Linksys WMP54g installed, but not connecting - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Linksys WMP54g installed, but not connecting - Mandriva ; I don't have a lot of experience with wireless networking, and the correct answer to my question here may very well be, "it isn't going to work." Nevertheless, here is the sitch. I have an older P4 box that I ...

  1. Linksys WMP54g installed, but not connecting

    I don't have a lot of experience with wireless networking, and the
    correct answer to my question here may very well be, "it isn't going to
    work." Nevertheless, here is the sitch.

    I have an older P4 box that I want to relegate to a headless file server
    on my home LAN. Thing is, it's going to have to connect wirelessly. I've
    got a Linksys WRT54G router that is currently serving network to 2
    desktops and a laptop. Everything in this existing network runs just fine.

    This machine was wired to the router mentioned above. I have now
    replaced the original NIC with a Linksys WMP54g wireless card. I did a
    bit of research before buying the card and found that it worked under
    Mandriva 2005 with ndiswrapper (using the Ralink Rt61 driver on the
    card's install CD). I got ndiswrapper installed and after a little
    fussing and a couple of reboots, the card is installed, burns a green
    connect light and generally appears okay.

    I have it configured with a static IP and WEP (I have cards in some
    older machines that don't do WPA). I tried connecting with WPA and with
    the router wide open. They were both no-go as well. I have stopped
    iptables on the machine, there is no other firewall on the machine, and
    the firewall in the router is disabled.

    At this point, Mandriva 2007 sees the card, the card sees the ESSID of
    my net and the one down the street, and shows that it is connected to my
    network. Unfortunately, it won't actually connect to anything. I can't
    ping anything on the network, first and foremost, the router itself. It
    fails everything with a host unreachable error. Here is a traceroute to
    that router:

    # traceroute 192.168.1.1
    traceroute to 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
    1 192.168.1.107 (192.168.1.107) 3002.149 ms !H 3003.971 ms !H 3003.936 ms !H

    The card seems to configure just fine. A look at ifconfig appears to be
    normal with respect to configuration.

    A look at iwconfig yields this:

    # iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

    wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"adamslan" Nickname:"adamsmdk"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power:20 dBm Sensitivity=-121 dBm
    RTS thr=2347 B Fragment thr=2346 B
    Encryption key:xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xx Security mode:restricted
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-41 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm

    The only thing I saw in the logs was a reference in dmesg to a failure
    to set the encryption key. I checked the
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 (or whatever it's called)
    script and everything looks okay. Further Googling for the error
    indicated that it might be a bug, but it seems like that would not be a
    factor when trying to connect without encryption.

    Here is an excerpt from dmesg:

    ndiswrapper version 1.21 loaded (preempt=no,smp=yes)
    ndiswrapper: driver rt61 (Linksys, A Division of Cisco Systems,
    Inc.,10/18/2005, 1.00.03.0000) loaded
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:0a.0[A] -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 20
    ndiswrapper: using irq 20
    wlan0: vendor: 'Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter'
    wlan0: ndiswrapper ethernet device 00:18:f8:a3:f4:02 using serialized
    driver rt61, 1814:0301:1737:0055.5.conf
    wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK;
    AES/CCMP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK
    ndiswrapper: device wlan0 removed
    ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:02:0a.0 disabled
    ndiswrapper version 1.21 loaded (preempt=no,smp=yes)
    ndiswrapper: driver rt61 (Linksys, A Division of Cisco Systems,
    Inc.,10/18/2005, 1.00.03.0000) loaded
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:0a.0[A] -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 20
    ndiswrapper: using irq 20
    wlan0: vendor: 'Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter'
    wlan0: ndiswrapper ethernet device 00:18:f8:a3:f4:02 using serialized
    driver rt61, 1814:0301:1737:0055.5.conf
    wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK;
    AES/CCMP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK
    ndiswrapper (add_wep_key:816): adding encryption key 1 failed (C0010015)

    What am I missing here?

    Thanks.

    P.S. It also looks as if my news server is playing games, so this may be
    a dupe. Sorry.
    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    Don't wake me up too soon...
    Gonna take a ride across the moon...
    You and me.

  2. Re: Linksys WMP54g installed, but not connecting

    On 2007-05-17, Mark Adams wrote:

    > P.S. It also looks as if my news server is playing games, so this may be
    > a dupe. Sorry.

    Yup

  3. Re: Linksys WMP54g installed, but not connecting

    A driver for the rt61 module is available from the ralink site. It can be
    compiled and works without ndiswrapper as it runs natively. MDK2007.1 even
    has the driver available in the distro, however you need to download the
    firmware from the ralink site on a machine connected to the web.

    Before using the firmware you really do need to use the dos2unix command on
    the file. Once done you can use the GUI in mcc or vi to edit the required
    files.

    I'm just installing some Edimax cards here in my attic machines and they all
    use the same rt61 module and wouldn't work until the firmware was correctly
    converted.

    I'm just about to copy it from another machine to here so I can reboot and
    finish the 2007.1 Install on this PC. It's worked on two others already.
    You may need to copy a few other files across from the archive from the
    ralink site too.

    Andrew Ed

+ Reply to Thread