Webcams - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Webcams - Mandriva ; I have recently loaded Mandriva 2007 Sprint onto a new computer. Almost everything I want running. The main exception is the webcam. It is recognised in the hardware detection HARDWARE DEVICES FOUND Identification Vendor: ‎OmniVision Technologies, Inc. Description: ‎OV518 WebCam ...

  1. Webcams

    I have recently loaded Mandriva 2007 Sprint onto a new computer.
    Almost everything I want running. The main exception is the webcam.
    It is recognised in the hardware detection
    HARDWARE DEVICES FOUND
    Identification
    Vendor: ‎OmniVision Technologies, Inc.
    Media class: ‎
    Connection
    Bus: ‎USB Bus PCI #: ‎5 PCI device #: ‎3
    Vendor ID: ‎0x05a9 Device ID: ‎0xa518 Sub vendor ID: ‎0x0000 Sub device
    ID: ‎0x0000

    The driver tries to load on boot, but I get error -17?

    Linux video capture interface: v1.00
    3rdparty/ov511/ov511_core.c: USB OV518+ video device found
    3rdparty/ov511/ov511_core.c: Device revision 0
    usbcore: error -17 registering driver ov511
    3rdparty/ov511/ov511_core.c: Compression required with OV518...enabling
    usbcore: error -17 registering driver ov511
    3rdparty/ov511/ov511_core.c: Device at usb-0000:00:13.0-2 registered to
    minor 0
    usbcore: registered new driver ov511
    3rdparty/ov511/ov511_core.c: v2.32 : ov511 USB Camera Driver (V4L2 disabled)
    usbcore: error -17 registering driver ov511

    I've tried insmod ov511-alt and that produces in the lspci

    ov511_alt 99048 0
    dm_mod 56656 0
    compat_ioctl32 12928 1 ov511_alt
    videodev 13440 1 ov511_alt
    i2c_core 23040 1 ov511_alt
    v4l2_common 20864 2 ov511_alt,compat_ioctl32

    One section seems to say that v4l2 is required and another seems to say that
    v4l2 is disabled.
    I have put 'above ov511-alt' and 'above ovicamchip-alt' in the /etc/module
    file, and that does not seem to have helped.

    Can anyone please throw me a line, as to where to go next

    Malcolm

  2. Re: Webcams

    > Can anyone please throw me a line, as to where to go next
    >
    > Malcolm

    go here

    http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html

  3. Re: Webcams

    ArameFarpado wrote:

    >> Can anyone please throw me a line, as to where to go next
    >>
    >> Malcolm

    > go here
    >
    > http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html

    Have downloaded and installed it. But on reboot it says that it is already
    a part of the kernel build?
    Still cannot access /dev/video0
    No devices found?

    Malcolm

    Malcolm

  4. Re: Webcams

    Em Sábado, 19 de Maio de 2007 15:56, Malcolm Collins escreveu:

    >> http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html

    > Have downloaded and installed it.

    how did you installed it?

    > But on reboot

    reboot for what purpose ?
    we never reboot, unless when we change the kernel core.

    > it says that it is
    > already a part of the kernel build?

    # modinfo gspca
    gives you anything ?

    > Still cannot access /dev/video0
    > No devices found?
    >
    > Malcolm
    >

    > Malcolm

    install the kernel-source package with the same version of the kernel
    running.

    # uname -a

    (to see what kernel version is running)

    unpack the driver to
    /usr/src/webcam/

    # make
    # make install

    # modprobe gspca (or plug you cam in)

  5. Re: Webcams

    ArameFarpado wrote:

    > Em Sábado, 19 de Maio de 2007 15:56, Malcolm Collins escreveu:
    >
    >>> http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html

    >> Have downloaded and installed it.

    > how did you installed it?
    >

    >> But on reboot

    > reboot for what purpose ?
    > we never reboot, unless when we change the kernel core.
    >

    >> it says that it is
    >> already a part of the kernel build?

