Keeping children out - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Keeping children out - Mandriva ; It amasses me how quickly my grandson figured out how to bypass the sign on name and password I set up on my daughters machine for her mandriva 2006 installation. He was happy having xp to use on a dual ...

  1. Keeping children out

    It amasses me how quickly my grandson figured out
    how to bypass the sign on name and password I set
    up on my daughters machine for her mandriva 2006 installation.
    He was happy having xp to use on a dual boot setup but
    when he couldnt get online with xp he somehow got past
    the sign on and password for mandriva.
    How am I going to keep this kid at bay ?
    I know from past experience its only a matter of
    time until he wipe's something out.
    Help please,
    Tia,Dale

  2. Re: Keeping children out

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 02:22:18 +0000, dale's news stuff wrote:

    > It amasses me how quickly my grandson figured out
    > how to bypass the sign on name and password I set
    > up on my daughters machine for her mandriva 2006 installation.
    > He was happy having xp to use on a dual boot setup but
    > when he couldnt get online with xp he somehow got past
    > the sign on and password for mandriva.
    > How am I going to keep this kid at bay ?
    > I know from past experience its only a matter of
    > time until he wipe's something out.
    > Help please,
    > Tia,Dale

    Teach him to do something other than vegetate behind a computer. Buy him
    a bicycle or a fishing pole. Go play in the dirt with him. Break the
    electronic leash.

  3. Re: Keeping children out

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 02:22:18 GMT, dale's news stuff wrote:

    > He was happy having xp to use on a dual boot setup but
    > when he couldnt get online with xp he somehow got past
    > the sign on and password for mandriva.
    > How am I going to keep this kid at bay ?

    Get your daughter to ask how he did it.

    Configure/install grub boot loader with a password.
    That would keep him from grub's command interface.

    password protect bios and disable booting from cdrom so he cannot use
    a rescue cd.

    Last hole to cover up is to keep him from downloading a M$/Linux
    filesystem driver which allows him to munge linux files.

    Then daughter has to hide her password better.

  4. Re: Keeping children out

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 00:54:35 GMT, dale's news stuff wrote:

    > But now I have a problem....since I believe he has the admin password
    > I tried to change it but I couldnt find where to do it.

    > Any help on the admin password would be much appreciated.
    > You can send it right to me if you dont want to post it here.

    No, you post here, you read here.

    FYI, unless you like getting spam do not post your email in the header
    or text. If you want people to use it, you can munge it and give
    instructions on how to de-munge it.

    Click up a terminal,

    man passwd

    then
    su - root

    passwd root

  5. Re: Keeping children out

    dale's news stuff wrote:
    > But now I have a problem....since I believe he has the admin password
    > I tried to change it but I couldnt find where to do it.I changed her boot
    > loader 'grub' to require a password and I want to change her admin but this
    > time Im not giving it to her.
    > Any help on the admin password would be much appreciated.

    Log in. Go to terminal window.

    [jim@jb ~]$ su
    Password: oldrootpassword
    [root@jb jim]# passwd /* note spelling. Not password */
    Changing password for user root.
    New UNIX password: newpassword
    Retype new UNIX password: newpassword
    passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.
    [root@jb jim]# -d /* or exit */
    [jim@jb ~]$

    Cheers!

    jim b.
    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  6. Re: Keeping children out

    Em Sexta, 22 de Junho de 2007 03:22, dale's news stuff escreveu:

    > It amasses me how quickly my grandson figured out
    > I know from past experience its only a matter of
    > time until he wipe's something out.

    He won't... your past experience was with windows wasn't it?

    set a new user for him and the only thing he might wipe is it's own
    desktop...
    just don't let him get the root password, and you'll be fine.

    i let my (not yet done) 3 year old kid play with my computer with no fear at
    all...

    regards

  7. Re: Keeping children out

    Quoth ArameFarpado :

    > i let my (not yet done) 3 year old kid

    Your kid's not yet done? Three years in the womb?!?

    Poor mommy...

    ;-)

    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

  8. Re: Keeping children out

    on Friday 22 June 2007 12:49
    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 02:22:18 GMT, dale's news stuff wrote:
    >
    >> He was happy having xp to use on a dual boot setup but
    >> when he couldnt get online with xp he somehow got past
    >> the sign on and password for mandriva.

    Having other operating systems on the same computer is a
    risk in itself.

    >> How am I going to keep this kid at bay ?

    The best result is to modify the kid. Hopefully he will
    grow up.

    > Get your daughter to ask how he did it.
    >
    > Configure/install grub boot loader with a password.
    > That would keep him from grub's command interface.

    Lilo is also a possibility. Don't forget that single user
    mode does not require a password, so you have to disable
    that.

    > password protect bios and disable booting from cdrom so he cannot use
    > a rescue cd.

    Or boot floppy, or usb stick.

    > Last hole to cover up is to keep him from downloading a M$/Linux
    > filesystem driver which allows him to munge linux files.

    Basically impossible.

    > Then daughter has to hide her password better.

    Aim for one that is easy to *remember*, easy to type, and hard to
    guess. Long, upper case letters, lower case letters, digits,
    special characters, not words from the dictionary. Archaic and
    alternate spellings and abbreviations are usually good as is
    "leet", but the kid probably has a much better grasp of leet than
    the OP's daughter does. Munge something that is meaningful to her.
    The kid knows the family well so "private" things like the dog's
    name are very poor choices.

    Worst case scenario (the kid does not grow up) physical access to
    the hard drive is a problem.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  9. Re: Keeping children out

    "Peter D." wrote in message
    > on Friday 22 June 2007 12:49
    > in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 02:22:18 GMT, dale's news stuff wrote:
    >>
    >>> He was happy having xp to use on a dual boot setup but
    >>> when he couldnt get online with xp he somehow got past
    >>> the sign on and password for mandriva.

    > Having other operating systems on the same computer is a
    > risk in itself.
    >
    >>> How am I going to keep this kid at bay ?

    > The best result is to modify the kid. Hopefully he will
    > grow up.
    >
    >> Get your daughter to ask how he did it.
    >>
    >> Configure/install grub boot loader with a password.
    >> That would keep him from grub's command interface.

    > Lilo is also a possibility. Don't forget that single user
    > mode does not require a password, so you have to disable
    > that.
    >
    >> password protect bios and disable booting from cdrom so he cannot use
    >> a rescue cd.

    > Or boot floppy, or usb stick.
    >
    >> Last hole to cover up is to keep him from downloading a M$/Linux
    >> filesystem driver which allows him to munge linux files.

    > Basically impossible.

    Not Impossible but time consuming and very limiting to genuine web access.
    We have set a nephews computer up to do just that be he in Mandriva or
    Windows XP. By controlling his access through another machine that either
    OS has to connect to the Internet through. I used the same machine to
    control my daughter until she grew out of messing things up. It was also
    set up with a cron job to switch her web access off/on at set times of the
    day for school days and different for weekends. She soon started self
    regulating herself and not stopping up too late on schooldays. At 16 she is
    now more disciplined than her cousin.

    You can keep the root password from them completely and use VNC or SSH to
    configure, add or remove software, that way noone except yourself needs to
    know the information. Or make your daughter a member of the sudo users and
    hope your son doesn't know about sudo.

    Andrew Ed

  10. Re: Keeping children out

    Peter D. wrote:

    > Having other operating systems on the same computer is a
    > risk in itself.

    only when one of those operating systems is Winblows

+ Reply to Thread