Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output. - Mandriva ; This is a curly one and calls for the full "Smart Questions" treatment ( http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html ). First, the problem: I have a Gigabyte motherboard with Realtek onboard sound. Mandriva's HardDrake says to use module snd_hda_intel, which is loaded. Going through ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

  1. Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    This is a curly one and calls for the full "Smart Questions" treatment
    (http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html). First, the problem:

    I have a Gigabyte motherboard with Realtek onboard sound. Mandriva's
    HardDrake says to use module snd_hda_intel, which is loaded. Going through
    Alsa's checklists (and the tests in Harddrake) everything seems to be
    O.K., but I have no sound. I have checked the usual things with aumix/kmix
    etc. Kmix can't find a driver. I unplugged my USB system to avoid
    confusion, and there is nothing about the USB in /etc/modprobe.preload. At
    the same time, PCLinuxOS with the identical version of the ALSA package,
    has no problems finding the onboard sound.

    So, to Smart Questions:

    OS: Mandriva Spring:
    ALSA Package: 1.0.14
    Graphical mode (runlevel 5): KDE.

    System: Gigabyte S-series mobo with onboard sound.
    Chipset: nVIDIA GeForce 6100/nForce 400 chipset
    Audio: Onboard RealTek ALC833 Codec chip, "Supports High Definition Audio."
    (The audio is capable of 8 channel, etc., which I am not interested in.)
    (The rest of the specs seem not relevant to the question.)

    The tests from HardDrake:
    lspcidrake -v | fgrep AUDIO : No output.
    grep sound-slot /etc/modprobe.conf : alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
    /sbin/lsmod : see below. snd-hda-intel is there.
    sbin/chkconfig --list sound :
    sound 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    /sbin/chkconfig --list alsa
    alsa 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    aumix -q: I have KMix. Not muted. See problem description above.
    /sbin/fuser -v /dev/dsp :
    Cannot stat /dev/dsp: No such file or directory

    Other clues:

    lsmod | grep snd:

    snd_seq_dummy 3492 0
    snd_seq_oss 31168 0
    snd_seq_midi_event 6944 1 snd_seq_oss
    snd_seq 49232 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
    snd_seq_device 7052 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
    snd_pcm_oss 40192 0
    snd_mixer_oss 15904 1 snd_pcm_oss
    snd_hda_intel 15796 0
    snd_hda_codec 164448 1 snd_hda_intel
    snd_pcm 69892 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
    snd_timer 19396 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
    snd_page_alloc 8552 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
    snd 46276 9
    snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd _mixer_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm,snd _timer
    soundcore 7936 1 snd

    ls /dev/sound:
    sequencer (symlink to /dev/sequencer)
    sequencer2 (symlink to /dev/sequencer2)

    Alsamixer says:
    "alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device"

    I can't think of anything else.

    Doug.
    --
    Be wisely worldly, be not worldly wise.
    - Francis Quarles.


  2. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 01:07:40 -0400, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > The tests from HardDrake:
    > lspcidrake -v | fgrep AUDIO : No output.


    Try lspcidrake -v |grep intel

    > snd_pcm 69892 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
    > Alsamixer says:
    > "alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device"


    The oss sound system driver is being installed, so alsa functions
    wont work.

    Check in harddrake, to see if there is an alternate driver, for
    alsa use.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins


    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  3. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    Em Terça, 12 de Junho de 2007 06:07, Doug Laidlaw escreveu:

    >
    > lsmod | grep snd:
    >
    > snd_seq_dummy 3492 0
    > snd_seq_oss 31168 0
    > snd_seq_midi_event 6944 1 snd_seq_oss
    > snd_seq 49232 5
    > snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
    > snd_seq_device 7052 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
    > snd_pcm_oss 40192 0
    > snd_mixer_oss 15904 1 snd_pcm_oss
    > snd_hda_intel 15796 0
    > snd_hda_codec 164448 1 snd_hda_intel
    > snd_pcm 69892 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
    > snd_timer 19396 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
    > snd_page_alloc 8552 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
    > snd 46276 9
    >

    snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd _mixer_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm,snd _timer
    > soundcore 7936 1 snd

    Ok, this is from mandriva right?
    this seems ok...


    post the results of
    $ cat /proc/asound/cards


    and

    $ ls -l /dev/dsp*

    $ ls -l /dev/snd/


    also check if your user is a member of the "audio" group, it looks it is
    just a permission problem, if you're gonna set it now, then reboot and try.


