New Problem with fetchmail - Mandriva

This is a discussion on New Problem with fetchmail - Mandriva ; I have Fetchmail configured, and it seems to run normally, but the ISP's server says that there is no mail when mail is waiting. At the moment, there are 4 messages on the server, but they are invisible to fetchmail. ...

  1. New Problem with fetchmail

    I have Fetchmail configured, and it seems to run normally, but the ISP's
    server says that there is no mail when mail is waiting. At the moment,
    there are 4 messages on the server, but they are invisible to fetchmail.
    The username is the one I use in Kmail. Copy of fetchmailconf's log
    follows:

    fetchmail: 6.3.6 querying pop.hotkey.net.au (protocol POP3) at Sat 09 Jun
    2007 16:59:40 EST: poll started
    Trying to connect to 210.50.7.8/110...connected.
    fetchmail: POP3< +OK Hello there.
    fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
    fetchmail: POP3< +OK Here's what I can do:
    fetchmail: POP3< STLS
    fetchmail: POP3< TOP
    fetchmail: POP3< USER
    fetchmail: POP3< LOGIN-DELAY 10
    fetchmail: POP3< PIPELINING
    fetchmail: POP3< UIDL
    fetchmail: POP3< IMPLEMENTATION Courier Mail Server
    fetchmail: POP3< .
    fetchmail: POP3> STLS
    fetchmail: POP3< +OK Begin SSL/TLS negotiation now.
    fetchmail: Issuer Organisation: Courier Mail Server
    fetchmail: Issuer CommonName: localhost
    fetchmail: Server CommonName: localhost
    fetchmail: Server CommonName mismatch: localhost != pop.hotkey.net.au
    fetchmail: pop.hotkey.net.au key fingerprint:
    A1:90:E5D:B4:28:AE:27:332:28:CD:16:13:7C:01
    fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: self signed certificate
    fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
    fetchmail: POP3< +OK Here's what I can do:
    fetchmail: POP3< TOP
    fetchmail: POP3< USER
    fetchmail: POP3< LOGIN-DELAY 10
    fetchmail: POP3< PIPELINING
    fetchmail: POP3< UIDL
    fetchmail: POP3< IMPLEMENTATION Courier Mail Server
    fetchmail: POP3< .
    fetchmail: pop.hotkey.net.au: upgrade to TLS succeeded.
    fetchmail: POP3> USER
    fetchmail: POP3< +OK Password required.
    fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
    fetchmail: POP3< +OK logged in.
    fetchmail: POP3> STAT
    fetchmail: POP3< +OK 0 0
    fetchmail: No mail for at pop.hotkey.net.au
    fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
    fetchmail: POP3< +OK Bye-bye.

    Doug.

    --
    Husbands are like the fire on the hearth - likely to go out if left
    unattended.

  2. Re: New Problem with fetchmail

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > I have Fetchmail configured, and it seems to run normally, but the ISP's
    > server says that there is no mail when mail is waiting. At the moment,
    > there are 4 messages on the server,

    How do you know?

    > but they are invisible to fetchmail.

    Does kmail see those 4 messages?
    Can you see them via a 'telnet pop.hotkey.net.au pop3' session?
    What if you let fetchmail use a non-TLS session?

    de Kameel

    > The username is the one I use in Kmail. Copy of fetchmailconf's log
    > follows:
    >
    > fetchmail: 6.3.6 querying pop.hotkey.net.au (protocol POP3) at Sat 09 Jun
    > 2007 16:59:40 EST: poll started
    > Trying to connect to 210.50.7.8/110...connected.
    > fetchmail: POP3< +OK Hello there.
    > fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
    > fetchmail: POP3< +OK Here's what I can do:
    > fetchmail: POP3< STLS
    > fetchmail: POP3< TOP
    > fetchmail: POP3< USER
    > fetchmail: POP3< LOGIN-DELAY 10
    > fetchmail: POP3< PIPELINING
    > fetchmail: POP3< UIDL
    > fetchmail: POP3< IMPLEMENTATION Courier Mail Server
    > fetchmail: POP3< .
    > fetchmail: POP3> STLS
    > fetchmail: POP3< +OK Begin SSL/TLS negotiation now.
    > fetchmail: Issuer Organisation: Courier Mail Server
    > fetchmail: Issuer CommonName: localhost
    > fetchmail: Server CommonName: localhost
    > fetchmail: Server CommonName mismatch: localhost != pop.hotkey.net.au
    > fetchmail: pop.hotkey.net.au key fingerprint:
    > A1:90:E5D:B4:28:AE:27:332:28:CD:16:13:7C:01
    > fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: self signed certificate
    > fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
    > fetchmail: POP3< +OK Here's what I can do:
    > fetchmail: POP3< TOP
    > fetchmail: POP3< USER
    > fetchmail: POP3< LOGIN-DELAY 10
    > fetchmail: POP3< PIPELINING
    > fetchmail: POP3< UIDL
    > fetchmail: POP3< IMPLEMENTATION Courier Mail Server
    > fetchmail: POP3< .
    > fetchmail: pop.hotkey.net.au: upgrade to TLS succeeded.
    > fetchmail: POP3> USER
    > fetchmail: POP3< +OK Password required.
    > fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
    > fetchmail: POP3< +OK logged in.
    > fetchmail: POP3> STAT
    > fetchmail: POP3< +OK 0 0
    > fetchmail: No mail for at pop.hotkey.net.au
    > fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
    > fetchmail: POP3< +OK Bye-bye.
    >
    > Doug.

  3. Re: New Problem with fetchmail

    KShowmail said that there were 4 messages waiting, but just after I posted,
    it said they were gone. I will watch a little longer. Not much happens
    over the weekend, but I am in some busy mailing lists. What is
    TLS/non-TLS?

    Doug.

    --
    The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being said.
    - Peter E. Drucker.

  4. Re: New Problem with fetchmail

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > KShowmail said that there were 4 messages waiting, but just after I
    > posted,
    > it said they were gone. I will watch a little longer. Not much happens
    > over the weekend, but I am in some busy mailing lists. What is
    > TLS/non-TLS?
    >
    > Doug.
    >
    > De Kameel wrote:
    >
    >> Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>> I have Fetchmail configured, and it seems to run normally, but the ISP's
    >>> server says that there is no mail when mail is waiting. At the moment,
    >>> there are 4 messages on the server,

    >> How do you know?
    >>
    >>> but they are invisible to fetchmail.

    >> Does kmail see those 4 messages?
    >> Can you see them via a 'telnet pop.hotkey.net.au pop3' session?
    >> What if you let fetchmail use a non-TLS session?
    >>
    >> de Kameel
    >>

    >>> The username is the one I use in Kmail. Copy of fetchmailconf's log
    >>> follows:

    >>> Doug.

    It looks as though I do have a problem. Postfix seems to be doing the right
    things, but the mail isn't reaching me. A message in the Gnucash-user list
    just came in. Here is the log from /var/log/mail/info:

    Jun 11 11:32:05 dougshost postfix/postfix-script: starting the Postfix mail
    system
    Jun 11 11:32:06 dougshost postfix/master[5197]: daemon started -- version
    2.3.8, configuration /etc/postfix
    Jun 11 12:13:05 dougshost postfix/smtpd[8822]: connect from
    localhost[127.0.0.1]
    Jun 11 12:13:05 dougshost postfix/smtpd[8822]: D5C20423044:
    client=localhost[127.0.0.1]
    Jun 11 12:13:05 dougshost postfix/cleanup[8824]: D5C20423044:
    message-id=
    Jun 11 12:13:05 dougshost postfix/qmgr[5236]: D5C20423044:
    from=, size=5746, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
    Jun 11 12:13:06 dougshost postfix/smtpd[8822]: disconnect from
    localhost[127.0.0.1]
    Jun 11 12:13:08 dougshost postfix/smtp[8825]: D5C20423044:
    to=, relay=mail.hotkey.net.au[202.138.0.122]:25,
    delay=3.1, delays=0.08/0.01/1.6/1.4, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 Ok: queued
    as 3865B8BC310)
    Jun 11 12:13:08 dougshost postfix/qmgr[5236]: D5C20423044: removed

    I can see where the message was removed. Isn't the line before relaying it
    to me? It didn't make it. /var/spool/mail/doug is owned by user doug and
    group mail, and has permissions 660.

    Doug.
    --
    How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to
    improve the world.

  5. Re: New Problem with fetchmail

    On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 14:27:59 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > to=, relay=mail.hotkey.net.au[202.138.0.122]:25,
    > delay=3.1, delays=0.08/0.01/1.6/1.4, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 Ok: queued
    > as 3865B8BC310)
    >
    > Isn't the line relaying it to me?

    It means, mail.hotkey.net.au accepted the mail. What it did with it
    appears to be your question.

    > It didn't make it. /var/spool/mail/doug is owned by user doug and
    > group mail, and has permissions 660.

    So, what I hear you telling me is

    $ host mail.hotkey.net.au
    mail.hotkey.net.au has address 202.138.0.122
    mail.hotkey.net.au has address 202.138.0.111
    mail.hotkey.net.au mail is handled by 10 mail.hotkey.net.au.

    and here I thought your node ip was 203.134.67.67

    I think you need to draw yourself a picture with the MTAs/ip and which
    process is sending what where.

  6. Re: New Problem with fetchmail

    On 11 Jun 2007 05:15:59 GMT, Bit Twister wrote:

    > I think you need to draw yourself a picture with the MTAs/ip and which
    > process is sending what where.

    Example:

    from bittwister@wb.home.invalid
    to me@hotmail.com

    postfix
    wb.home.invalid
    192.168.2.30
    postfix

    postfix
    fw.home.invalid
    192.168.2.1

    | from bittwister@wb.home.invalid
    | to me@hotmail.com
    postfix munge header and send to my ISP

    | from me@yahoo.com
    | to me@hotmail.com
    smtp-server.tx.rr.com
    68.168.78.100
    | from me@yahoo.com
    | to me@hotmail.com
    mail.hotmail.com
    65.54.245.40
    ^
    | from me@yahoo.com
    | to me@hotmail.com
    ..-------------------------.
    | gethotmail |
    | wb.home.invalid |
    | 192.168.2.30 |
    | | |
    | | from me@yahoo.com |
    | | to bittwister |
    | V |
    | postfix |
    `-------------------------'

    /var/spool/mail/bittwister

  7. Re: New Problem with fetchmail

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 14:27:59 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >
    >> to=, relay=mail.hotkey.net.au[202.138.0.122]:25,
    >> delay=3.1, delays=0.08/0.01/1.6/1.4, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 Ok:
    >> queued as 3865B8BC310)
    >>
    >> Isn't the line relaying it to me?

    > It means, mail.hotkey.net.au accepted the mail. What it did with it
    > appears to be your question.

    Thanks for all that. I just realized that I shouldn't have put my email
    address in for the spambots to find. Then I realized that the email
    address is incorrect. "doug" is my Linux user name, but not my username at
    the ISP. Need to fix that one first. And I have a standard .fetchmailrc
    with the usual declaration (not repeated here for the same reason).

    Doug.
    --
    Husbands are like the fire on the hearth - likely to go out if left
    unattended.
    - W.G.P.

  8. Re: New Problem with fetchmail

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 14:27:59 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>
    >>> to=, relay=mail.hotkey.net.au[202.138.0.122]:25,
    >>> delay=3.1, delays=0.08/0.01/1.6/1.4, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 Ok:
    >>> queued as 3865B8BC310)
    >>>
    >>> Isn't the line relaying it to me?

    >> It means, mail.hotkey.net.au accepted the mail. What it did with it
    >> appears to be your question.
    >>

    > Thanks for all that. I just realized that I shouldn't have put my email
    > address in for the spambots to find. Then I realized that the email
    > address is incorrect. "doug" is my Linux user name, but not my username at
    > the ISP. Need to fix that one first. And I have a standard .fetchmailrc
    > with the usual declaration (not repeated here for the same reason).
    >
    > Doug.

    I have given up on this - at least for a while. This is the second time I
    have tried to get it working without success, and I don't really _need_ a
    mail server.

    Postfix now wants to send all mail back to where it came from, i.e. it tries
    to connect to the domain in the FROM: header I deleted all my config and
    installed the default main.cf, and it still does it. People tell me not to
    think "old" at 64, but after 2 weeks with a virus, I have had enough.

    In the past, the config that worked best for me was the one by R. P. Goldman
    (http://rpgoldman.real-time.com/linux/postfix-linux.html,) although it was
    old, but with one important reservation. He was worried about mail leaking
    out with a header saying that it was from my machine (which could be
    localhost) and so unanswerable. His fix was to set myorigin to be his ISP.
    Unfortunately, as is clearly stated in the documentation, this means that
    mail to root goes to the ISP, and they weren't happy about getting it. He
    claims that although its header says root@ISP, it didn't actually go there.
    I used the recommended myorigin. The problem of the header is dealt with
    in the documentation.

    Doug.
    --
    Love is not love
    Which alters when it alteration finds

  9. Re: New Problem with fetchmail

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 07:10:32 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > I have given up on this - at least for a while. This is the second time I
    > have tried to get it working without success, and I don't really _need_ a
    > mail server.

    It is nice to receive email when cron jobs upckuck and root is
    notified not to mention, results of nightly audits.

    > Postfix now wants to send all mail back to where it came from, i.e. it tries
    > to connect to the domain in the FROM: header

    Hmmm, sounds like you are indicating, postfix cannot deliver the mail
    and is now trying to tell the originator it could not deliver the mail.

    I deleted all my config and
    > installed the default main.cf, and it still does it. People tell me not to
    > think "old" at 64, but after 2 weeks with a virus, I have had enough.

    I can relate.

    > In the past, the config that worked best for me was the one by R. P. Goldman
    > (http://rpgoldman.real-time.com/linux/postfix-linux.html,) although it was
    > old, but with one important reservation. He was worried about mail leaking
    > out with a header saying that it was from my machine (which could be
    > localhost) and so unanswerable.

    Now adays, lots of admins configure their MTAs to not accept email
    from an unregisterd domain and some if the originator does not exists.

    > His fix was to set myorigin to be his ISP.

    I had to do that to get email from my LAN to be accepted at work.

    > Unfortunately, as is clearly stated in the documentation, this means that
    > mail to root goes to the ISP, and they weren't happy about getting
    > it.

    Hehehe, Comcast's admin changed password on their root account because
    of the email from my system. :-)
    Guessing they finaly put an email filter to block email to root from outside
    their cluster.

    Hindsight tells me to create a canonical_sender from canonical and add root
    to route to my junk email account for the occasion root email escapes my system.

    # canonical_sender was created by
    # cp canonical canonical_sender
    # added a line like
    # root my_addy@yahoo.com
    # postmap canonical_sender <----- builds canonical_sender.db file
    sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical_sender

    You can prevent root munging via main.cf by appending

    masquerade_exceptions = root

    I munge all my from/From headers to go to my junk email address at
    yahoo.com using /etc/postfix/generic

    Snippet from my main.cf

    # Sending: swap out email addresses that appear inside messages (From
    # added a line like
    # bittwister@wb.home.invalid my_addy@yahoo.com
    # postmap generic <----- builds generic.db file
    smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic

    #****** end main.cf ****************

  10. Re: New Problem with fetchmail

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 07:10:32 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >
    >> I have given up on this - at least for a while. This is the second time
    >> I have tried to get it working without success, and I don't really _need_
    >> a mail server.

    > It is nice to receive email when cron jobs upckuck and root is
    > notified not to mention, results of nightly audits.
    >

    >> Postfix now wants to send all mail back to where it came from, i.e. it
    >> tries to connect to the domain in the FROM: header

    > Hmmm, sounds like you are indicating, postfix cannot deliver the mail
    > and is now trying to tell the originator it could not deliver the mail.
    >
    > I deleted all my config and
    >> installed the default main.cf, and it still does it. People tell me not
    >> to think "old" at 64, but after 2 weeks with a virus, I have had enough.

    > I can relate.
    >
    >> In the past, the config that worked best for me was the one by R. P.
    >> Goldman (http://rpgoldman.real-time.com/linux/postfix-linux.html,)
    >> although it was
    >> old, but with one important reservation. He was worried about mail
    >> leaking out with a header saying that it was from my machine (which could
    >> be localhost) and so unanswerable.

    > Now adays, lots of admins configure their MTAs to not accept email
    > from an unregisterd domain and some if the originator does not exists.
    >
    >> His fix was to set myorigin to be his ISP.

    > I had to do that to get email from my LAN to be accepted at work.
    >
    >> Unfortunately, as is clearly stated in the documentation, this means that
    >> mail to root goes to the ISP, and they weren't happy about getting
    >> it.

    > Hehehe, Comcast's admin changed password on their root account because
    > of the email from my system. :-)
    > Guessing they finaly put an email filter to block email to root from
    > outside their cluster.
    >
    > Hindsight tells me to create a canonical_sender from canonical and add
    > root to route to my junk email account for the occasion root email escapes
    > my system.
    >
    > # canonical_sender was created by
    > # cp canonical canonical_sender
    > # added a line like
    > # root my_addy@yahoo.com
    > # postmap canonical_sender <----- builds canonical_sender.db file
    > sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical_sender
    >

    > You can prevent root munging via main.cf by appending
    >
    > masquerade_exceptions = root
    >
    > I munge all my from/From headers to go to my junk email address at
    > yahoo.com using /etc/postfix/generic
    >
    > Snippet from my main.cf
    >
    > # Sending: swap out email addresses that appear inside messages (From
    > # added a line like
    > # bittwister@wb.home.invalid my_addy@yahoo.com
    > # postmap generic <----- builds generic.db file
    > smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
    >
    > #****** end main.cf ****************

    I may go back and try all that. Howtoforge has just had a good tutorial for
    installing getmail on Debian Etch, and claims that it is better (probably a
    matter of opinion.) Goldman said that he thought that Postfix etc was a
    bad choice anyway, but if we want Mandriva, we have to live with it. In
    any event, getmail is available in the Mandriva repositories, so I may try
    it. It doesn't have the added complication of two programs (although
    fetchmail and Postfix don't really interact with each other.) getmail's
    config file isn't any more intuitive than fetchmail/Postfix, perhaps less
    so.

    Doug.
    --
    We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.
    - Winston Churchill.

+ Reply to Thread