Anyone using 2007.1 +non-mdv kernel +Geforce X driver - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Anyone using 2007.1 +non-mdv kernel +Geforce X driver - Mandriva ; I built a kerne; -- Linux Help: http://rsgibson.com/linux.htm Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg Replace borg with net...

  1. Anyone using 2007.1 +non-mdv kernel +Geforce X driver

    I built a kerne;

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  2. Re: Anyone using 2007.1 +non-mdv kernel +Geforce X driver

    On Sun, 27 May 2007 20:11:39 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:

    I see the original post got screwed up.

    2007.1, 32 bit

    Nvidia X driver works fine with X-KDE and stock mdv kernel.

    I needed latest generic kernel from kernel.org (2.6.21.3)

    I built same using the mdv .config file in /boot and make oldconfig.

    Boots up fine but now when I build Nvidia module and try to start X it
    fails. Logs don't show anything noteworthy.

    Has anyone else had a similar issue?

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  3. Re: Anyone using 2007.1 +non-mdv kernel +Geforce X driver

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > 2007.1, 32 bit
    > Nvidia X driver works fine with X-KDE and stock mdv kernel.
    > I needed latest generic kernel from kernel.org (2.6.21.3)
    > I built same using the mdv .config file in /boot and make oldconfig.
    >
    > Boots up fine but now when I build Nvidia module and try to start X it
    > fails. Logs don't show anything noteworthy.

    Does the symlink /usr/src/linux point to the top of the source
    code tree for the new kernel? I think the Nvidia installer uses
    this link to find the source for the current kernel.

    Several versions back, I had a problem with symlinks under
    /lib/modules. Under 2006 and 2007, these were not present,
    though, so perhaps that source of confusion has disappeared.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: Anyone using 2007.1 +non-mdv kernel +Geforce X driver

    On Mon, 28 May 2007 14:14:00 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:

    >> Boots up fine but now when I build Nvidia module and try to start X it
    >> fails. Logs don't show anything noteworthy.

    > Does the symlink /usr/src/linux point to the top of the source code tree
    > for the new kernel? I think the Nvidia installer uses this link to find
    > the source for the current kernel.

    Yes. See the module builds and install fine. When I go to start X it
    flashes the Nvidia screen for a second and then drops back to a tty.

    The Xorg log often reports errors that are non-fatal. It did report this
    but I am not familiar with the type of error this is...

    Backtrace:
    0: /etc/X11/X(xf86SigHandler+0x85) [0x80c1dd5]
    1: [0xffffe420]
    2: /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1 [0xb7671948]

    Fatal server error:
    Caught signal 11. Server aborting

    > Several versions back, I had a problem with symlinks under /lib/modules.
    > Under 2006 and 2007, these were not present, though, so perhaps that
    > source of confusion has disappeared.

    Unless someone has an idea I'm gonna see if there is a newer Nvidia
    driver package and try that if so.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  5. Re: Anyone using 2007.1 +non-mdv kernel +Geforce X driver

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 May 2007 14:14:00 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >>> Boots up fine but now when I build Nvidia module and try to start X it
    >>> fails. Logs don't show anything noteworthy.

    >> Does the symlink /usr/src/linux point to the top of the source code tree
    >> for the new kernel? I think the Nvidia installer uses this link to find
    >> the source for the current kernel.

    > Yes. See the module builds and install fine. When I go to start X it
    > flashes the Nvidia screen for a second and then drops back to a tty.
    >
    > The Xorg log often reports errors that are non-fatal. It did report this
    > but I am not familiar with the type of error this is...
    >
    > Backtrace:
    > 0: /etc/X11/X(xf86SigHandler+0x85) [0x80c1dd5]
    > 1: [0xffffe420]
    > 2: /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1 [0xb7671948]

    On my system (2007.0):

    $ locate libGLcore.so.1
    /usr/lib/nvidia/libGLcore.so.1.0.9631
    /usr/lib/nvidia/libGLcore.so.1

    Section Module in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

    Load "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so"

    I'm not sure this has anything to do with your problem but I noticed the
    2: /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1 [0xb7671948] in your message.

    WillemV

  6. Resolved - Re: Anyone using 2007.1 +non-mdv kernel +Geforce X driver

    On Mon, 28 May 2007 17:49:47 +0000, WillemV wrote:

    > On my system (2007.0):

    > $ locate libGLcore.so.1
    > /usr/lib/nvidia/libGLcore.so.1.0.9631 /usr/lib/nvidia/libGLcore.so.1

    > Section Module in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

    > Load "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so"

    > I'm not sure this has anything to do with your problem but I noticed the
    > 2: /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1 [0xb7671948] in your message.

    Turns out this is a know problem. Needless to say after my investigation
    I will be running mkfs.ext2 on 2007.1.

    IMO, they have gone steady downhill since they were bought out.

    What they have done is manipulate the file structure in a non-standard
    way so it breaks third party drivers. Oh yes you can get the
    "Official Mandrivia Version" of the driver.

    But let me ask "to what purpose does this serve". Do they want to mimic
    Red Hat or Suse? Do they want to get lots and lots of subscribers? Both
    answers turn me totally off and the last three releases have been like
    this.

    Well I've had enough. I'm done with mdv. Anyway Slackware does
    everything I need it too AND works with all third party drivers. No one
    twists your arm to donate and it's the father of almost all current
    distros.

    I guess I'll need to find another distro to play with now. I still hang
    out and try to answer a few questions but I fear mdv is becoming so
    twisted my answer may not apply.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  7. Re: Anyone using 2007.1 +non-mdv kernel +Geforce X driver

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 May 2007 20:11:39 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:
    >
    > I see the original post got screwed up.
    >
    > 2007.1, 32 bit
    >
    > Nvidia X driver works fine with X-KDE and stock mdv kernel.
    >
    > I needed latest generic kernel from kernel.org (2.6.21.3)
    >
    > I built same using the mdv .config file in /boot and make oldconfig.
    >
    > Boots up fine but now when I build Nvidia module and try to start X it
    > fails. Logs don't show anything noteworthy.
    >
    > Has anyone else had a similar issue?

    Yes, and I posted the gory details in this very newsgroup with the
    subject "Failed auto build of nvidia modules on new kernel".

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...c6e6356790a0ef

    The short answer is:

    1. uninstall the mandriva supplied nvidia driver. Note, the PLF
    variant has the same problem(s).
    2. rebuild the 2.6.21.3 kernel, because the Mandriva driver will have
    trashed it when it tried to install. (Much pain in figuring this part out.)
    3. Download the Nvidia driver directly from nvidia.com and install it with

    sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9755-pkg1.run

    4. set up your xorg.conf, and away you go.

    Regards,

    David Mathog

+ Reply to Thread