graphical desktop - Mandriva

This is a discussion on graphical desktop - Mandriva ; hi all.... mandriva spring kde purring along so of course I had to start messing with it in the control panel--->configure 3d effects I clicked from "native support" to "Xgl"... now when the comp boots it goes straight to terminal ...

  1. graphical desktop

    hi all.... mandriva spring kde purring along so of course I had to start
    messing with it
    in the control panel--->configure 3d effects I clicked from "native support"
    to "Xgl"... now when the comp boots it goes straight to terminal with no
    desktop...couldn't find anything after running XFdrake..obviously the wrong
    place to look... if anyone knows how I can get my desktop back I would
    greatly appreciate it..thanks

  2. Re: graphical desktop

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 07:37:14 GMT, Cynthia wrote:
    > hi all.... mandriva spring kde purring along so of course I had to start
    > messing with it

    Been there, done that, bought the T shirt, hope to not go back.

    > in the control panel--->configure 3d effects

    I will never do it again without having a hot backup.

    > if anyone knows how I can get my desktop back
    > I would greatly appreciate it..thanks

    I would try, mcc and see if it will run without gui.

    Since I saw some compiles for my ATI card, I talked at $DEITY, told myself,
    "I knew I should have made a hot backup."
    Then went ahead and reinstalled.

    If nothing else, you get to pull out your Restore Procedure document
    and your backup media and verify that those work.

    It is kinda nice to download/burn something like knoppix so you have a
    nice live gui cd you can use for getting to your system to back up
    stuff which might not be on your backups.

    A nice feature to have is a multi-boot system where you can boot the
    old release or have a copy of your current install and can boot it.
    I keep several spare ~10 gig partitions around for those kinds of
    activities.

    I can boot the cd, mount the current install and a backup a partition,
    I get to a root prompt,
    use gparted to format the /target_partition then

    cp -a /partition_to_copy/* /target_partition

    I can then, kwrite /target_partition/etc/fstab, and change something like
    /dev/sda9 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    to /dev/sda13 / ext3 defaults 1 1

    then modify the boot loader config file to allow selection for the backup os.

  3. Re: graphical desktop

    Cynthia wrote:

    > hi all.... mandriva spring kde purring along so of course I had to start
    > messing with it
    > in the control panel--->configure 3d effects I clicked from "native
    > support" to "Xgl"... now when the comp boots it goes straight to terminal
    > with no desktop...couldn't find anything after running XFdrake..obviously
    > the wrong place to look... if anyone knows how I can get my desktop back I
    > would greatly appreciate it..thanks

    u might want to put in the install cd and do an upgrade. that might work.

    --
    Love is all u need.

  4. Re: graphical desktop

    Em Domingo, 17 de Junho de 2007 08:37, Cynthia escreveu:

    > hi all.... mandriva spring kde purring along so of course I had to start
    > messing with it
    > in the control panel--->configure 3d effects I clicked from "native
    > support" to "Xgl"... now when the comp boots it goes straight to terminal
    > with no desktop...couldn't find anything after running XFdrake..obviously
    > the wrong place to look... if anyone knows how I can get my desktop back I
    > would greatly appreciate it..thanks

    try this

    # urpme mesa-demos

    # urpme task-3ddesktop

    restart... if you can't still load your X
    the type
    # X

    and give us the last page of the output.

    Regards

  5. Re: graphical desktop

    I think I may have lucked out.... when I got to the login screen I switched
    to drak3d, that gave me the option to switch back to "native support"
    instead of "Xgl"... typed in the root password, restarted... then back to
    the login screen, changed the manager back to "default" and everything's
    back to normal
    thanks to all that responded
    "Cynthia" wrote in message
    > hi all.... mandriva spring kde purring along so of course I had to start
    > messing with it
    > in the control panel--->configure 3d effects I clicked from "native
    > support" to "Xgl"... now when the comp boots it goes straight to terminal
    > with no desktop...couldn't find anything after running XFdrake..obviously
    > the wrong place to look... if anyone knows how I can get my desktop back I
    > would greatly appreciate it..thanks

  6. Re: graphical desktop

    Em Domingo, 17 de Junho de 2007 18:10, Cynthia escreveu:

    > I think I may have lucked out.... when I got to the login screen I
    > switched to drak3d, that gave me the option to switch back to "native
    > support" instead of "Xgl"...

    In the first post you gave the impression that you do not have X working
    anymore... if you have told us that you still have the login screen, it
    would be easier.

    Regards

+ Reply to Thread