My PC (Mandriva on board) hangs up at startup... What is corrupted? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on My PC (Mandriva on board) hangs up at startup... What is corrupted? - Mandriva ; Hello! Few days ago my home PC started to hang up at startup process :-( When I start it in "failsafe" it display one of the three messages listed below: http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/7...kinghltyz9.jpg http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1...syncingkd5.jpg http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/7880/vpidecp1.jpg (I've made pictures of the screen with ...

  1. My PC (Mandriva on board) hangs up at startup... What is corrupted?

    Hello!

    Few days ago my home PC started to hang up at startup process :-( When I
    start it in "failsafe" it display one of the three messages listed below:

    http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/7...kinghltyz9.jpg

    http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1...syncingkd5.jpg

    http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/7880/vpidecp1.jpg

    (I've made pictures of the screen with digital camera).

    I seems to be obvious that the problem is in hardware, not software. But
    what part of my PC is corrupted? I've no idea...

    At first days when the problem started to occur I noticed that it if I
    wait several minutes with my PC hanged and then I restart it - it would
    start up normally. The only thing that could change in those several
    minutes was computer temperature (increasing).

    But now waiting in freeze-state doesn't help - PC doesn't start even
    after an hour of waiting.

    Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

    Best regards.
    --
    yacoll
    $> cd pub *www.nfilter.org* - troll filtering tool

  2. Re: My PC (Mandriva on board) hangs up at startup... What is corrupted?

    On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 09:51:27 +0200, yacoll wrote:

    > Hello!
    >
    > Few days ago my home PC started to hang up at startup process :-( When I
    > start it in "failsafe" it display one of the three messages listed below:
    >
    > http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/7...kinghltyz9.jpg
    >
    > http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1...syncingkd5.jpg
    >
    > http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/7880/vpidecp1.jpg
    >
    > (I've made pictures of the screen with digital camera).
    >
    > I seems to be obvious that the problem is in hardware, not software. But
    > what part of my PC is corrupted? I've no idea...

    Try booting with a live CD like Knoppix. Run diagnostics on the drive.
    Might also try boot memtest floppy/cd and see what happens with all this.

  3. Re: My PC (Mandriva on board) hangs up at startup... What is corrupted?

    On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 03:51:27 -0400, yacoll wrote:

    > At first days when the problem started to occur I noticed that it if I
    > wait several minutes with my PC hanged and then I restart it - it would
    > start up normally. The only thing that could change in those several
    > minutes was computer temperature (increasing).
    >
    > But now waiting in freeze-state doesn't help - PC doesn't start even
    > after an hour of waiting.

    Sounds like a problem with the power supply. Try disconneting the power to
    all "non-essential" hardware, and see if that helps.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: My PC (Mandriva on board) hangs up at startup... What is corrupted?

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 03:51:27 -0400, yacoll
    > wrote:
    >
    >> At first days when the problem started to occur I noticed that it if I
    >> wait several minutes with my PC hanged and then I restart it - it would
    >> start up normally. The only thing that could change in those several
    >> minutes was computer temperature (increasing).
    >>
    >> But now waiting in freeze-state doesn't help - PC doesn't start even
    >> after an hour of waiting.

    > Sounds like a problem with the power supply. Try disconneting the power
    > to all "non-essential" hardware, and see if that helps.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    I recently had similar problems which seem to have turned out to be the
    power supply. Start backing up your data immediately. If your power supply
    eventualy explodes like mine did it might take out a drive. Like it did
    mine.

  5. Re: My PC (Mandriva on board) hangs up at startup... What is corrupted?

    noway@nothanks.yo napisał(a):
    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >>
    >>Sounds like a problem with the power supply. Try disconneting the power
    >>to all "non-essential" hardware, and see if that helps.

    > I recently had similar problems which seem to have turned out to be the
    > power supply. Start backing up your data immediately. If your power supply
    > eventualy explodes like mine did it might take out a drive. Like it did
    > mine.

    What a mess, is sounds seriously... :-( I'll try to get proper-working
    power supply and replace with this one. Maybe it'll help...

    BTW: Is it really possible for power supply to explode...?

    Thanks for your responses!

    --
    yacoll
    $> cd pub *www.nfilter.org* - troll filtering tool
    $> more beer ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  6. Re: My PC (Mandriva on board) hangs up at startup... What is corrupted?

    On 2007-06-05, yacoll wrote:
    > noway@nothanks.yo napisa?(a):
    >> David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Sounds like a problem with the power supply. Try disconneting the power
    >>>to all "non-essential" hardware, and see if that helps.

    >> I recently had similar problems which seem to have turned out to be the
    >> power supply. Start backing up your data immediately. If your power supply
    >> eventualy explodes like mine did it might take out a drive. Like it did
    >> mine.

    > What a mess, is sounds seriously... :-( I'll try to get proper-working
    > power supply and replace with this one. Maybe it'll help...
    >
    > BTW: Is it really possible for power supply to explode...?
    >
    > Thanks for your responses!

    There are probably some failure modes that release
    substantial amounts of smoke.

    Electrolytic capacitors can explode, and there are
    electrolytic capacitors inside most any power supply. I
    seem to recall many years ago hearing a popping noise in
    high school electronics class and looking over to see a
    round red mark on the forehead of a fellow student. That
    was the day he learned the meaning of the '+' or '-' marks
    on the sides of the electrolytic capacitors. (He wasn't
    seriously injured, just had a bit of a welt for an hour or
    three.)

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  7. Re: My PC (Mandriva on board) hangs up at startup... What is corrupted?

    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > On 2007-06-05, yacoll wrote:
    >> noway@nothanks.yo napisa?(a):

    >>> I recently had similar problems which seem to have turned out to be the
    >>> power supply. Start backing up your data immediately. If your power
    >>> supply eventualy explodes like mine did it might take out a drive. Like
    >>> it did mine.

    >> What a mess, is sounds seriously... :-( I'll try to get proper-working
    >> power supply and replace with this one. Maybe it'll help...
    >>
    >> BTW: Is it really possible for power supply to explode...?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your responses!

    > There are probably some failure modes that release
    > substantial amounts of smoke.
    >
    > Electrolytic capacitors can explode, and there are
    > electrolytic capacitors inside most any power supply. I
    > seem to recall many years ago hearing a popping noise in
    > high school electronics class and looking over to see a
    > round red mark on the forehead of a fellow student. That
    > was the day he learned the meaning of the '+' or '-' marks
    > on the sides of the electrolytic capacitors. (He wasn't
    > seriously injured, just had a bit of a welt for an hour or
    > three.)

    My power supply made a very loud band, smoke and fumes came out and there
    were many component fragments inside.Yes, they can blow up.

  8. Re: My PC (Mandriva on board) hangs up at startup... What is corrupted?

    noway@nothanks.yo wrote:

    > My power supply made a very loud bang, smoke and fumes came out and there
    > were many component fragments inside.Yes, they can blow up.

    I had much the same thing on a server yesterday. On power-up, there was a
    loud buzz, followed by a loud bang and a cloud of smoke. Luckily, a
    replacement power supply got the machine working OK.

    I took the damaged PSU apart to see what had failed, and found lots of
    shredded bits of electrolytic capacitor inside. The mains side smoothing
    capacitor (rated at 650 Volts) had blown itself apart. The chopper
    transistor had also exploded, taking with it a number of resistors - the
    main source of the smoke! Obviously it got filed in the round filing
    cabinet as /Failed/ /Under/ /Continuous/ /Testing./

    C.

  9. Re: My PC (Mandriva on board) hangs up at startup... What is corrupted?

    Christopher Hunter napisał(a):
    > noway@nothanks.yo wrote:
    >

    >>My power supply made a very loud bang, smoke and fumes came out and there
    >>were many component fragments inside.Yes, they can blow up.

    > I had much the same thing on a server yesterday. On power-up, there was a
    > loud buzz, followed by a loud bang and a cloud of smoke. Luckily, a
    > replacement power supply got the machine working OK.

    Ok, Guys, I'll make a closer look to that part...

    I'm going to report results to the group.

    Best regards!

    --
    yacoll
    $> cd pub *www.nfilter.org* - troll filtering tool
    $> more beer ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  10. Re: My PC (Mandriva on board) hangs up at startup... What is corrupted?

    yacoll wrote:
    > Christopher Hunter napisał(a):
    >> noway@nothanks.yo wrote:
    >>

    >>> My power supply made a very loud bang, smoke and fumes came out and
    >>> there
    >>> were many component fragments inside.Yes, they can blow up.

    >> I had much the same thing on a server yesterday. On power-up, there
    >> was a
    >> loud buzz, followed by a loud bang and a cloud of smoke. Luckily, a
    >> replacement power supply got the machine working OK.

    > Ok, Guys, I'll make a closer look to that part...
    >
    > I'm going to report results to the group.
    >
    > Best regards!

    Everyone seems to agree this is a hardware problem, but if it
    proves otherwise you might try booting from a Mandriva install
    disk, go to rescue mode, and reinstall the boot loader.

    I think hardware is the culprit, but one never knows...

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  11. Re: My PC (Mandriva on board) hangs up at startup... What is corrupted?

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > yacoll wrote:
    >> Christopher Hunter napisał(a):

    >>> I had much the same thing on a server yesterday. On power-up, there
    >>> was a
    >>> loud buzz, followed by a loud bang and a cloud of smoke. Luckily, a
    >>> replacement power supply got the machine working OK.

    >> Ok, Guys, I'll make a closer look to that part...
    >>
    >> I'm going to report results to the group.
    >>
    >> Best regards!
    >>

    > Everyone seems to agree this is a hardware problem, but if it
    > proves otherwise you might try booting from a Mandriva install
    > disk, go to rescue mode, and reinstall the boot loader.
    >
    > I think hardware is the culprit, but one never knows...
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    The only thing I agree upon is that power supplies can "blow up". My
    experiences suggest that they can create problems before they terminally
    fail.

    Lest anyone think I can run with the big dogs on this board. Which I can't.

  12. Re: My PC (Mandriva on board) hangs up at startup... What is corrupted?

    yacoll wrote:

    >> I recently had similar problems which seem to have turned out to be the
    >> power supply. Start backing up your data immediately. If your power
    >> supply eventualy explodes like mine did it might take out a drive. Like
    >> it did mine.

    > What a mess, is sounds seriously... :-( I'll try to get proper-working
    > power supply and replace with this one. Maybe it'll help...
    >
    > BTW: Is it really possible for power supply to explode...?
    >
    > Thanks for your responses!

    Late reply: yes, they do sometimes (the big caps inside are the issues).
    At w0rkplace when that happened to a trusty old lab pc 2 weeks ago, the
    mainboard was completely shot dead - no new psu could fix it. And indeed,
    attaching the harddrive to another computer produced some sort of
    rolling-mumbles sound and a little shake on the drive (held in hands), but
    it was trash as well. I have not bothered to test the gpib card on another
    computer anymore ...