    > # modinfo gspca
    > gives you anything ?
    >
    >> Still cannot access /dev/video0
    >> No devices found?
    >>
    >> Malcolm
    >>

    >> Malcolm

    > install the kernel-source package with the same version of the kernel
    > running.
    >
    > # uname -a
    >
    > (to see what kernel version is running)
    >

    > unpack the driver to
    > /usr/src/webcam/
    >
    > # make
    > # make install
    >
    > # modprobe gspca (or plug you cam in)

    Lots of output from the modinfo command. So I can see it is installed.
    Have changed the webcam for two logitech ones.
    Lsmod now shows both the ov511 and the gspca.
    Obviously it is the gspca one that is working as none worked before.
    I cannot get the Zoom webcam to work on the ov511, and it still does not
    work with the new driver

    Even just got my DVD running. Very slowly at present but that is probably
    due to the graphics being onboard and slow.

    Now need to see how to set up the Ekiga to work with MSN, then I am totally
    Linux.

    Thank you for the help
    Malcolm Collins

  6. Re: Webcams

    Em Sábado, 19 de Maio de 2007 18:14, Malcolm Collins escreveu:

    > Lots of output from the modinfo command. So I can see it is installed.

    ok then

    > Have changed the webcam for two logitech ones.
    > Lsmod now shows both the ov511 and the gspca.
    > Obviously it is the gspca one that is working as none worked before.
    > I cannot get the Zoom webcam to work on the ov511, and it still does not
    > work with the new driver

    in the site i've told you, there is a list of supported cams, obviosly you
    may have one that is not supported yet.

    > Even just got my DVD running. Very slowly at present but that is probably
    > due to the graphics being onboard and slow.
    >
    > Now need to see how to set up the Ekiga to work with MSN, then I am
    > totally Linux.

    ekiga on msn? ekiga is more like netmeeting...

    have you tried amsn 0.96 ? only sound conversations are not suported yet.

    > Thank you for the help
    > Malcolm Collins

    you're welcome

  7. Re: Webcams

    ArameFarpado wrote:

    > in the site i've told you, there is a list of supported cams, obviosly you
    > may have one that is not supported yet.

    Although my Philips SPC700 is on the list, the cam doesn't work very
    well with Kopete.

    ]-[an.
    = Han Willemsen - =
    = Utrecht - Netherlands =

  8. Re: Webcams

    > Now need to see how to set up the Ekiga to work with MSN, then I am totally
    > Linux.

    =============================
    Would be very interested in how this is done

    Frank

  9. Re: Webcams

    Em Sábado, 19 de Maio de 2007 20:41, Han Willemsen escreveu:

    > ArameFarpado wrote:
    >
    >> in the site i've told you, there is a list of supported cams, obviosly
    >> you may have one that is not supported yet.

    > Although my Philips SPC700 is on the list, the cam doesn't work very
    > well with Kopete.

    Just with kopete ?

    what about camstream, amsn, ekiga, etc?

    might not be a driver fault

  10. Re: Webcams

    ArameFarpado wrote:

    > Just with kopete ?
    >
    > what about camstream, amsn, ekiga, etc?
    >
    > might not be a driver fault

    You are right because Camstream does work.

    ]-[an.
    = Han Willemsen - =
    = Utrecht - Netherlands =

  11. Re: Webcams

    Em Domingo, 20 de Maio de 2007 14:48, Han Willemsen escreveu:

    > ArameFarpado wrote:
    >
    >> Just with kopete ?
    >>
    >> what about camstream, amsn, ekiga, etc?
    >>
    >> might not be a driver fault

    > You are right because Camstream does work.
    >
    > ]-[an.

    i have a feeling tha kopete is not full ready to work with webcams yet, what
    is your kopete version?

  12. Re: Webcams

    ArameFarpado wrote:

    > i have a feeling tha kopete is not full ready to work with webcams yet,
    > what is your kopete version?

    0.12.4

    I looked at the Kopete site and de buglist had a lot of webcam entries.

    ]-[an.
    = Han Willemsen - =
    = Utrecht - Netherlands =

  13. Re: Webcams

    Em Domingo, 20 de Maio de 2007 16:43, Han Willemsen escreveu:

    > ArameFarpado wrote:
    >
    >> i have a feeling tha kopete is not full ready to work with webcams yet,
    >> what is your kopete version?

    > 0.12.4

    same as mine.

    > I looked at the Kopete site and de buglist had a lot of webcam entries.
    >
    > ]-[an.

    yeah, if you want to use your webcam in MSN, i think amsn is your best
    choice for now.

  14. Re: Webcams

    ArameFarpado wrote:

    > yeah, if you want to use your webcam in MSN, i think amsn is your best
    > choice for now.

    Thanks, I will try that.

    ]-[an.
    = Han Willemsen - =