Download of MDV (Also Verizon ADSL Warning) - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Download of MDV (Also Verizon ADSL Warning) - Mandriva ; As for downloading are 2007.1 and 2007 "Spring" the same editions? If not which is the latest version. I'm getting the "Spring DVD through torrent now. Also just a heads up on Verizon ADSL. I've had them now for years ...

  1. Download of MDV (Also Verizon ADSL Warning)

    As for downloading are 2007.1 and 2007 "Spring" the same editions? If not
    which is the latest version. I'm getting the "Spring DVD through torrent
    now.

    Also just a heads up on Verizon ADSL. I've had them now for years
    starting with a 768KBs line, $29/month. When I signed up I asked them
    several times that after a few months the price would go from $24.95 to
    $29.95 and would stay there from then on (Someone else handles the bill
    paying). After a few months they upped my speed to 1.5MBs, no charge -
    It was the new deal.

    Anyway I noticed that the phone bill seemed to be running too high. I
    see the pay outs in my online banking. Well I dug out the bill and
    those turkeys were charging me $37.95 for a 1.5MBs connection and the
    current deal was $29.95 for a *3MBs* connection.

    Of course I was PO'd. So I called and burned them a new earhole.

    Turned out OK though. They dropped it back to $29.95 and upped it to a
    3MBs line.

    So watch out that they don't pull a fast one on you.

    Side note:
    Right now there is a ton of competition in Tampa. We are one of the few
    cities that have both FIOS and ADSL through Verizon and Cable TV and ISP
    through Brighthouse. The competition is fierce and the consumers are
    getting some good deals.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  2. Re: Download of MDV (Also Verizon ADSL Warning)

    On Tue, 22 May 2007 20:50:11 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > As for downloading are 2007.1 and 2007 "Spring" the same editions? If not
    > which is the latest version. I'm getting the "Spring DVD through torrent
    > now.

    Same release - Spring is named 2007.1 on the mirrors.

    > Well I dug out the bill and those turkeys were charging me $37.95 for
    > a 1.5MBs connection and the current deal was $29.95 for a *3MBs*
    > connection.

    We had 256kbit DSL from our local telco for a few years. I discovered
    recently that they were offering 1Mbit for a *lower* price than we were
    paying for 256kbit so I called and got an upgrade to 1Mbit (would have
    gone for a faster package but the line can't handle it). It is definitely
    worth keeping an eye on the current offers.

    The local cable TV internet offerings are even better value but
    unfortunately not available in our area yet.

  3. Re: Download of MDV (Also Verizon ADSL Warning)

    On Wed, 23 May 2007 01:47:15 -0300, Snowbat wrote:

    >> As for downloading are 2007.1 and 2007 "Spring" the same editions? If
    >> not which is the latest version. I'm getting the "Spring DVD through
    >> torrent now.

    > Same release - Spring is named 2007.1 on the mirrors.

    I suspected as much as the easyurpmi site did not have a 2007.1 -Just
    2007 "Spring".

    >> Well I dug out the bill and those turkeys were charging me $37.95 for a
    >> 1.5MBs connection and the current deal was $29.95 for a *3MBs*
    >> connection.

    > We had 256kbit DSL from our local telco for a few years. I discovered
    > recently that they were offering 1Mbit for a *lower* price than we were
    > paying for 256kbit so I called and got an upgrade to 1Mbit (would have
    > gone for a faster package but the line can't handle it). It is definitely
    > worth keeping an eye on the current offers.

    Boy I was really ticked off because they said it would never go above
    that $29 price, which makes sense because of the economy of scale
    applies to this type of service. Then catching them overcharging me for
    half the speed - Well I almost went ballistic.

    > The local cable TV internet offerings are even better value but
    > unfortunately not available in our area yet.

    And when they do just watch the prices plummet! Like I said both Verizon
    and Brighthouse are offering the same deals in our city. You can get a
    15MB/s FIOS line for about $50/month. That's way more speed that I need,
    though and actual measured speed is more like about 13MB/s. Still that's
    *very* fast, way faster than I thought I'd ever see when I got my go
    fast USR 14.4 dial up MODEM

    BTW, I think you'll find that 1MB/s line quite fast, plenty fast
    enough for UT2004, for example. You should get sustained downloads at
    about 130KB/s, maybe more. The 1.5 line maxed out at about 200KB/s for
    me.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  4. Re: Download of MDV (Also Verizon ADSL Warning)

    Snowbat wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 May 2007 20:50:11 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:
    >
    >> As for downloading are 2007.1 and 2007 "Spring" the same editions? If not
    >> which is the latest version. I'm getting the "Spring DVD through torrent
    >> now.

    > Same release - Spring is named 2007.1 on the mirrors.
    >

    >> Well I dug out the bill and those turkeys were charging me $37.95 for
    >> a 1.5MBs connection and the current deal was $29.95 for a *3MBs*
    >> connection.

    > We had 256kbit DSL from our local telco for a few years. I discovered
    > recently that they were offering 1Mbit for a *lower* price than we were
    > paying for 256kbit so I called and got an upgrade to 1Mbit (would have
    > gone for a faster package but the line can't handle it). It is definitely
    > worth keeping an eye on the current offers.
    >
    > The local cable TV internet offerings are even better value but
    > unfortunately not available in our area yet.

    Do you folks think that 1 Mb is fast? We get 8 Mb service as standard ADSL
    here in the UK, and it costs between 9 and 20 per month according to your
    download requirements (ranging from /very/ restricted to unlimited).

