HELP Reinstalling win xp on my Mandriva dual boot system - Mandriva

This is a discussion on HELP Reinstalling win xp on my Mandriva dual boot system - Mandriva ; OK, my win xp system is all screwed up. Spy ware has my xp system a mess. Since I need xp to use programs for work I would like to format the xp partition then reinstall xp on the same ...

  1. HELP Reinstalling win xp on my Mandriva dual boot system

    OK, my win xp system is all screwed up.
    Spy ware has my xp system a mess. Since I need xp to use
    programs for work I would like to format the xp partition
    then reinstall xp on the same drive with my Mandriva system - of course different
    partitions.
    I think this will blow out my MBR and I wont be able to boot my Mandriva system
    once I do the reinstall.
    I have tried to create a boot disk with no luck using mkbootdisk - command not
    recognized.

    I do have Disk one for Mandriva and also have Knoppix on a CD and a Linux rescue CD.

    I could really use some assistance in making sure I can get back to my mandriva system.
    And would like to install a boot loader so I can boot either system again in a dual boot
    configuration.

    I'm no expert so please be specific as possible, thanks.

  2. Re: HELP Reinstalling win xp on my Mandriva dual boot system

    Tony_Jaa wrote:
    > OK, my win xp system is all screwed up.
    > Spy ware has my xp system a mess. Since I need xp to use
    > programs for work I would like to format the xp partition
    > then reinstall xp on the same drive with my Mandriva system - of course different
    > partitions.

    If you need it for work, and your "no expert", why don't you get
    the expert at your work to do it, someone probably gets paid to
    do this for you.

    > I think this will blow out my MBR and I wont be able to boot my Mandriva system
    > once I do the reinstall.

    That's what I'm lead to believe, can't say for sure as I've never
    installed or used Windows XP.

    I assume you have searched or asked Microsoft for a solution to
    your problem, considering it would appear your concerned about
    what the XP install will or will not do.

    > I have tried to create a boot disk with no luck using mkbootdisk - command not
    > recognized.

    I suppose that was "command not found", can't ask for a more descriptive
    or accurate message than that.

    Perhaps you might like to install the "mkbootdisk" package, but it's
    up to you.

    > I do have Disk one for Mandriva and also have Knoppix on a CD and a Linux rescue CD.

    If you boot "rescue" mode from the Mandriva CD, what options does it give you ?

    > I could really use some assistance in making sure I can get back to my mandriva system.
    > And would like to install a boot loader so I can boot either system again in a dual boot
    > configuration.
    >
    > I'm no expert so please be specific as possible, thanks.

    Are you using "lilo" or "grub" as your boot loader ?
    If you don't know, does either of these files exist
    on your system :
    /etc/lilo.conf
    /boot/grub/menu.lst

    I'm left wondering why your asking about "HELP Reinstalling win xp"
    in a news group that caters for Mandriva Linux, but what would I know.

  3. Re: HELP Reinstalling win xp on my Mandriva dual boot system

    Tony_Jaa wrote:

    > I could really use some assistance in making sure I can get back to my
    > mandriva system. And would like to install a boot loader so I can boot
    > either system again in a dual boot configuration.

    See:

    http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/KB/AdminArecov

    Scroll down to the Section headed "The Mandrakelinux Rescue System"

    Jim

  4. Re: HELP Reinstalling win xp on my Mandriva dual boot system

    On Wed, 09 May 2007 21:29:07 -1000, Tony_Jaa wrote:

    First thing would be to set knode line length to 76 character in
    length. That allows room for reply indicators before the line starts
    wrapping.

    > I would like to format the xp partition
    > then reinstall xp on the same drive with my Mandriva system

    As long as you will be using the same doze partition, then it should not hurt.

    > I think this will blow out my MBR and I wont be able to boot my
    > Mandriva system once I do the reinstall.

    Yep, you have that part down pat. Say, what would happen if your disk
    died as you read this message.

    > I have tried to create a boot disk with no luck using mkbootdisk -
    > command not recognized and I wont be able to boot my
    > Mandriva system once I do the reinstall.

    Since you did not provide which linux boot loader you are using, you
    might want to read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    to improve your usenet experience.

    I create a backup diskette for lilo with the command
    lilo -b /dev/fd0
    then test to verify it boots the system.

    I think it is possible to make a grub boot diskette.

    > I do have Disk one for Mandriva and also have Knoppix on a CD and a
    >Linux rescue CD.

