Can't connect to internet thru Linksys - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Can't connect to internet thru Linksys - Mandriva ; I'm new to wireless internet, so forgive my ignorance. I'm able to connect to the internet wirelessly via a Linksys WRT54G. My desktop connects through a Linksys USB Network Adapter WUSB54G. I'm able to connect fine using Windows, but Mandriva ...

  1. Can't connect to internet thru Linksys

    I'm new to wireless internet, so forgive my ignorance. I'm able to
    connect to the internet wirelessly via a Linksys WRT54G. My desktop
    connects through a Linksys USB Network Adapter WUSB54G. I'm able to
    connect fine using Windows, but Mandriva Free 2007 is another matter.

    Most of my googling turns up testimonials of this equipment working
    for people "out of the box". Not me. More googling turned up a need to
    run ndiswrapper. When I type "modprobe ndiswrapper" in terminal, I
    get:

    FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.17.13-mm-
    desktop-3mdv/kernel/3rdparty/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko.gz): Invalid
    argument

    When trying to configure my wireless network through MMC, I can see my
    network, but the signal strenth only shows as 1 bar (strength is very
    good with Windows). Encryption is WEP, operating mode is Managed.

    Clicking CONNECT brings up message "Requesting a network address from
    interface rausb0 (DHCP protocol).", but nothing happens. After a few
    seconds, the message disappears.

    Not sure what I need to do here. Let me know what other info to
    provide to help you help me. Thank you in advance.

  2. Re: Can't connect to internet thru Linksys

    me wrote:
    > I'm new to wireless internet, so forgive my ignorance. I'm able to
    > connect to the internet wirelessly via a Linksys WRT54G. My desktop
    > connects through a Linksys USB Network Adapter WUSB54G. I'm able to
    > connect fine using Windows, but Mandriva Free 2007 is another matter.
    >
    > Most of my googling turns up testimonials of this equipment working
    > for people "out of the box". Not me. More googling turned up a need to
    > run ndiswrapper. When I type "modprobe ndiswrapper" in terminal, I
    > get:
    >
    > FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.17.13-mm-
    > desktop-3mdv/kernel/3rdparty/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko.gz): Invalid
    > argument
    >
    > When trying to configure my wireless network through MMC, I can see my
    > network, but the signal strenth only shows as 1 bar (strength is very
    > good with Windows). Encryption is WEP, operating mode is Managed.
    >
    > Clicking CONNECT brings up message "Requesting a network address from
    > interface rausb0 (DHCP protocol).", but nothing happens. After a few
    > seconds, the message disappears.
    >
    > Not sure what I need to do here. Let me know what other info to
    > provide to help you help me. Thank you in advance.

    So your using the ralink driver (rausb0) and you think it
    doesn't work. You have issues with ndiswrapper.

    Choose either ralink or ndiswrapper for a start.
    If you choose ndiswrapper you'll probably want to blacklist
    the ralink driver, then get a working ndiswrapper and
    configure it.

  3. Re: Can't connect to internet thru Linksys

    On May 10, 9:13 pm, foo wrote:
    > So your using the ralink driver (rausb0) and you think it
    > doesn't work. You have issues with ndiswrapper.
    >
    > Choose either ralink or ndiswrapper for a start.
    > If you choose ndiswrapper you'll probably want to blacklist
    > the ralink driver, then get a working ndiswrapper and
    > configure it.

    Don't know how to do any of that. Here's some more info in the hopes
    this can help someone give me more specific tasks.

    ndiswrapper version 1.21 loaded (preempt=no,smp=yes)
    ndiswrapper (wrapper_init:129): loadndiswrapper failed (1792); check
    system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'
    ndiswrapper (wrapper_init:136): ndiswrapper: initialization failed

    [root@localhost chris]# ndiswrapper -l
    Installed drivers:
    ndiswrapper.ko invalid driver!

    Don't know where to find the log Mandriva says to check, nor do I know
    why ndiswrapper.ko is invalid or what to do about it.

  4. Re: Can't connect to internet thru Linksys

    me wrote:
    > On May 10, 9:13 pm, foo wrote:
    >> So your using the ralink driver (rausb0) and you think it
    >> doesn't work. You have issues with ndiswrapper.
    >>
    >> Choose either ralink or ndiswrapper for a start.
    >> If you choose ndiswrapper you'll probably want to blacklist
    >> the ralink driver, then get a working ndiswrapper and
    >> configure it.

    > Don't know how to do any of that. Here's some more info in the hopes
    > this can help someone give me more specific tasks.

    You say your rausb0 device doesn't work, that's your
    USB connected WiFi device using the ralink driver.
    (Are you really really sure it doesn't work ?)

    This "ralink" driver is loaded (or you wouldn't have a rausb0 device).

    So, 'lsmod | grep rt' and look for rt,
    then 'rmmod rt' to remove the module.

    (to stop it loading next reboot, you'll need to blacklist it)

    I expect ndiswrapper is failing because the device is already
    being managed by the ralink driver. (And ndiswrapper is not
    configured correctly and/or broken in the MDV kernel)

    > ndiswrapper version 1.21 loaded (preempt=no,smp=yes)
    > ndiswrapper (wrapper_init:129): loadndiswrapper failed (1792); check
    > system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'

    /var/log/messages is the system log (unless you changed it).
    'dmesg' is also your friend.

    > ndiswrapper (wrapper_init:136): ndiswrapper: initialization failed
    >
    > [root@localhost chris]# ndiswrapper -l
    > Installed drivers:
    > ndiswrapper.ko invalid driver!

    That doesn't look correct at all.

    What does 'ls -lRh /etc/ndiswrapper' show ?

  5. Re: Can't connect to internet thru Linksys

    me wrote:

    > When trying to configure my wireless network through MMC, I can see my
    > network, but the signal strenth only shows as 1 bar (strength is very
    > good with Windows). Encryption is WEP, operating mode is Managed.
    >
    > Clicking CONNECT brings up message "Requesting a network address from
    > interface rausb0 (DHCP protocol).", but nothing happens. After a few
    > seconds, the message disappears.

    Sorry if I'm being dim, but what is MMC? (Oh - you mean MCC. I am being
    dim.)

    If you've got the rausb0 interface present the driver may be working
    properly. An obvious question, but are you sure whatever access point
    you're connecting to is running a DHCP server? Did you input the correct
    WEP key? etc. (The output of "iwconfig" might be useful.)

    > [root@localhost chris]# ndiswrapper -l
    > Installed drivers:
    > ndiswrapper.ko invalid driver!
    >

    > Don't know where to find the log Mandriva says to check, nor do I know
    > why ndiswrapper.ko is invalid or what to do about it.

    It looks as though you may have taken a wrong turn somewhere when
    initializing ndiswrapper. Do

    ndiswrapper -e ndiswrapper.ko

    Then stick your Linksys driver disk in the machine, navigate to the Windows
    XP driver folder and locate the .inf (or .INF) file. Then type

    ndiswrapper -i xxx.inf

    where xxx.inf is the real name of the .inf file in the WinXP folder.

    If you don't get an error message from that, you should unload the Ralink
    driver (probably "modprobe -r rt2500", but use lsmod to see for sure what
    the module name is). You may need to do "ifdown rausb0" first to get the
    module to unload.

    Then do "modprobe ndiswrapper", followed by "iwconfig" to see if you've got
    an interface.

    If this all works, then you can disable the Ralink driver permanently by
    removing a line like "alias rausb0 rt2500" from /etc/modprobe.conf.

    Needless to say all this needs to be done as root.

    Good luck!

