partition corruption - Mandriva

This is a discussion on partition corruption - Mandriva ; Having just polished off the a lean installation of Mandriva Spring 2007 with the installation of a network printe, I closed down and went home. On reboting this morning my /usr partition on hde8 looked decidedly iffy. I rebooted on ...

  1. partition corruption

    Having just polished off the a lean installation of Mandriva Spring
    2007 with the installation of a network printe, I closed down and went
    home. On reboting this morning my /usr partition on hde8 looked
    decidedly iffy. I rebooted on knoppix and ran:

    e2fsck /dev/hde8 and got something like:

    Attempts to read block on hde8 resulted in a short read while reading
    block 148. Then similar re journal superblock and then ext3 journal for
    /dev/hde8.

    fsck -y -C -V /dev/hde8

    gave the same messages.

    Is it recoverable or should I reinstall over it?

  2. Re: partition corruption

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > Having just polished off the a lean installation of Mandriva Spring
    > 2007 with the installation of a network printe, I closed down and went
    > home. On reboting this morning my /usr partition on hde8 looked
    > decidedly iffy. I rebooted on knoppix and ran:
    >
    > e2fsck /dev/hde8 and got something like:
    >
    > Attempts to read block on hde8 resulted in a short read while reading
    > block 148. Then similar re journal superblock and then ext3 journal for
    > /dev/hde8.
    >
    > fsck -y -C -V /dev/hde8
    >
    > gave the same messages.
    >
    > Is it recoverable or should I reinstall over it?

    A superblock should have enough duplicates to be recoverable, you may
    however find some files or clutter of them, in lost+found. The main issue
    seems to be your harddrive. Test it running smartctl, maybe from a knoppix
    cd. Run badblocks as well but _after_ you have backed up your most
    important data because a dying harddrive may as well quit completely when
    stressed by badblocks. Remember, when bad blocks become visible to the OS,
    the harddrive already may have used up all the spare sectors.

  3. Re: partition corruption

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:23:04 +0200, Walter Mautner wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> Having just polished off the a lean installation of Mandriva Spring
    >> 2007 with the installation of a network printe, I closed down and went
    >> home. On reboting this morning my /usr partition on hde8 looked
    >> decidedly iffy. I rebooted on knoppix and ran:
    >>
    >> e2fsck /dev/hde8 and got something like:
    >>
    >> Attempts to read block on hde8 resulted in a short read while reading
    >> block 148. Then similar re journal superblock and then ext3 journal
    >> for /dev/hde8.
    >>
    >> fsck -y -C -V /dev/hde8
    >>
    >> gave the same messages.
    >>
    >> Is it recoverable or should I reinstall over it?

    > A superblock should have enough duplicates to be recoverable, you may
    > however find some files or clutter of them, in lost+found. The main
    > issue seems to be your harddrive. Test it running smartctl, maybe from a
    > knoppix cd. Run badblocks as well but _after_ you have backed up your
    > most important data because a dying harddrive may as well quit
    > completely when stressed by badblocks. Remember, when bad blocks become
    > visible to the OS, the harddrive already may have used up all the spare
    > sectors.

    Thanks. smartctlk confirmed that the drive was OK but nothing else
    worked. I reinstalled, formatting only a couple of partitions and
    restored everything. It is fine now. Thanks for your advice.

    Ragards

    Alan

  4. Re: partition corruption

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 10:23:31 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:

    > Having just polished off the a lean installation of Mandriva Spring
    > 2007 with the installation of a network printe, I closed down and went
    > home. On reboting this morning my /usr partition on hde8 looked
    > decidedly iffy. I rebooted on knoppix and ran:
    >
    > e2fsck /dev/hde8 and got something like:
    >
    > Attempts to read block on hde8 resulted in a short read while reading
    > block 148. Then similar re journal superblock and then ext3 journal for
    > /dev/hde8.
    >
    > fsck -y -C -V /dev/hde8
    >
    > gave the same messages.
    >
    > Is it recoverable or should I reinstall over it?

    Try running 'badblocks' on the partition before you do anything.

+ Reply to Thread