KMail sending error - Mandriva

This is a discussion on KMail sending error - Mandriva ; What is causing this error? I have checked and rechecked my settings many times over and can't seem to find the problem any suggestions anyone? Sending failed: Message sending failed since the following recipients were rejected by the server: xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.com ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

  1. KMail sending error

    What is causing this error?

    I have checked and rechecked my settings many times over and can't seem to
    find the problem

    any suggestions anyone?

    Sending failed:
    Message sending failed since the following recipients were rejected by the
    server:
    xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.com (The server responded: "RCPT
    TO: Relaying not allowed - please use SMTP AUTH")
    The message will stay in the 'outbox' folder until you either fix the
    problem (e.g. a broken address) or remove the message from the 'outbox'
    folder.
    The following transport protocol was used:
    yyyyyyyy@yyyyyyyy.net

  2. Re: KMail sending error

    Tony Jaa wrote:

    > What is causing this error?
    >
    > I have checked and rechecked my settings many times over and can't seem to
    > find the problem
    >
    > any suggestions anyone?
    >

    > Sending failed:
    > Message sending failed since the following recipients were rejected by the
    > server:
    > xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.com (The server responded: "RCPT
    > TO: Relaying not allowed - please use SMTP AUTH")

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Perhaps the SMTP server you set up in Kmail needs you to enter a username
    and password? You may also have to specify SSL or TLS encryption.

    Rob

    --
    Rob Kemp
    rpkemp@postNOSPAMTOMEmaster.co.uk

  3. Re: KMail sending error

    Tony Jaa wrote:
    > What is causing this error?
    >
    > I have checked and rechecked my settings many times over and can't seem to
    > find the problem
    >
    > any suggestions anyone?
    >

    > Sending failed:
    > Message sending failed since the following recipients were rejected by the
    > server:
    > xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.com (The server responded: "RCPT
    > TO: Relaying not allowed - please use SMTP AUTH")
    > The message will stay in the 'outbox' folder until you either fix the
    > problem (e.g. a broken address) or remove the message from the 'outbox'
    > folder.
    > The following transport protocol was used:
    > yyyyyyyy@yyyyyyyy.net

    It says "Relaying not allowed - please use SMTP AUTH",
    so perhaps do what it says.

    The MTA your sending to is telling you what is required.

    Kmail is an MUA, it uses an MTA for delivery, the MTA
    you choose to use requires authentication.

    MUA = Mail user agent
    MTA = Mail transfer agent

  4. Re: KMail sending error

    On Mon, 14 May 2007 21:59:47 -1000, Tony Jaa wrote:

    > Relaying not allowed

    The only time I had that with KMail was when I tried to use my ISP's
    SMTP server for the first time, using a 'From' address that was
    different from the address I had at that ISP.

    --
    Maurice

  5. Re: KMail sending error

    foo wrote:

    > Tony Jaa wrote:
    >> What is causing this error?
    >>
    >> I have checked and rechecked my settings many times over and can't seem
    >> to find the problem
    >>
    >> any suggestions anyone?
    >>

    >> Sending failed:
    >> Message sending failed since the following recipients were rejected by
    >> the server:
    >> xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.com (The server responded: "RCPT
    >> TO: Relaying not allowed - please use SMTP AUTH")
    >> The message will stay in the 'outbox' folder until you either fix the
    >> problem (e.g. a broken address) or remove the message from the 'outbox'
    >> folder.
    >> The following transport protocol was used:
    >> yyyyyyyy@yyyyyyyy.net

    > It says "Relaying not allowed - please use SMTP AUTH",
    > so perhaps do what it says.
    >
    > The MTA your sending to is telling you what is required.
    >
    > Kmail is an MUA, it uses an MTA for delivery, the MTA
    > you choose to use requires authentication.
    >
    > MUA = Mail user agent
    > MTA = Mail transfer agent

    my server doesnt require authentication

  6. Re: KMail sending error

    Rob Kemp wrote:

    > Tony Jaa wrote:
    >
    >> What is causing this error?
    >>
    >> I have checked and rechecked my settings many times over and can't seem
    >> to find the problem
    >>
    >> any suggestions anyone?
    >>

    >> Sending failed:
    >> Message sending failed since the following recipients were rejected by
    >> the server:
    >> xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.com (The server responded: "RCPT
    >> TO: Relaying not allowed - please use SMTP AUTH")

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >
    > Perhaps the SMTP server you set up in Kmail needs you to enter a username
    > and password? You may also have to specify SSL or TLS encryption.
    >
    > Rob

    tried a username and password - my server doesnt require authentication,
    thats what has me confused.

  7. Re: KMail sending error

    Tony Jaa wrote:

    >>> xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.com (The server responded: "RCPT
    >>> TO: Relaying not allowed - please use SMTP AUTH")

    >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >>
    >> Perhaps the SMTP server you set up in Kmail needs you to enter a username
    >> and password? You may also have to specify SSL or TLS encryption.
    >>
    >> Rob
    >>

    > tried a username and password - my server doesnt require authentication,
    > thats what has me confused.

    In that case are you (as Maurice Batey suggests) using a 'from' account not
    provided by your ISP? Some ISPs (e.g. BT in the UK, perhaps Hawaiiantel
    too?) disallow emails that originate from a different domain name than
    theirs (as yours appears to). That's what is usually meant by 'relaying not
    allowed'. Are you able to send mail from a hawaiiantel.net address, if you
    have one? Or possibly TO a hawaiiantel.net address from your preferred
    email address? If so, Kmail is working OK and you need to find out from
    your ISP what it will take to get the smtp server to accept outgoing mail
    from your domain.

    Rob

    --
    Rob Kemp
    rpkemp@postNOSPAMTOMEmaster.co.uk

  8. Re: KMail sending error

    Tony Jaa wrote:
    > foo wrote:
    >
    >> Tony Jaa wrote:
    >>> What is causing this error?
    >>>
    >>> I have checked and rechecked my settings many times over and can't seem
    >>> to find the problem
    >>>
    >>> any suggestions anyone?
    >>>

    >>> Sending failed:
    >>> Message sending failed since the following recipients were rejected by
    >>> the server:
    >>> xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.com (The server responded: "RCPT
    >>> TO: Relaying not allowed - please use SMTP AUTH")
    >>> The message will stay in the 'outbox' folder until you either fix the
    >>> problem (e.g. a broken address) or remove the message from the 'outbox'
    >>> folder.
    >>> The following transport protocol was used:
    >>> yyyyyyyy@yyyyyyyy.net

    >> It says "Relaying not allowed - please use SMTP AUTH",
    >> so perhaps do what it says.
    >>
    >> The MTA your sending to is telling you what is required.
    >>
    >> Kmail is an MUA, it uses an MTA for delivery, the MTA
    >> you choose to use requires authentication.
    >>
    >> MUA = Mail user agent
    >> MTA = Mail transfer agent

    > my server doesnt require authentication

    Then you will need to define "my server" and supply
    more details.

  9. Re: KMail sending error

    On Tue, 15 May 2007 17:58:24 +0100, I wrote:

    > The only time I had that with KMail was when I tried to use my ISP's
    > SMTP server for the first time, using a 'From' address that was
    > different from the address I had at that ISP.

    They then made special arrangments for me to use another of their
    SMTP mail servers, which allowed them to permit me to use my
    'indirect/relayed' email address instead of the native one.
    --
    Maurice

  10. Re: KMail sending error

    foo wrote:

    > Tony Jaa wrote:
    >> foo wrote:

    >>> It says "Relaying not allowed - please use SMTP AUTH",
    >>> so perhaps do what it says.
    >>>
    >>> The MTA your sending to is telling you what is required.
    >>>
    >>> Kmail is an MUA, it uses an MTA for delivery, the MTA
    >>> you choose to use requires authentication.
    >>>
    >>> MUA = Mail user agent
    >>> MTA = Mail transfer agent

    >> my server doesnt require authentication

    > Then you will need to define "my server" and supply
    > more details.

    my ISP's server

  11. Re: KMail sending error

    Rob Kemp wrote:

    >>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps the SMTP server you set up in Kmail needs you to enter a
    >>> username and password? You may also have to specify SSL or TLS
    >>> encryption.
    >>>
    >>> Rob
    >>>

    >> tried a username and password - my server doesnt require authentication,
    >> thats what has me confused.

    > In that case are you (as Maurice Batey suggests) using a 'from' account
    > not provided by your ISP? Some ISPs (e.g. BT in the UK, perhaps
    > Hawaiiantel too?) disallow emails that originate from a different domain
    > name than theirs (as yours appears to). That's what is usually meant by
    > 'relaying not allowed'. Are you able to send mail from a hawaiiantel.net
    > address, if you have one? Or possibly TO a hawaiiantel.net address from
    > your preferred email address? If so, Kmail is working OK and you need to
    > find out from your ISP what it will take to get the smtp server to accept
    > outgoing mail from your domain.
    >
    > Rob

    not a "from" account - it wont let me send any email so I dont know for sure
    what the problem really is. I keep getting the same error when I try and
    send email.
    I have changed all the settings more than once, deleted everything more than
    once with no solution.
    Of course this is linux so my ISP doesnt have a clue.

  12. Re: KMail sending error

    On 2007-05-17, Tony Jaa wrote:
    > foo wrote:
    >
    >> Tony Jaa wrote:

    >>> my server doesnt require authentication

    >> Then you will need to define "my server" and supply
    >> more details.

    > my ISP's server

    The "Please use SMTP AUTH" message would seem to indicate
    that it dies require authentication. In another posting,
    you said the support droids don't have a clue since you're
    using Linux. I would suspect they don't have a clue whether
    their server requires authentication.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  13. Re: KMail sending error

    Tony Jaa wrote:

    >> In that case are you (as Maurice Batey suggests) using a 'from' account
    >> not provided by your ISP? Some ISPs (e.g. BT in the UK, perhaps
    >> Hawaiiantel too?) disallow emails that originate from a different domain
    >> name than theirs (as yours appears to). That's what is usually meant by
    >> 'relaying not allowed'. Are you able to send mail from a hawaiiantel.net
    >> address, if you have one? Or possibly TO a hawaiiantel.net address from
    >> your preferred email address? If so, Kmail is working OK and you need to
    >> find out from your ISP what it will take to get the smtp server to accept
    >> outgoing mail from your domain.
    >>
    >> Rob
    >>

    > not a "from" account - it wont let me send any email so I dont know for
    > sure what the problem really is. I keep getting the same error when I try
    > and send email.
    > I have changed all the settings more than once, deleted everything more
    > than once with no solution.
    > Of course this is linux so my ISP doesnt have a clue.

    Just one final thought - are you sure you've entered the correct smtp server
    for your ISP, i.e. the service to which you are directly connected, and not
    some other smtp server? Presumably hawaiiantel.net's smtp server is
    something like smtp.hawaiiantel.net.

    Is your email working on a parallel windows installation? If so perhaps
    comparing the configuration from Outlook or whatever with the Kmail
    settings would help? (But you will already have thought of that I suppose.)

    Sorry I can't think of anything else.

    Rob

    --
    Rob Kemp
    rpkemp@postmaster.co.uk

  14. Re: KMail sending error

    Tony Jaa wrote:

    > my ISP's server

    Based on the NNTP headers, I see this at hawaiiantel.net :

    http://www.hawaiiantel.net/hthelp/em...t/email_08.htm

    Scroll down to the bottom, adapt these instructions
    as required for Kmail (and try harder next time).

  15. Re: KMail sending error

    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > On 2007-05-17, Tony Jaa wrote:
    >> foo wrote:

    >>> Then you will need to define "my server" and supply
    >>> more details.

    >> my ISP's server

    > The "Please use SMTP AUTH" message would seem to indicate
    > that it dies require authentication. In another posting,
    > you said the support droids don't have a clue since you're
    > using Linux. I would suspect they don't have a clue whether
    > their server requires authentication.

    3 phone calls to tech support finally got the answer, the first one said
    they couldnt help me as they dont do linux, the second one said no
    authorization required.
    The 3rd one, which I made since Sunday & last nite said I know a little
    about linux and the server does require authorization.
    Well, it looks like it may work now. Since I tried setting KMail for
    authorization at the beginning, which for some odd reason didnt work, the
    tech support guy told me the mail authorization server is real finicky.
    Hmmmm, dont get that one at all.Anyway if tech support was any kind of on
    the ball they might have at least known that the server requires
    authorization.

  16. Re: KMail sending error

    Rob Kemp wrote:

    > Tony Jaa wrote:
    >
    >>> In that case are you (as Maurice Batey suggests) using a 'from' account
    >>> not provided by your ISP? Some ISPs (e.g. BT in the UK, perhaps
    >>> Hawaiiantel too?) disallow emails that originate from a different domain
    >>> name than theirs (as yours appears to). That's what is usually meant by
    >>> 'relaying not allowed'. Are you able to send mail from a hawaiiantel.net
    >>> address, if you have one? Or possibly TO a hawaiiantel.net address from
    >>> your preferred email address? If so, Kmail is working OK and you need to
    >>> find out from your ISP what it will take to get the smtp server to
    >>> accept outgoing mail from your domain.
    >>>
    >>> Rob
    >>>

    >> not a "from" account - it wont let me send any email so I dont know for
    >> sure what the problem really is. I keep getting the same error when I try
    >> and send email.
    >> I have changed all the settings more than once, deleted everything more
    >> than once with no solution.
    >> Of course this is linux so my ISP doesnt have a clue.

    > Just one final thought - are you sure you've entered the correct smtp
    > server for your ISP, i.e. the service to which you are directly connected,
    > and not some other smtp server? Presumably hawaiiantel.net's smtp server
    > is something like smtp.hawaiiantel.net.
    >
    > Is your email working on a parallel windows installation? If so perhaps
    > comparing the configuration from Outlook or whatever with the Kmail
    > settings would help? (But you will already have thought of that I
    > suppose.)
    >
    > Sorry I can't think of anything else.
    >
    > Rob

    yes, I was able to pull email on another machine, windows. But since I didnt
    get correct info from tech support on the first 2 calls I was misled into
    thinking there was something else going on.
    I think the 3rd call to tech support got it straight. I did finally get the
    correct info that the server does require authorization. Why couldnt TS
    tell me this in the 2 previous phone calls?

