Bizare bahaviour-- suddenly everything wants to use /usr/local - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Bizare bahaviour-- suddenly everything wants to use /usr/local - Mandriva ; My Mandriva 2007.0 system has gone nuts. suddenly everything wants to use /usr/local firefox dies because /usr/local/etc/pango is wrong, and /usr/local/lib/pango is unreadable gcc wants to use /usr/local/include. Anyone have any idea what could be going on here? Thanks....

  1. Bizare bahaviour-- suddenly everything wants to use /usr/local

    My Mandriva 2007.0 system has gone nuts. suddenly everything wants to use
    /usr/local
    firefox dies because /usr/local/etc/pango is wrong, and
    /usr/local/lib/pango is unreadable gcc wants to use /usr/local/include.

    Anyone have any idea what could be going on here?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Bizare bahaviour-- suddenly everything wants to use /usr/local

    On Fri, 18 May 2007 20:11:15 GMT, Unruh wrote:
    > My Mandriva 2007.0 system has gone nuts. suddenly everything wants to use
    > /usr/local
    > firefox dies because /usr/local/etc/pango is wrong, and
    > /usr/local/lib/pango is unreadable gcc wants to use /usr/local/include.
    >
    > Anyone have any idea what could be going on here?

    Assuming some directory/link is not dinked up,
    my SWAG, you have played with ldconfig command or
    something in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*

  3. Re: Bizare bahaviour-- suddenly everything wants to use /usr/local

    Bit Twister writes:

    >On Fri, 18 May 2007 20:11:15 GMT, Unruh wrote:
    >> My Mandriva 2007.0 system has gone nuts. suddenly everything wants to use
    >> /usr/local
    >> firefox dies because /usr/local/etc/pango is wrong, and
    >> /usr/local/lib/pango is unreadable gcc wants to use /usr/local/include.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any idea what could be going on here?

    >Assuming some directory/link is not dinked up,
    >my SWAG, you have played with ldconfig command or
    >something in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*

    But why would that cause gcc to look in /usr/local/include and for firefox
    to look in /usr/local/etc/pango?

  4. Re: Bizare bahaviour-- suddenly everything wants to use /usr/local

    On Fri, 18 May 2007 22:06:42 GMT, Unruh wrote:

    > But why would that cause gcc to look in /usr/local/include and for firefox
    > to look in /usr/local/etc/pango?

    Told you it was a SWAG. I was assuming /etc/ld.so.cache was dinked up.

    During install I create a junk and normal account.
    junk is where I set it like my other accounts and normal is an out of
    the box setup. That allows me to test/isolate where I screw(ed) up.

    To see if this was a system wide problem I would, click up a terminal
    xterm -e ssh normal
    firefox
    and see if the problem was still there. That also helps rule out user desktop
    problems.

  5. Re: Bizare bahaviour-- suddenly everything wants to use /usr/local

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 May 2007 20:11:15 GMT, Unruh wrote:
    >> My Mandriva 2007.0 system has gone nuts. suddenly everything wants to use
    >> /usr/local
    >> firefox dies because /usr/local/etc/pango is wrong, and
    >> /usr/local/lib/pango is unreadable gcc wants to use /usr/local/include.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any idea what could be going on here?

    > Assuming some directory/link is not dinked up,
    > my SWAG, you have played with ldconfig command or
    > something in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*

    or in /etc/ld.so.conf

    For the OP, do

    ldconfig -p

    and it will show you which libraries are being used, if that's full of
    "local" then you've probably found your problem.

    ldconfig -v

    will show you what's being hooked up and in which order.

    Other possibilities are a change in your path

    echo $PATH

    or some other symbol

    set | grep -i local

    Regards,

    David Mathog

  6. Re: Bizare bahaviour-- suddenly everything wants to use /usr/local

    On Fri, 18 May 2007 15:49:03 -0700, David Mathog wrote:

    > or in /etc/ld.so.conf

    Yes, but I would not put odds there. Then again, Unruh mentioned gcc so
    we might guess a Makefile put him in the ditch. :-/

  7. Re: Bizare bahaviour-- suddenly everything wants to use /usr/local

    Bit Twister writes:

    >On Fri, 18 May 2007 22:06:42 GMT, Unruh wrote:
    >>
    >> But why would that cause gcc to look in /usr/local/include and for firefox
    >> to look in /usr/local/etc/pango?

    >Told you it was a SWAG. I was assuming /etc/ld.so.cache was dinked up.

    >During install I create a junk and normal account.
    >junk is where I set it like my other accounts and normal is an out of
    >the box setup. That allows me to test/isolate where I screw(ed) up.

    >To see if this was a system wide problem I would, click up a terminal
    > xterm -e ssh normal
    > firefox
    >and see if the problem was still there. That also helps rule out user desktop
    >problems.

    The first evidence was another user on another computer. /usr/local is a
    system wide directory nfs mounted. He found that firefox did not work. When
    I opened firefox on a terminal, I got the message that
    /usr/local/etc/pango/pango.aliases was invalid and firefor crashed ( seg
    fault) I thought it was a problem with his system. Then I suddenly had
    gnome-terminal have all of its menu items come out as little boxes on my
    system. I shut down X and restarted it. Now not only did gnome-terminal
    still have that problem, but now my firefox came up with the pango problem.
    Another user on anothr computer with the same cross mounted /usr/local also
    started to state that /usr/local/include files were missing.
    Ie, everything seemed to suddenly become bad.
    /usr/local/ seems to have a bunch of stuff in it that should not be there.
    lib files, etc. I have no idea what happened.

    The systems had LD_LIBRARY_PATH with /usr/local/lib in it for most users.
    So the best I can guess is that somehow bad libraries got installed and it
    then decided that since it was using /usr/local/lib, then it should use
    /usr/local/etc/ and /usr/local/include should be used.
    Actually looking at backups, /usr/local/lib does not seem to have changed.

    By the way, what is SWAG?

    Totally weird.

  8. Re: Bizare bahaviour-- suddenly everything wants to use /usr/local

    On Sat, 19 May 2007 04:12:45 +0000, Bill Unruh writ:

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`ˇ..ˇ¯`ˇ-> freemontŠ <-ˇ¯`ˇ..ˇ¯

  9. Re: Bizare bahaviour-- suddenly everything wants to use /usr/local

    On Sat, 19 May 2007 04:12:45 GMT, Bill Unruh wrote:

    > The systems had LD_LIBRARY_PATH with /usr/local/lib in it for most users.

    What release are you running. I thought LD_LIBRARY_PATH went away
    before release 2006.

    > By the way, what is SWAG?

    Anytime you are interested in a term there is
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...m_or_word_here

    Selection 2 in the swag case.

  10. Re: Bizare bahaviour-- suddenly everything wants to use /usr/local

    Bit Twister writes:

    >On Sat, 19 May 2007 04:12:45 GMT, Bill Unruh wrote:
    >>
    >> The systems had LD_LIBRARY_PATH with /usr/local/lib in it for most users.

    >What release are you running. I thought LD_LIBRARY_PATH went away
    >before release 2006.

    2007.0
    If it went away, I have not noticed. It is in fact useful when a program
    needs a special library which is not to be made available to all program.

    And man ld.so still lists it as the first things searched.

    >> By the way, what is SWAG?

    >Anytime you are interested in a term there is
    >http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...m_or_word_here

    >Selection 2 in the swag case.

  11. Re: Bizare bahaviour-- suddenly everything wants to use /usr/local

    On 2007-05-19, Bill Unruh wrote:
    > By the way, what is SWAG?

    JFGI

    Lordy

  12. Re: Bizare bahaviour-- suddenly everything wants to use /usr/local

    On Sat, 19 May 2007 15:09:36 GMT, Unruh wrote:
    > Bit Twister writes:
    >
    >>What release are you running. I thought LD_LIBRARY_PATH went away
    >>before release 2006.

    > 2007.0
    > If it went away, I have not noticed.

    It is not set on clean installs.

    Same thing with MANPATH

    > It is in fact useful when a program
    > needs a special library which is not to be made available to all program.

    Cannot argue there. Used it a few times myself.

    > And man ld.so still lists it as the first things searched.

    That is a nice feature for a cracker. :-(

    LD_LIBRARY_PATH becomes less of a application mantenance headache when
    the app's rpm can maintain it's own lib/ stuff.

    $ ls -1 /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*
    /etc/ld.so.conf.d/GL.conf
    /etc/ld.so.conf.d/graphviz.conf
    /etc/ld.so.conf.d/qt4.conf