Update Mandriva 2006LE - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Update Mandriva 2006LE - Mandriva ; Hello Is somewhere a server which has the update files for mandrive 2006LE? Thanks D. Bertsch...

  1. Update Mandriva 2006LE

    Hello
    Is somewhere a server which has the update files for mandrive
    2006LE?

    Thanks

    D. Bertsch

  2. Re: Update Mandriva 2006LE

    D.Bertsch wrote:

    > Hello
    > Is somewhere a server which has the update files for mandrive
    > 2006LE?

    Sure you don't mean 2005LE?

    Rob

  3. Re: Update Mandriva 2006LE

    Am Tue, 26 Jun 2007 02:07:25 +1000 schrieb Rob:

    >> Is somewhere a server which has the update files for mandrive
    >> 2006LE?
    >>

    > Sure you don't mean 2005LE?

    Yes, it is Free Mandriva 2006

    Dieter

  4. Re: Update Mandriva 2006LE

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 18:02:03 +0100, D.Bertsch wrote:
    > Hello
    > Is somewhere a server which has the update files for mandrive
    > 2006LE?

    That seems like an odd question considering how long 2007 has been out.

    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ should give you a starting point.

    You might consider a clean install of 2007.0 or 2007.1

    I found I had less problems by doing a clean install into a spare 10
    gig partition instead of doing upgrades.

  5. Re: Update Mandriva 2006LE

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:16:32 +0100, M.Rohner wrote:
    > Am Tue, 26 Jun 2007 02:07:25 +1000 schrieb Rob:
    >
    >>> Is somewhere a server which has the update files for mandrive
    >>> 2006LE?

    >> Sure you don't mean 2005LE?

    > Yes, it is Free Mandriva 2006

    Try these -- and work your way back _up_ the directory structure and
    then back down to your 2006/2006LE stuff -- if it's there.
    These are my ref's for my 2005(LE) 'updates':

    http://ftp.surfnet.nl/ftp/pub/os/Lin...old/2005/i586/

    ftp://ftp.ciril.fr/pub/linux/mandrivalinux/official/

    ftp://mirror.fis.unb.br/pub/linux/Ma...05/i586/media/

    ftp://ftp.mandrivauser.de/rpm/GPL/10.2/RPMS

    ftp://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr...ree/10.2/i586/

    http://emmanuelfavrenicolin.free.fr/...iva/MDV2005LE/

    They all just now opened with the 'material' I expected.
    (One other gave me a 404 and I have now updated my bookmark folder...)

    IHTH!
    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts:

  6. Re: Update Mandriva 2006LE

    wrote:

    >Hello
    >Is somewhere a server which has the update files for mandrive
    >2006LE?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >D. Bertsch

    Is that Dieter Bertsch the power tool man?

    Harvie

  7. Re: Update Mandriva 2006LE

    Am Mon, 25 Jun 2007 23:57:01 -0400 schrieb Harvie Powis:

    >>D. Bertsch

    > Is that Dieter Bertsch the power tool man?
    >
    > Harvie

    No no, I am the linux newby man ;-)).

    Dieter

  8. Re: Update Mandriva 2006LE

    Am 25 Jun 2007 17:27:31 GMT schrieb Bit Twister:

    > That seems like an odd question considering how long 2007 has been out.
    >
    > http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ should give you a starting point.
    >
    > You might consider a clean install of 2007.0 or 2007.1
    >
    > I found I had less problems by doing a clean install into a spare 10
    > gig partition instead of doing upgrades.

    I would not like to upgrade to the version 2007. I have installed
    the version 2006 and it runs nice and easily. I would like to
    install only the security updates for the 2006. Maybe a
    misunderstanding because of my perfect English :-).

    Dieter

  9. Re: Update Mandriva 2006LE

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 13:36:05 -0400, D.Bertsch wrote:

    > I would not like to upgrade to the version 2007. I have installed
    > the version 2006 and it runs nice and easily. I would like to
    > install only the security updates for the 2006. Maybe a
    > misunderstanding because of my perfect English :-).

    Mandriva 2006 was released in Oct., 2005.
    As per http://www.mandriva.com/security/productlifetime updates
    for base packages are only provided for 18 months.

    Mandriva stopped providing updates for 2006 in April, 2007.

    Time to bite the bullet, and install 2007.1. That will
    be updated, until Oct, 2008. I'd do a clean install,
    with dual booting, until you have everything configured,
    and all data transferred to 2007.1.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  10. Re: Update Mandriva 2006LE

    Am Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:17:29 -0400 schrieb David W. Hodgins:

    > Mandriva 2006 was released in Oct., 2005.
    > As per http://www.mandriva.com/security/productlifetime updates
    > for base packages are only provided for 18 months.
    >
    > Mandriva stopped providing updates for 2006 in April, 2007.
    >
    > Time to bite the bullet, and install 2007.1. That will
    > be updated, until Oct, 2008. I'd do a clean install,
    > with dual booting, until you have everything configured,
    > and all data transferred to 2007.1.

    Thanks for this info about the product lifetime, I did not realyze
    it.
    If I install the 2007.1 then I will also do a clean install. But at
    first I have to dl the 4 GB.

    Regards, Dieter

  11. Re: Update Mandriva 2006LE

    On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 18:12:22 +0100, D.Bertsch wrote:
    > Am Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:17:29 -0400 schrieb David W. Hodgins:
    >
    >> Mandriva 2006 was released in Oct., 2005.
    >> As per http://www.mandriva.com/security/productlifetime updates
    >> for base packages are only provided for 18 months.
    >>
    >> Mandriva stopped providing updates for 2006 in April, 2007.
    >>
    >> Time to bite the bullet, and install 2007.1. That will
    >> be updated, until Oct, 2008. I'd do a clean install,
    >> with dual booting, until you have everything configured,
    >> and all data transferred to 2007.1.
    >>

    > Thanks for this info about the product lifetime, I did not realyze it.
    > If I install the 2007.1 then I will also do a clean install. But at
    > first I have to dl the 4 GB.

    Ya, but. In less than 6 months, folks around here will be sneering at
    you because you're not running Madriva 2008.

    Jonesy -- still happily productive with MDK 10.2

  12. Re: Update Mandriva 2006LE

    Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    > Ya, but. In less than 6 months, folks around here will be sneering
    > at you because you're not running Madriva 2008.

    I haven't noticed any "sneering" attitudes regarding those who use
    unsupported "old" operating systems, but I don't read every article.

  13. Re: Update Mandriva 2006LE

    Scott B. wrote:
    > Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    >> Ya, but. In less than 6 months, folks around here will be sneering
    >> at you because you're not running Madriva 2008.

    > I haven't noticed any "sneering" attitudes regarding those who use
    > unsupported "old" operating systems, but I don't read every article.

    You won't see sneering, but you will see lots of encouragement
    for the current version.

    An obsolete (beyond product lifetime) version will have security
    problems: no updates to fix them. The current version usually fixes
    most known problems with the previous version (and does sometimes
    introduce a few new problems, admittedly), and this is usually a
    good thing.

    Plus, most of those who respond on this forum do not have a system
    up and running with an old or obsolete version. There are some
    things they cannot check, or try out to make sure it works, so
    their ability to provide sound advice may be constrained to some
    extent.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --