Strange networking problem on Dell 850 server - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Strange networking problem on Dell 850 server - Mandriva ; I'm setting up a number of Dell Poweredge 850 machines as web servers using Mandriva 2007.1 These boxes have dual gigabit network interfaces using a Broadcom chipset and use the 'tg3' driver. After installing Mandriva on the first server and ...

  1. Strange networking problem on Dell 850 server

    I'm setting up a number of Dell Poweredge 850 machines as web servers
    using Mandriva 2007.1 These boxes have dual gigabit network interfaces
    using a Broadcom chipset and use the 'tg3' driver.

    After installing Mandriva on the first server and setting everything up
    correctly, I made a tarball of the entire filesystem and installed it on
    the other servers, changing IP addresses, node names etc in the process.
    I've done this kind of thing dozens of times before with no problems.
    However when any of the 'clone' machines boots, instead of the ethernet
    interfaces appearing as eth0 and eth1, I get eth8 and eth9 - or sometimes
    eth4 and eth5! The onscreen messages report that eth0 and eth1 do not
    exist, and dmesg has entries reporting that eth8 and eth9 suddenly become
    available.

    If I ignore this behaviour and manually set the network parameters for
    eth8 or whatever the interface is now called, the network seems to fail
    for perhaps 10 seconds every few minutes, making the server unusable.

    These four servers appear to be identical, the serial (tag) numbers are in
    the same range, the firmware and BIOS revisions are the same. They have
    previously been running windows server software with no problems.

    I've tinkered with settings in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    including MII_NOT_SUPPORTED and LINK_DETECTION_DELAY. I've tried
    the 'experimental' kernel
    kernel-tmb-server-smp-2.6.20.4-3mdv-1-1mdv2007.1.i586.rpm from contrib,
    which has an updated tg3 driver. Nothing works.

    I really don't want to have to install each of these machines individually
    (even assuming that would fix the problem), because of the time taken and
    the risk that something will get missed, and because I then have no
    confidence that restore-from-backup would work.

    Any ideas?
    --
    Dave

  2. Re: Strange networking problem on Dell 850 server

    On Tue, 29 May 2007 10:55:05 -0400, Dave Pickles wrote:

    > However when any of the 'clone' machines boots, instead of the ethernet
    > interfaces appearing as eth0 and eth1, I get eth8 and eth9 - or sometimes

    Copying from the thread "firewall not working" ...

    See the thread
    http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.os...7c90b80c00a94b
    for info on which files to remove, or modify, so the new macid will be
    assigned to eth0.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Strange networking problem on Dell 850 server

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Tue, 29 May 2007 10:55:05 -0400, Dave Pickles
    > wrote:
    >
    >> However when any of the 'clone' machines boots, instead of the ethernet
    >> interfaces appearing as eth0 and eth1, I get eth8 and eth9 - or
    >> sometimes

    > Copying from the thread "firewall not working" ...
    >
    > See the thread

    http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.os...7c90b80c00a94b
    > for info on which files to remove, or modify, so the new macid will be
    > assigned to eth0.

    Aha! I wondered if the system was storing the MAC address somewhere, but
    didn't spot that file. On the assumption that it fixes the problem at
    work tomorrow, very many thanks!
    --
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread