Problem - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Problem - Mandriva ; Greetings, On Mandriva 2007 spring, x86_64. I re-installed using auto-allocate with /usr. (Gives me "/", Swap, /usr and /home). Using kde, did all the upgrades. (about 460Mb) On reboot, kde is gone! Gnome has taken over. Ok, so went to ...

  1. Problem

    Greetings,
    On Mandriva 2007 spring, x86_64.
    I re-installed using auto-allocate with /usr.
    (Gives me "/", Swap, /usr and /home).
    Using kde, did all the upgrades. (about 460Mb)
    On reboot, kde is gone! Gnome has taken over.
    Ok, so went to configure your computer and selected kde and clicked
    on "select all" and it came back with message "These files cannot be
    installed".
    Tried to do an urpmi kde (as root) and came back with no such file (or
    something in that nature)
    (This is almost starting to look like MS imposing what applications we can
    run).
    Did an upgrade installation, to no effect
    Has anyone experienced this problem? and what is the solution other than
    having to do a new full installation, or use a different distro, like the
    latest PCLinux.
    I have been a continuous user of Mandrake and then Mandriva and even teach
    it at our computer club and would like to continue to use it, but I dont
    like gnome and i dont like these kind of impositions.
    Any suggestions on how to correct this problem?
    TIA

    --
    Rgds.
    Edward

  2. Re: Problem

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:46:42 +1000, Edward wrote:
    > Greetings,

    I saw you subject and almost skipped it.
    I only opened your post to give you some advice.

    You may want to read

    Since I am here,

    > On Mandriva 2007 spring, x86_64.
    > I re-installed using auto-allocate with /usr.
    > (Gives me "/", Swap, /usr and /home).
    > Using kde, did all the upgrades. (about 460Mb)

    I wonder if you had the wrong mirror set.
    I decided to go with the 32 bit install instead of the 64 bit.
    Some plugins have not been released for 64 bit.

    I use http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ to make sure I pick what mirror I
    need to use.

  3. Re: Problem

    Edward wrote:
    > Greetings,
    > On Mandriva 2007 spring, x86_64.
    > Using kde, did all the upgrades. (about 460Mb)
    > On reboot, kde is gone! Gnome has taken over.

    kde is working fine on my system, Microtel, nVidia nForce 410
    motherboard with two dual-core AMD 64-bit cpus, 2007.1 64-bit,
    which interalia installs a fair amount of 32-bit software which
    will run fine. BitTwistger has probably pegged your problem.

    If you had kde working once, I doubt it has disappeared.
    In /etc/inittab, make sure your default run level is set to
    id:3:initdefault: /* a 3 instead of the 5 for GUI */
    Reboot and try starting up kde or gnome with
    startx
    startx kde
    startx gnome

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: Problem

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 00:59:15 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:

    > Edward wrote:
    >> Greetings,
    >> On Mandriva 2007 spring, x86_64.
    >> Using kde, did all the upgrades. (about 460Mb)
    >> On reboot, kde is gone! Gnome has taken over.

    > kde is working fine on my system, Microtel, nVidia nForce 410
    > motherboard with two dual-core AMD 64-bit cpus, 2007.1 64-bit,
    > which interalia installs a fair amount of 32-bit software which
    > will run fine. BitTwistger has probably pegged your problem.
    >
    > If you had kde working once, I doubt it has disappeared.
    > In /etc/inittab, make sure your default run level is set to
    > id:3:initdefault: /* a 3 instead of the 5 for GUI */
    > Reboot and try starting up kde or gnome with
    > startx
    > startx kde
    > startx gnome

    If it really is uninstalled, urpmi kdebase

    Note that there is also kdebase4 (KDE 4) and supporting packages on the
    mirrors but it is not entirely stable yet.