    Hey, you might want to boot the Mandriva cd and check out the rescue
    mode options. Then again, you did not provide version of Mandriva so
    YMMV.

    > I could really use some assistance in making sure I can get back to
    >my mandriva system.

    If you do not set line wrap at 76 chars, some people will not bother
    to reply because of the work to reformat your post to conform to the
    the standard Usenet rules/guides,....
    http://livinginternet.com/u/ua.htm <--- Advanced Usenet Usage
    http://tgos.org/newbie/rules.html <--- Good Usenet etiquette

    > And would like to install a boot loader so I can boot either system
    > again in a dual boot configuration.
    > I'm no expert so please be specific as possible, thanks.

    Yet, you have been as vague as possible as to which which boot loader
    you want to use.

    If worst came to worst, I know I can get lilo installed by booting any
    live/rescue cd, getting to a root prompt, and

    mkdir /junk
    mount -t auto /dev/ZdYZ /junk
    chroot /junk
    lilo -v
    exit

    Of course you will have to solve for Z (h,d) Y (a,b,c,,,) Z (1, 2, 3,,,,,,)

    Now if you are using grub, then
    man -k grub
    may get you started with grub boot loader, and as always,
    do bookmark this very large, Frequently Asked Questions (faq) search engine

    key words(s) in the first box
    *linux* in Newsgroup box. You need to use the two
    asterisks around linux, pick English

  5. Re: HELP Reinstalling win xp on my Mandriva dual boot system

    On 10 May 2007 12:07:08 GMT, Bit Twister wrote:

    > mkdir /junk
    > mount -t auto /dev/ZdYZ /junk
    > chroot /junk
    > lilo -v
    > exit
    >

    > Of course you will have to solve for Z (h,d) Y (a,b,c,,,) Z (1, 2, 3,,,,,,)

    Oops, that should read
    Of course you will have to solve for Z (h,s) Y (a,b,c,,,) Z (1, 2, 3,,,,,,)

  6. Re: HELP Reinstalling win xp on my Mandriva dual boot system

    > Are you using "lilo" or "grub" as your boot loader ?
    > If you don't know, does either of these files exist
    > on your system :
    > /etc/lilo.conf
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst

    ===================================
    I tried the latter as root :

    [root@localhost frank]# /boot/grub/menu.lst
    bash: /boot/grub/menu.lst: Permission denied
    [root@localhost frank]#

    Can someone please explain why 'Permission denied' ?

    I am eager to learn.

    Frank north of Scotland

  7. Re: HELP Reinstalling win xp on my Mandriva dual boot system

    On Thu, 10 May 2007 18:23:28 +0000, Highland Ham wrote:
    >> Are you using "lilo" or "grub" as your boot loader ?
    >> If you don't know, does either of these files exist
    >> on your system :
    >> /etc/lilo.conf
    >> /boot/grub/menu.lst

    > ===================================
    > I tried the latter as root :
    >
    > [root@localhost frank]# /boot/grub/menu.lst
    > bash: /boot/grub/menu.lst: Permission denied
    > [root@localhost frank]#
    >
    > Can someone please explain why 'Permission denied' ?

    You asked your bash shell to execute /boot/grub/menu.lst and the file
    permissions caused the error. You should not blindly exexute commands
    unless you know what would happen.

    The poster said if the file exists, so you could do a
    cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
    or better yet less /boot/grub/menu.lst
    to see file contents.

    For extra points, in your spare time, you might want to read
    http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/index.html

  8. Re: HELP Reinstalling win xp on my Mandriva dual boot system

    On Wed, 09 May 2007 21:29:07 -1000, Tony_Jaa wrote:

    > OK, my win xp system is all screwed up.
    > Spy ware has my xp system a mess. Since I need xp to use
    > programs for work I would like to format the xp partition
    > then reinstall xp on the same drive with my Mandriva system - of course different
    > partitions.
    > I think this will blow out my MBR and I wont be able to boot my Mandriva system
    > once I do the reinstall.
    > I have tried to create a boot disk with no luck using mkbootdisk - command not
    > recognized.
    >
    > I do have Disk one for Mandriva and also have Knoppix on a CD and a Linux rescue CD.
    >
    > I could really use some assistance in making sure I can get back to my mandriva system.
    > And would like to install a boot loader so I can boot either system again in a dual boot
    > configuration.
    >
    > I'm no expert so please be specific as possible, thanks.

