plugin problems - Mandriva

This is a discussion on plugin problems - Mandriva ; I recently re-installed a lightweight Mandriva 2006. My browser is Firefox with Konqueror available if needed. Before I re-installed I was using a web cam at http://66.240.89.136/ with no problems. Now I get the message that I need a plugin ...

  1. plugin problems

    I recently re-installed a lightweight Mandriva 2006. My browser is
    Firefox with Konqueror available if needed. Before I re-installed I was
    using a web cam at http://66.240.89.136/ with no problems. Now I get the
    message that I need a plugin to see this image; when I follow the prompt
    I am told that there is no plugin available. Can anyone suggest how I
    may regain the web cam image?
    Thanks.

  2. Re: plugin problems

    George wrote:
    > I recently re-installed a lightweight Mandriva 2006. My browser is
    > Firefox with Konqueror available if needed. Before I re-installed I was
    > using a web cam at http://66.240.89.136/ with no problems. Now I get the
    > message that I need a plugin to see this image; when I follow the prompt
    > I am told that there is no plugin available. Can anyone suggest how I
    > may regain the web cam image?
    > Thanks.

    Revert to your previous OS, from backup. You do have backups,
    I trust.

    Or, provide enough information that someone might be able to
    help. Which verison of Firefox and Konqueror? What plugin is
    missing? What is the _exact_ error message received?
    Cut-and-Paste preferred, as summaries typed out may omit
    critical details....

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: plugin problems

    On 2007-05-28, George wrote:
    > I recently re-installed a lightweight Mandriva 2006. My browser is
    > Firefox with Konqueror available if needed. Before I re-installed I was
    > using a web cam at http://66.240.89.136/ with no problems. Now I get the
    > message that I need a plugin to see this image; when I follow the prompt
    > I am told that there is no plugin available. Can anyone suggest how I
    > may regain the web cam image?
    > Thanks.

    There seems to be a Java 'Applet' trying to run, but it 'runs away' in
    Opera and does nothing in Galeon or Firefox.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  4. Re: plugin problems

    George wrote:
    > I recently re-installed a lightweight Mandriva 2006. My browser is
    > Firefox with Konqueror available if needed. Before I re-installed I was
    > using a web cam at http://66.240.89.136/ with no problems. Now I get the
    > message that I need a plugin to see this image; when I follow the prompt
    > I am told that there is no plugin available. Can anyone suggest how I
    > may regain the web cam image?
    > Thanks.

    Using 2006 "Free" here, and Seamonkey: After a few second's delay, I can
    view a webcam located in Ft. Lauderdale at that URL. It is a Java
    applet, and I have a JRE plug-in installed.

  5. Re: plugin problems

    none wrote:
    > George wrote:
    >
    >> I recently re-installed a lightweight Mandriva 2006. My browser is
    >> Firefox with Konqueror available if needed. Before I re-installed I
    >> was using a web cam at http://66.240.89.136/ with no problems. Now I
    >> get the message that I need a plugin to see this image; when I follow
    >> the prompt I am told that there is no plugin available. Can anyone
    >> suggest how I may regain the web cam image?
    >> Thanks.

    > Using 2006 "Free" here, and Seamonkey: After a few second's delay, I can
    > view a webcam located in Ft. Lauderdale at that URL. It is a Java
    > applet, and I have a JRE plug-in installed.

    Thanks, the java plug-in fixed it.

  6. Re: plugin problems

    On Mon, 28 May 2007 11:33:46 -0400, George wrote:

    > I recently re-installed a lightweight Mandriva 2006. My browser is
    > Firefox with Konqueror available if needed. Before I re-installed I was
    > using a web cam at http://66.240.89.136/ with no problems. Now I get the
    > message that I need a plugin to see this image; when I follow the prompt

    Which plugin is it saying you need?

    The site works fine here, in opera, firefox, and konqueror.

    Ensure you have java installed, and enabled under firefox's
    Edit/Preferences/Content.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: plugin problems

    Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2007-05-28, George wrote:
    >> I recently re-installed a lightweight Mandriva 2006. My browser is
    >> Firefox with Konqueror available if needed. Before I re-installed I was
    >> using a web cam at http://66.240.89.136/ with no problems. Now I get the
    >> message that I need a plugin to see this image; when I follow the prompt
    >> I am told that there is no plugin available. Can anyone suggest how I
    >> may regain the web cam image?
    >> Thanks.

    > There seems to be a Java 'Applet' trying to run, but it 'runs away' in
    > Opera and does nothing in Galeon or Firefox.

    Works fine on my firefox. Beach looks pretty nice! Applet Capture Client
    started. Does not seem to be a Adobe Flash. Make sure you don't have ad
    block plus active or something similar. Looks like java might the missing
    plug in, only my two cents worth.

    2007.1
    firefox 2.0.0.3
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  8. Re: plugin problems

    On 2007-05-28, Rich wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >
    >> On 2007-05-28, George wrote:
    >>> I recently re-installed a lightweight Mandriva 2006. My browser is
    >>> Firefox with Konqueror available if needed. Before I re-installed I was
    >>> using a web cam at http://66.240.89.136/ with no problems. Now I get the
    >>> message that I need a plugin to see this image; when I follow the prompt
    >>> I am told that there is no plugin available. Can anyone suggest how I
    >>> may regain the web cam image?
    >>> Thanks.

    >> There seems to be a Java 'Applet' trying to run, but it 'runs away' in
    >> Opera and does nothing in Galeon or Firefox.
    >>

    > Works fine on my firefox. Beach looks pretty nice! Applet Capture Client
    > started. Does not seem to be a Adobe Flash. Make sure you don't have ad
    > block plus active or something similar. Looks like java might the missing
    > plug in, only my two cents worth.
    >
    > 2007.1
    > firefox 2.0.0.3

    Opera doesn't use the Java plug-in, it calls the jre directly. Galeon and
    Firefox on my system both have the Java plugin 'installed' but although
    the applet seems to run, no images appear. I wonder if my being a long
    way away from the USA has anything to do with it?

    --
    -- Whiskers

  9. Re: plugin problems

    On Mon, 28 May 2007 18:08:41 -0400, Whiskers wrote:

    > Opera doesn't use the Java plug-in, it calls the jre directly. Galeon and
    > Firefox on my system both have the Java plugin 'installed' but although
    > the applet seems to run, no images appear. I wonder if my being a long
    > way away from the USA has anything to do with it?

    I'm using opera, on dialup. It takes about a minute, for the image to load.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins