System sound events quit working - Mandriva

This is a discussion on System sound events quit working - Mandriva ; I moved to 2007.1 and enabled System Sounds, even changed a few beeps and chirps, it worked for about two days. The start up tune plays when Gnome starts, I can play music files and streaming audio and hear everything ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: System sound events quit working

  1. System sound events quit working

    I moved to 2007.1 and enabled System Sounds, even changed a few beeps and
    chirps, it worked for about two days. The start up tune plays when Gnome
    starts, I can play music files and streaming audio and hear everything
    just fine in a DVD movie or anything else that plays a sound, but I don't
    get a peep when I click on something, or there's an error message, or on
    logout, or on any of the little feedback noises I should get when working
    the computer. I know that a lot of people have reported this in every
    version of Mandrake or Mandriva including myself, but figured I'd post it
    again anyway because I'm out of ideas.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152


  2. Re: System sound events quit working

    On Fri, 11 May 2007 01:23:27 +0000, JTJersey wrote:

    > I moved to 2007.1 and enabled System Sounds, even changed a few beeps
    > and chirps, it worked for about two days. The start up tune plays when
    > Gnome starts, I can play music files and streaming audio and hear
    > everything just fine in a DVD movie or anything else that plays a sound,
    > but I don't get a peep when I click on something, or there's an error
    > message, or on logout, or on any of the little feedback noises I should
    > get when working the computer. I know that a lot of people have
    > reported this in every version of Mandrake or Mandriva including myself,
    > but figured I'd post it again anyway because I'm out of ideas.
    >


    I should have added that I can also go into system preferences under
    sound and test play each event sound with no problem. They just play
    with the event is activated.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152


  3. Re: System sound events quit working

    On Fri, 11 May 2007 02:22:54 +0000, JTJersey wrote:

    > On Fri, 11 May 2007 01:23:27 +0000, JTJersey wrote:
    >
    >> I moved to 2007.1 and enabled System Sounds, even changed a few beeps
    >> and chirps, it worked for about two days. The start up tune plays when
    >> Gnome starts, I can play music files and streaming audio and hear
    >> everything just fine in a DVD movie or anything else that plays a
    >> sound, but I don't get a peep when I click on something, or there's an
    >> error message, or on logout, or on any of the little feedback noises I
    >> should get when working the computer. I know that a lot of people have
    >> reported this in every version of Mandrake or Mandriva including
    >> myself, but figured I'd post it again anyway because I'm out of ideas.
    >>
    >>

    > I should have added that I can also go into system preferences under
    > sound and test play each event sound with no problem. They just WON'T

    play when the event is activated. (Must be getting tired.)

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152


  4. Re: System sound events quit working

    On Fri, 11 May 2007 01:23:27 +0000, JTJersey wrote:

    > I moved to 2007.1 and enabled System Sounds, even changed a few beeps
    > and chirps, it worked for about two days. The start up tune plays when
    > Gnome starts, I can play music files and streaming audio and hear
    > everything just fine in a DVD movie or anything else that plays a sound,
    > but I don't get a peep when I click on something, or there's an error
    > message, or on logout, or on any of the little feedback noises I should
    > get when working the computer. I know that a lot of people have
    > reported this in every version of Mandrake or Mandriva including myself,
    > but figured I'd post it again anyway because I'm out of ideas.
    >


    Installed a new sound card, but that didn't fix it. It's definitely a
    software issue. Probably one of their updates. I noticed that I can't
    hear streaming audio in either RealPlayer or MPlayer from certain web
    sites even though Gkrellm shows that the sound is streaming.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152


  5. System sound events now working

    Resigned myself to not having any system sounds again, but I had occasion
    to restart X for unrelated matters and darned if they didn't start
    working. Weirdness.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152


  6. Re: System sound events now working

    On 17 Mag, 00:53, JTJersey wrote:
    > Resigned myself to not having any system sounds again, but I had occasion
    > to restart X for unrelated matters and darned if they didn't start
    > working. Weirdness.
    > --
    > Registered Linux User #267152


    I'm having EXACTLY the same issue as you!
    I've tried everything but no results...

    Have you resolved the problem?


  7. Re: System sound events now working

    On Thu, 17 May 2007 08:37:27 -0400, wrote:

    > I'm having EXACTLY the same issue as you!
    > I've tried everything but no results...


    Try adding the following two lines to /etc/rc.d/rc.local ...
    alsactl restore &
    service alsa restart

    Then reboot.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  8. Re: System sound events now working

    On 17 Mag, 19:36, "David W. Hodgins"
    wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 May 2007 08:37:27 -0400, wrote:
    > > I'm having EXACTLY the same issue as you!
    > > I've tried everything but no results...

    >
    > Try adding the following two lines to /etc/rc.d/rc.local ...
    > alsactl restore &
    > service alsa restart
    >
    > Then reboot.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >
    > --
    > Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    > (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    > use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)


    Tried, but no results again...


  9. Re: System sound events now working

    On Fri, 18 May 2007 14:05:32 -0400, wrote:

    > Tried, but no results again...


    I know I've seen this before. Did some digging. The thread at
    http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.os...cae631d2c7bb4d
    is from when I had the same problem, back with Mandrake 10.

    I wonder if the same bug has crept back in.

    Take a look, and see if modifying ~/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc
    as described, in that thread works.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  10. System sound events stopped working again

    After playing some MP3's with Amorak, which I've played before, I noticed
    that the system sounds had stopped working again. This is ridiculous.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152


  11. Re: System sound events stopped working again

    On 19 Mag, 22:42, JTJersey wrote:
    > After playing some MP3's with Amorak, which I've played before, I noticed
    > that the system sounds had stopped working again. This is ridiculous.
    > --
    > Registered Linux User #267152


    Hi guys!

    i individuated better the problem on my pc (mandriva 2007.1, gnome,
    intel sound card). After running 'alsaconf' command i can get sound
    working (except for the system sounds that have never been working), I
    did an 'alsactl store' to store settings and included 'alsactl
    restore' in /etc/rc.d/rc.local but after rebooting the sounds are
    mute again. if I go to console as root and execute 'alsactl restore'
    everything goes ok (still without system sounds)...

    I would appreciate your help to solve both problems.
    Thanx


  12. Re: System sound events stopped working again

    On Sun, 20 May 2007 04:40:45 -0400, wrote:

    > mute again. if I go to console as root and execute 'alsactl restore'
    > everything goes ok (still without system sounds)...


    This part sounds like a problem with the order of the startup scripts,
    hence the need to redo the sound startup in /etc/rc.d/rc.local. Did
    you include "service alsa restart", after the restore?

    > I would appreciate your help to solve both problems.


    Regards, the kde system notifications, did you see my response
    about checking ~/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc ?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  13. Re: System sound events stopped working again

    On 20 Mag, 17:14, "David W. Hodgins"
    wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 May 2007 04:40:45 -0400, wrote:
    > > mute again. if I go to console as root and execute 'alsactl restore'
    > > everything goes ok (still without system sounds)...

    >
    > This part sounds like a problem with the order of the startup scripts,
    > hence the need to redo the sound startup in /etc/rc.d/rc.local. Did
    > you include "service alsa restart", after the restore?
    >
    > > I would appreciate your help to solve both problems.

    >
    > Regards, the kde system notifications, did you see my response
    > about checking ~/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc ?
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >
    > --
    > Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    > (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    > use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)


    Thanks a lot for all the advices!
    I fixed Gnome system sounds changing in /etc/esound/esd.conf
    auto_spawn=0 to 1.
    The only problem that still remains is that after the reboot, sound
    settings are again muted and qith value = 0 until executing an alsactl
    restore command.

    I tried also adding to /etc/rc.d/rc.local the lines:
    alsactl restore
    service alsa restart

    ...but no result... any suggestions?



  14. Re: System sound events stopped working again

    On Tue, 22 May 2007 06:29:19 -0400, wrote:

    > I tried also adding to /etc/rc.d/rc.local the lines:
    > alsactl restore
    > service alsa restart
    > ..but no result... any suggestions?


    Make sure you run an alsactl store, after you get things working,
    so the restore will pick up the correct values.

    Try reversing the lines, or adding a second restore, after the
    restart.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

+ Reply to Thread