Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output. - Mandriva ; On Jun 18, 12:26 pm, Doug Laidlaw wrote: > ArameFarpado wrote: > > # lspci > > gives you a list of all devices in the pci bus > > # lsusb > > gives you the same but in ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

  1. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    On Jun 18, 12:26 pm, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > ArameFarpado wrote:
    > > # lspci
    > > gives you a list of all devices in the pci bus
    > > # lsusb
    > > gives you the same but in usb bus...
    > > there is also # lspcmcia
    > > and others...

    > > now, you didn't told us if there was any errors after
    > > # modprobe snd-hda-intel

    > > you've said that the sound card has worked with other distros, do you know
    > > what kernel version wore they running?

    > # lspci
    > gives (among others):
    >
    > 00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a1)
    > 00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 LPC Bridge (rev a2)
    > 00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SMBus (rev a2)
    > 00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a2)
    > 00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller (rev a2)
    > 00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller (rev a2)
    > 00:04.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI bridge (rev a1)
    > 00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio (rev
    > a2)
    >
    > # lsusb gives:
    > Bus 002 Device 002: ID 05dc:a400 Lexar Media, Inc. # Flash Drive
    > Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    > Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0d8c:000c C-Media Electronics, Inc. Audio Adapter #
    > Headset
    > Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:c016 Logitech, Inc. M-UV69a Optical Wheel Mouse
    > Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04b8:0802 Seiko Epson Corp. Stylus CX3200 # Printer
    > Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    >
    > # modprobe snd-hda-intel produces no output in terminal.
    >
    > I am running Kernel 2.6.17-13mdv (2.6.17-14mdv is available.)
    > PCLinux uses kernel 2.6.18.8.tex5 (It is a project of Texsar.)
    > Ubuntu Feisty Live CD runs the card: 2.6.20-15
    >
    > The kernel I tried to compile was 2.6.20. It failed on the sata-nv module,
    > and I had to reinstall to get all references to it out of the system
    > (simply deleting it from /usr/src and from lilo.conf etc wasn't enough.) I
    > started with the .config from Mandriva 2.6.17. and went from there. I will
    > try again. I run Rosegarden, and it needs 1000 Hz timer frequency, while
    > the Mandriva kernel default is 250 Hz.
    > (From my researches, kernel 2.6.18 was patched to fix an issue with sata-nv.
    > Another solved his problems by upgrading to 2.6.20:
    > http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-...../msg04739.html )
    >
    > Doug.
    > --
    > Every great and commanding moment in the annals of the world is the triumph
    > of some enthusiasm.
    > - Ralph Waldo Emerson

    I found how to enable sata-nv and got the kernel version up and
    running. It loads snd-hda-intel in priority unless I disable the
    driver in the BIOS. But I can't connect to the Internet with it. It
    has loaded the module 8139too, but I can't even ping the router.
    Worse, booting into the old kernel now hangs, so I have no Mandriva
    usable.

    With snd-hda-intel, I can hear the KDE theme on booting, then nothing
    works. There is a message from Mplayer that /dev/dsp is blocked.

    Doug.

  2. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    laidlaws@hotkey.net.au wrote:

    > I found how to enable sata-nv and got the kernel version up and
    > running. It loads snd-hda-intel in priority unless I disable the
    > driver in the BIOS. But I can't connect to the Internet with it. It
    > has loaded the module 8139too, but I can't even ping the router.
    > Worse, booting into the old kernel now hangs, so I have no Mandriva
    > usable.
    >
    > With snd-hda-intel, I can hear the KDE theme on booting, then nothing
    > works. There is a message from Mplayer that /dev/dsp is blocked.
    >
    > Doug.

    wait... you are using the old .config to the newer kernel without checking
    settings? if you are you can expect trouble...
    i believe that you network problem is the same i had:
    iptables modules have changed location in the kernel, and some of them have
    changed name. so re-check the area of network preferencies.

    your sound card is workin now, the fact that mplayer is saying it's blocked
    it is another situation: most cheap sound cards can't execute sounds from
    more than one program at a time, so in kde control center, section sound
    server, there is a option to release the sound card when not in use, set it
    to 1 second. also check if module snd-pcm-oss is loading along with
    snd-hda-intel, it is the snd-pcm-oss that creates the /dev/dsp.
    if the module is not loading, insert it's name in /etc/modprobe.preload
    right after the snd-hda-intel.

    you old kernel now hang maybe because the System.map file is diferent, or
    maybe you mess something the bootloader config.

    don't giveup now, you're getting there

    for the record: i've never set everything in my kernels at first try, there
    was allways some loose ends to correct, and i've have my share of kernel
    panics too
    my latest kernel config endup with a problem that is afecting just one
    program, and i didn't find out what it is now.

    Regards

  3. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    ArameFarpado wrote:

    > laidlaws@hotkey.net.au wrote:
    >

    >> I found how to enable sata-nv and got the kernel version up and
    >> running. It loads snd-hda-intel in priority unless I disable the
    >> driver in the BIOS. But I can't connect to the Internet with it. It
    >> has loaded the module 8139too, but I can't even ping the router.
    >> Worse, booting into the old kernel now hangs, so I have no Mandriva
    >> usable.
    >>
    >> With snd-hda-intel, I can hear the KDE theme on booting, then nothing
    >> works. There is a message from Mplayer that /dev/dsp is blocked.
    >>
    >> Doug.

    > wait... you are using the old .config to the newer kernel without checking
    > settings? if you are you can expect trouble...
    > i believe that you network problem is the same i had:
    > iptables modules have changed location in the kernel, and some of them
    > have changed name. so re-check the area of network preferencies.
    >
    > your sound card is workin now, the fact that mplayer is saying it's
    > blocked it is another situation: most cheap sound cards can't execute
    > sounds from more than one program at a time, so in kde control center,
    > section sound server, there is a option to release the sound card when not
    > in use, set it to 1 second. also check if module snd-pcm-oss is loading
    > along with snd-hda-intel, it is the snd-pcm-oss that creates the /dev/dsp.
    > if the module is not loading, insert it's name in /etc/modprobe.preload
    > right after the snd-hda-intel.
    >
    > you old kernel now hang maybe because the System.map file is diferent, or
    > maybe you mess something the bootloader config.
    >
    > don't giveup now, you're getting there
    >
    > for the record: i've never set everything in my kernels at first try,
    > there was allways some loose ends to correct, and i've have my share of
    > kernel panics too
    > my latest kernel config endup with a problem that is afecting just one
    > program, and i didn't find out what it is now.
    >
    > Regards

    Yes it is a new kernel, but the old .config is from 2.6.13. It isn't like
    using a .config from 2.4. Even one I saved before "make mrproper" had
    reset the ticks to 250 Hz. I am not qualified to decide on every choice,
    but I suppose that I can accept suggested defaults except where they need
    to be changed. There may be errors because the Mandriva kernel is patched
    and the new one is a "vanilla" kernel from kernel.org.

    I have done a complete reinstall, so at least all the garbage is gone. The
    latest NVidia driver installed before under the new kernel with no
    problems. I don't play games that need speed, but a puzzle game running
    under Wine needs some acceleration.

    I will do a backup of my current /boot directory before trying again. I was
    about to give up because I have just spent 2 weeks in bed with a virus,
    which hit me worse than expected (I am 64,) and I also get a dip of
    depression every month, which arrived a couple of days later. That should
    be gone within the next 2 days.

    PCLinux is by Texsar, and is basically a Debian distro with the Mandriva
    config he was used to. Even the "drake" suffix is still in wizards.

    Doug.
    --
    Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people
    who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.

  4. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

> [...]

    > to be changed. There may be errors because the Mandriva kernel is patched
    > and the new one is a "vanilla" kernel from kernel.org.
    >
    > I have done a complete reinstall, so at least all the garbage is gone.
    > The latest NVidia driver installed before under the new kernel with no
    > problems. I don't play games that need speed, but a puzzle game running
    > under Wine needs some acceleration.
    >
    > I will do a backup of my current /boot directory before trying again. I
    > was about to give up because I have just spent 2 weeks in bed with a
    > virus, which hit me worse than expected (I am 64,) and I also get a dip of
    > depression every month, which arrived a couple of days later. That should
    > be gone within the next 2 days.
    >
    > PCLinux is by Texsar, and is basically a Debian distro with the Mandriva
    > config he was used to. Even the "drake" suffix is still in wizards.

    I installed the 2.6.20 kernel starting from a blank config and got locked
    out again.

    I have deadlines to meet and can't afford to spend half my waking hours
    reinstalling a mission-critical system. I can get my tick rate by
    installing a multimedia kernel, but it is ridiculous that Mandriva provides
    all the "studio" tools on a system too slow to run the results. 250 Hz is
    suitable only for servers, and there are "enterprise" kernels for them.

    Doug.
    --
    Every great and commanding moment in the annals of the world is the triumph
    of some enthusiasm.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

  5. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > I installed the 2.6.20 kernel starting from a blank config and got locked
    > out again.
    >
    > I have deadlines to meet and can't afford to spend half my waking hours
    > reinstalling a mission-critical system. I can get my tick rate by
    > installing a multimedia kernel, but it is ridiculous that Mandriva
    > provides
    > all the "studio" tools on a system too slow to run the results. 250 Hz is
    > suitable only for servers, and there are "enterprise" kernels for them.
    >
    > Doug.

    One last post: With the 2.6.17.14 Multimedia kernel the following info was
    provided:-

    !! Attention !!

    Beginning from 2.6.17.14-3mdv the autoconf stuff has been reworked:
    - we dont rely on /etc/init.d/kheader and /boot/kernel.h anymore
    - dropped all of the old autoconf hacks
    - dropped kernel-multimedia-source-stripped(-latest) rpms
    - introduced kernel-multimedia-$flavour-devel(-latest) rpms to build
    3rdparty
    drivers against (survives test: make mrproper oldconfig prepare
    scripts)
    - kernel-multimedia-source rpm does not include any autoconf stuff
    anymore

    There is no dkms available for this kernel yet. Time to start looking for a
    user-friendly distro.

    Doug.
    --
    I am a part of all that I have met.
    - Lord Tennyson, "Ulysses."

  6. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    Em Quarta, 20 de Junho de 2007 08:49, Doug Laidlaw escreveu:

    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >
    > Yes it is a new kernel, but the old .config is from 2.6.13. It isn't like
    > using a .config from 2.4.

    I told you that, you can not trust old .config files to new kernels, must
    check settings

    > Even one I saved before "make mrproper" had

    usualy i don't use mrproper, never need to go that far

    > reset the ticks to 250 Hz. I am not qualified to decide on every choice,
    > but I suppose that I can accept suggested defaults except where they need
    > to be changed.

    Few people are, i don't understand all the options too...

    > There may be errors because the Mandriva kernel is patched
    > and the new one is a "vanilla" kernel from kernel.org.

    Humm, i've put "original" kernels in mandrake/mandriva and notice very
    little diference: can't use supermount any more, big deal, i allways
    desable it anyway... cd-rom drives don't open the tray (pressing the drive
    button) unless you unmount the volume first, but this is the normal way in
    linux...

    i would go for original kernels.

    > I have done a complete reinstall, so at least all the garbage is gone.
    > The latest NVidia driver installed before under the new kernel with no
    > problems. I don't play games that need speed, but a puzzle game running
    > under Wine needs some acceleration.
    >
    > I will do a backup of my current /boot directory before trying again. I
    > was about to give up because I have just spent 2 weeks in bed with a
    > virus, which hit me worse than expected (I am 64,) and I also get a dip of
    > depression every month, which arrived a couple of days later. That should
    > be gone within the next 2 days.

    sorry about that.

    > PCLinux is by Texsar, and is basically a Debian distro with the Mandriva
    > config he was used to. Even the "drake" suffix is still in wizards.
    >
    > Doug.

    > I installed the 2.6.20 kernel starting from a blank config and got locked
    > out again.

    you are running in circles now

    > I have deadlines to meet and can't afford to spend half my waking hours
    > reinstalling a mission-critical system. I can get my tick rate by
    > installing a multimedia kernel, but it is ridiculous that Mandriva
    > provides all the "studio" tools on a system too slow to run the results.
    > 250 Hz is suitable only for servers, and there are "enterprise" kernels
    > for them.
    >
    >> I installed the 2.6.20 kernel starting from a blank config and got locked
    >> out again.
    >>
    >> I have deadlines to meet and can't afford to spend half my waking hours
    >> reinstalling a mission-critical system. I can get my tick rate by
    >> installing a multimedia kernel, but it is ridiculous that Mandriva
    >> provides
    >> all the "studio" tools on a system too slow to run the results. 250 Hz
    >> is suitable only for servers, and there are "enterprise" kernels for
    >> them.
    >>
    >> Doug.

    > One last post: With the 2.6.17.14 Multimedia kernel the following info
    > was provided:-
    >
    > !! Attention !!
    >
    > Beginning from 2.6.17.14-3mdv the autoconf stuff has been reworked:
    > - we dont rely on /etc/init.d/kheader and /boot/kernel.h anymore
    > - dropped all of the old autoconf hacks
    > - dropped kernel-multimedia-source-stripped(-latest) rpms
    > - introduced kernel-multimedia-$flavour-devel(-latest) rpms to build
    > 3rdparty
    > drivers against (survives test: make mrproper oldconfig prepare
    > scripts)
    > - kernel-multimedia-source rpm does not include any autoconf stuff
    > anymore
    >
    > There is no dkms available for this kernel yet. Time to start looking for
    > a user-friendly distro.
    >
    > Doug.

    Sorry to hear that, you wore really getting there before you start to jump
    from one kernel to another... it just needed to set network preferences...

    you are going to try other distros, fine, but aware that the problem with
    the sound card may as well be there with other distros.

    Good Luck & Regards

  7. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    ArameFarpado wrote:

> [...]

    >> - dropped all of the old autoconf hacks
    >> - dropped kernel-multimedia-source-stripped(-latest) rpms
    >> - introduced kernel-multimedia-$flavour-devel(-latest) rpms to build
    >> 3rdparty
    >> drivers against (survives test: make mrproper oldconfig prepare
    >> scripts)
    >> - kernel-multimedia-source rpm does not include any autoconf stuff
    >> anymore
    >>
    >> There is no dkms available for this kernel yet. Time to start looking
    >> for a user-friendly distro.
    >>
    >> Doug.

    > Sorry to hear that, you wore really getting there before you start to jump
    > from one kernel to another... it just needed to set network preferences...
    >
    > you are going to try other distros, fine, but aware that the problem with
    > the sound card may as well be there with other distros.

    I have decided that the NVidia driver is the killer. As soon as I install
    it, I get the problem about booting back in. I have a G-Force 6200 card on
    a Gigabyte motherboard Even PCLinux can't configure it, and PCLinux has a
    newer version of the NVidia driver. If I accept the 250 ticks, I can
    install the PLF driver. I need that to do almost anything - even the
    screen in NoteEdit leaves cursor marks, which are deleted when the screen
    refreshes after I insert each note. Now that I have completed the task
    that was putting the pressure on, I am about to try either the Mandriva
    multimedia kernel or the generic kernel with the latest NV driver from the
    NVidia site. It has been complaining about being unable to find the glx
    module, or simply that the source packages don't match the kernel.

    As for the sound card, I have grown used to using the headphones while not
    wearing them I was beginning to think that the mobo was too new -
    certainly the Series 6 video card is not modern.

    As regards other distros, Ubuntu requires me to format my /var partition,
    which is where my www/ directory is. I think that Debian stores its Web
    pages elsewhere. PCLinux uses the Mandriva hierarchy - it is basically a
    Mandriva distro using Debian-style packages. Fedora always requires a
    blank HD - claims that the partition table is too complicated (poor thing!)
    but no other distro has that problem.

    Basically, I am too old to change distros. I am also starting to need
    dictation, and the only working app is XVoice
    (http://xvoice.sourceforge.net). Dragon NS under Wine is almost working
    but not quite. There is an XVoice RPM for Mandriva 2007.0++ and the old
    ViaVoice packages it needs are built for Red Hat (there were packages for
    Mandrake about version 8.) Others have got it working under Ubuntu and
    Suse, but it takes a lot of work. I was going to say that XVoice works
    partially, but it does work: the things that don't work (proper correction,
    etc.) come from having only the runtime of ViaVoice. XVoice will dictate
    into any Linux app, while ViaVoice and Dragon will dictate only into their
    dictation boxes.
    An original complete Viavoice for Linux, even if you can find it, won't work
    with modern libraries. One chap built up an old distro simply to run it.
    Sphinx hasn't yet been made to work.

    Doug.
    --
    A friend is one who knows all about you but likes you just the same.
    - W.G.P.

  8. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

> [...]

    > dictation, and the only working app is XVoice
    > (http://xvoice.sourceforge.net). Dragon NS under Wine is almost working
    > but not quite. There is an XVoice RPM for Mandriva 2007.0++ and the old
    > ViaVoice packages it needs are built for Red Hat (there were packages for
    > Mandrake about version 8.) Others have got it working under Ubuntu and
    > Suse, but it takes a lot of work. I was going to say that XVoice works
    > partially, but it does work: the things that don't work (proper
    > correction,
    > etc.) come from having only the runtime of ViaVoice. XVoice will dictate
    > into any Linux app, while ViaVoice and Dragon will dictate only into their
    > dictation boxes.
    > An original complete Viavoice for Linux, even if you can find it, won't
    > work
    > with modern libraries. One chap built up an old distro simply to run it.

    Well, so far, so good. I set up Mandriva Spring with the "nv" driver then
    compiled the 2.6.20.6 kernel, booted into it, and installed the NVidia
    driver I downloaded. I noticed that without any pre-existing .config, it
    was set to 1000 ticks.

    I now have NVidia graphics with the the USB sound. I can get back into my
    ordinary kernel to send this, by editing my xorg.conf to disable the NVidia
    driver. Now I can play around with getting the Internet and sound working.
    On the former, you said something about iptables. I tried reinstalling the
    default firewall. It detected my existing config, but didn't change
    anything regarding access. I earlier tried running the Ethernet config
    again. My NIC is a standard one from my previous system. I installed it
    when the onboard NIC wouldn't work properly.

    Doug.
    --
    Dogmatism is only puppyism come to full growth.

  9. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

> [...]

    > Well, so far, so good. I set up Mandriva Spring with the "nv" driver then
    > compiled the 2.6.20.6 kernel, booted into it, and installed the NVidia
    > driver I downloaded. I noticed that without any pre-existing .config, it
    > was set to 1000 ticks.
    >
    > I now have NVidia graphics with the the USB sound. I can get back into my
    > ordinary kernel to send this, by editing my xorg.conf to disable the
    > NVidia driver. Now I can play around with getting the Internet and sound
    > working.
    > On the former, you said something about iptables. I tried reinstalling
    > the
    > default firewall. It detected my existing config, but didn't change
    > anything regarding access. I earlier tried running the Ethernet config
    > again. My NIC is a standard one from my previous system. I installed it
    > when the onboard NIC wouldn't work properly.

    Getting places. It looks as though I shouldn't just accept defaults when
    compiling the kernel. I noticed that Azureus peer packets were still being
    received after I had exited Azureus and gone into the new kernel. I
    changed from Shorewall to Guarddog; that seemed to enable ping where it
    wasn't before, but only ping worked. In the Guarddog window I saw that a
    couple of modules couldn't be found and a lot of:

    iptables: Unknown error 4294967295

    Others have had the identical error number. One guy fixed it by

    >> I just realized
    >> # CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_STATE is not set
    >> should probably be set. I'm building a new kernel now...

    > Ok, that seems to do it.

    There is no such line in my .config, but
    # CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_STATISTIC is not set

    is the nearest. Here is the complete list:

    # CONFIG_NETFILTER_DEBUG is not set
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_NETLINK=m
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_NETLINK_QUEUE=m
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_NETLINK_LOG=m
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_XTABLES=m
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_CLASSIFY=m
    # CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_DSCP is not set
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_MARK=m
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_NFQUEUE=m
    # CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_NFLOG is not set
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_COMMENT=m
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_DCCP=m
    # CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_DSCP is not set
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_ESP=m
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_LENGTH=m
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_LIMIT=m
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MAC=m
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MARK=m
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_POLICY=m
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MULTIPORT=m
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_PHYSDEV=m
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_PKTTYPE=m
    # CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_QUOTA is not set
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_REALM=m
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_SCTP=m
    # CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_STATISTIC is not set
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_STRING=m
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_TCPMSS=m
    # CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_HASHLIMIT is not set

    I will check out those module names as well, before I do anything.

