parallel scanner /dev ? mandriva 2007.1 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on parallel scanner /dev ? mandriva 2007.1 - Mandriva ; Hi. I'm confused here: i'm setting a old parallel scanner (a mustek 1200CP) in my portable pc, so i edit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and /etc/sane.d/mustek_pp.conf to enable sane detection on the parallel port. mandriva control center, scanner section, tells me that the ...

  1. parallel scanner /dev ? mandriva 2007.1

    Hi.

    I'm confused here:

    i'm setting a old parallel scanner (a mustek 1200CP) in my portable pc,
    so i edit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and /etc/sane.d/mustek_pp.conf to enable sane
    detection on the parallel port.

    mandriva control center, scanner section, tells me that the scanner is
    avaiable, ok...

    kooka and xsane don't detect the scanner... bad.

    just now, i found out that running xsane or kooka as root, the scanner is
    detected, so it's a permission setting, proabably in /dev/

    problem is, i cant't understand witch /dev/ is it... there is
    no /dev/scanner

    i've allready set my user to be participant of lp and saned groups, and
    still can only use the scanner as root.

    i need a hint here, where should i look now?

    Thanks
    ArameFarpado

  2. Re: parallel scanner /dev ? mandriva 2007.1

    On Sun, 20 May 2007 19:41:07 -0400, ArameFarpado wrote:

    > just now, i found out that running xsane or kooka as root, the scanner is
    > detected, so it's a permission setting, proabably in /dev/
    > problem is, i cant't understand witch /dev/ is it... there is
    > no /dev/scanner

    Start xsane, as root. Switch to another console and run (as root)
    "lsof |grep xsane |grep /dev", to see which devices are being used,
    and then check vis ls -l, which group the device is being assigned to.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: parallel scanner /dev ? mandriva 2007.1 (Solved)

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Start xsane, as root. Switch to another console and run (as root)
    > "lsof |grep xsane |grep /dev", to see which devices are being used,
    > and then check vis ls -l, which group the device is being assigned to.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Yeah... a simple and effective tip

    the device is just /dev/parport0
    witch was setting with "600 root.root" permissions.

    now, as this system runs udev, change it manualy only works until next boot,
    and as i hate to change udev rules/settings (udev syntax is too strange for
    me), i solve this in other way:

    just edited /etc/rc.local
    and added this lines:

    chown root.lp /dev/parport0
    chmod 660 /dev/parport0

    my user was allready a member of the "lp" group, so now it's working fine

    thanks a lot
    ArameFarpado

+ Reply to Thread