installing from a CD - Mandriva

This is a discussion on installing from a CD - Mandriva ; Hey everyone! I'm new here... This is my first post. Sorry if this is a very stupid question, but I'm searching for help... I have just bought an HP laptop with Mandriva Linux. I've been a Windows user for over ...

  1. installing from a CD

    Hey everyone! I'm new here... This is my first post. Sorry if this is
    a very stupid question, but I'm searching for help... I have just
    bought an HP laptop with Mandriva Linux. I've been a Windows user for
    over 10 years, with no experience with any other operational system.
    Many people suggested that I stick with Mandriva, and I'm trying to do
    so. However, now I've been faced with this big obstacle: I don't know
    how to install new software, and it seems to me that it's really
    highly complex. I need to stall this driver to a wireless Internet
    modem that I've just purchased (I'm in Sao Paulo, Brazil). I installed
    the same CD onto my Windows desktop with no problems at all and got
    everything to work in less than 5 minutes... I read the word "command"
    everywhere, but I'm a total dummy when it comes to computer stuff...
    I'd need the very basics! Please, any help or just encouragement will
    be great!

    Thanks!
    Ricardo
    (São Paulo, Brazil)

  2. Re: installing from a CD

    RicBrazil wrote:
    > I don't know
    > how to install new software, and it seems to me that it's really
    > highly complex.

    I can help you with this. Installing software on linux is simple. Go to
    start->System->Configuration->Configure Your Computer. Click on software
    and install software. The you can browse and install the software you want.

    I need to stall this driver to a wireless Internet
    > modem that I've just purchased (I'm in Sao Paulo, Brazil). I installed
    > the same CD onto my Windows desktop with no problems at all and got
    > everything to work in less than 5 minutes... I read the word "command"
    > everywhere, but I'm a total dummy when it comes to computer stuff...
    > I'd need the very basics! Please, any help or just encouragement will
    > be great!

    This is where I can't really help. But before you buy hardware you need
    to check that it is compatibly with your system. Does the vendor happen
    to say if they've put the effort into writing a driver for you system or
    not? If they haven't then you may still be able to get it working but
    I'll have to leave that to the others in here, probably something to do
    with ndiswrapper or whatever it is, I'm not sure as I don't really use
    wireless.

    Lionel

  3. Re: installing from a CD

    RicBrazil wrote:

    > I need to stall this driver to a wireless Internet
    > modem that I've just purchased (I'm in Sao Paulo, Brazil). I installed
    > the same CD onto my Windows desktop with no problems at all and got
    > everything to work in less than 5 minutes... I read the word "command"
    > everywhere, but I'm a total dummy when it comes to computer stuff...
    > I'd need the very basics!

    If I understand your problem correctly, the most basic thing for
    you to do is find out if the software on the CD includes a driver
    for Linux. I suspect it does not, or you would have been given
    an option to install Linux software or ask about what OS you
    wished to install the software on. Or it might have done the
    install automatically, after checking your system to see what
    was needed.

    Second, find out if your modem is supported by Linux. The
    manufacturer may have Linux software available for download
    on its website, There may be software available from other
    sources that will support the modem, but you will have to
    check Linux websites that provide information on what products
    are supported.

    Third, if the manufacturer does not provide drivers for
    Linux, and no one has written a driver that will work with
    your modem, you will need to install software called
    ndiswrapper, which will allow you to install and use Winblows
    drivers.

    Fourth, if you want help, you must describe the problem in
    sufficient detail that someone can understand _exactly_
    what your problem is. Without knowing what modem you have,
    no one can tell you anything that will help.

    Among other things, you might try going to Google NewsGroups
    and searching for your modem in alt.os.linux.mandriva and
    alt.os.linux.mandrake, and see if someone has already asked
    about and received an answer on your modem. Google is your
    friend, both for searching forums such as this one and for
    searching the 'Net at large for solutions to computer problems!

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely