Linksys WUSB54G Adapter and Mandriva Spring 2007.1 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Linksys WUSB54G Adapter and Mandriva Spring 2007.1 - Mandriva ; Hi, This adapter is recognised by Mandriva Linux Control Center which also picks up the SSID of my wireless network. The connection is shown with just 1 red bar for signal strength despite being along side the router, the ethernet ...

  1. Linksys WUSB54G Adapter and Mandriva Spring 2007.1

    Hi,

    This adapter is recognised by Mandriva Linux Control Center which also
    picks up the SSID of my wireless network.
    The connection is shown with just 1 red bar for signal strength despite
    being along side the router, the ethernet connection is working just fine.
    I have entered the WEP key into the configuration but it just will not
    connect.

    The output from "iwconfig" gives:-

    [root@localhost bazwaldo]# iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

    eth0 no wireless extensions.

    eth1 no wireless extensions.

    eth2 no wireless extensions.

    sit0 no wireless extensions.

    rausb0 RT2500USB WLAN ESSID:""
    Mode:Managed Frequency=2.412 GHz Bit Rate=11 Mb/s
    RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Encryption keyff
    Link Quality=0/100 Signal level:-120 dBm Noise level:-210 dBm

    [root@localhost bazwaldo]#

    Can anyone offer assistance in getting this adapter to actually connect
    in simple newbie terms?

    Thanks,
    Barry Webber.

  2. Re: Linksys WUSB54G Adapter and Mandriva Spring 2007.1

    On Sun, 20 May 2007 08:15:08 -0400, Barry Webber wrote:

    > This adapter is recognised by Mandriva Linux Control Center which also
    > picks up the SSID of my wireless network.

    Try the nic in another computer/os, and ensure it isn't a hardware
    problem. I recently had two routers die, after a thunderstorm.
    They were sending out dhcp requests, every two to three seconds,
    and cause the broadband provider to shut off my sister's account,
    till I figured out what was wrong, and replace the routers. One
    was a wirelesss d-link, the other a hardwired motorola.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Linksys WUSB54G Adapter and Mandriva Spring 2007.1

    Barry Webber writes:

    >Hi,

    >This adapter is recognised by Mandriva Linux Control Center which also
    >picks up the SSID of my wireless network.
    >The connection is shown with just 1 red bar for signal strength despite
    >being along side the router, the ethernet connection is working just fine.
    >I have entered the WEP key into the configuration but it just will not
    >connect.

    Try putting the access point onto a different channel. If signal strength
    is bad it could be because of interference.
    When you have trouble, disable all encryption. No point in making things
    harder to debug by having more failure points.

    >The output from "iwconfig" gives:-

    >[root@localhost bazwaldo]# iwconfig
    >lo no wireless extensions.

    >eth0 no wireless extensions.

    >eth1 no wireless extensions.

    >eth2 no wireless extensions.

    Holly mackeral. Do you really have three ethernet cards?

    >sit0 no wireless extensions.

    >rausb0 RT2500USB WLAN ESSID:""
    > Mode:Managed Frequency=2.412 GHz Bit Rate=11 Mb/s
    > RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    > Encryption keyff
    > Link Quality=0/100 Signal level:-120 dBm Noise level:-210 dBm
    > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

    OK, your AP does not have encryption. Your signal level is terrible.

    >[root@localhost bazwaldo]#

    >Can anyone offer assistance in getting this adapter to actually connect
    >in simple newbie terms?

    >Thanks,
    >Barry Webber.

  4. Re: Linksys WUSB54G Adapter and Mandriva Spring 2007.1

    Barry Webber wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > This adapter is recognised by Mandriva Linux Control Center which also
    > picks up the SSID of my wireless network.
    > The connection is shown with just 1 red bar for signal strength despite
    > being along side the router, the ethernet connection is working just fine.
    > I have entered the WEP key into the configuration but it just will not
    > connect.
    >

    > Can anyone offer assistance in getting this adapter to actually connect
    > in simple newbie terms?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Barry Webber.

    Hey Barry.

    I just went a few rounds with this adapter and it eventually worked out
    just fine. I was getting what you are seeing now when I tried to get it
    working under 2007. I updated to 2007.1 and it wouldn't work at all
    until I gave up on the firmware source and installed this.

    ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/vol/5/mandrakelin...7.1.noarch.rpm

    After that, it was a snap.

    Good luck with it. This can be done and the adapter is very nice once
    you get it up.

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    "The only real way to look younger is not to be born so soon."
    -- Charles Schulz, "Things I've Had to Learn Over and
    Over and Over"

  5. Re: Linksys WUSB54G Adapter and Mandriva Spring 2007.1

    Mark Adams wrote:

    > Barry Webber wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> This adapter is recognised by Mandriva Linux Control Center which also
    >> picks up the SSID of my wireless network.
    >> The connection is shown with just 1 red bar for signal strength despite
    >> being along side the router, the ethernet connection is working just
    >> fine. I have entered the WEP key into the configuration but it just will
    >> not connect.
    >>

    >> Can anyone offer assistance in getting this adapter to actually connect
    >> in simple newbie terms?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Barry Webber.

    > Hey Barry.
    >
    > I just went a few rounds with this adapter and it eventually worked out
    > just fine. I was getting what you are seeing now when I tried to get it
    > working under 2007. I updated to 2007.1 and it wouldn't work at all
    > until I gave up on the firmware source and installed this.

    ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/vol/5/mandrakelin...7.1.noarch.rpm

    > After that, it was a snap.
    >
    > Good luck with it. This can be done and the adapter is very nice once
    > you get it up.

    Thanks to everyone who replied to my post, particularly Mark.

    Sorry I haven't responded sooner - PAN allowed me to post the original query
    but wouldn't allow me to add a followup - typing was not happening!

    I am using KNode now and this is working better.

    I tried installing the firmware you linked to Mark but still no joy, the
    situation appears the same.

    One thing I noticed was that I had a forward slash in my SSID, I thought
    this may cause problems by appearing to be a directory so I changed it to a
    hyphen in the Linksys WAG354G router.
    The change immediately showed up when Mandriva Linux Control Center listed
    the available wireless networks.

    The signal strength is still showing just one red bar even though the same
    adapter works fine via another PC running WinXP.

    It seems to be so close to working as it should I still do not know what is
    preventing the connection from coming up.

    Barry Webber.

  6. Re: Linksys WUSB54G Adapter and Mandriva Spring 2007.1

    On Thu, 24 May 2007 06:17:40 -0400, Barry Webber wrote:

    > The signal strength is still showing just one red bar even though the same
    > adapter works fine via another PC running WinXP.

    I'm wondering if it's a dead/dying nic/router. I've recently had to replace
    two routers that died at my sister's place, one wireles, and one wired.
    The symptoms on the wireless one, prior to complete failure were poor
    signal, and intermitent loss of signal. One of the wireless nics was
    also dying, which made the troubleshooting quite tedious.

    Regards, Dave

  7. Re: Linksys WUSB54G Adapter and Mandriva Spring 2007.1

    On 2007-05-24, Barry Webber wrote:

    > It seems to be so close to working as it should I still do not know what is
    > preventing the connection from coming up.
    >
    > Barry Webber.

    Check your logs?

    Lordy

  8. Re: Linksys WUSB54G Adapter and Mandriva Spring 2007.1

    On Thu, 24 May 2007 11:17:40 +0100, Barry Webber wrote:

    > The signal strength is still showing just one red bar even though the same
    > adapter works fine via another PC running WinXP.

    Which suggests that the router is probably OK.

    > It seems to be so close to working as it should I still do not know what is
    > preventing the connection from coming up.

    I've experienced problems like this when there are extra interfaces being
    created, or when driver modules are in conflict.

    Try taking down your other interfaces before connecting via rausb0. If
    that doesn't help, use lsmod to see what modules are loaded and remove
    those for the wired interface(s).

    And BTW, I have an RT2570 that shows as rausb0 and I've had it working
    under several different distros. That chipset seems to have a better
    (more sensitive) radio than its successor, the RT73.

    Mark
    --
    Still no signature, sorry.

+ Reply to Thread