DVD burning software - Mandriva

This is a discussion on DVD burning software - Mandriva ; Having moved over to full-time Linux about four months ago I now have occasion to burn video to DVD (the file on my HD is an avi) for the very first time. I fired up K3B, which I have used ...

  1. DVD burning software

    Having moved over to full-time Linux about four months ago I now have
    occasion to burn video to DVD (the file on my HD is an avi) for the very
    first time.

    I fired up K3B, which I have used a number of times for CD/DVD backup and
    music CD burning, only to realise that it doesn't appear to have a
    facility for ripping video to DVD, only burning data DVD.

    What I need now is a recommendation for some DVD burning software (along
    the lines of Nero?) with which I can create a DVD which is playable on
    most, if not all, DVD players. I've come across a few by googling but
    would prefer software recommended by someone here who has actually used
    it. Or have I missed something in K3B?

    TIA

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007.1 and Ubuntu 7.04

    the other English teams put together :-)

  2. Re: DVD burning software

    On 2007-06-20, Aardvark wrote:
    > What I need now is a recommendation for some DVD burning software (along
    > the lines of Nero?) with which I can create a DVD which is playable on
    > most, if not all, DVD players. I've come across a few by googling but
    > would prefer software recommended by someone here who has actually used
    > it. Or have I missed something in K3B?
    >
    > TIA

    What version of K3B do you have? I think it's only Version 1 and later
    that have decent DVD ripping built in?

    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/K3b?changelog=496

    Personally I use wine/DVD Shrink for ripping . Although I think the
    Linux solutions have matured now, I dont do as much .. er .. backups ..
    as I used to.

    Lordy

  3. Re: DVD burning software

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 10:40:04 -0400, Aardvark wrote:

    > What I need now is a recommendation for some DVD burning software (along
    > the lines of Nero?) with which I can create a DVD which is playable on
    > most, if not all, DVD players. I've come across a few by googling but

    I've used dvdrip to make backups of video dvds. Go through the preferences,
    to see which other packages need to be installed.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: DVD burning software

    On Jun 21, 12:40 am, Aardvark wrote:
    > Having moved over to full-time Linux about four months ago I now have
    > occasion to burn video to DVD (the file on my HD is an avi) for the very
    > first time.
    >
    > I fired up K3B, which I have used a number of times for CD/DVD backup and
    > music CD burning, only to realise that it doesn't appear to have a
    > facility for ripping video to DVD, only burning data DVD.
    >
    > What I need now is a recommendation for some DVD burning software (along
    > the lines of Nero?) with which I can create a DVD which is playable on
    > most, if not all, DVD players. I've come across a few by googling but
    > would prefer software recommended by someone here who has actually used
    > it. Or have I missed something in K3B?

    What you need is a dvd authoring application. When you say "ripping"
    people think you want to get stuff _from_ a dvd (ie. to convert DVD to
    DivX = ripping).

    There's a few out there, but quality / stability tends to vary. I'd
    suggest googling for dvdauthor (cmdline util), qdvdauthor (Qt GUI
    front end for dvdauthor). Since you've used K3B, I'll presume you use
    KDE, so you might also want to look at the 'KDE DVD Authoring
    Wizard'. Most apps will let you create menus with buttons, background
    images / music & such for your dvd too.

    Also, you're going to need to convert your .avi to .mpg (MPEG-2 I
    think), before you will be able to author a dvd. The authoring apps
    I've tinkered with don't support this inline / on the fly, so you will
    need to do that externally. mencoder can do this for you (if you have
    mplayer installed, you probably have mencoder too). Also, a google
    search for 'convert avi to dvd linux' will turn up a lot of help too.

    Here's a link that might get you started: http://www.linux.com/articles/53702

    Good luck!

    Cheers,

    - b.

  5. Re: DVD burning software

    Aardvark wrote:
    > Having moved over to full-time Linux about four months ago I now have
    > occasion to burn video to DVD (the file on my HD is an avi) for the very
    > first time.
    >
    > I fired up K3B, which I have used a number of times for CD/DVD backup and
    > music CD burning, only to realise that it doesn't appear to have a
    > facility for ripping video to DVD, only burning data DVD.
    >
    > What I need now is a recommendation for some DVD burning software (along
    > the lines of Nero?) with which I can create a DVD which is playable on
    > most, if not all, DVD players. I've come across a few by googling but
    > would prefer software recommended by someone here who has actually used
    > it. Or have I missed something in K3B?
    >
    > TIA

    Hi Aardvark
    Here are a few utilities for linux Mandriva 2007.
    devede, DVDshrink, k9copy, kdenlive, kdetv, Kino, kmediafact,
    cinelerra, tovid,
    thoggen. VideoConverter which uses ffmpeg, dvdstyler, dvgrab,
    grip, klvemkdvd, stopmotion.

    If you have used Easyurpmi and have downloaded all the mirrior
    repositories, then all of the above

    utilities will download from the command line or the software
    manager and install automatically.

    You will probably need mplayer and win32-codecs, Zine and the
    zine plugins transcode and maybe jre.

    If you get this far you will have a lot of DVD power.

    Happy hunting.
    Keep smiling.
    Don.

  6. Re: DVD burning software

    Aardvark wrote:

    > Having moved over to full-time Linux about four months ago I now have
    > occasion to burn video to DVD (the file on my HD is an avi) for the very
    > first time.

    avidemux is the one you want thats if i got your question right with this
    app you can do an awful lot just takes a bot of work top get it right

  7. Re: DVD burning software

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 14:40:04 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

    > I fired up K3B, which I have used a number of times for CD/DVD backup
    > and music CD burning, only to realise that it doesn't appear to have a
    > facility for ripping video to DVD, only burning data DVD.

    I went off half-****ed before I wrote that. I have since discovered that
    K3B DOES have a DVD burning facility (mea culpa- I didn't look close
    enough before shooting off my mouth, errr..... keyboard :-)).
    Unfortunately I couldn't get this to burn the DVD. Whether running K3B
    under su or a user gives me an error telling me that the software can't
    calculate the size of the finished file and burning is aborted.

    Could this have something to do with the fact that I'm trying to convert
    an avi file to DVD?

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007.1 and Ubuntu 7.04
    You can have it all. My empire of hurt.

    the other English teams put together :-)

  8. Re: DVD burning software

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 15:55:27 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 10:40:04 -0400, Aardvark
    > wrote:
    >
    >> What I need now is a recommendation for some DVD burning software
    >> (along the lines of Nero?) with which I can create a DVD which is
    >> playable on most, if not all, DVD players. I've come across a few by
    >> googling but

    > I've used dvdrip to make backups of video dvds. Go through the
    > preferences, to see which other packages need to be installed.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Cheers Dave.

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007.1 and Ubuntu 7.04
    You can have it all. My empire of hurt.

    the other English teams put together :-)

  9. Re: DVD burning software

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:39:37 -0700, BDO wrote:

    > What you need is a dvd authoring application. When you say "ripping"
    > people think you want to get stuff _from_ a dvd (ie. to convert DVD to
    > DivX = ripping).

    I know, but I tend to think of converting any format to any other format
    as 'ripping' irrespective of the media I use. That may not be technically
    correct- just call it an aberration in my thought processes :-)

    > There's a few out there, but quality / stability tends to vary. I'd
    > suggest googling for dvdauthor (cmdline util), qdvdauthor (Qt GUI front
    > end for dvdauthor).

    Will do.

    >Since you've used K3B, I'll presume you use KDE, so
    > you might also want to look at the 'KDE DVD Authoring Wizard'. Most
    > apps will let you create menus with buttons, background images / music &
    > such for your dvd too.

    Will do :-)

    > Also, you're going to need to convert your .avi to .mpg (MPEG-2 I
    > think), before you will be able to author a dvd.

    Well that's a pain I'll have to put up with :-). If I'd known that to
    begin with I wouldn't have downloaded the file as an avi. Might still
    download in mpeg format if I can.

    >The authoring apps
    > I've tinkered with don't support this inline / on the fly, so you will
    > need to do that externally. mencoder can do this for you (if you have
    > mplayer installed, you probably have mencoder too). Also, a google
    > search for 'convert avi to dvd linux' will turn up a lot of help too.

    Thanks for your advice. That should keep me going for a while :-)

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007.1 and Ubuntu 7.04
    You can have it all. My empire of hurt.

    the other English teams put together :-)

  10. Re: DVD burning software

    On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 11:14:58 +0930, don wrote:

    > Hi Aardvark
    > Here are a few utilities for linux Mandriva 2007. devede, DVDshrink,
    > k9copy, kdenlive, kdetv, Kino, kmediafact, cinelerra, tovid,
    > thoggen. VideoConverter which uses ffmpeg, dvdstyler, dvgrab, grip,
    > klvemkdvd, stopmotion.

    LOL it'll take a while to plough through that lot :-)

    > If you have used Easyurpmi and have downloaded all the mirrior
    > repositories, then all of the above
    > utilities will download from the command line or the software manager
    > and install automatically.

    What better way to do it? :-)

    > You will probably need mplayer and win32-codecs, Zine and the zine
    > plugins transcode and maybe jre.

    Got mplayer, got the win32 codecs so no prob there. Do you mean Xine? My
    jre is up-to-date (1.6.0_01 I think without checking)

    > If you get this far you will have a lot of DVD power.

    I can believe you there :-)

    > Keep smiling.

    I've seldom been known to stop :-)

    > Don.

    Aardvark

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007.1 and Ubuntu 7.04
    You can have it all. My empire of hurt.

    the other English teams put together :-)

  11. Re: DVD burning software

    Aardvark wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 11:14:58 +0930, don wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Aardvark
    >> Here are a few utilities for linux Mandriva 2007. devede, DVDshrink,
    >> k9copy, kdenlive, kdetv, Kino, kmediafact, cinelerra, tovid,
    >> thoggen. VideoConverter which uses ffmpeg, dvdstyler, dvgrab, grip,
    >> klvemkdvd, stopmotion.
    >>

    > LOL it'll take a while to plough through that lot :-)
    >
    >> If you have used Easyurpmi and have downloaded all the mirrior
    >> repositories, then all of the above
    >> utilities will download from the command line or the software manager
    >> and install automatically.

    > What better way to do it? :-)
    >
    >> You will probably need mplayer and win32-codecs, Zine and the zine
    >> plugins transcode and maybe jre.
    >>

    > Got mplayer, got the win32 codecs so no prob there. Do you mean Xine? My
    > jre is up-to-date (1.6.0_01 I think without checking)
    >
    >> If you get this far you will have a lot of DVD power.
    >>

    > I can believe you there :-)
    >
    >> Keep smiling.

    > I've seldom been known to stop :-)
    >
    >> Don.

    > Aardvark

    Hi Aardvark,

    Yes Xine, sorry.
    Mplayer will use Xine's plugins too I believe so more things
    available with Xine plugins.
    Mplayer does have a gui. urpmi mplayer-gui
    I find that Mplayer will play most videos.
    My favorite dvd player is kaffeine
    With large DVDs just extract the vobs and construct your own DVD.

    devede will convert most formats to MPEG files suitable for
    using say dvdstyler to compose your own DVD. dvdstyler works
    good once you get used to where to right click to do menus.

    k9copy very good and gives titles, sizes and previews.

    Transcode will download lots of dependencies that are required
    by other dvd programs.

    Tovid will download lots of stuff too and install it, like
    Mplayer engine, memcoder normalize, ffmpeg, and heaps more.

    I wish you well.
    Smiling.
    Don.

  12. Re: DVD burning software

    Aardvark wrote:

    > Having moved over to full-time Linux about four months ago I now have
    > occasion to burn video to DVD (the file on my HD is an avi) for the very
    > first time.
    >
    > I fired up K3B, which I have used a number of times for CD/DVD backup and
    > music CD burning, only to realise that it doesn't appear to have a
    > facility for ripping video to DVD, only burning data DVD.
    >
    > What I need now is a recommendation for some DVD burning software (along
    > the lines of Nero?) with which I can create a DVD which is playable on
    > most, if not all, DVD players. I've come across a few by googling but
    > would prefer software recommended by someone here who has actually used
    > it. Or have I missed something in K3B?
    >
    > TIA

    if u have plf source installed do a
    urpmi k9copy

    thats a good dvd burning piece.

    --
    Love is all u need.

  13. Re: DVD burning software

    Em Quarta, 20 de Junho de 2007 15:40, Aardvark escreveu:

    > What I need now is a recommendation for some DVD burning software (along
    > the lines of Nero?)

    along the lines of nero?

    devede

    http://www.rastersoft.com/programas/devede.html

    PS. there are others and better programs, but they don't work like nero...
    you need some tecnical knowledge about dvd video to use them.
    I prefer prepare the video with avidemux and then do the dvd-authoring
    (qdvdauthor, varsha, dvd-styler etc...) and in the end burn the disk with
    k3b... i like to "see" the results of each step i take.

    regards

  14. Re: DVD burning software

    "ArameFarpado" wrote in message
    > Em Quarta, 20 de Junho de 2007 15:40, Aardvark escreveu:
    >

    >> What I need now is a recommendation for some DVD burning software (along
    >> the lines of Nero?)

    > along the lines of nero?
    >
    > devede
    >
    > http://www.rastersoft.com/programas/devede.html
    >

    > PS. there are others and better programs, but they don't work like nero...
    > you need some tecnical knowledge about dvd video to use them.
    > I prefer prepare the video with avidemux and then do the dvd-authoring
    > (qdvdauthor, varsha, dvd-styler etc...) and in the end burn the disk with
    > k3b... i like to "see" the results of each step i take.
    >
    > regards

    You can also try 'AcidRip' for ripping dvd's, it's fairly easy and did a
    good job for me. Also take a looksee at dvdstyler for creating VCD's from
    your ripped files.

  15. Re: DVD burning software

    Aardvark wrote:

    > Having moved over to full-time Linux about four months ago I now have
    > occasion to burn video to DVD (the file on my HD is an avi) for the very
    > first time.
    >
    > I fired up K3B, which I have used a number of times for CD/DVD backup and
    > music CD burning, only to realise that it doesn't appear to have a
    > facility for ripping video to DVD, only burning data DVD.
    >
    > What I need now is a recommendation for some DVD burning software (along
    > the lines of Nero?) with which I can create a DVD which is playable on
    > most, if not all, DVD players. I've come across a few by googling but
    > would prefer software recommended by someone here who has actually used
    > it. Or have I missed something in K3B?
    >
    > TIA

    If you want something "along the lines of Nero",
    you could use Nero.

    http://www.nero.com/eng/NeroLINUX.html

+ Reply to Thread