    We also get 20 Mb or (sometimes) more on cable TV networks. My 20 Mb
    connection costs just short of 30 per month (about 1 or $2 a day) with
    unlimited downloads.

    C.

  5. Re: Download of MDV (Also Verizon ADSL Warning)

    On 2007-05-23, Snowbat wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 May 2007 20:50:11 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:
    >
    >> As for downloading are 2007.1 and 2007 "Spring" the same editions? If not
    >> which is the latest version. I'm getting the "Spring DVD through torrent
    >> now.

    > Same release - Spring is named 2007.1 on the mirrors.
    >

    >> Well I dug out the bill and those turkeys were charging me $37.95 for
    >> a 1.5MBs connection and the current deal was $29.95 for a *3MBs*
    >> connection.

    > We had 256kbit DSL from our local telco for a few years. I discovered
    > recently that they were offering 1Mbit for a *lower* price than we were
    > paying for 256kbit so I called and got an upgrade to 1Mbit (would have
    > gone for a faster package but the line can't handle it). It is definitely
    > worth keeping an eye on the current offers.
    >
    > The local cable TV internet offerings are even better value but
    > unfortunately not available in our area yet.

    Be aware that Comcast has something like a 2GB/month limit on newsgroup
    downloads. I download alot of music/audiobooks via NNTP, so I'd go back
    to dialup before using Comcast.

    > --

  6. Re: Download of MDV (Also Verizon ADSL Warning)

    Snowbat wrote:
    > The local cable TV internet offerings are even better value but
    > unfortunately not available in our area yet.

    I like being able to choose my ISP, and AFAIK, internet access via
    cable modem means no choice of ISP (at least in the USA).

  7. Re: Download of MDV (Also Verizon ADSL Warning)

    Scott B. wrote:

    > Snowbat wrote:
    >> The local cable TV internet offerings are even better value but
    >> unfortunately not available in our area yet.

    > I like being able to choose my ISP, and AFAIK, internet access via
    > cable modem means no choice of ISP (at least in the USA).

    That's true over here in the UK, too. However, there's no other real option
    unless you can put up with the inherently lower speeds of ADSL.

    Apparently there are 16 Mb trials of ADSL in progress at present in some
    parts of the UK. However, we have /very/ old telecoms infrastructure, and
    some of the telephone cables have been in the ground for close to 100
    years! This means that ADSL speeds are very variable in different areas.

    C.

  8. Re: Download of MDV (Also Verizon ADSL Warning)

    > Apparently there are 16 Mb trials of ADSL in progress at present in some
    > parts of the UK. However, we have /very/ old telecoms infrastructure, and
    > some of the telephone cables have been in the ground for close to 100
    > years! This means that ADSL speeds are very variable in different areas.

    =========================
    Being located rural northern Scotland ,until 2 months ago I only managed
    to get
    (at best) 900 kBits/sec download not only because of distance to 'local'
    exchange but also due to the low copper cross section area of (old)
    phone cable.
    However I now enjoy the delights of ADSL-Max implemented by BT giving me
    up to 3.3 Mbits/sec download (average over a day approx 2.4Mbits/sec ,be
    it that on a few occasions my ISP (not being BT) throttling the traffic
    to sub-1Mbits/sec . But overall I can't complain.

    Frank

  9. Re: Download of MDV (Also Verizon ADSL Warning)

    On Fri, 25 May 2007 05:05:33 +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > Apparently there are 16 Mb trials of ADSL in progress at present in
    > some
    > parts of the UK. However, we have /very/ old telecoms infrastructure, and
    > some of the telephone cables have been in the ground for close to 100
    > years! This means that ADSL speeds are very variable in different areas.

    Well here we have ADSL and also have FIOS. FIOS is similar to cable in
    that they have to lay a dedicated underground fiber optic line. They
    wired the whole city about 18 months ago.

    Actually I dunno why you say ADSL is slow. Mine is 3Mb/s down and
    768Kb/s up and is plenty fast enough for me. In fact I was thinking
    about saving a few bucks and going to the 768Kb/s line. My buddy has a
    15Mb/s FIOS line and actual speed is a lot lower as for one many sites
    throttle your bandwidth and you can only download data as fast as they
    serve it up.

    I guess if your downloading entire movies or something like that you'd
    need as much speed as possible but for my purposes 3Mb/s is fine.

    If you have a business or 4-5 machines on a LAN then it's a different
    story.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  10. Re: Download of MDV (Also Verizon ADSL Warning)

    Ron Gibson wrote:

    > Actually I dunno why you say ADSL is slow. Mine is 3Mb/s down and
    > 768Kb/s up and is plenty fast enough for me.

    Fair enough, but it wouldn't work for me!

    Chris

  11. Re: Download of MDV (Also Verizon ADSL Warning)

    On Thu, 24 May 2007 17:33:35 -0700, Scott B. wrote:
    > Snowbat wrote:
    >> The local cable TV internet offerings are even better value but
    >> unfortunately not available in our area yet.

    > I like being able to choose my ISP, and AFAIK, internet access via
    > cable modem means no choice of ISP (at least in the USA).

    Not exactly true. I'm a (captive) Comcast 'customer'. My shell account
    is at an ISP some 2,500 miles away.

    Before moving here, I was stuck with Qwest ADSL. I used the same (even
    more distant) ISP then, too.

    Even if you don't have choices, you have choices.

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts: