I don't have a lot of experience with wireless networking, and the
correct answer to my question here may very well be, "it isn't going to
work." Nevertheless, here is the sitch.

I have an older P4 box that I want to relegate to a headless file server
on my home LAN. Thing is, it's going to have to connect wirelessly. I've
got a Linksys WRT54G router that is currently serving network to 2
desktops and a laptop. Everything in this existing network runs just fine.

This machine was wired to the router mentioned above. I have now
replaced the original NIC with a Linksys WMP54g wireless card. I did a
bit of research before buying the card and found that it worked under
Mandriva 2005 with ndiswrapper (using the Ralink Rt61 driver on the
card's install CD). I got ndiswrapper installed and after a little
fussing and a couple of reboots, the card is installed, burns a green
connect light and generally appears okay.

I have it configured with a static IP and WEP (I have cards in some
older machines that don't do WPA). I tried connecting with WPA and with
the router wide open. They were both no-go as well. I have stopped
iptables on the machine, there is no other firewall on the machine, and
the firewall in the router is disabled.

At this point, Mandriva 2007 sees the card, the card sees the ESSID of
my net and the one down the street, and shows that it is connected to my
network. Unfortunately, it won't actually connect to anything. I can't
ping anything on the network, first and foremost, the router itself. It
fails everything with a host unreachable error. Here is a traceroute to
that router:

# traceroute 192.168.1.1
traceroute to 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
1 192.168.1.107 (192.168.1.107) 3002.149 ms !H 3003.971 ms !H 3003.936 ms !H

The card seems to configure just fine. A look at ifconfig appears to be
normal with respect to configuration.

A look at iwconfig yields this:

# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"adamslan" Nickname:"adamsmdk"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power:20 dBm Sensitivity=-121 dBm
RTS thr=2347 B Fragment thr=2346 B
Encryption key:xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xx Security mode:restricted
Power Managementff
Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-41 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm

The only thing I saw in the logs was a reference in dmesg to a failure
to set the encryption key. I checked the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 (or whatever it's called)
script and everything looks okay. Further Googling for the error
indicated that it might be a bug, but it seems like that would not be a
factor when trying to connect without encryption.

Here is an excerpt from dmesg:

ndiswrapper version 1.21 loaded (preempt=no,smp=yes)
ndiswrapper: driver rt61 (Linksys, A Division of Cisco Systems,
Inc.,10/18/2005, 1.00.03.0000) loaded
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:0a.0[A] -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 20
ndiswrapper: using irq 20
wlan0: vendor: 'Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter'
wlan0: ndiswrapper ethernet device 00:18:f8:a3:f4:02 using serialized
driver rt61, 1814:0301:1737:0055.5.conf
wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK;
AES/CCMP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK
ndiswrapper: device wlan0 removed
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:02:0a.0 disabled
ndiswrapper version 1.21 loaded (preempt=no,smp=yes)
ndiswrapper: driver rt61 (Linksys, A Division of Cisco Systems,
Inc.,10/18/2005, 1.00.03.0000) loaded
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:0a.0[A] -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 20
ndiswrapper: using irq 20
wlan0: vendor: 'Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter'
wlan0: ndiswrapper ethernet device 00:18:f8:a3:f4:02 using serialized
driver rt61, 1814:0301:1737:0055.5.conf
wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK;
AES/CCMP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK
ndiswrapper (add_wep_key:816): adding encryption key 1 failed (C0010015)

What am I missing here?

Thanks.

P.S. It also looks as if my news server is playing games, so this may be
a dupe. Sorry.
--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

I think that's easier to read. Pardon me. Less difficult to read.
-- Larry Wall in <199710120226.TAA06867@wall.org>