random 2007.1 freeze - Mandriva

This is a discussion on random 2007.1 freeze - Mandriva ; Hi having a strange problem with 2007.1. freezes at random sometimes after a day, sometimes after 20 min or so. I know its not the hardware..Suse 10.2 is rock solid on this box. problem is, I am not sure of ...

  1. random 2007.1 freeze

    Hi
    having a strange problem with 2007.1. freezes at random sometimes
    after a day, sometimes after 20 min or so. I know its not the
    hardware..Suse 10.2 is rock solid on this box. problem is, I am not
    sure of where to start looking in the logs..so if anybody have a idea
    of where I should poke around..pls let me know.

    I have the 32 bit version of the powerpack installes on an AMD64
    machine.. maybe I should get the 64 bit version, but not to keen on
    that yet

    thanks
    Paul

  2. Re: random 2007.1 freeze

    kocourek wrote:

    > Hi
    > having a strange problem with 2007.1. freezes at random sometimes
    > after a day, sometimes after 20 min or so. I know its not the
    > hardware..Suse 10.2 is rock solid on this box. problem is, I am not
    > sure of where to start looking in the logs..so if anybody have a idea
    > of where I should poke around..pls let me know.

    Have you updated to the latest kernel?

    There was an issue in 2.6.17-13mdv with some USB devices, which sometimes
    caused this to happen. Kernel 2.6.17-14mdv seems to have resolved this.

    (If you do update your kernel be sure to update the kernel-source or
    kernel-source-stripped package, if you have one of those installed,
    otherwise some of your hardware may cease to function.)

    Jim

  3. Re: random 2007.1 freeze

    On Mon, 28 May 2007 04:38:35 -0400, kocourek wrote:

    > Hi
    > having a strange problem with 2007.1. freezes at random sometimes
    > after a day, sometimes after 20 min or so. I know its not the
    > hardware..Suse 10.2 is rock solid on this box. problem is, I am not
    > sure of where to start looking in the logs..so if anybody have a idea
    > of where I should poke around..pls let me know.

    It may still be a hardware issue, as you may have cpufreqd, or similar
    installed in suse, to reduce the cpu speed, when it gets too hot.

    Keep an eye on
    cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: random 2007.1 freeze

    On Mon, 28 May 2007, James Kerr wrote:

    > kocourek wrote:
    >
    >> Hi having a strange problem with 2007.1. freezes at random
    >> sometimes after a day, sometimes after 20 min or so. I know its not
    >> the hardware..Suse 10.2 is rock solid on this box. problem is, I am
    >> not sure of where to start looking in the logs..so if anybody have
    >> a idea of where I should poke around..pls let me know.
    >>

    > Have you updated to the latest kernel?
    >
    > There was an issue in 2.6.17-13mdv with some USB devices, which
    > sometimes caused this to happen. Kernel 2.6.17-14mdv seems to have
    > resolved this.
    >
    > (If you do update your kernel be sure to update the kernel-source or
    > kernel-source-stripped package, if you have one of those installed,
    > otherwise some of your hardware may cease to function.)

    I was also seeing occasional lockups and having just tried updating
    the kernel from 2.6.17-13 to 14 - I'd recommend doing it in a session
    (i.e. a clean boot) where you haven't disconnected a usb device

    For me it installed but didn't complete - after 10 minutes I tentatively
    tried control-c which it didn't respond to and looking at
    /var/log/messages I see screeds of

    May 28 20:59:47 faure kernel: sda : status=0, message=00, host=7, driver=00
    May 28 20:59:47 faure kernel: sda : sense not available.
    May 28 20:59:47 faure kernel: sda: Write Protect is off
    May 28 20:59:47 faure kernel: sda: assuming drive cache: write through
    May 28 20:59:47 faure kernel: sda: unable to read partition table
    May 28 20:59:47 faure kernel: sdd : READ CAPACITY failed.

    (and lots of other device failures!)

    though these messages do appear to have started before the urpmi was
    invoked probably when I last did a usb disconnect

    I think a careful reboot is called for...before /var gets full

    Robert
    --
    La grenouille songe..dans son ch√Ęteau d'eau
    Links and things http://rmstar.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread