KMail sending error - Mandriva

This is a discussion on KMail sending error - Mandriva ; Tony Jaa wrote: >> >> well, 4th phone call last nite to tech support, and it still doesnt work, >> it worked for about 2 or 3 emails and then reverted back to being busted. > > > oh, doesnt ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 35 of 35

  1. Re: KMail sending error

    Tony Jaa wrote:

    >> well, 4th phone call last nite to tech support, and it still doesnt work,
    >> it worked for about 2 or 3 emails and then reverted back to being busted.

    > oh, doesnt Knode use the smtp server to send to the news server?

    SMTP and NNTP are about as similar as CHEESE and CHALK.

    Does thunderbird have the same problem (works then doesn't) ?

    $ telnet smtp.hawaiiantel.net 25
    Trying 64.97.131.50...
    Connected to smtp.hawaiiantel.net (64.97.131.50).
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 n016.sc0.he.tucows.com ESMTP Service (7.2.078) ready
    EHLO my.bogus.domain
    250-n016.sc0.he.tucows.com
    250-DSN
    250-8BITMIME
    250-PIPELINING
    250-HELP
    250-AUTH=LOGIN
    250-AUTH LOGIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5 PLAIN
    250-DELIVERBY 300
    250 SIZE
    ^]
    telnet> q

    The SMTP server that answers switches between
    various hosts in the sc0.he.tucows.com domain.
    (round robin DNS)

    'dig MX hawaiiantel.net' shows inbound.hawaiiantel.net.cust.securehostedemail.com
    as the Mail Exchanger.

    So, hawaiiantel are not smart enough to run their own MTA's.

    And, smtp.hawaiiantel.net.cust.securehostedemail.com does not
    have a reverse lookup entry, so securehostedemail.com are not
    smart enough to run their own DNS.

    Both sc0.he.tucows.com and securehostedemail.com appear to
    be withing the same class A address space (subnetted to a class B).

    It would appear that hawaiiantel.net are complete clowns, so
    they use other complete clowns services for email.

    If I was you I would change ISP whether email works or not.

    However, you could specify more details as well. So far you
    haven't even bothered to confirm what SMTP server your using.
    Everybody is guessing due to your inability to provide any
    details.

    "then reverted back to being busted" is not a useful description.

  2. Re: KMail sending error

    foo wrote:

    > Tony Jaa wrote:
    >>>
    >>> well, 4th phone call last nite to tech support, and it still doesnt
    >>> work, it worked for about 2 or 3 emails and then reverted back to being
    >>> busted.

    >> oh, doesnt Knode use the smtp server to send to the news server?
    >>

    > SMTP and NNTP are about as similar as CHEESE and CHALK.
    >
    > Does thunderbird have the same problem (works then doesn't) ?
    >
    > $ telnet smtp.hawaiiantel.net 25
    > Trying 64.97.131.50...
    > Connected to smtp.hawaiiantel.net (64.97.131.50).
    > Escape character is '^]'.
    > 220 n016.sc0.he.tucows.com ESMTP Service (7.2.078) ready
    > EHLO my.bogus.domain
    > 250-n016.sc0.he.tucows.com
    > 250-DSN
    > 250-8BITMIME
    > 250-PIPELINING
    > 250-HELP
    > 250-AUTH=LOGIN
    > 250-AUTH LOGIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5 PLAIN
    > 250-DELIVERBY 300
    > 250 SIZE
    > ^]
    > telnet> q
    >
    > The SMTP server that answers switches between
    > various hosts in the sc0.he.tucows.com domain.
    > (round robin DNS)
    >
    > 'dig MX hawaiiantel.net' shows
    > inbound.hawaiiantel.net.cust.securehostedemail.com as the Mail Exchanger.
    >
    > So, hawaiiantel are not smart enough to run their own MTA's.
    >
    > And, smtp.hawaiiantel.net.cust.securehostedemail.com does not
    > have a reverse lookup entry, so securehostedemail.com are not
    > smart enough to run their own DNS.
    >
    > Both sc0.he.tucows.com and securehostedemail.com appear to
    > be withing the same class A address space (subnetted to a class B).
    >
    > It would appear that hawaiiantel.net are complete clowns, so
    > they use other complete clowns services for email.
    >
    > If I was you I would change ISP whether email works or not.
    >
    > However, you could specify more details as well. So far you
    > haven't even bothered to confirm what SMTP server your using.

    I dont know and my ISP couldnt tell me - tech support isnt that great you
    know.

    > Everybody is guessing due to your inability to provide any
    > details.
    >
    > "then reverted back to being busted" is not a useful description.

  3. Re: KMail sending error

    >> However, you could specify more details as well. So far you
    >> haven't even bothered to confirm what SMTP server your using.

    > I dont know and my ISP couldnt tell me - tech support isnt that great you
    > know.

    In a previous post you said "I have checked and rechecked my settings",
    if you don't knows what server to use how could you possibly check
    and/or recheck your settings.

    You also said "my server doesnt require authentication",
    the exact opposite of the MTA's response in your initial query.

    That's enough from me. Your wasting peoples (mine at least) time.

  4. Re: KMail sending error

    On 2007-05-19, Tony Jaa wrote:
    > Tony Jaa wrote:
    >
    >> Rob Kemp wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tony Jaa wrote:

    [...]

    > oh, doesnt Knode use the smtp server to send to the news server?
    >
    > news works just fine in and out.
    >
    > no authentication either.

    Reading and posting to newsgroups uses the NNTP protocol, not SMTP, and a
    news-server not a mail-server. Different systems and quite possibly
    different hardware and different sub-contractors.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  5. Re: KMail sending error

    On 2007-05-19, Tony Jaa wrote:
    > foo wrote:
    >
    >> Tony Jaa wrote:

    [...]

    >> However, you could specify more details as well. So far you
    >> haven't even bothered to confirm what SMTP server your using.

    > I dont know and my ISP couldnt tell me - tech support isnt that great you
    > know.
    >
    >> Everybody is guessing due to your inability to provide any
    >> details.

    [...]

    Open Kmail. Click on 'Settings - Configure Kmail - Accounts - Sending' and
    select the account marked 'default', and click on 'Modify'. What have you
    put in the box labeled 'Host'? That is the address of the outgoing email
    server you are trying to use for all outgoing emails [1].

    <http://www.hawaiiantel.net/wps/porta...ssy0xPLMnMz0vM
    0Y_QjzKLN4i3dAfJgFku-pGoIsam6CKOcAFvfV-P_NxU_QD9gtzQ0IhyR0UAAiZkSA!!/delta/
    base64xml/L3dJdyEvUUd3QndNQSEvNElVRS82XzBfOUg!> or
    has instructions for setting up various Windows and Mac email programs;
    look at any of those to find the correct outgoing SMTP server (and other
    settings) to use.

    [1] unless you have an 'Identity' for which you have selected 'use special
    transport' in the 'Advanced' tab'.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  6. Re: KMail sending error

    Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2007-05-19, Tony Jaa wrote:
    >> Tony Jaa wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    >> oh, doesnt Knode use the smtp server to send to the news server?
    >>
    >> news works just fine in and out.
    >>
    >> no authentication either.

    > Reading and posting to newsgroups uses the NNTP protocol, not SMTP, and a
    > news-server not a mail-server. Different systems and quite possibly
    > different hardware and different sub-contractors.

    if you use Knode go look at the configuration setup

  7. Re: KMail sending error

    Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2007-05-19, Tony Jaa wrote:
    >> foo wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tony Jaa wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    >>> However, you could specify more details as well. So far you
    >>> haven't even bothered to confirm what SMTP server your using.

    >> I dont know and my ISP couldnt tell me - tech support isnt that great you
    >> know.
    >>
    >>> Everybody is guessing due to your inability to provide any
    >>> details.

    > [...]
    >
    > Open Kmail. Click on 'Settings - Configure Kmail - Accounts - Sending'
    > and
    > select the account marked 'default', and click on 'Modify'. What have you
    > put in the box labeled 'Host'? That is the address of the outgoing email
    > server you are trying to use for all outgoing emails [1].

    smtp.hawaiiantel.net

    <http://www.hawaiiantel.net/wps/porta...ssy0xPLMnMz0vM

    0Y_QjzKLN4i3dAfJgFku-pGoIsam6CKOcAFvfV-P_NxU_QD9gtzQ0IhyR0UAAiZkSA!!/delta/
    > base64xml/L3dJdyEvUUd3QndNQSEvNElVRS82XzBfOUg!> or
    > has instructions for setting up various Windows and Mac email programs;
    > look at any of those to find the correct outgoing SMTP server (and other
    > settings) to use.
    >
    > [1] unless you have an 'Identity' for which you have selected 'use special
    > transport' in the 'Advanced' tab'.

  8. Re: KMail sending error

    foo wrote:

    >>> However, you could specify more details as well. So far you
    >>> haven't even bothered to confirm what SMTP server your using.

    >> I dont know and my ISP couldnt tell me - tech support isnt that great you
    >> know.
    >>

    > In a previous post you said "I have checked and rechecked my settings",
    > if you don't knows what server to use how could you possibly check
    > and/or recheck your settings.
    >
    > You also said "my server doesnt require authentication",
    > the exact opposite of the MTA's response in your initial query.
    >
    > That's enough from me. Your wasting peoples (mine at least) time.

    read my posts you will note I said thats what my ISP's tech support is
    telling me.

  9. Re: KMail sending error

    foo wrote:

    > That's enough from me. Your wasting peoples (mine at least) time.

    Ahem. (Or, as we say in England, foo cough.)

    --
    Rob Kemp
    rpkemp@postmaster.co.uk

  10. Re: KMail sending error

    On 2007-05-20, Tony Jaa wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:

    >> [...]
    >>
    >>> oh, doesnt Knode use the smtp server to send to the news server?
    >>>
    >>> news works just fine in and out.
    >>>
    >>> no authentication either.

    >> Reading and posting to newsgroups uses the NNTP protocol, not SMTP, and a
    >> news-server not a mail-server. Different systems and quite possibly
    >> different hardware and different sub-contractors.

    > if you use Knode go look at the configuration setup

    If you want to respond privately to a usenet article, you do so using
    email; so some news-reader programs are able to send emails, and to do so
    they have to have the address and password etc for an SMTP server. You do
    not use the SMTP server for reading newsgroups or for posting to them.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  11. Re: KMail sending error

    On 2007-05-20, Tony Jaa wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:

    >> [...]
    >>>
    >>> I dont know and my ISP couldnt tell me - tech support isnt that great you
    >>> know.

    >> [...]
    >>
    >> Open Kmail. Click on 'Settings - Configure Kmail - Accounts - Sending'
    >> and
    >> select the account marked 'default', and click on 'Modify'. What have you
    >> put in the box labeled 'Host'? That is the address of the outgoing email
    >> server you are trying to use for all outgoing emails [1].

    > smtp.hawaiiantel.net
    >
    >> <http://www.hawaiiantel.net/wps/porta...ssy0xPLMnMz0vM
    >> 0Y_QjzKLN4i3dAfJgFku-pGoIsam6CKOcAFvfV-P_NxU_QD9gtzQ0IhyR0UAAiZkSA!!/delta/
    >> base64xml/L3dJdyEvUUd3QndNQSEvNElVRS82XzBfOUg!> or
    >> has instructions for setting up various Windows and Mac email programs;
    >> look at any of those to find the correct outgoing SMTP server (and other
    >> settings) to use.
    >>
    >> [1] unless you have an 'Identity' for which you have selected 'use special
    >> transport' in the 'Advanced' tab'.

    OK; now look at the username and password ...

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  12. Re: KMail sending error

    Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2007-05-20, Tony Jaa wrote:
    >> Whiskers wrote:

    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> Reading and posting to newsgroups uses the NNTP protocol, not SMTP, and
    >>> news-server not a mail-server. Different systems and quite possibly
    >>> different hardware and different sub-contractors.

    >> if you use Knode go look at the configuration setup

    > If you want to respond privately to a usenet article, you do so using
    > email; so some news-reader programs are able to send emails, and to do so
    > they have to have the address and password etc for an SMTP server. You do
    > not use the SMTP server for reading newsgroups or for posting to them.

    I learned something today, thanks!

  13. Re: KMail sending error

    Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2007-05-20, Tony Jaa wrote:
    >> Whiskers wrote:

    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> Open Kmail. Click on 'Settings - Configure Kmail - Accounts - Sending'
    >>> and
    >>> select the account marked 'default', and click on 'Modify'. What have
    >>> you
    >>> put in the box labeled 'Host'? That is the address of the outgoing
    >>> email server you are trying to use for all outgoing emails [1].

    >> smtp.hawaiiantel.net

    <http://www.hawaiiantel.net/wps/porta...ssy0xPLMnMz0vM

    0Y_QjzKLN4i3dAfJgFku-pGoIsam6CKOcAFvfV-P_NxU_QD9gtzQ0IhyR0UAAiZkSA!!/delta/
    >>> base64xml/L3dJdyEvUUd3QndNQSEvNElVRS82XzBfOUg!> or
    >>> has instructions for setting up various Windows
    >>> and Mac email programs; look at any of those to find the correct
    >>> outgoing SMTP server (and other settings) to use.
    >>>
    >>> [1] unless you have an 'Identity' for which you have selected 'use
    >>> [special
    >>> transport' in the 'Advanced' tab'.

    > OK; now look at the username and password ...

    I did and it is correct - what entry do I put into the special transport
    advanced tab?

  14. Re: KMail sending error

    On 2007-05-20, Tony Jaa wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:

    >>> smtp.hawaiiantel.net
    >>>

    > <http://www.hawaiiantel.net/wps/porta...ssy0xPLMnMz0vM
    >>>>

    > 0Y_QjzKLN4i3dAfJgFku-pGoIsam6CKOcAFvfV-P_NxU_QD9gtzQ0IhyR0UAAiZkSA!!/delta/

    >> OK; now look at the username and password ...
    >>

    > I did and it is correct -

    Make sure that you have upper-case and lower-case correct, and haven't
    confused l for 1 or O for 0

    > what entry do I put into the special transport
    > advanced tab?

    For now, don't. Get the ISP's email server working before trying anything
    fancy.

    In the 'Security' tab of the default sending account settings, make sure
    you have 'None' selected for 'Encryption'. (You can se what happens wen
    you click on 'Check what the server supports', but I've known email
    servers claim to support security options which they do not in fact
    support - 'None' should work anyway).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  15. Re: KMail sending error

    Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2007-05-20, Tony Jaa wrote:
    >> Whiskers wrote:

    <http://www.hawaiiantel.net/wps/porta...ssy0xPLMnMz0vM

    0Y_QjzKLN4i3dAfJgFku-pGoIsam6CKOcAFvfV-P_NxU_QD9gtzQ0IhyR0UAAiZkSA!!/delta/

    >>> OK; now look at the username and password ...
    >>>

    >> I did and it is correct -

    > Make sure that you have upper-case and lower-case correct, and haven't
    > confused l for 1 or O for 0
    >
    >> what entry do I put into the special transport
    >> advanced tab?

    > For now, don't. Get the ISP's email server working before trying anything
    > fancy.
    >
    > In the 'Security' tab of the default sending account settings, make sure
    > you have 'None' selected for 'Encryption'. (You can se what happens wen
    > you click on 'Check what the server supports', but I've known email
    > servers claim to support security options which they do not in fact
    > support - 'None' should work anyway).

    well, its working right now, no encryption was the choice all along.
    The host, port and authentication are the same as they have been.
    One thing though, the authentication method is now plain, I had set it to
    login, not sure how it got changed. My ISP says its supposed to be on
    login.

    A friend who lives about 1/2 mile away has some contacts within the ISP
    company and I asked him to do a bit of detective wok for me and see if my
    ISP has been doing some work on the email server. Might take a few days
    before I find out but the last time I installed Mandriva - 6-8 months ago
    it worked from the start. Didnt have to play around with it. Something is
    very strange about this propblem.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2