Free 2007 and PowerPack+ - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Free 2007 and PowerPack+ - Mandriva ; I got Mandriva Free 2007 from a magazine and installed. It's quite OK now, and I run the upates every now and then. Yesterday I got the 2007 Spring PowerPack as a gift. I cann't see a good reason, but ...

  1. Free 2007 and PowerPack+

    I got Mandriva Free 2007 from a magazine and installed. It's quite OK now,
    and I run the upates every now and then.
    Yesterday I got the 2007 Spring PowerPack as a gift. I cann't see a good
    reason, but I ask the gurus anyway: I there a reason why I should (or not)
    try an upgrade with this new DVD?

    TIA

    Herman Viaene
    --
    Veel mensen danken hun goed geweten aan hun slecht geheugen. (G. Bomans)

    Lots of people owe their good conscience to their bad memory (G. Bomans)

  2. Re: Free 2007 and PowerPack+

    herman.viaene@thuis.be wrote:

    > I got Mandriva Free 2007 from a magazine and installed. It's quite OK now,
    > and I run the upates every now and then.
    > Yesterday I got the 2007 Spring PowerPack as a gift. I cann't see a good
    > reason, but I ask the gurus anyway: I there a reason why I should (or not)
    > try an upgrade with this new DVD?

    The fact that Powerpack contains various non-free drivers and other non-free
    software may be of importance, depending on whether your needs are fully
    met with the free version you currently have installed.

    For myself, with a free version I always have to install manually some
    non-free multimedia codecs, video drivers and other such things. Also you
    may have a philosophical problem with installing non-free software on your
    computer. I recall seeing a list on Mandriva's website for an earlier
    version showing the differences between the various versions they release,
    and also what non-free software was on the retail versions vs. the free
    version(s).

    HTH

    Rob.

  3. Re: Free 2007 and PowerPack+

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 11:15:31 +0200, herman.viaene@thuis.be wrote:

    > Yesterday I got the 2007 Spring PowerPack as a gift. I cann't see a good
    > reason, but I ask the gurus anyway: I there a reason why I should (or not)
    > try an upgrade with this new DVD?

    I never do an upgrade, just install in another 10~ partition and make
    it a multi-boot system. That way if there are problems, I can boot the
    old install or look in the old install config files to see what
    I changed or needs changing in the new install.

    I think 2007.1 KDE is faster and I can run FlightGear longer without problems.
    Downside is my mouse pointer is off by 4 inches. Takes several logins
    for it to figure out where it is supposed to be. I have no problems
    like that on 2007.0.

    Have only seen one other person with the mouse problem.

    Guessing a problem with my on board ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 (RS480 5954)
    hardware and plf video driver running with 32 bit install.

    Have also seen problems on shutdown after using the usb printer and
    powering it off. Get lots of interrupt complaints, and system shutdown hangs
    requiring a system poweroff instead of a clean shutdown.

    Have not seen anyone complain about that problem.

    System HP Microsoft Windoes XP Media Center Edition 2005
    printer HP Photosmart C3100 series c3150
    joystick Logitech Attack 3
    video ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 (RS480 5954) (on board)
    monitor HWP 254c 19" FLat panel LCD H:30-83 Khz V:50-76 Khz
    "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    glxgears 5217 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1042.517 FPS

    sda disk Seagate ATA ST3200827AS 200 gig [sata_sil]
    sdb disk Seagate ATA ST3500641AS 500 gig [sata_sil]

    sound ATI IXP400 AC'97 Audio Controller [snd-atiixp]
    cd burnner TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-H552L (CD 40x, DVD 5x)
    cpu AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+
    nic Realtek Semiconductor RTL-8139 [8139too]
    firewire IEEE 1394 IPv4 Driver [eth1394]
    memory 2 129 ns 512 MB (Single-bank Connection)
    kvm IOGEAR GCS84B 4 port desktop switch KVM Switch

+ Reply to Thread