    Rob

    --
    Rob Kemp
    rpkemp@postNOSPAMTOMEmaster.co.uk

  6. Re: Can't connect to internet thru Linksys

    Thanks much. Made a little progress. Here's what iwconfig gets me.
    Unfortunately now, my network doesn't even register on MCC.

    rausb0 RT2500USB WLAN ESSID:""
    Mode:Managed Frequency=2.412 GHz
    RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Encryption keyff
    Link Quality=0/100 Signal level:-120 dBm Noise level:-256
    dBm

  7. Re: Can't connect to internet thru Linksys

    me wrote:

    > Thanks much. Made a little progress. Here's what iwconfig gets me.
    > Unfortunately now, my network doesn't even register on MCC.
    >
    > rausb0 RT2500USB WLAN ESSID:""
    > Mode:Managed Frequency=2.412 GHz
    > RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    > Encryption keyff
    > Link Quality=0/100 Signal level:-120 dBm Noise level:-256
    > dBm
    > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

    Looks promising. The GUI tools for configuring wireless networks in Mandriva
    have always been a bit hit or miss for me. Try entering your wireless
    parameters on the command line with something like this:

    "iwconfig rausb0 key xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx rate auto channel x
    essid xxxxx"

    Obviously replace the x's with appropriate values. You MAY want to disable
    WEP on the router in order to test with the minimum configuration, then
    reconfigure WEP once you have it working. (If you do, then of course you
    can omit the "key xxxxxxxxxxx" parameter from the above command.)

    If this works, post back and I'll tell you how to set up your ifcfg-rausb0
    file to automatically apply this configuration whenever the network is
    started. That's unless you'll be using this machine to connect to different
    networks, in which case you'll need to find a way to get the GUI tools to
    work - or spend a while configuring the connection each time you change
    networks.

    Rob

    --
    Rob Kemp
    rpkemp@postmaster.co.uk

  8. Re: Can't connect to internet thru Linksys

    On May 12, 6:44 am, Rob Kemp wrote:
    > me wrote:
    > > Thanks much. Made a little progress. Here's what iwconfig gets me.
    > > Unfortunately now, my network doesn't even register on MCC.

    > > rausb0 RT2500USB WLAN ESSID:""
    > > Mode:Managed Frequency=2.412 GHz
    > > RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    > > Encryption keyff
    > > Link Quality=0/100 Signal level:-120 dBm Noise level:-256
    > > dBm
    > > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    > > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

    > Looks promising. The GUI tools for configuring wireless networks in Mandriva
    > have always been a bit hit or miss for me. Try entering your wireless
    > parameters on the command line with something like this:
    >
    > "iwconfig rausb0 key xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx rate auto channel x
    > essid xxxxx"
    >
    > Obviously replace the x's with appropriate values. You MAY want to disable
    > WEP on the router in order to test with the minimum configuration, then
    > reconfigure WEP once you have it working. (If you do, then of course you
    > can omit the "key xxxxxxxxxxx" parameter from the above command.)
    >
    > If this works, post back and I'll tell you how to set up your ifcfg-rausb0
    > file to automatically apply this configuration whenever the network is
    > started. That's unless you'll be using this machine to connect to different
    > networks, in which case you'll need to find a way to get the GUI tools to
    > work - or spend a while configuring the connection each time you change
    > networks.
    >
    > Rob
    >
    > --
    > Rob Kemp
    > rpk...@postmaster.co.uk

    Thank you Rob. If I understand correctly, the ESSID is the name of my
    wireless network, correct? I think I have the channel correct, but I'm
    not sure about the 'key'. Is this the password I use to connect to the
    network?

  9. Re: Can't connect to internet thru Linksys

    On May 12, 11:53 am, me wrote:
    > On May 12, 6:44 am, Rob Kemp wrote:
    >

    > > me wrote:
    > > > Thanks much. Made a little progress. Here's what iwconfig gets me.
    > > > Unfortunately now, my network doesn't even register on MCC.

