installing *from* 2007.0 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on installing *from* 2007.0 - Mandriva ; Hi all, My main machine is running Mandriva 2007.0. Drakwizard is installed. Starting the Mandriva control center -> Sharing -> Set up server for network installations of Mandriva Linux Set the "Path to data" to /mnt/hd/spring/loop/i586 (a loop mounted DVD ...

  1. installing *from* 2007.0

    Hi all,

    My main machine is running Mandriva 2007.0. Drakwizard is
    installed.

    Starting the Mandriva control center
    -> Sharing
    -> Set up server for network installations of Mandriva Linux

    Set the "Path to data" to /mnt/hd/spring/loop/i586
    (a loop
    mounted DVD image of 2007.1) and "Destination directory" to
    /mnt/hd/spring/tree. (Why does it *insist* on making a copy
    of what I already have?)

    It should be fairly easy to install 2007.1 from the tree
    on my main machine onto my second machine over an Ethernet
    cable.

    I'm booting teh second machine with the 10 Meg image boot.iso

    Is this method know to work? Have I just stuffed things up?

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  2. Re: installing *from* 2007.0

    Peter D. wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > My main machine is running Mandriva 2007.0. Drakwizard is
    > installed.
    >
    > Starting the Mandriva control center
    > -> Sharing
    > -> Set up server for network installations of Mandriva Linux
    >
    > Set the "Path to data" to /mnt/hd/spring/loop/i586
    > (a loop
    > mounted DVD image of 2007.1) and "Destination directory" to
    > /mnt/hd/spring/tree. (Why does it *insist* on making a copy
    > of what I already have?)
    >
    > It should be fairly easy to install 2007.1 from the tree
    > on my main machine onto my second machine over an Ethernet
    > cable.
    >
    > I'm booting teh second machine with the 10 Meg image boot.iso
    >
    > Is this method know to work? Have I just stuffed things up?

    Can you do it from the target machine, telling it to install from the image
    you have on the server? You will need at least a boot floppy or CD on the
    target. See the "INSTALL.txt" file on the 2007.0 media, in the i586 directory.

    HTH,

    Doug.
    --
    There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy.
    - R.L. Stevenson.

  3. Re: installing *from* 2007.0

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 09:30:45 -0400, Peter D. wrote:

    > Starting the Mandriva control center
    > -> Sharing
    > -> Set up server for network installations of Mandriva Linux

    That seems to be intended primarily to copy the cd/dvd to disk.

    > It should be fairly easy to install 2007.1 from the tree
    > on my main machine onto my second machine over an Ethernet
    > cable.

    I'd just install an ftp server, like proftpd. You can allow anonymous
    login (see /usr/share/doc/proftpd-1.3.1/anonymous.conf )

    Mount the loopback device as /var/ftp/pub/whatever

    > I'm booting teh second machine with the 10 Meg image boot.iso
    > Is this method know to work? Have I just stuffed things up?

    I've never done a network install, but haven't heard of any
    problems with it either.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: installing *from* 2007.0

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Peter D. wrote:

    [snip]
    >> I'm booting teh second machine with the 10 Meg image boot.iso
    >>
    >> Is this method know to work? Have I just stuffed things up?
    >>

    > Can you do it from the target machine, telling it to install from the
    > image
    > you have on the server? You will need at least a boot floppy or CD on the
    > target. See the "INSTALL.txt" file on the 2007.0 media, in the i586
    > directory.

    I have a boot CD made from the 10 MB image provided inside the DVD
    image. It boots happily and offers a choice of; Please choose the
    installation method. NFS server, FTP server, HTTP server, KA server
    CDROM drive Hard disk, and load third party modules.

    There is no DVD drive on that machine so I gave up, and physically
    swapped the hard drive, copied the DVD.iso to it, then swapped it
    back and installed from that. (Using the 10 MB boot CD.)

    If anyone knows that the installation server works, please say so.

    Quote from the 2007.1 version of INSTALL.txt...
    You may also burn boot.iso on a CDROM and boot from it. It supports
    all installations methods, cdrom, network, and hard-disk.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  5. Re: installing *from* 2007.0

    Peter D. wrote:

    > I have a boot CD made from the 10 MB image provided inside the DVD
    > image. It boots happily and offers a choice of; Please choose the
    > installation method. NFS server, FTP server, HTTP server, KA server
    > CDROM drive Hard disk, and load third party modules.
    >
    > There is no DVD drive on that machine so I gave up, and physically
    > swapped the hard drive, copied the DVD.iso to it, then swapped it
    > back and installed from that. (Using the 10 MB boot CD.)
    >
    > If anyone knows that the installation server works, please say so.

    Share the directory with the .iso image on the server with NFS. Boot the
    target machine with your boot cd and select NFS as the method, fill in the
    address of your server and away you go. I have used this method here for as
    long as there have been dvd installation media.

    hth

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284

  6. Re: installing *from* 2007.0

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 09:30:45 -0400, Peter D.
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Starting the Mandriva control center
    >> -> Sharing
    >> -> Set up server for network installations of Mandriva Linux

    > That seems to be intended primarily to copy the cd/dvd to disk.

    Well, I guess that it is supposed to be an easy automatic way
    to do things, but it isn't as obvious as it needed to be for me.

    >> It should be fairly easy to install 2007.1 from the tree
    >> on my main machine onto my second machine over an Ethernet
    >> cable.

    > I'd just install an ftp server, like proftpd. You can allow anonymous
    > login (see /usr/share/doc/proftpd-1.3.1/anonymous.conf )

    OK did that, it works. Although not quite like I expected.

    It is proftpd-1.3.0 on the 2007.0 side. I couldn't log on
    as "anonymous" or "ftp", only as a real user. Strange, but
    I transferred all of the files that I wanted to, so I am
    prepared to ignore that problem for the time being.

    > Mount the loopback device as /var/ftp/pub/whatever
    >
    >> I'm booting teh second machine with the 10 Meg image boot.iso
    >> Is this method know to work? Have I just stuffed things up?

    > I've never done a network install, but haven't heard of any
    > problems with it either.

    Other people probably know what they are doing. ;-)
    I think that my problem was more to do with the network
    installation server, rather than network installation.
    Then again, maybe I got that wrong too.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  7. Re: installing *from* 2007.0

    sid wrote:

    > Peter D. wrote:
    >

    >> I have a boot CD made from the 10 MB image provided inside the DVD
    >> image. It boots happily and offers a choice of; Please choose the
    >> installation method. NFS server, FTP server, HTTP server, KA server
    >> CDROM drive Hard disk, and load third party modules.
    >>
    >> There is no DVD drive on that machine so I gave up, and physically
    >> swapped the hard drive, copied the DVD.iso to it, then swapped it
    >> back and installed from that. (Using the 10 MB boot CD.)
    >>
    >> If anyone knows that the installation server works, please say so.

    > Share the directory with the .iso image on the server with NFS. Boot the
    > target machine with your boot cd and select NFS as the method, fill in the
    > address of your server and away you go. I have used this method here for
    > as long as there have been dvd installation media.

    That sounds perfectly reasonable. It is actually one of the things
    I tried to do, but I've been faffing around with so many network
    GUI tools and configuration files that I don't even know what I've
    stuffed up.

    The immediate problem is solved, so I'll let it rest for the time
    being.

    Thanks anyway.

    --
    sig goes here...