    Doug.
    --
    I grow old, always learning new things.
    -Solon, Greek lawgiver, 6th c. B.C.

  10. Re: Mandriva Spring: Realtek Sound: Module loaded but no output.

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

> [...]

    > # CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_NFLOG is not set
    > CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_COMMENT=m
    > CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_DCCP=m
    > # CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_DSCP is not set
    > CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_ESP=m
    > CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_LENGTH=m
    > CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_LIMIT=m
    > CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MAC=m
    > CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MARK=m
    > CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_POLICY=m
    > CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MULTIPORT=m
    > CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_PHYSDEV=m
    > CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_PKTTYPE=m
    > # CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_QUOTA is not set
    > CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_REALM=m
    > CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_SCTP=m
    > # CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_STATISTIC is not set
    > CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_STRING=m
    > CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_TCPMSS=m
    > # CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_HASHLIMIT is not set
    >
    > I will check out those module names as well, before I do anything.

    In the end, the easy way out was to go up to the 2.6.17.14 Multimedia
    kernel. The sound card runs under it. iptables is installed during setup,
    but still gives one error message (a common one, AFAICS, missing a module
    which isn't provided by any RPM.) I run NVidia's latest graphics driver.

    Doug.
    --
    It is all right letting yourself go as long as you can let yourself back.
    - Mick Jagger. (I should have listened to him.)

    Em Domingo, 8 de Julho de 2007 13:27, Doug Laidlaw escreveu:

    > In the end, the easy way out was to go up to the 2.6.17.14 Multimedia
    > kernel. The sound card runs under it. iptables is installed during
    > setup, but still gives one error message (a common one, AFAICS, missing a
    > module
    > which isn't provided by any RPM.) I run NVidia's latest graphics driver.
    >
    > Doug.

    Hi, i thought you have given up on mandriva, and didn't notice this posts...

    Ok, your problem now is the nvidia driver, don't look for it in mandriva
    repositores, go get it in nvidia site:

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

    check the "arquive" link, you might have to try diferent versions of the
    driver, the newer isn't allways the best choice, depending on your card and
    system.

    before installing it, you must install the kernel source package from
    mandriva control center...
    in a konsole type
    # uname -a
    to see what kernel version you are running and install the exact same
    version of kernel source.

    then download the nvidia installer to same folder.

    it is best to install this driver while not running X, so press
    CTRL+ALT+F1 and you will go to unix primary console, login as root
    (root & password) and then using "cd" command to change prompt to the folder
    you have donwloaded the driver. "ls" command will give you a list of files
    that are in the directorie, and "pwd" command will show you in what folder
    you are... when you get your prompt in the folder you have the drivers do

    # init 3
    this will shut down your X session, then
    # sh NVIDIA(type the reste of the installer name you want to install)
    follow the on-screen instructions
    after the nvidia driver is installed, just verify it with
    # X
    if ok, you should get a graphic screen whit you mouse in there, so kill it
    with CTRL+ALT+Backspace
    then if really ok, type
    # init 5
    to get back to your graphical greeter.

    you may have to edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf manualy by:
    # vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    press INSERT to make changes, then ESCAPE and type ":wq" to save changes and
    exit, you only need to change one thing:
    in xorg.conf there is a line that sets the driver X will be using,
    if in case the nvidia driver you have just installed don't start the X, then
    in the xorg.conf file, chance the driver "nvidia" to "nv", to be able to
    start X session and go get another nvidia version, and repeat the
    installing process until you get a nice version for you card and system.

    Tip: when you start X with the nvidia dirver from the nvidia site, you wiil
    get a fullscreen logo of nvidia when X is starting.
    also, you after you can run "nvidia-settings", and "glxgears" to verify your
    driver performance.

    Good luck

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2