Mouse wheel stops on KVM - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mouse wheel stops on KVM - Mandriva ; I use a Belkin 2-port KVM to switch between my work laptop (Dell, Win XP Pro) and my personal Desktop (Dell 400SC running Mandriva 2007.1). This is a new Mandriva install, after switching from Suse 10.0. When I switch to ...

  1. Mouse wheel stops on KVM

    I use a Belkin 2-port KVM to switch between my work laptop (Dell, Win XP
    Pro) and my personal Desktop (Dell 400SC running Mandriva 2007.1). This
    is a new Mandriva install, after switching from Suse 10.0.

    When I switch to Mandriva, the mouse wheel stops working on Mandriva (it
    continues to work correctly on the laptop Windoze). This is very
    irritating, since I use it a lot. The mouse is a Logitech MediaPlay
    wireless.

    I had the same problem with Suse, and the suggestion there was to unplug
    the mouse from the KVM and plug it back in. That works, but only for as
    long as I stay in the Mandriva session. As soon as I toggle back to the
    laptop, then back to Mandriva, it fails again.

    Of course, the Logitech and Belkin sites are useless when it comes to Linux.

    From my Suse experience, I gather that this is a "known issue", but I am
    hoping that you Mandriva folks have been clever enough to solve it, and
    share that with me.

    Thanks,

    Jim

  2. Re: Mouse wheel stops on KVM

    On 11 May at 16:30 JimR wrote in message

    > I use a Belkin 2-port KVM to switch between my work laptop (Dell, Win XP
    > Pro) and my personal Desktop (Dell 400SC running Mandriva 2007.1). This
    > is a new Mandriva install, after switching from Suse 10.0.
    >
    > When I switch to Mandriva, the mouse wheel stops working on Mandriva (it
    > continues to work correctly on the laptop Windoze). This is very
    > irritating, since I use it a lot. The mouse is a Logitech MediaPlay
    > wireless.
    >
    > I had the same problem with Suse, and the suggestion there was to unplug
    > the mouse from the KVM and plug it back in. That works, but only for as
    > long as I stay in the Mandriva session. As soon as I toggle back to the
    > laptop, then back to Mandriva, it fails again.
    >
    > Of course, the Logitech and Belkin sites are useless when it comes to
    > Linux.
    >
    > From my Suse experience, I gather that this is a "known issue", but I am
    > hoping that you Mandriva folks have been clever enough to solve it, and
    > share that with me.

    No magic wand, I'm afraid, but I am running a very similar setup to you.

    Inspiron 5100 lappie running XP Pro; 1500sc server running Mandriva 2007.0,
    Cybex 4-port KVM, Logitech wireless wheelie mouse. The whole setup works
    flawlessly here.

    Not a "known issue" with Linux AFAICT, but our only major difference is the
    KVM. Since you saw this with SUSE also, and given that re-plugging the mouse
    is effective, I would be inclined to put the blame there. It may be worth
    trying an alternative KVM switch, or perhaps swapping the channels over.

    --
    Tony van der Hoff | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
    Buckinghamshire, England

  3. Re: Mouse wheel stops on KVM

    On Fri, 11 May 2007 11:30:55 -0400, JimR wrote:

    > I use a Belkin 2-port KVM to switch between my work laptop (Dell, Win XP
    > Pro) and my personal Desktop (Dell 400SC running Mandriva 2007.1). This
    > is a new Mandriva install, after switching from Suse 10.0.
    >
    > When I switch to Mandriva, the mouse wheel stops working on Mandriva (it
    > continues to work correctly on the laptop Windoze). This is very
    > irritating, since I use it a lot. The mouse is a Logitech MediaPlay
    > wireless.
    >
    > I had the same problem with Suse, and the suggestion there was to unplug
    > the mouse from the KVM and plug it back in. That works, but only for as
    > long as I stay in the Mandriva session. As soon as I toggle back to the
    > laptop, then back to Mandriva, it fails again.
    >
    > Of course, the Logitech and Belkin sites are useless when it comes to Linux.
    >
    > From my Suse experience, I gather that this is a "known issue", but I am
    > hoping that you Mandriva folks have been clever enough to solve it, and
    > share that with me.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jim

    FWIW - I've seen people report problems with Belkin and other relatively
    more expensive KVM's. I have an el cheapo IOGear from Best Buy - never had
    a problem and I've never seen any problem reports.

  4. Re: Mouse wheel stops on KVM

    On May 11, 6:16 pm, ray wrote:
    > FWIW - I've seen people report problems with Belkin and other relatively
    > more expensive KVM's. I have an el cheapo IOGear from Best Buy - never had
    > a problem and I've never seen any problem reports.

    I had the same problem before (no-brand KVM). It appears that there
    are some KVM without PS/2 emulation: they turn off the leaving port
    instead of keeping it alive. Mine was this type before.

    I solved the issue by buying an IOGear KVM. It is an excellent product
    and never had a glitch since then. I fully recommand this product.

  5. Re: Mouse wheel stops on KVM

    On Fri, 11 May 2007 17:04:43 -0700, Maitre Bart wrote:

    > On May 11, 6:16 pm, ray wrote:
    >> FWIW - I've seen people report problems with Belkin and other relatively
    >> more expensive KVM's. I have an el cheapo IOGear from Best Buy - never had
    >> a problem and I've never seen any problem reports.

    > I had the same problem before (no-brand KVM). It appears that there
    > are some KVM without PS/2 emulation: they turn off the leaving port
    > instead of keeping it alive. Mine was this type before.
    >
    > I solved the issue by buying an IOGear KVM. It is an excellent product
    > and never had a glitch since then. I fully recommand this product.

    I don't know for sure, but I have a theory it is connected to the built in
    cables on the iogear - some of the more expensive units come with
    detachable cables.

+ Reply to Thread