Mandriva Spring 2007 Free AVG problem also Matisse - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mandriva Spring 2007 Free AVG problem also Matisse - Mandriva ; I installed Mandriva Spring 2007 Free from the downloded DVD but cannot get AVG to work. I installed AVG from their website and now have a desktop icon for it, but when I click on it, it apears to be ...

  1. Mandriva Spring 2007 Free AVG problem also Matisse

    I installed Mandriva Spring 2007 Free from the downloded DVD but
    cannot get AVG to work.
    I installed AVG from their website and now have a desktop icon for it,
    but when I click on it, it apears to be loading for a while , then
    stops with no AVG screen.
    Has anyone else had this problem.

    Also, I don't seem to be able to find how to get Matisse to work. Any
    ideas please?

  2. Re: Mandriva Spring 2007 Free AVG problem also Matisse

    On 12 May, 02:19, vectrama...@btinternet.com wrote:
    > I installed Mandriva Spring 2007 Free from the downloded DVD but
    > cannot get AVG to work.
    > I installed AVG from their website and now have a desktop icon for it,
    > but when I click on it, it apears to be loading for a while , then
    > stops with no AVG screen.
    > Has anyone else had this problem.
    >
    > Also, I don't seem to be able to find how to get Matisse to work. Any
    > ideas please?

    I can answer my own question about Matisse........
    Found that I needed to configure 3D Effects in the "Configure your
    computer"
    Matisse is then installed during the configuration.

  3. Re: Mandriva Spring 2007 Free AVG problem also Matisse

    On 2007-05-12, vectraman18@btinternet.com wrote:
    > I installed Mandriva Spring 2007 Free from the downloded DVD but
    > cannot get AVG to work.
    > I installed AVG from their website and now have a desktop icon for it,
    > but when I click on it, it apears to be loading for a while , then
    > stops with no AVG screen.
    > Has anyone else had this problem.

    [...]

    Have you followed the instructions provided by Grisoft? Assuming that
    you mean you've tried to install "AVG Free for Linux" you can get the
    instruction manual from
    .

    However, the real question is why do you want to install any sort of
    "anti-virus" software on a Linux system? There is nothing for it to
    protect you against; Windows malware doesn't work on non-Windows systems,
    and there is virtually no equivalent malware for Linux (there are a few
    'proof of concept' Linux viruses, but they pose no threat). I know this is
    a difficult concept to grasp for people coming fresh from using Windows;
    it took me a while to start believing it. But you do not need to worry
    about viruses or trojans or spyware on a Linux system.

    You might want to install "chkrootkit" or "rkhunter" to help deal with
    'rootkit' attacks on your system; that is a genuine threat worth bothering
    about, although nothing like as common or likely as Windows malware.

    Only very rarely do you need to go out on the web looking for software for
    you Mandriva system; look at the software management tools you can find in
    'configure your computer' (probably under 'system' on your main menu), add
    'Official updates' and 'Distribution sources' in the section 'Select from
    where software packages are downloaded when updating the system' (or follow
    the instructions at ) and you'll find that
    almost everything you could want is only a few clicks away.

    This is not Windows! )

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  4. Re: Mandriva Spring 2007 Free AVG problem also Matisse

    On 12 May, 10:57, Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2007-05-12, vectrama...@btinternet.com wrote:
    >
    > > I installed Mandriva Spring 2007 Free from the downloded DVD but
    > > cannot get AVG to work.
    > > I installed AVG from their website and now have a desktop icon for it,
    > > but when I click on it, it apears to be loading for a while , then
    > > stops with no AVG screen.
    > > Has anyone else had this problem.

    > [...]
    >
    > Have you followed the instructions provided by Grisoft? Assuming that
    > you mean you've tried to install "AVG Free for Linux" you can get the
    > instruction manual from
    > .
    >
    > However, the real question is why do you want to install any sort of
    > "anti-virus" software on a Linux system? There is nothing for it to
    > protect you against; Windows malware doesn't work on non-Windows systems,
    > and there is virtually no equivalent malware for Linux (there are a few
    > 'proof of concept' Linux viruses, but they pose no threat). I know this is
    > a difficult concept to grasp for people coming fresh from using Windows;
    > it took me a while to start believing it. But you do not need to worry
    > about viruses or trojans or spyware on a Linux system.
    >
    > You might want to install "chkrootkit" or "rkhunter" to help deal with
    > 'rootkit' attacks on your system; that is a genuine threat worth bothering
    > about, although nothing like as common or likely as Windows malware.
    >
    > Only very rarely do you need to go out on the web looking for software for
    > you Mandriva system; look at the software management tools you can find in
    > 'configure your computer' (probably under 'system' on your main menu), add
    > 'Official updates' and 'Distribution sources' in the section 'Select from
    > where software packages are downloaded when updating the system' (or follow
    > the instructions at ) and you'll find that
    > almost everything you could want is only a few clicks away.
    >
    > This is not Windows! )
    >
    > --
    > -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    > -- Whiskers
    > -- ~~~~~~~~~~

    Thanks for the advice. I have come from Windows where an anti virus
    is a must!
    With Grisoft providing an AVG for Linux, I naturally assumed that I
    should use it.

    Vectraman

  5. Re: Mandriva Spring 2007 Free AVG problem also Matisse

    On 2007-05-12, vectraman18@btinternet.com
    wrote:

    >> I installed Mandriva Spring 2007 Free from the downloded DVD but
    >> cannot get AVG to work.
    >> I installed AVG from their website and now have a desktop icon for it,
    >> but when I click on it, it apears to be loading for a while , then
    >> stops with no AVG screen.
    >> Has anyone else had this problem.

    You really are wasting your time with "anti-virus" software in a Linux
    environment, unless you're using it as a mailserver or fileserver for
    Windows clients. *There* *are* *no* *Linux* *viruses!* The permissions
    structure of Linux makes significant damage due to viral code impossible.

    It's also worth bearing in mind that "anti-virus" software doesn't (and
    can't) work in a Windows setting either. It's trivially easy to write
    something that infects and abuses Windows. It's also trivially easy to
    have the code self-modify so that the "anti-virus" software simply can't
    match it with any known signature. Google currently claim that over 10% of
    websites contain malicious code designed to infect Windows machines!

    You might want to run /chkrootkit/ on your Linux system. You're very
    unlikely to find anything, but it's better to be safe.

    C.

  6. Re: Mandriva Spring 2007 Free AVG problem also Matisse

    On 2007-05-12, vectraman18@btinternet.com wrote:
    > On 12 May, 10:57, Whiskers wrote:
    >> On 2007-05-12, vectrama...@btinternet.com wrote:

    [...]

    > Thanks for the advice. I have come from Windows where an anti virus
    > is a must!
    > With Grisoft providing an AVG for Linux, I naturally assumed that I
    > should use it.

    That's what they want you to think; how else could they sell you anything?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  7. Re: Mandriva Spring 2007 Free AVG problem also Matisse

    On 2007-05-12, Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > You might want to run /chkrootkit/ on your Linux system. You're very
    > unlikely to find anything, but it's better to be safe.

    While chkrootkit is a good thing to run, it's good to not
    freak out too quickly when it reports something. Some of
    its tests are rather simplistic. For example, an NFS server
    can cause chkrootkit to report a problem if/when statd or
    lockd is using the right/wrong port number. (I run
    chkrootkit but disable that particular test.)

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  8. Re: Mandriva Spring 2007 Free AVG problem also Matisse

    vectraman18@btinternet.com wrote:
    > I installed Mandriva Spring 2007 Free from the downloded DVD but
    > cannot get AVG to work.
    > I installed AVG from their website and now have a desktop icon for it,
    > but when I click on it, it apears to be loading for a while , then
    > stops with no AVG screen.
    > Has anyone else had this problem.
    >
    > Also, I don't seem to be able to find how to get Matisse to work. Any
    > ideas please?

    I don't know about 2007, but 2006 came with ClamAV. It's handy for
    scanning things you intend to transfer to a Windows-based computer.

  9. Re: Mandriva Spring 2007 Free AVG problem also Matisse

    vectraman18@btinternet.com wrote:
    > I installed Mandriva Spring 2007 Free from the downloded DVD but
    > cannot get AVG to work.
    > I installed AVG from their website and now have a desktop icon for it,
    > but when I click on it, it apears to be loading for a while , then
    > stops with no AVG screen.
    > Has anyone else had this problem.
    >
    > Also, I don't seem to be able to find how to get Matisse to work. Any
    > ideas please?

    ============================
    I have the same problem with LimeWire also using MDV 2007.0
    so, I'll be following this thread.

    Frank

  10. Re: Mandriva Spring 2007 Free AVG problem also Matisse

    vectraman18@btinternet.com wrote:
    > I installed Mandriva Spring 2007 Free from the downloded DVD but
    > cannot get AVG to work.
    > I installed AVG from their website and now have a desktop icon for it,
    > but when I click on it, it apears to be loading for a while , then
    > stops with no AVG screen.
    > Has anyone else had this problem.
    >
    > Also, I don't seem to be able to find how to get Matisse to work. Any
    > ideas please?

    Sorry, I am not really confused, well I hope not, just
    bewildered I think. Mandriva Spring 2007 ?????
    In my part of the world it is Autumn.
    We use Mandriva too.
    Perhaps Mandriva 2007.1 would be more mindful of the other
    half of the sphere.
    Smile and the world smiles with you.
    Don.

+ Reply to Thread