Guestbook being abused. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Guestbook being abused. - Mandriva ; Hi All, This isn't strictly Mandriva I know but I thought I'd ask you guys as you're very knowledgeable on most matters. The guestbook I put on my little web page has been abused by what I believe is called ...

  1. Guestbook being abused.

    Hi All,

    This isn't strictly Mandriva I know but I thought I'd
    ask you guys as you're very knowledgeable on most matters.
    The guestbook I put on my little web page has been
    abused by what I believe is called 'silent spamming' and
    I've had to disable it. I did this simply by moving the
    script from the web-site directory. Naturally this causes
    Apache to generate errors (it's my own Apache 2 server),
    which I've included a few of below. As you can see he/it
    uses different IP addresses every time, these are not
    legitimate entries to the guestbook trust me, they are
    happening approx every 90mins, 24hrs a day.

    The problem is this idiot who's trying to fill up my
    guestbook with around 20 posts a day (all porn surprisingly)
    isn't getting the message, or at least the program/script
    he's using isn't.

    Is there any way I can do something to show him that the
    guestbook is no longer there so that he buggers off to find
    someone else to annoy? I'd like to eventually put my
    guestbook back up and running but at the moment I can't.

    [Wed Jun 13 08:31:32 2007] [error] [client 72.241.42.62] Name
    "main::max_entries" used only once: possible typo at
    /var/www/html/r75/guestbook.cgi line 13.
    [Wed Jun 13 08:31:32 2007] [error] [client 72.241.42.62] Name
    "main::data_file" used only once: possible typo at
    /var/www/html/r75/guestbook.cgi line 11.
    [Wed Jun 13 09:59:19 2007] [error] [client 201.26.114.70] Name
    "main::max_entries" used only once: possible typo at
    /var/www/html/r75/guestbook.cgi line 13.
    [Wed Jun 13 09:59:19 2007] [error] [client 201.26.114.70] Name
    "main::data_file" used only once: possible typo at
    /var/www/html/r75/guestbook.cgi line 11.
    [Wed Jun 13 11:20:55 2007] [error] [client 195.2.114.1] Name
    "main::max_entries" used only once: possible typo at
    /var/www/html/r75/guestbook.cgi line 13.
    [Wed Jun 13 11:20:55 2007] [error] [client 195.2.114.1] Name
    "main::data_file" used only once: possible typo at
    /var/www/html/r75/guestbook.cgi line 11.

    Regards,
    Andy J.

  2. Re: Guestbook being abused.

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 17:03:25 +0100, Andy J. wrote:

    > Is there any way I can do something to show him that the
    > guestbook is no longer there so that he buggers off to find
    > someone else to annoy? I'd like to eventually put my
    > guestbook back up and running but at the moment I can't.

    Block his (or any) IP address (or block of addresses) from access to your
    system.

  3. Re: Guestbook being abused.

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 17:03:25 +0100, Andy J. wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any way I can do something to show him that the
    >> guestbook is no longer there so that he buggers off to find
    >> someone else to annoy? I'd like to eventually put my
    >> guestbook back up and running but at the moment I can't.

    > Block his (or any) IP address (or block of addresses) from access to your
    > system.

    That would work if he used the same IP address twice,
    unfortunately he's not.

    Andy J.

  4. Re: Guestbook being abused.

    Andy J. wrote:

    > Wes Newell wrote:
    >> On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 17:03:25 +0100, Andy J. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there any way I can do something to show him that the
    >>> guestbook is no longer there so that he buggers off to find
    >>> someone else to annoy? I'd like to eventually put my
    >>> guestbook back up and running but at the moment I can't.

    >> Block his (or any) IP address (or block of addresses) from access to your
    >> system.
    >>

    > That would work if he used the same IP address twice,
    > unfortunately he's not.
    >
    > Andy J.

    I suppose if he is determined to be stupid, you can't help that. If he is
    on a robot, the robot won't be able to work it out.

    Can you redirect him? I use Spam Poison (www.spampoison.com/ ) on my site.
    Even if the bot doesn't pick up SP's address, can you channel the old
    guestbook address into it (or an equivalent; there are others) without
    upsetting the genuine callers?

    I remember that a bot tried to logon to my genealogy site about 20 times,
    but didn't reply to the email to confirm (and it is so picky that even
    genuine members have trouble.)

    Doug.
    --
    If you want to make peace, you don't talk to your friends. You talk to your
    enemies.

+ Reply to Thread