Updating to New Kernel - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Updating to New Kernel - Mandriva ; When using the update Icon and a new kernel is proposed for updating, will updating to the new kernel cause programs that have worked to stop working? Like Limewire. Thanks, Rich -- "You can lead them to LINUX but you ...

  1. Updating to New Kernel

    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  2. Re: Updating to New Kernel

    Rich wrote:

    > When using the update Icon and a new kernel is proposed for updating, will
    > updating to the new kernel cause programs that have worked to stop working?

    It can happen sometimes.. The latest kernel upgrade for Mandriva 2007.1 Spring
    has messed up the configuration for some users with nVida video cards.

  3. Re: Updating to New Kernel

    Rich wrote:
    > When using the update Icon and a new kernel is proposed for updating, will
    > updating to the new kernel cause programs that have worked to stop working?
    > Like Limewire.

    I do not know about Limewire, but Nvidia video drivers and some
    (most?) wireless drivers are tailored to and tightly integrated
    with each specific kernel. Recompiling the same version can
    require a rebuild for the drivers.

    DKMS (if installed -- the Mandriva default) will attempt to
    build new drivers needed for the new kernel, but it does not
    always succeed.

    Good Luck!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: Updating to New Kernel

    Jim Townsend wrote:

    > Rich wrote:
    >
    >> When using the update Icon and a new kernel is proposed for updating,
    >> will updating to the new kernel cause programs that have worked to stop
    >> working?

    > It can happen sometimes.. The latest kernel upgrade for Mandriva 2007.1
    > Spring has messed up the configuration for some users with nVida video
    > cards.

    Thanks to both of you that responded. I kinda knew that and I suspect my
    limewire has stopped working because of the updated kernel.
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  5. Re: Updating to New Kernel

    Rich writes:

    >When using the update Icon and a new kernel is proposed for updating, will
    >updating to the new kernel cause programs that have worked to stop working?
    >Like Limewire.

    No promises but they should keep working fine, unless the kernel update is
    a major one (2.4 to 2.6 series say) and even then it should be mainly
    device drivers that have problems. No idea what Limewire is.

    >Thanks,
    >Rich
    >--
    >"You can lead them to LINUX
    >but you can't make them THINK"

  6. Re: Updating to New Kernel

    On 2007-05-20, Rich wrote:
    > Jim Townsend wrote:
    >
    >> Rich wrote:
    >>
    >>> When using the update Icon and a new kernel is proposed for updating,
    >>> will updating to the new kernel cause programs that have worked to stop
    >>> working?

    >> It can happen sometimes.. The latest kernel upgrade for Mandriva 2007.1
    >> Spring has messed up the configuration for some users with nVida video
    >> cards.

    > Thanks to both of you that responded. I kinda knew that and I suspect my
    > limewire has stopped working because of the updated kernel.

    If you had the kernel-source or kernel-source-stripped package for the
    previous kernel version installed, then make sure that you install the
    corresponding package for the new kernel. Then with any luck, next time
    you reboot, any modules that need to be re-built should be dealt with
    automatically.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  7. Re: Updating to New Kernel

    On Sun, 20 May 2007 19:25:48 +0000, Rich wrote:

    > Thanks to both of you that responded. I kinda knew that and I suspect
    > my limewire has stopped working because of the updated kernel.

    It shouldn't.

    Open a konsole (a terminal in X) and cd to where LimeWire.jar is.

    Check to make sure java is in the path...

    which java
    /usr/lib/java/bin/java

    Then execute...

    java -jar ./LimeWire.jar

    If THAT fails I will be really surprised.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  8. Re: Updating to New Kernel

    Ron Gibson wrote:

    > On Sun, 20 May 2007 19:25:48 +0000, Rich wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks to both of you that responded. I kinda knew that and I suspect
    >> my limewire has stopped working because of the updated kernel.

    > It shouldn't.
    >
    > Open a konsole (a terminal in X) and cd to where LimeWire.jar is.
    >
    > Check to make sure java is in the path...
    >
    > which java
    > /usr/lib/java/bin/java
    >
    > Then execute...
    >
    > java -jar ./LimeWire.jar
    >
    > If THAT fails I will be really surprised.

    That worked, I'm wondering why I lost the use of the icon on the desktop and
    in application task bar? I'll see if I can fix that.

    Thanks again, you solved my problem.
    Rich
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  9. Re: Updating to New Kernel

    On 2007-05-20, Rich wrote:
    > When using the update Icon and a new kernel is proposed for updating, will
    > updating to the new kernel cause programs that have worked to stop working?
    > Like Limewire.

    As others have said, an update kernel shouldn't adversely
    affect application programs, but it can cause driver
    problems if there are 't's uncrossed or 'i's undotted. On
    the other hand, an update kernel or two for Mandriva 2006
    introduced a regression that allowed one of my Java programs
    to cause a kernel panic. Developers were rather prompt in
    getting that one fixed.

    To test whether it's the kernel itself causing a problem,
    you could try booting from the old kernel. It's usually a
    good idea to keep at least a few older kernels installed in
    case you need to fall back to them. My policy is to never
    uninstall a kernel. (Of course, old kernels get wiped out
    with the clean install of the next OS release.)

    Now, if you were as paranoid as I am, you'd have a bit more
    information on what might have caused the breakage. (I had
    some terminfo files spontaneously go missing, which caused
    the paranoia...) I have a script that I run immediately
    before and immediately after each package update or other
    significant administrative change to a system. The script
    runs "rpm -qa" with output directed to a file. Then, it
    runs a 'for' loop doing "rpm -V" for each package from the
    first command, surrounded by marker lines with the package
    name, with output put into a second file. I keep the files
    around. I compare the files between package updates to make
    sure there were no improper changes. I also compare the
    'before' vs. the 'after' for each update to make sure the
    changes were as expected.

    HTH

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  10. Re: Updating to New Kernel

    On Mon, 21 May 2007 14:14:03 +0000, Rich wrote:

    >> Open a konsole (a terminal in X) and cd to where LimeWire.jar is.

    >> Check to make sure java is in the path...

    >> which java
    >> /usr/lib/java/bin/java

    >> Then execute...

    >> java -jar ./LimeWire.jar

    >> If THAT fails I will be really surprised.

    > That worked, I'm wondering why I lost the use of the icon on the desktop
    > and in application task bar? I'll see if I can fix that.

    I got a few extra tips from using OS/2 java.

    Basically when you call a java application it always sets an environment
    to where the jar files reside (or just cd to that directory) and then
    execute the command

    java -jar *see man java for more info.

    The command you usually run from the desktop is...

    runLime.sh

    It needs to run under a terminal so check your menu setting to see if
    that is enabled and also amke sure the workpath is set to the limewire
    directory.

    Also check runLime.sh for any errors.

    My best guess is you perhaps had a dirty shutdown and lost some of your
    kde desktop settings. This is very common with kde. I keep a backup of
    my most recent ~/.kde

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  11. Re: Updating to New Kernel

    On Mon, 21 May 2007 18:14:43 GMT, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > My best guess is you perhaps had a dirty shutdown and lost some of your
    > kde desktop settings. This is very common with kde.

    Hmmm, does not happen for me.
    Then again I have runlevel 3 set instead of 5 (auto start gui)
    and in the KDE control center I disabled those Micro$not creap
    features. :-/

    KDE Components
    Desktop Search (Beagle)
    Click Daemon Status tab
    Click Stop button top right
    Service Manager
    uncheck all services and stop them
    Sesson Manager
    set Offer shutdown options
    set Start with an empty session <==== that unsets Restore previous session
    set End current session

    > I keep a backup of my most recent ~/.kde

    You might want to also backup the Desktop directory

  12. Re: Updating to New Kernel

    Ron Gibson wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 May 2007 14:14:03 +0000, Rich wrote:
    >
    >>> Open a konsole (a terminal in X) and cd to where LimeWire.jar is.

    >>> Check to make sure java is in the path...

    >>> which java
    >>> /usr/lib/java/bin/java

    >>> Then execute...

    >>> java -jar ./LimeWire.jar

    >>> If THAT fails I will be really surprised.

    >> That worked, I'm wondering why I lost the use of the icon on the desktop
    >> and in application task bar? I'll see if I can fix that.

    > I got a few extra tips from using OS/2 java.
    >
    > Basically when you call a java application it always sets an environment
    > to where the jar files reside (or just cd to that directory) and then
    > execute the command
    >
    > java -jar *see man java for more info.
    >
    > The command you usually run from the desktop is...
    >
    > runLime.sh
    >
    > It needs to run under a terminal so check your menu setting to see if
    > that is enabled and also amke sure the workpath is set to the limewire
    > directory.
    >
    > Also check runLime.sh for any errors.
    >
    > My best guess is you perhaps had a dirty shutdown and lost some of your
    > kde desktop settings. This is very common with kde. I keep a backup of
    > my most recent ~/.kde

    yep already did that. Everything is working fine now. I did change settings
    on my desktop icon properties and no problem now.

    Rich
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  13. Re: Updating to New Kernel

    On Mon, 21 May 2007 18:30:47 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    >> My best guess is you perhaps had a dirty shutdown and lost some of your
    >> kde desktop settings. This is very common with kde.

    > Hmmm, does not happen for me.
    > Then again I have runlevel 3 set instead of 5 (auto start gui) and in the
    > KDE control center I disabled those Micro$not creap features. :

    The crashes are not what I mean is common. I'm saying when there is
    a crash then very often kde settings are lost - I seen this behavior in
    different distros and versions of KDE. IOW, it's a kde thing.

    In particular hotkeys and icon properties are suceptable.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  14. Re: Updating to New Kernel

    On Mon, 21 May 2007 23:48:18 -0400, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > The crashes are not what I mean is common. I'm saying when there is
    > a crash then very often kde settings are lost - I seen this behavior in
    > different distros and versions of KDE. IOW, it's a kde thing.

    Which file system are you using?
    Ext2 - no journaling, a crash loses anything not written to disk
    Ext3 - journals everything. Much less likely to lose data, but slow
    Resierfs - journal meta data only. Faster then ext3, safer then ext2,
    but not as safe as ext3.

    Try adding "hdparm -W 0 /dev/hda", for each of your hard drives,
    in /etc/rc.local, to turn off hard drive write caching. There is
    a performance hit, but for my personal use, I don't notice the
    difference. It greatly reduces the chance of data loss, or file
    system corruption, if things are physically written to disk, when
    the kernel module thinks they have been.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  15. Re: Updating to New Kernel

    On Tue, 22 May 2007 10:37:34 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    >> The crashes are not what I mean is common. I'm saying when there is a
    >> crash then very often kde settings are lost - I seen this behavior in
    >> different distros and versions of KDE. IOW, it's a kde thing.

    > Which file system are you using?
    > Ext2 - no journaling, a crash loses anything not written to disk Ext3 -
    > journals everything. Much less likely to lose data, but slow Resierfs -
    > journal meta data only. Faster then ext3, safer then ext2, but not as safe
    > as ext3.

    Oh I don't think it's the file system as nothing else is disturbed (I
    use ext2).

    I always set "Save settings on Exit" ON

    Apparently kde writes to your ~/.kde on exit and doesn't have time (on
    occasion as this does not happen every time) if you crash. My guess is
    the crash doesn't allow for the time to complete that task.

    If you have minimal customization it's no big deal. In my case I have
    sticky notes, automatic start items, numerous kalarm entries, and lots
    of hotkeys. It's a royal PITA to reset all of that.

    So like I said I just restore my backup of ~/.kde if it happens and all
    is well.

    Also I often am pushing the envelope otherwise I probably *never*
    have a crash.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

+ Reply to Thread