Linksys WMP54G installed, but can't connect. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Linksys WMP54G installed, but can't connect. - Mandriva ; I don't have a lot of experience with wireless networking, and the correct answer to my question here may very well be, "it isn't going to work." Nevertheless, here is the sitch. I have an older P4 box that I ...

  1. Linksys WMP54G installed, but can't connect.

    I don't have a lot of experience with wireless networking, and the
    correct answer to my question here may very well be, "it isn't going to
    work." Nevertheless, here is the sitch.

    I have an older P4 box that I want to relegate to a headless file server
    on my home LAN. Thing is, it's going to have to connect wirelessly. I've
    got a Linksys WRT54G router that is currently serving network to 2
    desktops and a laptop. Everything in this existing network runs just fine.

    This machine was wired to the router mentioned above. I have now
    replaced the original NIC with a Linksys WMP54g wireless card. I did a
    bit of research before buying the card and found that it worked under
    Mandriva 2005 with ndiswrapper (using the Ralink Rt61 driver on the
    card's install CD). I got ndiswrapper installed and after a little
    fussing and a couple of reboots, the card is installed, burns a green
    connect light and generally appears okay.

    I have it configured with a static IP and WEP (I have cards in some
    older machines that don't do WPA). I tried connecting with WPA and with
    the router wide open. They were both no-go as well. I have stopped
    iptables on the machine, there is no other firewall on the machine, and
    the firewall in the router is disabled.

    At this point, Mandriva 2007 sees the card and shows it connected to my
    network. Unfortunately, it won't actually connect to anything. I can't
    ping anything on the network, first and foremost, the router itself. It
    fails everything with a host unreachable error. Here is a traceroute to
    that router:

    # traceroute 192.168.1.1
    traceroute to 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
    1 192.168.1.107 (192.168.1.107) 3002.149 ms !H 3003.971 ms !H 3003.936 ms !H

    The card seems to configure just fine. A look at ifconfig appears to be
    normal with respect to configuration.

    A look at iwconfig yields this:

    # iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

    wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"adamslan" Nickname:"adamsmdk"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power:20 dBm Sensitivity=-121 dBm
    RTS thr=2347 B Fragment thr=2346 B
    Encryption key:xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xx Security mode:restricted
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-41 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm

    The only thing I saw in the logs was a reference in dmesg to a failure
    to set the encryption key. I checked the
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 (or whatever it's called)
    script and everything looks okay. Further Googling for the error
    indicated that it might be a bug, but it seems like that would not be a
    factor when trying to connect without encryption.

    What am I missing here?

    Thanks.

    Mark
    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    A computer scientist is someone who fixes things that aren't broken.

  2. Re: Linksys WMP54G installed, but can't connect.

    On 2007-05-17, Mark Adams wrote:
    > I have it configured with a static IP and WEP (I have cards in some
    > older machines that don't do WPA). I tried connecting with WPA and with
    > the router wide open. They were both no-go as well. I have stopped
    > iptables on the machine, there is no other firewall on the machine, and
    > the firewall in the router is disabled.

    [SNIP]
    > A look at iwconfig yields this:
    >
    > # iwconfig
    > lo no wireless extensions.
    >
    > wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"adamslan" Nickname:"adamsmdk"
    > Encryption key:xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xx Security mode:restricted
    >
    > The only thing I saw in the logs was a reference in dmesg to a failure
    > to set the encryption key. I checked the
    > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 (or whatever it's called)
    > script and everything looks okay. Further Googling for the error
    > indicated that it might be a bug, but it seems like that would not be a
    > factor when trying to connect without encryption.
    >
    > What am I missing here?

    Hi Mark,
    I'm a little confused as to whether you are using WEP or not.
    My suspicion is when you set the router wide open that Mandriva still
    had WEP configuration.

    Also your security mode says 'restricted' but 'open WEP' usually works better
    than 'restricted WEP'.

