2007 Spring: CUPS Problem - Mandriva

This is a discussion on 2007 Spring: CUPS Problem - Mandriva ; I installed the Spring 2007 version, and everything was going great until I tried to print a file. At that point I discovered that my computer isn't seeing the printer on my husband's system, which is the one we use ...

  1. 2007 Spring: CUPS Problem

    I installed the Spring 2007 version, and everything was going great
    until I tried to print a file. At that point I discovered that my
    computer isn't seeing the printer on my husband's system, which is the
    one we use for all B&W printing. His computer still sees my color
    printer just fine. I found on the Internet that there is a CUPS problem
    with finding network printers, but I took that to mean those actually
    attached to the network, not ones attached to a computer on the
    network. Here is the cups.conf file from the new system:

    LogLevel info
    SystemGroup lpadmin root
    Group sys
    User lp
    Listen *:631
    Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
    Browsing On
    DefaultAuthType Basic

    Order Deny,Allow
    Deny From All
    Allow From 127.0.0.1
    Allow From @IF(eth0)

    Allow @LOCAL
    Encryption Required
    Order allow,deny
    Allow localhost

    Allow @LOCAL
    AuthType Basic
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order allow,deny
    Allow localhost

    Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription
    Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job
    Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow

    Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job
    Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer
    Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job
    Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Add-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Class
    CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs CUPS-Set-Default>
    AuthType Basic
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow

    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow

    Order deny,allow

    ServerName 192.168.1.1
    BrowseAddress 192.168.1.255
    BrowseOrder Deny,Allow
    BrowseDeny All
    BrowseAllow @IF(eth0)

    And here is the one from my old system (2006 Community) on the same
    computer, which still works fine:

    LogLevel info
    TempDir /var/spool/cups/tmp
    Port 631
    BrowseAddress @LOCAL
    BrowseDeny All
    BrowseAllow 127.0.0.1
    BrowseAllow @LOCAL
    BrowseOrder deny,allow

    Order Deny,Allow
    Deny From All
    Allow From 127.0.0.1
    Allow From @LOCAL

    AuthType Basic
    AuthClass System
    Order Deny,Allow
    Deny From All
    Allow From 127.0.0.1

    I removed all the comment lines and hope I didn't remove anything else.

    I've looked at the log, and these are the only lines that seem to have
    anything to do with browsing:

    > Listening to :::631 (IPv6)
    > Listening to 0.0.0.0:631 (IPv4)
    > Listening to /var/run/cups/cups.sock (Domain)
    > Sending browsing info to 192.168.1.255:631 (IPv4)

    I don't see what the problem is. The network is on eth0. Everything else
    concerning the network and Internet access (eth1) is working just fine.
    Can anyone suggest where I should look for an error? TIA!
    --
    Gail Koontz*************Retired in my home state
    836 Mallard Rd.*********... and loving it!

  2. Re: 2007 Spring: CUPS Problem

    Gail Koontz wrote:
> [...]

    > Deny From All
    > Allow From 127.0.0.1
    > Allow From @LOCAL
    >

    > AuthType Basic
    > AuthClass System
    > Order Deny,Allow
    > Deny From All
    > Allow From 127.0.0.1
    >

    > I removed all the comment lines and hope I didn't remove anything else.
    >
    > I've looked at the log, and these are the only lines that seem to have
    > anything to do with browsing:
    >
    >> Listening to :::631 (IPv6)
    >> Listening to 0.0.0.0:631 (IPv4)
    >> Listening to /var/run/cups/cups.sock (Domain)
    >> Sending browsing info to 192.168.1.255:631 (IPv4)

    > I don't see what the problem is. The network is on eth0. Everything else
    > concerning the network and Internet access (eth1) is working just fine.
    > Can anyone suggest where I should look for an error? TIA!

    I have a printer on my Mandriva spring 2007 machine, and it shares
    happily to another computer on the network.

    Try printerdrake - there is a toggle option there to hide printer from
    other computers on the network/make printer available to other computers
    on the network. Printerdrake is also available from the Mandriva Linux
    Control Center | Hardware | printers .

    Alternatively, do you have security set higher than Standard? That
    could be blocking requests to CUPS.

    Good luck with it. BTW, I am also a Fla. native, but not ready for
    retirement just yet! Congrats on getting back there.

    73 de Jim

  3. Re: 2007 Spring: CUPS Problem

    JimR wrote:

    > Gail
    >
    > I have a printer on my Mandriva spring 2007 machine, and it shares
    > happily to another computer on the network.
    >
    > Try printerdrake - there is a toggle option there to hide printer from
    > other computers on the network/make printer available to other
    > computers
    > on the network. Printerdrake is also available from the Mandriva
    > Linux
    > Control Center | Hardware | printers .
    >
    > Alternatively, do you have security set higher than Standard? That
    > could be blocking requests to CUPS.

    My security is set to High because of being the network firewall, but my
    problem is the opposite of what you seem to be assuming. My printer is
    being properly shared, but I can't see my husband's printer with the
    new system. His security is only Standard, and my older system can see
    his printer. It doesn't really make sense that my security level would
    block my requests to use another printer on the network, but I'll look
    at the Shorewall settings.
    --
    Gail Koontz*************Retired in my home state
    836 Mallard Rd.*********... and loving it!
    Cocoa, FL 32926*********gailkoontz@cfl.rr.com

  4. Re: 2007 Spring: CUPS Problem

    I finally got access to my husband's printers by defining the route
    specifically in CUPS setup. Listning for them simply doesn't appear to
    be working. I first tried commenting out the Listen line
    for /var/run/cups/cups.sock, which in any case doesn't appear to exist,
    because that had solved someone else's problem, but it didn't solve
    mine.

    --
    Gail Koontz Retired in my home state
    836 Mallard Rd. ... and loving it!