synaptics touchpad on HP 510 notebook - Mandriva

This is a discussion on synaptics touchpad on HP 510 notebook - Mandriva ; Hi folks. I'm trying any to get the synaptics touch pad on my HP 510 note book to work without any success. I did a search in MCC's software management for any thing containing synaptics, and installed this: May 17 ...

  1. synaptics touchpad on HP 510 notebook

    Hi folks.
    I'm trying any to get the synaptics touch pad on my HP 510 note book to work
    without any success. I did a search in MCC's software management for any
    thing containing synaptics, and installed this:

    May 17 16:17:15 localhost rpmdrake[7798]: [RPM]
    libsynaptics0-0.14.6c-1mdv2007.1 installed
    May 17 16:17:23 localhost rpmdrake[7798]: [RPM] synaptics-0.14.6-2mdv2007.1
    installed
    May 17 16:17:24 localhost rpmdrake[7798]: [RPM] qsynaptics-0.22.0-2mdk
    installed
    May 17 16:17:28 localhost rpmdrake[7798]: [RPM] ksynaptics-0.3.2-1mdv2007.1
    installed

    Looking through the configured hard ware list there is no sign of the touch
    pad, though it auto detects the usb mouse when I plug it in. My xorg.config
    file shows this in the mouse "inputDevice" section:

    Section "InputDevice"
    * * Identifier "Mouse1"
    * * Driver "mouse"
    * * Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    * * Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    EndSection
    Any ideas or suggestions?
    --
    Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of parliment
    with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)

  2. Re: synaptics touchpad on HP 510 notebook

    On Tue, 22 May 2007 07:06:07 -0400, John Bowden wrote:

    > I'm trying any to get the synaptics touch pad on my HP 510 note book to work
    > Section "InputDevice"
    > * * Identifier "Mouse1"
    > * * Driver "mouse"
    > * * Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    > * * Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    > EndSection

    See http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Syna...Edit_xorg.conf
    for the changed to xorg.conf, needed to use the pad as an input device.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: synaptics touchpad on HP 510 notebook

    Tom Cumming wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 May 2007 12:06:07 +0100, John Bowden wrote:
    >
    >> Any ideas or suggestions?

    > I'm sure you'll have done this, but have you checked the BIOS setup? I
    > used to have a Dell laptop whose Synaptics touchpad could be completely
    > disabled in the BIOS and just use external devices.

    I will have a look at the bios settings. I don't remember seeing a mouse or
    ps2 setting last time I was in the bios, in fact compared to all my desktop
    and server pc's there was not much to play around with in the bios I don't
    think that's the problem as it works in windoz.
    --
    Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of parliment
    with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)
    Registered Linux user number 414240

  4. Re: synaptics touchpad on HP 510 notebook

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 May 2007 07:06:07 -0400, John Bowden
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying any to get the synaptics touch pad on my HP 510 note book to
    >> work Section "InputDevice"
    >> Identifier "Mouse1"
    >> Driver "mouse"
    >> Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    >> Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    >> EndSection

    > See http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Syna...Edit_xorg.conf
    > for the changed to xorg.conf, needed to use the pad as an input device.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Thanks Dave. Looks very promising. I have just had a quick browse through
    the article and have tried some of the advice as to the xorg.conf
    alterations.will have a good look this evening and give it a bash.
    --
    Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of parliment
    with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)
    Registered Linux user number 414240

+ Reply to Thread