Out-of-the-box Webcam that works for Mandriva 2007 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Out-of-the-box Webcam that works for Mandriva 2007 - Mandriva ; I have a creative webcam but making it work in Mandriva seems like Mission: Impossible. Any of you out there that are using a webcam that was detected and recognized and running after installing Mandriva? What make and model are ...

  1. Out-of-the-box Webcam that works for Mandriva 2007

    I have a creative webcam but making it work in Mandriva seems like
    Mission: Impossible. Any of you out there that are using a webcam that
    was detected and recognized and running after installing Mandriva?
    What make and model are you using? I just might go and get one that
    simply works, based on your replies. USB connection preferred.

  2. Re: Out-of-the-box Webcam that works for Mandriva 2007

    On 15 May 2007 12:48:34 -0700, shedied@gmail.com wrote:

    > I have a creative webcam but making it work in Mandriva seems like
    > Mission: Impossible. Any of you out there that are using a webcam that
    > was detected and recognized and running after installing Mandriva?
    > What make and model are you using? I just might go and get one that
    > simply works, based on your replies. USB connection preferred.

    try finding this file=" gspcav1" it's in France and was made by 1 guy
    have not tired it yet as my mandriva 2007.1
    install keeps failing with a hd error

  3. Re: Out-of-the-box Webcam that works for Mandriva 2007

    On 15 May 2007 12:48:34 -0700, shedied@gmail.com wrote:

    > I have a creative webcam but making it work in Mandriva seems like
    > Mission: Impossible. Any of you out there that are using a webcam that
    > was detected and recognized and running after installing Mandriva?
    > What make and model are you using? I just might go and get one that
    > simply works, based on your replies. USB connection preferred.

    http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html one driver for 244
    webcams he claims

  4. Re: Out-of-the-box Webcam that works for Mandriva 2007

    shedied@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have a creative webcam but making it work in Mandriva seems like
    > Mission: Impossible. Any of you out there that are using a webcam that
    > was detected and recognized and running after installing Mandriva?
    > What make and model are you using? I just might go and get one that
    > simply works, based on your replies. USB connection preferred.

    =====
    FYI , my 'old' Philips PCVC680K works with MDV 2007.0 ,my current version

    Frank

  5. Re: Out-of-the-box Webcam that works for Mandriva 2007

    Alan Crandall wrote:

    > On 15 May 2007 12:48:34 -0700, shedied@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> I have a creative webcam but making it work in Mandriva seems like
    >> Mission: Impossible. Any of you out there that are using a webcam that
    >> was detected and recognized and running after installing Mandriva?
    >> What make and model are you using? I just might go and get one that
    >> simply works, based on your replies. USB connection preferred.
    >>

    > http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html one driver for 244
    > webcams he claims

    I tried to install it via checkinstall. It failed, see below. I don't
    thoink I hve ever got checkinstall to successfully install anything
    on the few occasions that I tried it.

    Alan

    root@localhost Programs]# checkinstall gspcav1-20070508.tar

    checkinstall 1.6.0, Copyright 2002 Felipe Eduardo Sanchez Diaz Duran
    This software is released under the GNU GPL.

    The package documentation directory ./doc-pak does not exist.
    Should I create a default set of package docs? [y]: y

    Preparing package documentation...OK

    *** No known documentation files were found. The new package
    *** won't include a documentation directory.

    Please write a description for the package.
    End your description with an empty line or EOF.
    >> webcam device driver

    **************************************
    **** RPM package creation selected ***
    **************************************

    This package will be built according to these values:

    1 - Summary: [ webcam device driver ]
    2 - Name: [ Programs ]
    3 - Version: [ 20070516 ]
    4 - Release: [ 1 ]
    5 - License: [ GPL ]
    6 - Group: [ checkinstall ]
    7 - Architecture: [ i386 ]
    8 - Source location: [ Programs ]
    9 - Alternate source location: [ ]
    10 - Requires: [ ]
    11 - Provides: [ Programs ]

    Enter a number to change any of them or press ENTER to continue: 2
    Enter new name:
    >> gspcav1-20070508

    This package will be built according to these values:

    1 - Summary: [ webcam device driver ]
    2 - Name: [ gspcav1-20070508 ]
    3 - Version: [ 20070516 ]
    4 - Release: [ 1 ]
    5 - License: [ GPL ]
    6 - Group: [ checkinstall ]
    7 - Architecture: [ i386 ]
    8 - Source location: [ Programs ]
    9 - Alternate source location: [ ]
    10 - Requires: [ ]
    11 - Provides: [ Programs ]

    Enter a number to change any of them or press ENTER to continue:

    Installing with gspcav1-20070508.tar...

    ========================= Installation results ===========================
    /root/tmp/hcWVGGILJhlUeIBqHnrG/installscript.sh: line 4:
    gspcav1-20070508.tar: command not found

    **** Installation failed. Aborting package creation.

    Cleaning up...OK

    Bye.

  6. Re: Out-of-the-box Webcam that works for Mandriva 2007

    On Tue, 15 May 2007 12:48:34 -0700, shedied wrote:

    > Any of you out there that are using a webcam that was detected and
    > recognized and running after installing Mandriva?

    Yes, a Creative Webcam 3 USB but you're unlikely to find that new.

    If you want a fully-supported webcam, you'll generally need to look for an
    older model. The component manufacturers keep rolling out new bridges and
    sensors at breakneck speed and the OEMs keep rolling out new webcam models
    based on them (or worse, changing the components but retaining the old
    model name/number). Since it takes time to develop a driver or patch an
    existing driver and get that support into new distro releases, the
    community is constantly trying to catch up.

  7. Re: Out-of-the-box Webcam that works for Mandriva 2007

    > If you want a fully-supported webcam, you'll generally need to look for an
    > older model. The component manufacturers keep rolling out new bridges and
    > sensors at breakneck speed and the OEMs keep rolling out new webcam models
    > based on them (or worse, changing the components but retaining the old
    > model name/number). Since it takes time to develop a driver or patch an
    > existing driver and get that support into new distro releases, the
    > community is constantly trying to catch up.

    Indeed my 6 yrs old Philips PCVC680K webcam has worked since I had my
    first look at Linux in 2003.
    Since companies like Dell will now be increasingly 'sporting Linux' ,
    the peripheral devices market will hopefully speed-up driver development.

    Frank

+ Reply to Thread