    > > > rausb0 RT2500USB WLAN ESSID:""
    > > > Mode:Managed Frequency=2.412 GHz
    > > > RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    > > > Encryption keyff
    > > > Link Quality=0/100 Signal level:-120 dBm Noise level:-256
    > > > dBm
    > > > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    > > > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

    > > Looks promising. The GUI tools for configuring wireless networks in Mandriva
    > > have always been a bit hit or miss for me. Try entering your wireless
    > > parameters on the command line with something like this:

    > > "iwconfig rausb0 key xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx rate auto channel x
    > > essid xxxxx"

    > > Obviously replace the x's with appropriate values. You MAY want to disable
    > > WEP on the router in order to test with the minimum configuration, then
    > > reconfigure WEP once you have it working. (If you do, then of course you
    > > can omit the "key xxxxxxxxxxx" parameter from the above command.)

    > > If this works, post back and I'll tell you how to set up your ifcfg-rausb0
    > > file to automatically apply this configuration whenever the network is
    > > started. That's unless you'll be using this machine to connect to different
    > > networks, in which case you'll need to find a way to get the GUI tools to
    > > work - or spend a while configuring the connection each time you change
    > > networks.

    > > Rob

    > > --
    > > Rob Kemp
    > > rpk...@postmaster.co.uk

    > Thank you Rob. If I understand correctly, the ESSID is the name of my
    > wireless network, correct? I think I have the channel correct, but I'm
    > not sure about the 'key'. Is this the password I use to connect to the
    > network?

    OK, I think key may be encryption key? I entered the encryption key
    that I got from typing iwconfig. I'm getting the following error:

    Error for wireless request "Set encode" (8B2A):
    SET failed on device rausb; No such device

  10. Re: Can't connect to internet thru Linksys

    me wrote:
    *
    > OK, I think key may be encryption key?

    Yes, that's it.

    > I entered the encryption key
    > that I got from typing iwconfig. I'm getting the following error:
    >
    > Error for wireless request "Set encode" (8B2A):
    > SET failed on device rausb; No such device

    You entered rausb instead of rausb0?

    --
    Rob Kemp
    rpkemp@postmaster.co.uk

  11. Re: Can't connect to internet thru Linksys

    On May 12, 2:16 pm, Rob Kemp wrote:

    > You entered rausb instead of rausb0?

    My bad. Got a little more info now, but still can't connect.

    rausb0 RT2500USB WLAN ESSID:"xxxxx" Nickname:"localhost"
    Mode:Managed Frequency=2.462 GHz Bit Rate=11 Mb/s
    RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Encryption key:xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx Security
    modepen
    Link Quality=0/100 Signal level:-120 dBm Noise level:-195
    dBm

    Same info appears trying to configure a wireless connection in MCC,
    but now trying to connect causes MCC and the terminal to hang. Next
    steps?

  12. Re: Can't connect to internet thru Linksys

    me wrote:

    > On May 12, 2:16 pm, Rob Kemp wrote:
    >

    >> You entered rausb instead of rausb0?
    >>

    > My bad. Got a little more info now, but still can't connect.
    >
    > rausb0 RT2500USB WLAN ESSID:"xxxxx" Nickname:"localhost"
    > Mode:Managed Frequency=2.462 GHz Bit Rate=11 Mb/s
    > RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    > Encryption key:xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx Security
    > modepen
    > Link Quality=0/100 Signal level:-120 dBm Noise level:-195
    > dBm
    > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
    >
    > Same info appears trying to configure a wireless connection in MCC,
    > but now trying to connect causes MCC and the terminal to hang. Next
    > steps?

    The only thing I can suggest is that you check the essid is the same for
    both your access point and your Linksys device and that the encryption key
    is definitely the same in both cases (or turn of encryption temporarily to
    make sure the device is definitely working). You want to see a value above
    0/100 in the Link Quality field but that won't happen unless the essid and
    encryption key match your access point.

    Rather than using mcc you could try drakroam (type that as root in a console
    or right click on the wireless interface icon in the taskbar and
    select "Wireless networks -> Manage wireless networks") - although I have
    often found that to be less reliable than configuring the card through the
    control centre. Nevertheless, if drakroam identifies an available wireless
    network it's at least proof that your wireless device is working.

    By the way, it's not unusual to have this many problems connecting to a
    wireless network - there's so many things that can potentially go wrong.
    Once you get to know the parameters your connection needs, however, it's
    usually a piece of cake to set it up.

    Rob

    --
    Rob Kemp
    rpkemp@postNOSPAMTOMEmaster.co.uk

  13. Re: Can't connect to internet thru Linksys

    On May 14, 4:25 am, Rob Kemp
    wrote:
    > Rather than using mcc you could try drakroam (type that as root in a console
    > or right click on the wireless interface icon in the taskbar and
    > select "Wireless networks -> Manage wireless networks") - although I have
    > often found that to be less reliable than configuring the card through the
    > control centre. Nevertheless, if drakroam identifies an available wireless
    > network it's at least proof that your wireless device is working.

    Thanks, Rob. I used drakroam, and configured by net work by entering
    my IP address, subnet mask and default gateway. I took my passphrase
    out of the encryption key field and put in the encryption key xxxx-
    xxxx-xxxx... in the encryption key field.

    I can now connect to the network, but not to the internet. Here is
    what the terminal gives me.

    [root@localhost chris]# drakroam
    Selected interface 'rausb0'
    OK
    Failed to kill daemon. (No such file or directory)
    Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    invalid argument "Roaming".
    ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
    WEXT auth param 7 value 0x1 - ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not
    supported
    ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
    ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
    ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
    ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
    WEXT auth param 4 value 0x0 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not
    supported
    WEXT auth param 5 value 0x1 -

  14. Re: Can't connect to internet thru Linksys

    me wrote:

    > Thanks, Rob. I used drakroam, and configured by net work by entering
    > my IP address, subnet mask and default gateway. I took my passphrase
    > out of the encryption key field and put in the encryption key xxxx-
    > xxxx-xxxx... in the encryption key field.
    >
    > I can now connect to the network, but not to the internet. Here is
    > what the terminal gives me.
    >
    > [root@localhost chris]# drakroam
    > Selected interface 'rausb0'
    > OK
    > Failed to kill daemon. (No such file or directory)
    > Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    > invalid argument "Roaming".
    > ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
    > WEXT auth param 7 value 0x1 - ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not
    > supported
    > ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
    > ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
    > ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
    > ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
    > WEXT auth param 4 value 0x0 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not
    > supported
    > WEXT auth param 5 value 0x1 -

    I wouldn't worry about the output from drakroam - it's obviously running OK
    if you're connected to your local network and the error messages probably
    just relate to features that are not implemented in your network device.

    If you are setting a static IP address then in addition to setting the
    subnet mask and the default gateway you will need to specify DNS servers.
    (It is usually easier, depending on your router and the rest of your setup,
    to have a dhcp server running on the router which should then take care of
    name resolution. However, since we've got this far, let's not worry about
    that for the moment!)

    To set your DNS servers in drakroam, go into the configuration dialogue for
    your network and uncheck "Get DNS servers from DHCP". Enter at least one
    DNS server in the fields provided. (If you don't know the ip address of
    your ISP's DNS servers you may need to check their web page or give them a
    ring, but since you are connecting to the internet to read this perhaps you
    have DNS servers configured on another machine/an instance of Windows
    installed on the same machine? Look in the configuration dialogue of your
    interface under Windows.)

    Once you've entered the correct DNS server IP then, with a bit of luck, you
    should be connected to the internet.

    One final heave and you'll be there!

    Rob

    --
    Rob Kemp
    rpkemp@postNOSPAMTOMEmaster.co.uk

  15. Re: Can't connect to internet thru Linksys

    On May 15, 4:22 am, Rob Kemp
    wrote:

    > I wouldn't worry about the output from drakroam - it's obviously running OK
    > if you're connected to your local network and the error messages probably
    > just relate to features that are not implemented in your network device.
    >
    > If you are setting a static IP address then in addition to setting the
    > subnet mask and the default gateway you will need to specify DNS servers.
    > (It is usually easier, depending on your router and the rest of your setup,
    > to have a dhcp server running on the router which should then take care of
    > name resolution. However, since we've got this far, let's not worry about
    > that for the moment!)
    >
    > To set your DNS servers in drakroam, go into the configuration dialogue for
    > your network and uncheck "Get DNS servers from DHCP". Enter at least one
    > DNS server in the fields provided. (If you don't know the ip address of
    > your ISP's DNS servers you may need to check their web page or give them a
    > ring, but since you are connecting to the internet to read this perhaps you
    > have DNS servers configured on another machine/an instance of Windows
    > installed on the same machine? Look in the configuration dialogue of your
    > interface under Windows.)
    >
    > Once you've entered the correct DNS server IP then, with a bit of luck, you
    > should be connected to the internet.

    Unfortunately, my luck didn't pan out. I entered 68.87.96.3 and
    68.87.96.4 as the DNS servers, but no luck. Mandriva says network is
    up on interface rausb0, but the icon/bar graph still shows the
    connection as very weak/non-existant.
    I noticed trying to configure my wireless network that the encryption
    mode is always set at Open WEP. When I try to change it to WPA, the
    change is not saved. I also noticed nowhere to put my password, which
    would explain why I can't connect to the internet.

    Once again, thank you for the help.

  16. Re: Can't connect to internet thru Linksys

    me wrote:

    > I'm new to wireless internet, so forgive my ignorance. I'm able to
    > connect to the internet wirelessly via a Linksys WRT54G. My desktop
    > connects through a Linksys USB Network Adapter WUSB54G. I'm able to
    > connect fine using Windows, but Mandriva Free 2007 is another matter.
    >
    > Most of my googling turns up testimonials of this equipment working
    > for people "out of the box". Not me. More googling turned up a need to
    > run ndiswrapper. When I type "modprobe ndiswrapper" in terminal, I
    > get:
    >
    > FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.17.13-mm-
    > desktop-3mdv/kernel/3rdparty/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko.gz): Invalid
    > argument
    >
    > When trying to configure my wireless network through MMC, I can see my
    > network, but the signal strenth only shows as 1 bar (strength is very
    > good with Windows). Encryption is WEP, operating mode is Managed.
    >
    > Clicking CONNECT brings up message "Requesting a network address from
    > interface rausb0 (DHCP protocol).", but nothing happens. After a few
    > seconds, the message disappears.
    >
    > Not sure what I need to do here. Let me know what other info to
    > provide to help you help me. Thank you in advance.

    im not sure if this will help u but i use a usb tew-429ub usb thingie
    to connect. i actually purchased 4 others before i found one that worked
    out of the box and it doesnt need the wrapper . there is a driver for it.
    go a google search for it. it is connected to a linksys wireless.

    --
    Love is all u need.

  17. Re: Can't connect to internet thru Linksys

    me wrote:

    > I'm new to wireless internet, so forgive my ignorance. I'm able to
    > connect to the internet wirelessly via a Linksys WRT54G. My desktop
    > connects through a Linksys USB Network Adapter WUSB54G. I'm able to
    > connect fine using Windows, but Mandriva Free 2007 is another matter.
    >
    > Most of my googling turns up testimonials of this equipment working
    > for people "out of the box". Not me. More googling turned up a need to
    > run ndiswrapper. When I type "modprobe ndiswrapper" in terminal, I
    > get:
    >
    > FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.17.13-mm-
    > desktop-3mdv/kernel/3rdparty/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko.gz): Invalid
    > argument
    >
    > When trying to configure my wireless network through MMC, I can see my
    > network, but the signal strenth only shows as 1 bar (strength is very
    > good with Windows). Encryption is WEP, operating mode is Managed.
    >
    > Clicking CONNECT brings up message "Requesting a network address from
    > interface rausb0 (DHCP protocol).", but nothing happens. After a few
    > seconds, the message disappears.
    >
    > Not sure what I need to do here. Let me know what other info to
    > provide to help you help me. Thank you in advance.

    also i want to mention that after u hook up your usb thing to connect
    then ,hopefully u have urpmi already setup and as root install
    kwifimanager.

    this software will scan the area for u and let u know what wireless is
    available. also in wireless connection in mandriva control center ,
    wireless does about the same thing.

    u shouldnt have to do anything other than tell it which wireless to connect
    to so u will need to know the name of your wireless and thats about it.

    i allow roaming on mine because there are time when road runner is down and
    i cant connect to the internt. in which case i borrow from one of the
    neighbors. then i switch back by going to wireless again and changing back
    to my wireless .

    i tried to connect using a usb thingie that needed the wrapper and never
    got it to work.

    --
    Love is all u need.

  18. Re: Can't connect to internet thru Linksys

    me wrote:

    >> Once you've entered the correct DNS server IP then, with a bit of luck,
    >> you should be connected to the internet.

    > Unfortunately, my luck didn't pan out. I entered 68.87.96.3 and
    > 68.87.96.4 as the DNS servers, but no luck. Mandriva says network is
    > up on interface rausb0, but the icon/bar graph still shows the
    > connection as very weak/non-existant.
    > I noticed trying to configure my wireless network that the encryption
    > mode is always set at Open WEP. When I try to change it to WPA, the
    > change is not saved.

    I must have misunderstood when you said you were connected to the network
    before. Since it's important, what are you using for a gateway to access
    the internet? Is it another computer running some form of internet
    connection sharing, or a wireless router, or what?

    There are definitely some issues involved with setting up WPA encryption -
    the Mandriva tools (it seems to me) simply don't work properly and will
    report WEP even when your interface is successfully connected by WPA.

    I would also ignore the bar graph thing since it is flaky and unreliable.
    If "iwconfig" is reporting a signal strength of anything greater than 0/100
    you are probably OK. If not, there is no evidence that you are connecting
    to anything.

    The important thing is to get connectivity with your local network first,
    then worry about the internet second. You need to know precisely what
    encryption the wireless device you are trying to connect to - i.e. your
    router or the other computer - is using, and replicate that precisely. If
    the other device is using WPA, then even more than if using WEP I would
    strongly recommend that you disable encryption altogether until you have
    got the basics sorted out.

    > I also noticed nowhere to put my password, which
    > would explain why I can't connect to the internet.

    You shouldn't need a password to connect to the internet. The device to
    which you are trying to connect wirelessly should already have an internet
    connection set up and running, and any password should have been set up on
    that device. You have GOT a wireless router or something running haven't
    you??

    So - clear all encryption from both devices, type something like "iwconfig
    rausb0 key off mode managed rate auto essid xxxxxxx" (i.e. whatever your
    essid really is.) Then if you don't get any really serious error messages
    back, type "iwconfig" again and see if you have a signal.

    If that works, set up your interface by typing "ifconfig rausb0
    192.168.1.10" (but replacing the ip address with whatever you are really
    using). Then try pinging the gateway, e.g. "ping 192.168.1.1".

    If that works, you can set the DNS servers and default gateway IP address
    and you should be able to connect to the internet. You can then automate
    all that using the Mandriva gui tools.

    If it doesn't work, it may be that you are banjaxed.

    Rob

    --
    Rob Kemp
    rpkemp@postNOSPAMTOMEmaster.co.uk