    Easiest way: use 'dd' to save a copy of the MBR; do the MS install; boot a
    Live CD and restore the MBR from the copy, using 'dd' again.

  9. Re: HELP Reinstalling win xp on my Mandriva dual boot system

    > You asked your bash shell to execute /boot/grub/menu.lst and the file
    > permissions caused the error. You should not blindly exexute commands
    > unless you know what would happen.
    >
    > The poster said if the file exists, so you could do a
    > cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
    > or better yet less /boot/grub/menu.lst
    > to see file contents.
    >
    > For extra points, in your spare time, you might want to read
    > http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/index.html

    =========================
    B.T. ,Tnx for the above advice

    Frank

  10. Re: HELP Reinstalling win xp on my Mandriva dual boot system

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Wed, 09 May 2007 21:29:07 -1000, Tony_Jaa wrote:
    >
    > First thing would be to set knode line length to 76 character in
    > length. That allows room for reply indicators before the line starts
    > wrapping.

    ok

    >> I would like to format the xp partition
    >> then reinstall xp on the same drive with my Mandriva system

    > As long as you will be using the same doze partition, then it should not

    hurt.

    right

    >> I think this will blow out my MBR and I wont be able to boot my
    >> Mandriva system once I do the reinstall.

    > Yep, you have that part down pat. Say, what would happen if your disk
    > died as you read this message.

    whats that got to do with the assistance I asked for?

    >> I have tried to create a boot disk with no luck using mkbootdisk -
    >> command not recognized and I wont be able to boot my
    >> Mandriva system once I do the reinstall.

    > Since you did not provide which linux boot loader you are using,

    forgot - LILO

    you
    > might want to read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    > to improve your usenet experience.
    > I create a backup diskette for lilo with the command
    > lilo -b /dev/fd0
    > then test to verify it boots the system.
    >
    > I think it is possible to make a grub boot diskette.
    >
    >> I do have Disk one for Mandriva and also have Knoppix on a CD and a
    >>Linux rescue CD.

    > Hey, you might want to boot the Mandriva cd and check out the rescue
    > mode options. Then again, you did not provide version of Mandriva so
    > YMMV.

    whatever version 2007 is

    >> I could really use some assistance in making sure I can get back to
    >>my mandriva system.

    > If you do not set line wrap at 76 chars, some people will not bother
    > to reply because of the work to reformat your post to conform to the
    > the standard Usenet rules/guides,....
    > http://livinginternet.com/u/ua.htm <--- Advanced Usenet Usage
    > http://tgos.org/newbie/rules.html <--- Good Usenet etiquette
    >
    >> And would like to install a boot loader so I can boot either system
    >> again in a dual boot configuration.
    >> I'm no expert so please be specific as possible, thanks.

    > Yet, you have been as vague as possible as to which which boot loader
    > you want to use.

    LILO

    > If worst came to worst, I know I can get lilo installed by booting any
    > live/rescue cd, getting to a root prompt, and
    >
    > mkdir /junk
    > mount -t auto /dev/ZdYZ /junk
    > chroot /junk
    > lilo -v
    > exit
    >

    > Of course you will have to solve for Z (h,d) Y (a,b,c,,,) Z (1, 2,

    3,,,,,,)

    > Now if you are using grub, then
    > man -k grub
    > may get you started with grub boot loader, and as always,
    > do bookmark this very large, Frequently Asked Questions (faq) search

    engine

    > http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
    > key words(s) in the first box
    > *linux* in Newsgroup box. You need to use the two
    > asterisks around linux, pick English

  11. Re: HELP Reinstalling win xp on my Mandriva dual boot system

    James Kerr wrote:

    > Tony_Jaa wrote:
    >

    >> I could really use some assistance in making sure I can get back to my
    >> mandriva system. And would like to install a boot loader so I can boot
    >> either system again in a dual boot configuration.
    >>

    > See:
    >
    > http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/KB/AdminArecov
    >
    > Scroll down to the Section headed "The Mandrakelinux Rescue System"
    >
    > Jim

    many thanks

  12. Re: HELP Reinstalling win xp on my Mandriva dual boot system

    foo wrote:

    > Tony_Jaa wrote:
    >> OK, my win xp system is all screwed up.
    >> Spy ware has my xp system a mess. Since I need xp to use
    >> programs for work I would like to format the xp partition
    >> then reinstall xp on the same drive with my Mandriva system - of course

    different
    >> partitions.

    > If you need it for work,

    I do work at home sometimes on my home computer

    > and your "no expert", why don't you get
    > the expert at your work to do it, someone probably gets paid to
    > do this for you.

    the idiot at work has no clue how to do anything with Linux

    >> I think this will blow out my MBR and I wont be able to boot my Mandriva

    system
    >> once I do the reinstall.

    > That's what I'm lead to believe, can't say for sure as I've never
    > installed or used Windows XP.
    >
    > I assume you have searched or asked Microsoft for a solution to
    > your problem, considering it would appear your concerned about
    > what the XP install will or will not do.
    >
    >> I have tried to create a boot disk with no luck using mkbootdisk -

    command not
    >> recognized.

    > I suppose that was "command not found", can't ask for a more descriptive
    > or accurate message than that.
    >
    > Perhaps you might like to install the "mkbootdisk" package, but it's
    > up to you.

    did'nt know it was a package - thanks!

    >> I do have Disk one for Mandriva and also have Knoppix on a CD and a Linux

    rescue CD.

    > If you boot "rescue" mode from the Mandriva CD, what options does it give

    you ?

    I need to look - again thanks

    >> I could really use some assistance in making sure I can get back to my

    mandriva system.
    >> And would like to install a boot loader so I can boot either system again

    in a dual boot
    >> configuration.
    >>
    >> I'm no expert so please be specific as possible, thanks.

    > Are you using "lilo" or "grub" as your boot loader ?

    LILO

    > If you don't know, does either of these files exist
    > on your system :
    > /etc/lilo.conf
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst
    >
    > I'm left wondering why your asking about "HELP Reinstalling win xp"
    > in a news group that caters for Mandriva Linux, but what would I know.

    cause once I blow out XP then reload it the MBR will go away and I will need
    to figure out a way to boot my linux system so the real question is exactly
    that.

  13. Re: HELP Reinstalling win xp on my Mandriva dual boot system

    Tony_Jaa wrote:
    > whats that got to do with the assistance I asked for?

    Don't cop an attitude towards Bit Twister. Bit Twister is a
    treasure. I'd rather see you FOAD than see Bit Twister dimininished
    by the likes of you.

  14. Re: HELP Reinstalling win xp on my Mandriva dual boot system

    On Thu, 10 May 2007 18:45:47 -1000, Tony_Jaa wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >>
    >> Yep, you have that part down pat. Say, what would happen if your disk
    >> died as you read this message.

    > whats that got to do with the assistance I asked for?

    It was a hint that you need to have
    o a backup procedure,
    o a backup of your system,
    o known good backup media contents,
    o a tested restore procedure.

    The restore procedure would have to include how to restore linux,
    linux bootloader and not wipe out XP.

    > forgot - LILO

    That would make grub/menu.lst useless for you.

    Then the mkdir, mount, chroot, lilo commands will do the job, provided
    you can figure out the XYZ values if you do/can not use the diskette method.

  15. Re: HELP Reinstalling win xp on my Mandriva dual boot system

    Scott B. wrote:

    > Tony_Jaa wrote:
    >> whats that got to do with the assistance I asked for?

    > Don't cop an attitude towards Bit Twister. Bit Twister is a
    > treasure. I'd rather see you FOAD than see Bit Twister dimininished
    > by the likes of you.
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search

    it was an honest question...........sheeeesh!

  16. Re: HELP Reinstalling win xp on my Mandriva dual boot system

    Tony_Jaa wrote:
    > Scott B. wrote:
    >

    >>Tony_Jaa wrote:
    >>
    >>>whats that got to do with the assistance I asked for?

    >>Don't cop an attitude towards Bit Twister. Bit Twister is a
    >>treasure. I'd rather see you FOAD than see Bit Twister dimininished
    >>by the likes of you.
    >>
    >>http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search

    > it was an honest question...........sheeeesh!

    and Bit Twister took it as such, and gave an answer that should be
    useful to me as well...

    Think it's important when using usenet to realise that it's a
    narrow-bandwidth medium; "tricks" as tone of voice, or body language,
    get filtered out. So misunderstandings happen. Don't get discouraged by
    flames on your questions: if possible, learn to avoid flames by posting
    better questions instead. That's what people the
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html link was about. Or
    try hugging the flamer, that sometimes works.

+ Reply to Thread