    Waiting for your reply


  4. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    Em Terça, 12 de Junho de 2007 19:36, David W. Hodgins escreveu:

    > The oss sound system driver is being installed, so alsa functions
    > wont work.

    What ? where is the oss driver?

    > Check in harddrake, to see if there is an alternate driver, for
    > alsa use.

    He is allready using alsa modules.



  5. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 14:47:54 -0400, ArameFarpado wrote:

    > Em Terça, 12 de Junho de 2007 19:36, David W. Hodgins escreveu:
    >
    >> The oss sound system driver is being installed, so alsa functions
    >> wont work.

    > What ? where is the oss driver?


    In the line I quoted, ...
    > snd_pcm 69892 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec


    Looks like it's oss to me.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  6. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 15:35:46 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > In the line I quoted, ...
    >> snd_pcm 69892 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec

    >
    > Looks like it's oss to me.


    Sorry, mistake on my part. Checking my own system, confirms
    the above is normal, with alsa in use.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  7. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Sorry, mistake on my part. Checking my own system, confirms
    > the above is normal, with alsa in use.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >

    the module snd_pcm_oss is needed for compatible issues... it's the one that
    creates /dev/dsp*, and some programs still need to access the sound card
    at /dev/dsp.

    Regards
    ArameFarpado

  8. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 15:35:46 -0400, David W. Hodgins
    > wrote:
    >
    >> In the line I quoted, ...
    >>> snd_pcm 69892 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec

    >>
    >> Looks like it's oss to me.

    >
    > Sorry, mistake on my part. Checking my own system, confirms
    > the above is normal, with alsa in use.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >

    Alsa supports oss. Modules like that are used by my USB headset, which
    requires OSS. Harddrake says it is the correct driver, and offers no
    alternatives.

    lspcidrake -v |grep intel

    snd-hda-intel : nVidia Corporation|MCP61 High Definition Audio
    (vendor:10de device:03f0 subv:1458 subd:a002)

    As Arame requested:

    cat /proc/asound/cards
    --- no soundcards ---

    ls -l /dev/dsp*
    ls: /dev/dsp*: No such file or directory

    I seem to remember having looked at "no /dev/dsp" before. I am on GMT+10.
    By the time you read this I may have more info.

    I am a member of the "audio" group - the only one.

    *Later--
    The PcLinux modprobe.conf had a line I didn't have:
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel

    I added that to mine and rebooted, but no change.

    Thanks,

    Doug.
    --
    The American Constitution guarantees the pursuit of happiness; it does not
    guarantee happiness.
    - Unknown.


  9. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    Em Quarta, 13 de Junho de 2007 01:11, Doug Laidlaw escreveu:

    >
    > cat /proc/asound/cards
    > --- no soundcards ---

    Ouch ! This is not supose to...


    > ls -l /dev/dsp*
    > ls: /dev/dsp*: No such file or directory

    Course...


    > I am a member of the "audio" group - the only one.

    Fine.



    > *Later--
    > The PcLinux modprobe.conf had a line I didn't have:
    > alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
    > I added that to mine and rebooted, but no change.

    No, that alias alone won't do anything, that is just an alias, it means you
    can call module snd-hda-intel or sound-slot-0, it will be the same... it
    just gives another "name" to the module.