    Anyway,
    Re-configure the network to be 'Encryption Mode None' in Mandriva and
    disable WEP on the router and try again. Report back with your iwconfig
    and dmesg again.
    Also try DHCP to start with (just to remove possibility of a typo in
    static definition).

    Cheers,
    Lordy

    > Thanks.
    >
    > Mark
    > --
    > Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    > http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042
    >
    > CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    > A computer scientist is someone who fixes things that aren't broken.

  3. Re: Linksys WMP54G installed, but can't connect.

    On Thu, 17 May 2007 16:17:46 -0600, Mark Adams wrote:

    > snip

    > What am I missing here?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Mark
    > --
    > Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    > http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042
    >
    > CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . . A
    > computer scientist is someone who fixes things that aren't broken.

    One problem that I've had when everything else seemed normal was a
    problem with the route. What does this yield?

    # route

    I've seen something like this when the default route was missing.

    HTH
    --
    Registered Linux User #: 222896
    Larry W. Hatcher

  4. Re: Linksys WMP54G installed, but can't connect.

    On 2007-05-17, Mark Adams wrote:
    > I don't have a lot of experience with wireless networking, and the
    > correct answer to my question here may very well be, "it isn't going to
    > work." Nevertheless, here is the sitch.
    >
    > I have an older P4 box that I want to relegate to a headless file server
    > on my home LAN. Thing is, it's going to have to connect wirelessly. I've
    > got a Linksys WRT54G router that is currently serving network to 2
    > desktops and a laptop. Everything in this existing network runs just fine.

    [...]

    Have you checked whether or not the MAC number for the new wireless card
    is corretly listed in the 'MAC filter' on the router?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  5. Re: Linksys WMP54G installed, but can't connect.

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2007-05-17, Mark Adams wrote:
    >> I don't have a lot of experience with wireless networking, and the
    >> correct answer to my question here may very well be, "it isn't going to
    >> work." Nevertheless, here is the sitch.
    >>
    >> I have an older P4 box that I want to relegate to a headless file server
    >> on my home LAN. Thing is, it's going to have to connect wirelessly. I've
    >> got a Linksys WRT54G router that is currently serving network to 2
    >> desktops and a laptop. Everything in this existing network runs just fine.

    > [...]
    >
    > Have you checked whether or not the MAC number for the new wireless card
    > is corretly listed in the 'MAC filter' on the router?

    MAC filtering is disabled. I've stripped it down to the point where
    there is as little as possible going on in the router -- no firewall, no
    WEP, no nada.

    I'm about to dive into it again and look at my options.

    Option 1 is to upgrade this box to 2007.1 and see if it includes a
    native driver for this card. If that fails...

    Option 2 is to swap this card for the Xterasys card in my son's Windows
    machine. I've got a linux driver for that card and it *might* work better.

    Option 3, I guess, would be to go back to the drawing board and see if I
    can't find a compatible card.

    I'll get back on this after I have churned it a bit more.

    Thanks.

    Mark
    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    He who has a shady past knows that nice guys finish last.

  6. Re: Linksys WMP54G installed, but can't connect.

    Mark Adams writes:

    >I don't have a lot of experience with wireless networking, and the
    >correct answer to my question here may very well be, "it isn't going to
    >work." Nevertheless, here is the sitch.

    >I have an older P4 box that I want to relegate to a headless file server
    >on my home LAN. Thing is, it's going to have to connect wirelessly. I've
    >got a Linksys WRT54G router that is currently serving network to 2
    >desktops and a laptop. Everything in this existing network runs just fine.

    OK.

    >This machine was wired to the router mentioned above. I have now
    >replaced the original NIC with a Linksys WMP54g wireless card. I did a

    Why did you do that? A wired conection will always be faster than a
    wireless one. And to make the server the wireless one seems particularly
    ill advised.
    Also it seems that you want to use that wireless card on the server as
    master is that right? Or is there some wireless access point you are using?

    >bit of research before buying the card and found that it worked under
    >Mandriva 2005 with ndiswrapper (using the Ralink Rt61 driver on the
    >card's install CD). I got ndiswrapper installed and after a little
    >fussing and a couple of reboots, the card is installed, burns a green
    >connect light and generally appears okay.

    I am not sue that ndiswrapper supports Master mode.

    >I have it configured with a static IP and WEP (I have cards in some
    >older machines that don't do WPA). I tried connecting with WPA and with
    >the router wide open. They were both no-go as well. I have stopped
    >iptables on the machine, there is no other firewall on the machine, and
    >the firewall in the router is disabled.

    When something does not work, DO NOT ENABLE ENCRYPTION. Solve one problem
    at a time. You will never know if it is the encryption or the wireless that
    tis the problem.

    >At this point, Mandriva 2007 sees the card and shows it connected to my
    >network. Unfortunately, it won't actually connect to anything. I can't
    >ping anything on the network, first and foremost, the router itself. It
    >fails everything with a host unreachable error. Here is a traceroute to
    >that router:

    route -n
    ifconfig wlan0

    are two crucial debugging tools.

    ># traceroute 192.168.1.1
    >traceroute to 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
    >1 192.168.1.107 (192.168.1.107) 3002.149 ms !H 3003.971 ms !H 3003.936 ms !H

    Exactly what is 192.168.1.107?
    And why did the output end there?
    And what is 192.168.1.1?

    >The card seems to configure just fine. A look at ifconfig appears to be
    >normal with respect to configuration.

    And you neglected to post the output of ifconfig why? Since you have no
    idea what is wrong, why do you believe you can determine if "ifconfig
    appears to be normal"?

    >A look at iwconfig yields this:

    ># iwconfig
    >lo no wireless extensions.

    >wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"adamslan" Nickname:"adamsmdk"
    >Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

    OK, it is managed so there is another access point. Is that right? What is
    it? How is it set up?

    >Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power:20 dBm Sensitivity=-121 dBm
    >RTS thr=2347 B Fragment thr=2346 B
    >Encryption key:xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xx Security mode:restricted
    >Power Managementff
    >Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-41 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm
    >Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    >Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

    >The only thing I saw in the logs was a reference in dmesg to a failure
    >to set the encryption key. I checked the

    Well, that would do it, wouldn't it.

    >/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 (or whatever it's called)
    >script and everything looks okay. Further Googling for the error
    >indicated that it might be a bug, but it seems like that would not be a
    >factor when trying to connect without encryption.

    If it comes up when you are trying to connect without encryption, then
    something is wrong.

    >What am I missing here?

    >Thanks.

    >Mark
    >--
    >Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    >http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    >CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    >A computer scientist is someone who fixes things that aren't broken.

    >--

  7. Re: Linksys WMP54G installed, but can't connect.

    On May 18, 9:31 am, Unruh wrote:
    > MarkAdams writes:
    > >I don't have a lot of experience with wireless networking, and the
    > >correct answer to my question here may very well be, "it isn't going to
    > >work." Nevertheless, here is the sitch.
    > >I have an older P4 box that I want to relegate to a headless file server
    > >on my home LAN. Thing is, it's going to have to connect wirelessly. I've
    > >got aLinksysWRT54G router that is currently serving network to 2
    > >desktops and a laptop. Everything in this existing network runs just fine.

    > OK.
    >
    > >This machine was wired to the router mentioned above. I have now
    > >replaced the original NIC with aLinksysWMP54g wireless card. I did a

    > Why did you do that? A wired conection will always be faster than a
    > wireless one. And to make the server the wireless one seems particularly
    > ill advised.

    Hey Unruh, free.teranews.com has decided to crap out on me and I'm
    having to resort to Google groups for all this.

    I recognize the downside to the wifi, but this is going to be a backup
    server that will have to live in a closet in my bedroom more than 50
    feet down the hall. I'm not going to run cable for that. It can be a
    slow connection, as long as it makes the backups in the wee hours.

    > Also it seems that you want to use that wireless card on the server as
    > master is that right? Or is there some wireless access point you are using?

    I'm connecting in Managed mode. The WAP is the Linksys WRT54G here on
    my hutch. my daughter's desktop is in her room on the other side of
    the house about the same distance (and penetrating the same number of
    walls) as the backup server would be. It is connected to the router
    just fine.

    > >bit of research before buying the card and found that it worked under
    > >Mandriva2005 with ndiswrapper (using the Ralink Rt61 driver on the
    > >card's install CD). I got ndiswrapper installed and after a little
    > >fussing and a couple of reboots, the card is installed, burns a green
    > >connect light and generally appears okay.

    > I am not sue that ndiswrapper supports Master mode.
    >
    > >I have it configured with a static IP and WEP (I have cards in some
    > >older machines that don't do WPA). I tried connecting with WPA and with
    > >the router wide open. They were both no-go as well. I have stopped
    > >iptables on the machine, there is no other firewall on the machine, and
    > >the firewall in the router is disabled.

    > When something does not work, DO NOT ENABLE ENCRYPTION. Solve one problem
    > at a time. You will never know if it is the encryption or the wireless that
    > tis the problem.

    And hence the kinkiness -- disabling encryption hasn't made any
    difference. The ifcfg-wlan0 script reflects changes I am making in
    the gui, so I am lead to believe that I am actually disabling
    encryption when I set it up without encryption.

    > >At this point,Mandriva2007sees the card and shows it connected to my
    > >network. Unfortunately, it won't actually connect to anything. I can't
    > >ping anything on the network, first and foremost, the router itself. It
    > >fails everything with a host unreachable error. Here is a traceroute to
    > >that router:

    > route -n
    > ifconfig wlan0
    >
    > are two crucial debugging tools.
    >
    > ># traceroute 192.168.1.1
    > >traceroute to 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
    > >1 192.168.1.107 (192.168.1.107) 3002.149 ms !H 3003.971 ms !H 3003.936 ms !H

    > Exactly what is 192.168.1.107?

    It was the static IP of this box. I have since changed it to
    192.168.1.100 just to see if it made any difference (it was .100 when
    it was wired to the router). It made no dif.

    > And why did the output end there?

    I assume because the host is unreachable ("!H")

    > And what is 192.168.1.1?

    The IP of the Linksys WRT54G router that I'm trying to connect to.

    > >The card seems to configure just fine. A look at ifconfig appears to be
    > >normal with respect to configuration.

    > And you neglected to post the output of ifconfig why? Since you have no
    > idea what is wrong, why do you believe you can determine if "ifconfig
    > appears to be normal"?

    Are you requesting that I post it? :-)

    > >A look at iwconfig yields this:
    > ># iwconfig
    > >lo no wireless extensions.
    > >wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"adamslan" Nickname:"adamsmdk"
    > >Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

    > OK, it is managed so there is another access point. Is that right? What is
    > it? How is it set up?
    >
    > >Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power:20 dBm Sensitivity=-121 dBm
    > >RTS thr=2347 B Fragment thr=2346 B
    > >Encryption key:xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xx Security mode:restricted
    > >Power Managementff
    > >Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-41 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm
    > >Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    > >Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
    > >The only thing I saw in the logs was a reference in dmesg to a failure
    > >to set the encryption key. I checked the

    > Well, that would do it, wouldn't it.

    I've noticed that this log entry shows up even when encryption is
    disabled on the card and the router. Frankly, I'm not sure when or
    under what conditions this capture from iwconfig was taken, but I own
    the box and I'll be diving into it shortly.

    > >/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 (or whatever it's called)
    > >script and everything looks okay. Further Googling for the error
    > >indicated that it might be a bug, but it seems like that would not be a
    > >factor when trying to connect without encryption.

    > If it comes up when you are trying to connect without encryption, then
    > something is wrong.

    No kidding.

    Thanks for the attention Unruh.

    Mark

  8. Re: Linksys WMP54G installed, but can't connect.

    Here's some collected info that might (or might not) help. It was
    taken this morning with encryption disabled.

    # cat ifcfg-wlan0
    DEVICE=wlan0
    BOOTPROTO=static
    IPADDR=192.168.1.100
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
    ONBOOT=yes
    METRIC=35
    MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
    USERCTL=no
    MS_DNS1=205.171.2.65
    MS_DNS2=205.171.3.65
    RESOLV_MODS=yes
    WIRELESS_MODE=Auto
    WIRELESS_ESSID=adamslan
    IPV6INIT=no
    IPV6TO4INIT=no

    # route -n
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref
    Use Iface
    192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 35 0
    0 wlan0
    169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 35 0
    0 wlan0
    127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0
    0 lo
    0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 35 0
    0 wlan0

    # iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

    wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"adamslan" Nickname:"adamsmdk"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point:
    00:13:10:90:AF:CB
    Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power:20 dBm Sensitivity=-121 dBm
    RTS thr=2347 B Fragment thr=2346 B
    Encryption keyff
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-39 dBm Noise level:-256
    dBm

    # ifconfig
    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:17353 (16.9 KiB) TX bytes:17353 (16.9 KiB)

    wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:F8:A3:F4:02
    inet addr:192.168.1.100 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:
    255.255.255.0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:10268 (10.0 KiB) TX bytes:14706 (14.3 KiB)
    Interrupt:20 Memory:ff9f8000-ffa00000

    # ping 192.168.1.1
    >From 192.168.1.100 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
    >From 192.168.1.100 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
    >From 192.168.1.100 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable
    >From 192.168.1.100 icmp_seq=4 Destination Host Unreachable
    >From 192.168.1.100 icmp_seq=5 Destination Host Unreachable

    --- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
    5 packets transmitted, 0 received, +5 errors, 100% packet loss, time
    4009ms
    , pipe 3

    >From dmesg on boot:

    ndiswrapper version 1.21 loaded (preempt=no,smp=yes)
    ndiswrapper: driver rt61 (Linksys, A Division of Cisco Systems, Inc.,
    10/18/2005, 1.00.03.0000) loaded
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:0a.0[A] -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 20
    ndiswrapper: using irq 20
    wlan0: vendor: 'Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter'
    wlan0: ndiswrapper ethernet device 00:18:f8:a3:f4:02 using serialized
    driver rt61, 1814:0301:1737:0055.5.conf
    wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK;
    AES/CCMP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK

  9. Re: Linksys WMP54G installed, but can't connect.

    route -n
    says what?
    ifconfig
    says what?

    iwlist s
    says what?

    Yes, pls post them.

    mark9117@gmail.com writes:

> [...]

    >> >Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    >> >Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
    >> >The only thing I saw in the logs was a reference in dmesg to a failure
    >> >to set the encryption key. I checked the

    >> Well, that would do it, wouldn't it.

    >I've noticed that this log entry shows up even when encryption is
    >disabled on the card and the router. Frankly, I'm not sure when or
    >under what conditions this capture from iwconfig was taken, but I own
    >the box and I'll be diving into it shortly.

    >> >/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 (or whatever it's called)
    >> >script and everything looks okay. Further Googling for the error
    >> >indicated that it might be a bug, but it seems like that would not be a
    >> >factor when trying to connect without encryption.

    >> If it comes up when you are trying to connect without encryption, then

  10. Re: Linksys WMP54G installed, but can't connect.

    OK, I also do not see anything suspicious.

    mark9117@gmail.com writes:

    >Here's some collected info that might (or might not) help. It was
    >taken this morning with encryption disabled.

    ># cat ifcfg-wlan0
    >DEVICE=wlan0
    >BOOTPROTO=static
    >IPADDR=192.168.1.100
    >NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    >GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
    >ONBOOT=yes
    >METRIC=35
    >MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
    >USERCTL=no

    Get rid of the rest of this file (except the IPV6 lines.)