  17. Re: KMail sending error

    On Tue, 15 May 2007 18:36:14 -1000, Tony Jaa wrote:

    >>> xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.com (The server responded: "RCPT
    >>> TO: Relaying not allowed - please use SMTP
    >>> AUTH")

    > my server doesnt require authentication

    It does now, though as usual with clueless ISPs the world over, they
    probably never informed the users of their plans to introduce SMTP AUTH
    and outgoing port 25 blocking. If you go to http://www.hawaiiantel.net/
    and click on Email Support, you'll see that they've "identified an issue"
    - they still don't explain what they've done but looking at the examples
    you will notice:

    a) To send mail through smtp.hawaiiantel.net you now need to
    *authenticate* as $USER@hawaiiantel.net (presumably with your POP3
    password).

    b) Outgoing port 25 to other networks is now blocked.

    You are probably still free to use any From address.

  18. Re: KMail sending error

    Snowbat wrote:

    >> my server doesnt require authentication

    > It does now, though as usual with clueless ISPs the world over, they
    > probably never informed the users of their plans to introduce SMTP AUTH
    > and outgoing port 25 blocking. If you go to http://www.hawaiiantel.net/
    > and click on Email Support, you'll see that they've "identified an issue"
    > - they still don't explain what they've done but looking at the examples
    > you will notice:
    >
    > a) To send mail through smtp.hawaiiantel.net you now need to
    > *authenticate* as $USER@hawaiiantel.net (presumably with your POP3
    > password).
    >
    > b) Outgoing port 25 to other networks is now blocked.
    >
    > You are probably still free to use any From address.

    damn, no wonder no one knows whats going on

  19. Re: KMail sending error

    Rob Kemp wrote:

    > Tony Jaa wrote:
    >
    >>> In that case are you (as Maurice Batey suggests) using a 'from' account
    >>> not provided by your ISP? Some ISPs (e.g. BT in the UK, perhaps
    >>> Hawaiiantel too?) disallow emails that originate from a different domain
    >>> name than theirs (as yours appears to). That's what is usually meant by
    >>> 'relaying not allowed'. Are you able to send mail from a hawaiiantel.net
    >>> address, if you have one? Or possibly TO a hawaiiantel.net address from
    >>> your preferred email address? If so, Kmail is working OK and you need to
    >>> find out from your ISP what it will take to get the smtp server to
    >>> accept outgoing mail from your domain.
    >>>
    >>> Rob
    >>>

    >> not a "from" account - it wont let me send any email so I dont know for
    >> sure what the problem really is. I keep getting the same error when I try
    >> and send email.
    >> I have changed all the settings more than once, deleted everything more
    >> than once with no solution.
    >> Of course this is linux so my ISP doesnt have a clue.

    > Just one final thought - are you sure you've entered the correct smtp
    > server for your ISP, i.e. the service to which you are directly connected,
    > and not some other smtp server? Presumably hawaiiantel.net's smtp server
    > is something like smtp.hawaiiantel.net.
    >
    > Is your email working on a parallel windows installation? If so perhaps
    > comparing the configuration from Outlook or whatever with the Kmail
    > settings would help? (But you will already have thought of that I
    > suppose.)
    >
    > Sorry I can't think of anything else.
    >
    > Rob

    well, 4th phone call last nite to tech support, and it still doesnt work, it
    worked for about 2 or 3 emails and then reverted back to being busted.

  20. Re: KMail sending error

    Tony Jaa wrote:

    > Rob Kemp wrote:

    >>> not a "from" account - it wont let me send any email so I dont know for
    >>> sure what the problem really is. I keep getting the same error when I
    >>> try and send email.
    >>> I have changed all the settings more than once, deleted everything more
    >>> than once with no solution.
    >>> Of course this is linux so my ISP doesnt have a clue.

    >> Just one final thought - are you sure you've entered the correct smtp
    >> server for your ISP, i.e. the service to which you are directly
    >> connected, and not some other smtp server? Presumably hawaiiantel.net's
    >> smtp server is something like smtp.hawaiiantel.net.
    >>
    >> Is your email working on a parallel windows installation? If so perhaps
    >> comparing the configuration from Outlook or whatever with the Kmail
    >> settings would help? (But you will already have thought of that I
    >> suppose.)
    >>
    >> Sorry I can't think of anything else.
    >>
    >> Rob
    >>

    > well, 4th phone call last nite to tech support, and it still doesnt work,
    > it worked for about 2 or 3 emails and then reverted back to being busted.

    oh, doesnt Knode use the smtp server to send to the news server?

    news works just fine in and out.

    no authentication either.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast