I know where the problems are.

    After updating the *hdlists.cz, It updates the package management
    tools, then updates the other packages.

    In your case, I would get a baseline of how long it takes for
    *hdlist.cz updates. I would time the first line, and how long it takes
    to compute updates before downloading by timing the last line to first
    package fetch. You would then have a idea of how long you should have
    to wait for your first download update.

    urpmi.update --wget -a
    urpmi --wget wget --auto
    urpmi --wget rpm --auto
    urpmi --wget urpmi --auto
    urpmi --wget rpmdrake --auto
    urpmi --wget --auto-select --auto

    --
    The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
    Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

  3. Re: Urpmi hanging

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 08:55:07 -0400, donald tees wrote:
    >> I have a server, running Spring 2007, that hangs on URPMI. Running it
    >> in terminal gives:
    >>
    >> At which point it hangs forever. I have removed the media, and re-added
    >> them, to no avail.

    > I assume you mean, you were able to re-add the media but still hangs.

    Yes.

    >> I have also waited for three hours for it to finish, also to no avail.

    > I would do two things, from the command line. (1) update just the tools
    > and (2) use wget. In the command center, where you add/enable/disable the
    > mirrors, there is a Global option where you can set wget as default
    > for when you use the gui tools.
    >
    > I have a script for updates. Instead of a mass command like you are
    > using, the scipt does things in steps. Return code/log checks, cause a
    > popup telling me what fails using xmessage.
    > That way I know where the problems are.
    >
    > After updating the *hdlists.cz, It updates the package management
    > tools, then updates the other packages.
    >
    > In your case, I would get a baseline of how long it takes for
    > *hdlist.cz updates. I would time the first line, and how long it takes
    > to compute updates before downloading by timing the last line to first
    > package fetch. You would then have a idea of how long you should have
    > to wait for your first download update.
    >
    > urpmi.update --wget -a
    > urpmi --wget wget --auto
    > urpmi --wget rpm --auto
    > urpmi --wget urpmi --auto
    > urpmi --wget rpmdrake --auto
    > urpmi --wget --auto-select --auto

    Each of these worked. The installation of wget.rpm,urpmi, and rpmdrake
    each gave the message that the package was installed, then exited normally.

    The final line (--auto-select --auto) hung for 1/2 hour, at which point
    I killed it.

    Donald

  4. Re: Urpmi hanging

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:48:58 -0400, donald tees wrote:

    > Each of these worked. The installation of wget.rpm,urpmi, and rpmdrake
    > each gave the message that the package was installed, then exited normally.

    That's normal, I only have an update once in a blue moon.

    > The final line (--auto-select --auto) hung for 1/2 hour, at which point
    > I killed it.

    What speed is the cpu and how much memory do you have.
    You might check for swapping about every 5 minutes, run
    free
    in another terminal to see if swapping is going on.

  5. Re: Urpmi hanging

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:48:58 -0400, donald tees wrote:
    >> Each of these worked. The installation of wget.rpm,urpmi, and rpmdrake
    >> each gave the message that the package was installed, then exited normally.

    > That's normal, I only have an update once in a blue moon.
    >

    >> The final line (--auto-select --auto) hung for 1/2 hour, at which point
    >> I killed it.

    > What speed is the cpu and how much memory do you have.
    > You might check for swapping about every 5 minutes, run
    > free
    > in another terminal to see if swapping is going on.

    free, without urpmi running, shows:
    [root@donald-tees donald]# free
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 255768 243752 12016 0 3104 85596
    -/+ buffers/cache: 155052 100716
    Swap: 1630556 111300 1519256

    After starting Urpmi in another terminal, it shows:
    [root@donald-tees donald]# free
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 255768 251856 3912 0 2168 66012
    -/+ buffers/cache: 183676 72092
    Swap: 1630556 111300 1519256
    [root@donald-tees donald]#

    It is an old Pentium III, running at 1 GHTZ.

    Donald

  6. Re: Urpmi hanging

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 12:37:15 -0400, donald tees wrote:

    > After starting Urpmi in another terminal, it shows:
    > [root@donald-tees donald]# free
    > total used free shared buffers cached
    > Mem: 255768 251856 3912 0 2168 66012
    > -/+ buffers/cache: 183676 72092
    > Swap: 1630556 111300 1519256
    > [root@donald-tees donald]#
    >
    > It is an old Pentium III, running at 1 GHTZ.

    Well, that bites, there is no swapping and your system is twice as
    fast as my firewall. A quick look on my firewall

    $ free
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 255992 215744 40248 0 52272 113868
    -/+ buffers/cache: 49604 206388
    Swap: 522072 0 522072

    Snippet from cat /proc/cpuinfo
    model name : AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
    stepping : 12
    cpu MHz : 451.103
    cache size : 64 KB

    And I ran the commands given starting at
    Tue Jun 26 13:58:01 CDT 2007

    Jun 26 14:02:30 fw urpmi: called with: --wget --auto-select --auto

    which completed
    # date
    Tue Jun 26 14:04:45 CDT 2007

    The only other thing I have done is use MCC to disable my removable media.
    See <================================= characters I added for visual aide.

    # cat /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg
    {
    downloader: wget
    verify-rpm: 1
    }

    Installation\ CD\ 1 removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/main {
    hdlist: hdlist.Installation CD 1.cz
    ignore <=================================
    key-ids: 26752624
    removable: /dev/hdc
    static
    with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz
    }

    Installation\ CD\ 2 removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/main2 {
    hdlist: hdlist.Installation CD 2.cz
    ignore <=================================
    key-ids: 26752624
    removable: /dev/hdc
    static
    with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz
    }

    Installation\ CD\ 3 removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/main3 {
    hdlist: hdlist.Installation CD 3.cz
    ignore <=================================
    key-ids: 26752624
    removable: /dev/hdc
    static
    with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz
    }

    # cat /etc/release

    $ uname -a
    Linux fw.home.invalid 2.6.17-8mdvlegacy
    #1 SMP Tue Dec 19 12:14:23 MST 2006 i586 AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor GNU/Linux

    You might want to look through /var/log/messages to verify you are
    not getting a bunch of hardware/software complaints.

    May not hurt to run memtest overnight.

    I assume you deleted all mirrors before adding them back. Then
    the only other thing I can think of would be to rebuild the rpm database.
    Which may take awhile.
    Looking through my notes suggests two methods.

    rpm --rebuilddb
    rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db* ; rpm --rebuilddb

    I would not interrupt either if me.

    --
    The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
    Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.
    Do a, man command_here or cat command_here, before using it.

  7. Re: Urpmi hanging

    Bit Twister wrote:
> [...]

    > removable: /dev/hdc
    > static
    > with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz
    > }
    >
    > # cat /etc/release
    > Mandriva Linux release 2007.0 (Official) for i586
    >
    > $ uname -a
    > Linux fw.home.invalid 2.6.17-8mdvlegacy
    > #1 SMP Tue Dec 19 12:14:23 MST 2006 i586 AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor GNU/Linux
    >
    > You might want to look through /var/log/messages to verify you are
    > not getting a bunch of hardware/software complaints.
    >
    > May not hurt to run memtest overnight.
    >
    > I assume you deleted all mirrors before adding them back. Then
    > the only other thing I can think of would be to rebuild the rpm database.
    > Which may take awhile.
    > Looking through my notes suggests two methods.
    >
    > rpm --rebuilddb
    > rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db* ; rpm --rebuilddb

    Tried the rebuild, and it appeared to work.

    However, URPMI --auto-update Still hangs forever.

    I hate to have to re-install everything, but it is getting to the point
    that is the only thing left.

    Donald

+ Reply to Thread