    >MS_DNS1=205.171.2.65
    >MS_DNS2=205.171.3.65
    >RESOLV_MODS=yes
    >WIRELESS_MODE=Auto
    >WIRELESS_ESSID=adamslan
    >IPV6INIT=no
    >IPV6TO4INIT=no

    ># route -n
    >Kernel IP routing table
    >Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref
    >Use Iface
    >192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 35 0
    >0 wlan0
    >169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 35 0
    >0 wlan0
    >127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0
    >0 lo
    >0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 35 0
    >0 wlan0

    ># iwconfig
    >lo no wireless extensions.

    >wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"adamslan" Nickname:"adamsmdk"
    > Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point:
    >00:13:10:90:AF:CB
    > Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power:20 dBm Sensitivity=-121 dBm
    > RTS thr=2347 B Fragment thr=2346 B
    > Encryption keyff
    > Power Managementff
    > Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-39 dBm Noise level:-256
    >dBm
    > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

    ># ifconfig
    >lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    > inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    > UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    > RX bytes:17353 (16.9 KiB) TX bytes:17353 (16.9 KiB)

    >wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:F8:A3:F4:02
    > inet addr:192.168.1.100 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:
    >255.255.255.0
    > UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    > RX bytes:10268 (10.0 KiB) TX bytes:14706 (14.3 KiB)
    > Interrupt:20 Memory:ff9f8000-ffa00000

    ># ping 192.168.1.1
    >PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
    >>From 192.168.1.100 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
    >>From 192.168.1.100 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
    >>From 192.168.1.100 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable
    >>From 192.168.1.100 icmp_seq=4 Destination Host Unreachable
    >>From 192.168.1.100 icmp_seq=5 Destination Host Unreachable

    OK, this is bizare, since that is the message if the routing table says
    that there is no route to the host. But your routing table looks OK to me.

    >--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
    >5 packets transmitted, 0 received, +5 errors, 100% packet loss, time
    >4009ms
    >, pipe 3

    >>From dmesg on boot:

    >ndiswrapper version 1.21 loaded (preempt=no,smp=yes)
    >ndiswrapper: driver rt61 (Linksys, A Division of Cisco Systems, Inc.,
    >10/18/2005, 1.00.03.0000) loaded
    >ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:0a.0[A] -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 20
    >ndiswrapper: using irq 20
    >wlan0: vendor: 'Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter'
    >wlan0: ndiswrapper ethernet device 00:18:f8:a3:f4:02 using serialized
    >driver rt61, 1814:0301:1737:0055.5.conf
    >wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK;
    >AES/CCMP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK

  11. Re: Linksys WMP54G installed, but can't connect.

    Thanks for the attention to this Unruh, but I bailed this morning.

    I completed a fresh install of Mandriva 2007.1 after being advised
    that 2007.1 included a native Rt61 driver. The installation went
    smoothly, but now the card doesn't seem to be working at all. I get
    no light at all on the card and when I attempt to start the connection
    after configuring the card, the machine locks up.

    And my news server is still not feeding me any new news. Anybody got
    a free NNTP server out there?

    Thanks.

    Mark

  12. Re: Linksys WMP54G installed, but can't connect.

    On 18 May 2007 15:43:07 -0700, madams9@gmail.com wrote:

    > And my news server is still not feeding me any new news. Anybody got
    > a free NNTP server out there?

    Posting from Google.com, and not using
    what are the odds?

  13. Re: Linksys WMP54G installed, but can't connect.

    On May 18, 4:52 pm, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On 18 May 2007 15:43:07 -0700, mada...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > And my news server is still not feeding me any new news. Anybody got
    > > a free NNTP server out there?

    > Posting from Google.com, and not using
    > http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
    > what are the odds?

    And your point?

    I use advanced search when I know just what I'm looking for and where
    to look for it. Most of the time, I get better results with a broader
    search.

    BTW, thanks largely to Google, I was able to get the card working just
    fine. I had to install my old NIC and update a bunch of packages,
    then download a Mandriva rpm of the firmware package for the WMP54g.
    After swapping the cards again the card fired right up and configured
    as expected.

    I really wish Mandriva could get all the goods necessary to get this
    card working in the distro on the disc. I'd have been up a creek if I
    hadn't been able to wire it up and access all those packages.

    Thanks for the, um, help.

    Mark

  14. Re: Linksys WMP54G installed, but can't connect.

    On 19 May 2007 07:19:25 -0700, madams9@gmail.com wrote:
    > On May 18, 4:52 pm, Bit Twister wrote:
    >> On 18 May 2007 15:43:07 -0700, mada...@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >> > And my news server is still not feeding me any new news. Anybody got
    >> > a free NNTP server out there?

    >> Posting from Google.com, and not using
    >> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
    >> what are the odds?

    > And your point?

    Then you should have seen something like

    Search Results 1-10 of about 1,540,000 for free usenet server

  15. Re: Linksys WMP54G installed, but can't connect.

    "madams9@gmail.com" writes:

    >On May 18, 4:52 pm, Bit Twister wrote:
    >> On 18 May 2007 15:43:07 -0700, mada...@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >> > And my news server is still not feeding me any new news. Anybody got
    >> > a free NNTP server out there?

    >> Posting from Google.com, and not using
    >> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
    >> what are the odds?

    >And your point?

    >I use advanced search when I know just what I'm looking for and where
    >to look for it. Most of the time, I get better results with a broader
    >search.

    >BTW, thanks largely to Google, I was able to get the card working just
    >fine. I had to install my old NIC and update a bunch of packages,
    >then download a Mandriva rpm of the firmware package for the WMP54g.
    >After swapping the cards again the card fired right up and configured
    >as expected.

    >I really wish Mandriva could get all the goods necessary to get this
    >card working in the distro on the disc. I'd have been up a creek if I
    >hadn't been able to wire it up and access all those packages.

    The problem is that it is proprietary code, which they probably cannot just
    distribute freely. It is included in the non-free on the club cds.

  16. Re: Linksys WMP54G installed, but can't connect.

    On May 19, 8:48 am, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On 19 May 2007 07:19:25 -0700, mada...@gmail.com wrote:

    > >> Posting from Google.com, and not using
    > >> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
    > >> what are the odds?

    > > And your point?

    > Then you should have seen something like
    >
    > Search Results 1-10 of about 1,540,000 for free usenet server

    Yeah, there are quite a few.

    Funny thing though -- about 1/3 of my (limited) sample of those
    results yielded sites that were down. Of the rest, I couldn't find
    any that allowed posting. Granted, I only spent about 30 minutes
    looking, but it's not the only thing I had to do at the time.

    Mark

  17. Re: Linksys WMP54G installed, but can't connect.

    On May 19, 9:11 am, Unruh wrote:
    > "mada...@gmail.com" writes:

    > >> Posting from Google.com, and not using
    > >> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
    > >> what are the odds?

    > >And your point?
    > >I use advanced search when I know just what I'm looking for and where
    > >to look for it. Most of the time, I get better results with a broader
    > >search.
    > >BTW, thanks largely to Google, I was able to get the card working just
    > >fine. I had to install my old NIC and update a bunch of packages,
    > >then download a Mandriva rpm of the firmware package for theWMP54g.
    > >After swapping the cards again the card fired right up and configured
    > >as expected.
    > >I really wish Mandriva could get all the goods necessary to get this
    > >card working in the distro on the disc. I'd have been up a creek if I
    > >hadn't been able to wire it up and access all those packages.

    > The problem is that it is proprietary code, which they probably cannot just
    > distribute freely. It is included in the non-free on the club cds.

    That's pretty much what I thought, but I figured it would be in the
    PLF non-free repos, or club members could get it through the non-free
    club repositories. I may not have this stuff configured as completely
    as I thought, but it never showed up in any of my attempts.

    I'm just saying....

    Mark

+ Reply to Thread