    Ok, moving on...
    I've find some other guy with the same problem in ubuntu then slackware, and
    he change alsa modules version... i'm coping is text:

    ""I managed to solve the problem using Slackware. The reason I chose that
    distro is because it doesn't do auto updates that would break all my hard
    work or dependency checking that could potentially do the same.
    What I had to do was compile my own alsa (driver, lib, utils, oss) version
    1.0.13. Remove all sound-based modules
    from /lib/modules/linux-2.17.13/sound/ and manually put in there the ones
    that are needed:

    snd
    soundcore
    snd_page_alloc
    snd_pcm
    snd_timer
    snd_hda_codec
    snd_hda_intel

    I then had to check that they'd get loaded in the correct order using
    depmod. You can find the correct order by attempting to modprobe each one
    and if it fails then check dmesg for what it needs.
    After loading all of the modules needed it works fine! (about time too)""

    So, looks like that module is buggy.


    you're going to try this sequence:

    # rmmod snd-hda-intel

    # modprobe snd-hda-intel
    (post if there is any errors during commands)

    # cat /proc/asound/cards
    if now the sound card appears here, then you can try add this
    to /etc/modprobe.conf

    remove snd-hda-intel /sbin/modprobe -r
    snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel
    (this two lines must only one in modprobe.conf)

    install snd-hda-intel /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install
    snd-hda-intel && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }
    (this two lines must only one in modprobe.conf)


    I really don't know if this is going to solve anything... maybe you need to
    change kernel version, or at least the alsa modules version, because it
    really looks like those modules are buggy.


    keep talking to us

    Regards





  10. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    ArameFarpado wrote:

    > Em Quarta, 13 de Junho de 2007 01:11, Doug Laidlaw escreveu:
    >
    >>
    >> cat /proc/asound/cards
    >> --- no soundcards ---

    > Ouch ! This is not supose to...
    >

    It is still saying that after what you recommended/
    >
    > Ok, moving on...
    > I've find some other guy with the same problem in ubuntu then slackware,
    > and he change alsa modules version... i'm coping is text:
    >
    > ""I managed to solve the problem using Slackware. The reason I chose that
    > distro is because it doesn't do auto updates that would break all my hard
    > work or dependency checking that could potentially do the same.
    > What I had to do was compile my own alsa (driver, lib, utils, oss) version
    > 1.0.13. Remove all sound-based modules
    > from /lib/modules/linux-2.17.13/sound/ and manually put in there the ones
    > that are needed:
    >
    > snd
    > soundcore
    > snd_page_alloc
    > snd_pcm
    > snd_timer
    > snd_hda_codec
    > snd_hda_intel
    >
    > I then had to check that they'd get loaded in the correct order using
    > depmod. You can find the correct order by attempting to modprobe each one
    > and if it fails then check dmesg for what it needs.
    > After loading all of the modules needed it works fine! (about time too)""
    >
    > So, looks like that module is buggy.
    >
    >
    > you're going to try this sequence:
    >
    > # rmmod snd-hda-intel
    >
    > # modprobe snd-hda-intel
    > (post if there is any errors during commands)
    >
    > # cat /proc/asound/cards
    > if now the sound card appears here, then you can try add this
    > to /etc/modprobe.conf
    >
    > remove snd-hda-intel /sbin/modprobe -r
    > snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel
    > (this two lines must only one in modprobe.conf)
    >
    > install snd-hda-intel /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install
    > snd-hda-intel && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }
    > (this two lines must only one in modprobe.conf)
    >
    >
    > I really don't know if this is going to solve anything... maybe you need
    > to change kernel version, or at least the alsa modules version, because it
    > really looks like those modules are buggy.
    >
    >
    > keep talking to us
    >
    > Regards


    PCLinux uses the identical version of ALSA, but kernel 2.6.18. On the other
    hand, the Slackware setup uses my kernel 2.6.17.13. Mandriva has now made
    2.6.17-14 available, but there are no NVidia or hsfmodem packages to suit,
    yet.

    Leave it with me for a few days. I will look for RPM updates, else compile
    ALSA myself. This is a brand new mobo, so recent that Mandriva 2007.0
    didn't support it.

    Doug.
    --
    Dogmatism is only puppyism come to full growth.


  11. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > ArameFarpado wrote:
    >
    >> Em Quarta, 13 de Junho de 2007 01:11, Doug Laidlaw escreveu:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> cat /proc/asound/cards
    >>> --- no soundcards ---

    >> Ouch ! This is not supose to...
    >>

    > It is still saying that after what you recommended/
    >>
    >> Ok, moving on...
    >> I've find some other guy with the same problem in ubuntu then slackware,
    >> and he change alsa modules version... i'm coping is text:
    >>
    >> ""I managed to solve the problem using Slackware. The reason I chose that
    >> distro is because it doesn't do auto updates that would break all my hard
    >> work or dependency checking that could potentially do the same.
    >> What I had to do was compile my own alsa (driver, lib, utils, oss)
    >> version 1.0.13. Remove all sound-based modules
    >> from /lib/modules/linux-2.17.13/sound/ and manually put in there the ones
    >> that are needed:
    >>
    >> snd
    >> soundcore
    >> snd_page_alloc
    >> snd_pcm
    >> snd_timer
    >> snd_hda_codec
    >> snd_hda_intel
    >>
    >> I then had to check that they'd get loaded in the correct order using
    >> depmod. You can find the correct order by attempting to modprobe each one
    >> and if it fails then check dmesg for what it needs.
    >> After loading all of the modules needed it works fine! (about time too)""
    >>
    >> So, looks like that module is buggy.
    >>
    >>
    >> you're going to try this sequence:
    >>
    >> # rmmod snd-hda-intel
    >>
    >> # modprobe snd-hda-intel
    >> (post if there is any errors during commands)
    >>
    >> # cat /proc/asound/cards
    >> if now the sound card appears here, then you can try add this
    >> to /etc/modprobe.conf
    >>
    >> remove snd-hda-intel /sbin/modprobe -r
    >> snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel
    >> (this two lines must only one in modprobe.conf)
    >>
    >> install snd-hda-intel /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install
    >> snd-hda-intel && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }
    >> (this two lines must only one in modprobe.conf)
    >>
    >>
    >> I really don't know if this is going to solve anything... maybe you need
    >> to change kernel version, or at least the alsa modules version, because
    >> it really looks like those modules are buggy.
    >>
    >>
    >> keep talking to us
    >>
    >> Regards

    >
    > PCLinux uses the identical version of ALSA, but kernel 2.6.18. On the
    > other
    > hand, the Slackware setup uses my kernel 2.6.17.13. Mandriva has now made
    > 2.6.17-14 available, but there are no NVidia or hsfmodem packages to suit,
    > yet.
    >
    > Leave it with me for a few days. I will look for RPM updates, else
    > compile
    > ALSA myself. This is a brand new mobo, so recent that Mandriva 2007.0
    > didn't support it.
    >
    > Doug.


    I had downloaded a more recent ALSA pack designed for my driver, version
    1.0.14. It made no difference. I tried to compile a kernel 2.6.20, but it
    failed with "no module for sata-nv." I must have missed something in the
    config.

    Doug.

    --
    If you want to make peace, you don't talk to your friends. You talk to your
    enemies.
    - Moshe Dayan.


  12. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    Em Quinta, 14 de Junho de 2007 12:48, Doug Laidlaw escreveu:

    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > I had downloaded a more recent ALSA pack designed for my driver, version
    > 1.0.14. It made no difference. I tried to compile a kernel 2.6.20, but
    > it
    > failed with "no module for sata-nv." I must have missed something in the
    > config.
    >
    > Doug.
    >

    Yeah, sometimes using the ".config" file from a version to another is not
    enough and we have to check configuration with "make menuconfig", and not
    setting everything right at first time is normal


    I've just remember something i've have seen and coudn't find any solution
    for it: do you have devices connected to usb ports during bootup? if so,
    desconnect then and boot, if you get sound then you're having a situation
    that i've seen before and never could solve it...


    Regards


  13. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    ArameFarpado wrote:

    > Em Quinta, 14 de Junho de 2007 12:48, Doug Laidlaw escreveu:
    >
    >> Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >> I had downloaded a more recent ALSA pack designed for my driver, version
    >> 1.0.14. It made no difference. I tried to compile a kernel 2.6.20, but
    >> it
    >> failed with "no module for sata-nv." I must have missed something in the
    >> config.
    >>
    >> Doug.
    >>

    > Yeah, sometimes using the ".config" file from a version to another is not
    > enough and we have to check configuration with "make menuconfig", and not
    > setting everything right at first time is normal
    >
    >
    > I've just remember something i've have seen and coudn't find any solution
    > for it: do you have devices connected to usb ports during bootup? if so,
    > desconnect then and boot, if you get sound then you're having a situation
    > that i've seen before and never could solve it...
    >
    >
    > Regards


    Could be... I have a USB Flash drive (an old one - my wife's laptop running
    XP has USB 1 and USB 2 ports, and if I plug it into USB 2, XP says it is
    defective {of course, windoze is never the problem, is it?} and I usually
    leave it connected.

    Testing with it removed and the USB phones removed made no difference however.
    I use the USB phones for dictation (using Xvoice: http://xvoice.sourceforge.net)
    and will stick with them.

    Doug.
    --
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is liking what you get.
    - Anonymous


  14. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    Em Sexta, 15 de Junho de 2007 11:23, Doug Laidlaw escreveu:

    >> Em Quinta, 14 de Junho de 2007 12:48, Doug Laidlaw escreveu:

    > Testing with it removed and the USB phones removed made no difference
    > however.


    Ok... it was a remote possibility any way.
    But now, it is getting odder, since your usb phones should also be present
    in

    cat /proc/asound/cards

    i know that the microphone implated in most webcams shows there...


    those phones aren't working also are they ?

    Regards



  15. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    ArameFarpado wrote:

    > Em Sexta, 15 de Junho de 2007 11:23, Doug Laidlaw escreveu:
    >
    >>> Em Quinta, 14 de Junho de 2007 12:48, Doug Laidlaw escreveu:

    >> Testing with it removed and the USB phones removed made no difference
    >> however.

    >
    > Ok... it was a remote possibility any way.
    > But now, it is getting odder, since your usb phones should also be present
    > in
    >
    > cat /proc/asound/cards
    >
    > i know that the microphone implated in most webcams shows there...
    >
    >
    > those phones aren't working also are they ?
    >
    > Regards


    At the moment I have the phones plugged into the USB port physically
    attached to the mobo, and the speakers plugged into the speaker port there.
    (There is a second audio output on the front, apparently for "surround sound.")
    I get:

    cat /proc/asound/cards
    0 [default ]: USB-Audio - C-Media USB Headphone Set
    C-Media USB Headphone Set at usb-0000:00:02.0-4,
    full speed

    One annoying thing about the phones is that the volume control in the panel
    controls the mic, not the output, but that is a different story. I mention
    it in case it is relevant.

    KMix shows the phones only. The previous mobo gave me a choice (for what it
    was worth: I had to reboot to load the right modules.)

    Doug.

    --
    It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
    - Albert Einstein


  16. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 12:43:32 -0400, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > cat /proc/asound/cards
    > 0 [default ]: USB-Audio - C-Media USB Headphone Set
    > C-Media USB Headphone Set at usb-0000:00:02.0-4,
    > full speed


    As the realtek isn't showing up there, have you checked the bios settings,
    to ensure the onboard sound card is enabled?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  17. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 12:43:32 -0400, Doug Laidlaw
    > wrote:
    >
    >> cat /proc/asound/cards
    >> 0 [default ]: USB-Audio - C-Media USB Headphone Set
    >> C-Media USB Headphone Set at usb-0000:00:02.0-4,
    >> full speed

    >
    > As the realtek isn't showing up there, have you checked the bios settings,
    > to ensure the onboard sound card is enabled?
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >

    Yes, it is enabled "Auto". There are only two settings, Auto or disabled.

    Another "brainwave" was just unproductive. In my previous post I mentioned
    that the order of loading modules was important on my old system. The USB
    headset needs the OSS modules, snd-mixer-oss, etc. With my previous
    system, I found that I had to put these in /etc/modprobe.preload, or the
    soundcard modules would be loaded first, and block them. Perhaps the
    opposite was happening here?

    No luck; putting snd-hda-intel in /etc/modprobe.preload made no difference.
    The headset was loaded anyway, and if it wasn't there, I had no cards at
    all. (I wouldn't say no modules; the modules are loaded.) The problem must
    be detection? But if so, why does Harddrake detect the card properly?

    Doug.
    --
    Who does the best his circumstance allows,
    Does well, acts nobly; angels could no more.
    - Edward Young.


  18. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    Em Domingo, 17 de Junho de 2007 01:09, Doug Laidlaw escreveu:

    > Another "brainwave" was just unproductive. In my previous post I
    > mentioned
    > that the order of loading modules was important on my old system. The USB
    > headset needs the OSS modules, snd-mixer-oss, etc. With my previous
    > system, I found that I had to put these in /etc/modprobe.preload, or the
    > soundcard modules would be loaded first, and block them. Perhaps the
    > opposite was happening here?

    the order of several sound devices is regulated by the "index" option:

    in /etc/modprobeconf or /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

    options snd-emu10k1 index=0
    options cx88-alsa index=1
    options snd-intel8x0 index=2
    options snd-usb-audio index=3

    (this is just examples, you must replace the module names by the ones you're
    using)

    another way is index=-2 like this
    options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2

    index=-2 doesn't set the decive order, it just prevents that the device
    takes first place.



    > No luck; putting snd-hda-intel in /etc/modprobe.preload made no
    > difference. The headset was loaded anyway, and if it wasn't there, I had
    > no cards at
    > all. (I wouldn't say no modules; the modules are loaded.) The problem
    > must
    > be detection? But if so, why does Harddrake detect the card properly?


    # lspci
    gives you a list of all devices in the pci bus
    # lsusb
    gives you the same but in usb bus...
    there is also # lspcmcia
    and others...


    now, you didn't told us if there was any errors after
    # modprobe snd-hda-intel

    you've said that the sound card has worked with other distros, do you know
    what kernel version wore they running?


    regards


  19. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 20:09:04 -0400, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > No luck; putting snd-hda-intel in /etc/modprobe.preload made no difference.


    What does "lspci -vv" (as root) show for the soundcard?

    Does running "modprobe -vr snd-hda-intel" followed by
    "modprobe -v snd-hda-intel" add anything to /ver/log/syslog?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  20. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    ArameFarpado wrote:

    > # lspci
    > gives you a list of all devices in the pci bus
    > # lsusb
    > gives you the same but in usb bus...
    > there is also # lspcmcia
    > and others...
    >
    >
    > now, you didn't told us if there was any errors after
    > # modprobe snd-hda-intel
    >
    > you've said that the sound card has worked with other distros, do you know
    > what kernel version wore they running?
    >

    # lspci
    gives (among others):

    00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a1)
    00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 LPC Bridge (rev a2)
    00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SMBus (rev a2)
    00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a2)
    00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller (rev a2)
    00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller (rev a2)
    00:04.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI bridge (rev a1)
    00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio (rev
    a2)

    # lsusb gives:
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 05dc:a400 Lexar Media, Inc. # Flash Drive
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0d8c:000c C-Media Electronics, Inc. Audio Adapter #
    Headset
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:c016 Logitech, Inc. M-UV69a Optical Wheel Mouse
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04b8:0802 Seiko Epson Corp. Stylus CX3200 # Printer
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

    # modprobe snd-hda-intel produces no output in terminal.

    I am running Kernel 2.6.17-13mdv (2.6.17-14mdv is available.)
    PCLinux uses kernel 2.6.18.8.tex5 (It is a project of Texsar.)
    Ubuntu Feisty Live CD runs the card: 2.6.20-15

    The kernel I tried to compile was 2.6.20. It failed on the sata-nv module,
    and I had to reinstall to get all references to it out of the system
    (simply deleting it from /usr/src and from lilo.conf etc wasn't enough.) I
    started with the .config from Mandriva 2.6.17. and went from there. I will
    try again. I run Rosegarden, and it needs 1000 Hz timer frequency, while
    the Mandriva kernel default is 250 Hz.
    (From my researches, kernel 2.6.18 was patched to fix an issue with sata-nv.
    Another solved his problems by upgrading to 2.6.20:
    http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-id.../msg04739.html )

    Doug.
    --
    Every great and commanding moment in the annals of the world is the triumph
    of some enthusiasm.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast