A perl question (Enable mike UT2004) - Mandriva

This is a discussion on A perl question (Enable mike UT2004) - Mandriva ; Anyone know what is happening with this script. I couldn't get my mike to work with UT2004 until I added this script (~/.openalrc). Supposedly it's in Perl. I got the tip from... http://icculus.org/lgfaq/ It works fine now but I'm curious ...

  1. A perl question (Enable mike UT2004)

    Anyone know what is happening with this script. I couldn't get my mike
    to work with UT2004 until I added this script (~/.openalrc). Supposedly
    it's in Perl. I got the tip from...

    http://icculus.org/lgfaq/

    It works fine now but I'm curious as to what this does to make things
    work. Obviously I'm no Perl guru...

    define devices '(alsa)
    define alsa-out-device "hw:0,0"
    define alsa-in-device "plughw:0,0"
    define speaker-num 2

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  2. Re: (not) A perl question (Enable mike UT2004)

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > Anyone know what is happening with this script. I couldn't get my mike
    > to work with UT2004 until I added this script (~/.openalrc). Supposedly
    > it's in Perl. I got the tip from...
    >
    > http://icculus.org/lgfaq/
    >
    > It works fine now but I'm curious as to what this does to make things
    > work. Obviously I'm no Perl guru...
    >
    > define devices '(alsa)
    > define alsa-out-device "hw:0,0"
    > define alsa-in-device "plughw:0,0"
    > define speaker-num 2

    You have added some lisp things into a config file for openal.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisp_programming_language
    http://www.openal.org/

    You told openal that your using alsa and what alsa
    things it should use.

  3. Re: (not) A perl question (Enable mike UT2004)

    On Mon, 14 May 2007 18:16:43 +1000, foo wrote:

    > You have added some lisp things into a config file for openal.

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisp_programming_language
    > http://www.openal.org/

    > You told openal that your using alsa and what alsa things it should use.

    ^^^^

    I didn't realize this was a different protocol that needed an environment
    to run in. I thought (wrongly) it would just hook into the sound
    system used as the mike worked fine except for purposes of the game. Now
    it all works.

    BTW, this was a PITA to find. That website was the only reference I
    found and had been looking off and on for 6 months.

    Hopefully someone else will find this thread when faced with a similar
    problem.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  4. Enable mike UT2004

    On Mon, 14 May 2007 18:37:22 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:

    >> You have added some lisp things into a config file for openal.

    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisp_programming_language
    >> http://www.openal.org/

    >> You told openal that your using alsa and what alsa things it should use.

    > ^^^^

    For the sake of others... (microphone, mike, UT2004, Unreal)

    Q: How do I enable Voice over IP in Unreal Tournament 2004?

    A: With ALSA, create a ~/.openalrc, and then follow these instructions:

    *You will need a (define devices '(alsa)) line. (Yes, a single ', blame
    lisp.)

    *An alsa-out-device define, something along the lines of (define
    alsa-out-device "hw:0,0") or for a surround setup something like (define
    alsa-out-device "surround40:0,0").

    *An alsa-in-device define, something along the lines of (define
    alsa-in-device "hw:0,0") OR (define alsa-in-device "plughw:0,0").

    *And most likely a (define speaker-num 2) line, replacing that 2 with a 4
    for a surround setup.

    *Next, bind a key to voice chat in Unreal Tournament 2004 (F by default.)

    *Make sure that your mixer settings are set up to allow
    capture/record on your microphone.

    You may need to tweak the in and out device lines some for your specific
    setup, on a Live! Value with a surround setup you might use (define
    alsa-out-device "surround40:0,0") and (define alsa-in-device "hw:0,0").

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

+ Reply to Thread