Anybody used the "Linux" keyboard? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Anybody used the "Linux" keyboard? - Mandriva ; I have upgraded my hardware but I'm still using my beloved Logitech optical mouse and trusty NEC 229-00009 KB-5923 W95 CHICONY keyboard ( http://reviews.cnet.com/keyboards/ne...-31486272.html ). It's a no-nonsense 104-key, PS/2 keyboard that has proven durable and comfortable. I like the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Anybody used the "Linux" keyboard?

  1. Anybody used the "Linux" keyboard?

    I have upgraded my hardware but I'm still using my beloved Logitech
    optical mouse and trusty NEC 229-00009 KB-5923 W95 CHICONY keyboard
    (http://reviews.cnet.com/keyboards/ne...-31486272.html).
    It's a no-nonsense 104-key, PS/2 keyboard that has proven durable and
    comfortable. I like the layout and the balance between features and
    footprint. I also like the feel of the action -- the keys have a nice
    "break" and don't have that cheap feel when they bottom out.

    Unfortunately, it's getting a bit old. I cleaned the orange carpal
    tunnel warning sticker off a couple of years ago and the "D", "K", "M"
    and "L" keys are losing their images. Also, the new hardware is all
    black and this keyboard is beige (or "Putty" or whatever they called off
    white).

    I'm looking for a new PS/2 keyboard that looks better (is black) without
    giving up the feel that I enjoy in the NEC. I'm considering the
    CyMotion Master Linux
    (http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/cy...ster_linux.htm),
    but I don't know anything about it. There's no place that I know of to
    go try it out, though it is evidently a Cherry product and they seem to
    have a very good reputation. It also has the cache of being a "Linux"
    keyboard. I assume this means that it has a pic of Tux on what would
    otherwise be the "Windows" key. Also, it comes bundled with Suse and
    KeyMan software which has evidently been adapted for Linux.

    Another option I'm looking at is the Saitek PZ30AU. It's an illuminated
    keyboard designed for uber-cool gamers, which I am not
    (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823175103). This
    is, of course, a Windows oriented keyboard and Linux may not enjoy some
    features.

    I spend most of my time on the machine browsing the web, working email
    and word processing. Anybody have any wisdom for me here?

    Thanks.

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    The fashion wears out more apparel than the man.
    -- William Shakespeare, "Much Ado About Nothing"

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  2. Re: Anybody used the "Linux" keyboard?

    Mark Adams wrote:

    > I'm looking for a new PS/2 keyboard that looks better (is black) without
    > giving up the feel that I enjoy in the NEC. I'm considering the
    > CyMotion Master Linux
    >(http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/cy...ster_linux.htm),
    > but I don't know anything about it.


    Works for me! I've always preferred Cherry keyboards - they're really well
    made, and very robust. The one I'm using right now is a G84-4100PTMGB /02
    which is a small footprint keyboard (with a Windows key, alas), but I have
    a Cymotion one on my main machine. The only thing you might not like is
    that the keyboard is slightly noisy in use compared to some others.

    Chris

  3. Re: Anybody used the "Linux" keyboard?

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > Mark Adams wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking for a new PS/2 keyboard that looks better (is black) without
    >> giving up the feel that I enjoy in the NEC. I'm considering the
    >> CyMotion Master Linux
    >>(http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/cy...ster_linux.htm),
    >> but I don't know anything about it.

    >
    > Works for me! I've always preferred Cherry keyboards - they're really well
    > made, and very robust. The one I'm using right now is a G84-4100PTMGB /02
    > which is a small footprint keyboard (with a Windows key, alas), but I have
    > a Cymotion one on my main machine. The only thing you might not like is
    > that the keyboard is slightly noisy in use compared to some others.


    I prefer $8 cheapies. They work fine and when they get grungy I can
    just pitch them in favor of one of the nice new $8 keyboards I keep on
    the shelf.

    As for "Linux keyboards" I figure anything that doesn't have a "Reboot
    Windows Daily" key is a Linux keyboard...


    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

  4. Re: Anybody used the "Linux" keyboard?

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > I prefer $8 cheapies. They work fine and when they get grungy I can
    > just pitch them in favor of one of the nice new $8 keyboards I keep on
    > the shelf.
    >


    Ever put one through the dishwasher?

    > As for "Linux keyboards" I figure anything that doesn't have a "Reboot
    > Windows Daily" key is a Linux keyboard...


    Indeed.


    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    ....the prevailing Catholic odor - incense, wax, centuries of mild bleating
    from the lips of the flock.
    -- Thomas Pynchon, _Gravity's Rainbow_

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  5. Re: Anybody used the "Linux" keyboard?

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > Mark Adams wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking for a new PS/2 keyboard that looks better (is black) without
    >> giving up the feel that I enjoy in the NEC. I'm considering the
    >> CyMotion Master Linux
    >> (http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/cy...ster_linux.htm),
    >> but I don't know anything about it.

    >
    > Works for me! I've always preferred Cherry keyboards - they're really well
    > made, and very robust. The one I'm using right now is a G84-4100PTMGB /02
    > which is a small footprint keyboard (with a Windows key, alas), but I have
    > a Cymotion one on my main machine. The only thing you might not like is
    > that the keyboard is slightly noisy in use compared to some others.
    >
    > Chris


    I'm not really concerned about noise. The NEC is a little on the noisy
    side.

    Thanks for the input Christopher. I'm going to consider the Cherry more
    seriously.

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    ....the prevailing Catholic odor - incense, wax, centuries of mild bleating
    from the lips of the flock.
    -- Thomas Pynchon, _Gravity's Rainbow_

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  6. Re: Anybody used the "Linux" keyboard?

    Mark Adams wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> I prefer $8 cheapies. They work fine and when they get grungy
    >> I can just pitch them in favor of one of the nice new $8
    >> keyboards I keep on the shelf.

    >
    > Ever put one through the dishwasher?


    Not when I always have a stock of them on the shelf.


    --
    Blinky
    Killfiling all posts from Google Groups
    Details: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

  7. Re: Anybody used the "Linux" keyboard?

    Mark Adams wrote:

    No, but if you're looking for a great replacement, shop eBuy for the IBM Model-M "clicky". These
    things were made to last. There is also a lesser found space-saver version that doesn't have the
    keypad on the right.

  8. Re: Anybody used the "Linux" keyboard?

    Mark Adams wrote:

    > I assume this means that it has a pic of Tux on what would
    > otherwise be the "Windows" key.


    Yes, there and on the top left-hand corner. Look at the large scale
    image. Otherwise it looks pretty much standard, except that it
    is "Windows-free." There are cursor keys in the bottom L.H. If you like
    Cherry's reputation, I would say go for it.

    Personally, I prefer an industry-standard keyboard, such as would be used in
    offices. They just aren't available here in electronics stores.

    Doug.


  9. Re: Anybody used the "Linux" keyboard?

    On 2007-06-18, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    > As for "Linux keyboards" I figure anything that doesn't have a "Reboot
    > Windows Daily" key is a Linux keyboard...


    When used with an off-the-shelf HP keyboard, the following
    ~/.Xmodmap file makes the key to the left of 'A' act as
    Ctrl, and it makes the funny symbol keys on the spacebar's
    row useful for easier reloading and closing Firefox windows.
    You may need to use xev to find the right keycode numbers
    for your keyboard.

    vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv cut here vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    keycode 22 = BackSpace
    add control = Caps_Lock
    keycode 113 = Alt_R Meta_R
    add mod1 = Alt_R
    keycode 115 = w
    keycode 116 = w
    keycode 117 = r
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ cut here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net
    (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

  10. Re: Anybody used the "Linux" keyboard?

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2007, Mark Adams wrote:

    > Thanks for the input Christopher. I'm going to consider the Cherry
    > more seriously.


    Make sure you have the recent update of console-tools so that
    setkeycodes works properly and all those extra keys work very nicely!

    Robert
    --
    La grenouille songe..dans son ch√Ęteau d'eau
    Links and things http://rmstar.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: Anybody used the "Linux" keyboard?

    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    > On 2007-06-18, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>
    >> As for "Linux keyboards" I figure anything that doesn't have a "Reboot
    >> Windows Daily" key is a Linux keyboard...

    >
    > When used with an off-the-shelf HP keyboard, the following
    > ~/.Xmodmap file makes the key to the left of 'A' act as
    > Ctrl, and it makes the funny symbol keys on the spacebar's
    > row useful for easier reloading and closing Firefox windows.
    > You may need to use xev to find the right keycode numbers
    > for your keyboard.
    >
    > vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv cut here vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    > keycode 22 = BackSpace
    > add control = Caps_Lock
    > keycode 113 = Alt_R Meta_R
    > add mod1 = Alt_R
    > keycode 115 = w
    > keycode 116 = w
    > keycode 117 = r
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ cut here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^


    Thanks, Robert.


    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

  12. Re: Anybody used the "Linux" keyboard?

    the_bmac wrote:
    > Mark Adams wrote:
    >
    > No, but if you're looking for a great replacement, shop eBuy for the IBM
    > Model-M "clicky". These things were made to last. There is also a
    > lesser found space-saver version that doesn't have the keypad on the right.


    I really do love the model-M. I'd pay a penny or two for a new (or like
    new) black one. I like the 10-key pad BTW.

    I also like the old Northgate Omnikey which is now marketed by somebody
    else as the Avant Star (I think). It is also not black and it's got a
    bunch of extra plastic around it to hold pencils and those Word,
    WordPerfect and WordStar templates that used to be so handy. If it came
    in black, I'd own one of those, even at the > $100 pricetag.

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    Real programmers don't write in BASIC. Actually, no programmers write
    in BASIC after reaching puberty.

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  13. Re: Anybody used the "Linux" keyboard?

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > Mark Adams wrote:
    >
    >> I assume this means that it has a pic of Tux on what would
    >> otherwise be the "Windows" key.

    >
    > Yes, there and on the top left-hand corner. Look at the large scale
    > image. Otherwise it looks pretty much standard, except that it
    > is "Windows-free." There are cursor keys in the bottom L.H. If you like
    > Cherry's reputation, I would say go for it.
    >
    > Personally, I prefer an industry-standard keyboard, such as would be used in
    > offices. They just aren't available here in electronics stores.
    >
    > Doug.
    >


    I don't mind that layout either. It's the feel that I'm into.

    In college I shocked my friends by paying the unthinkable sum of about
    $55 for a keyboard (I think it was some model of Chicony) that I would
    still be using if it had the extra Windows keys. The feel was
    exquisite; travel was just right, break was deliberate without being
    "snappy" or "mooshy", keys in all the right places.

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    Pardon me, but do you know what it means to be TRULY ONE with your BOOTH!

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  14. Re: Anybody used the "Linux" keyboard?

    On 2007-06-19, Mark Adams wrote:
    >
    > I don't mind that layout either. It's the feel that I'm into.
    >
    > In college I shocked my friends by paying the unthinkable sum of about
    > $55 for a keyboard (I think it was some model of Chicony) that I would
    > still be using if it had the extra Windows keys. The feel was
    > exquisite; travel was just right, break was deliberate without being
    > "snappy" or "mooshy", keys in all the right places.


    I don't know whether they still sell it, but a few years
    ago, Keytronic had a model, called Ergo Force, that had a
    unique advantage in feel. Different keys have different
    activation force, more force required for the index and
    middle fingers, less force required for pinkies. I found it
    helped me type much faster and a little more accurately.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net
    (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

  15. Re: Anybody used the "Linux" keyboard?

    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    > I don't know whether they still sell it, but a few years
    > ago, Keytronic had a model, called Ergo Force, that had a
    > unique advantage in feel. Different keys have different
    > activation force, more force required for the index and
    > middle fingers, less force required for pinkies. I found it
    > helped me type much faster and a little more accurately.
    >


    Looks as if Keytronic has built that feature into a number of boards. I
    am eyeing the Designer pretty closely. It seems to be okay and is only
    about $31 at newegg. It's a contender too.

    Thanks for the tip Robert.

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    It used to be the fun was in
    The capture and kill.
    In another place and time
    I did it all for thrills.
    -- Lust to Love

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


+ Reply to Thread