How to map host names and ip addresses? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on How to map host names and ip addresses? - Mandriva ; Hi! I have a home network composed of a router and 2 computers. My router (Dlink DI-524) address is 192.168.0.1. My computers are homer and marge and may have either 192.168.0.100 and 192.168.0.101 as ip addresses (designated by the router). ...

  1. How to map host names and ip addresses?

    Hi! I have a home network composed of a router and 2 computers.

    My router (Dlink DI-524) address is 192.168.0.1.
    My computers are homer and marge and may have either 192.168.0.100 and
    192.168.0.101 as ip addresses (designated by the router).
    The ip addresses are never the same for each computer from time to
    time.

    marge is the one I run Mandriva 2006 on (I may run Windows XP also).
    homer is running Windows XP only (for the moment).

    I wonder how I can setup all of these components in order I can use
    host names when I wish to mount fs, ftp, etc. ? (please, assume I may
    have more computers: bart, lisa, maggie, etc.)

    Thanks in advance for your help.

  2. Re: How to map host names and ip addresses?

    On Wed, 09 May 2007 21:17:51 -0400, Maitre Bart wrote:

    > Hi! I have a home network composed of a router and 2 computers.
    >
    > My router (Dlink DI-524) address is 192.168.0.1.
    > My computers are homer and marge and may have either 192.168.0.100 and
    > 192.168.0.101 as ip addresses (designated by the router).
    > The ip addresses are never the same for each computer from time to
    > time.

    You should be able to go into the router's configuration, and set
    to time limit for dhcp leases to forever.

    > I wonder how I can setup all of these components in order I can use
    > host names when I wish to mount fs, ftp, etc. ? (please, assume I may
    > have more computers: bart, lisa, maggie, etc.)

    Once you have stable ip addresses, simply add each computer
    to your hosts file, on all of the computers.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: How to map host names and ip addresses?

    On 2007-05-10, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 May 2007 21:17:51 -0400, Maitre Bart wrote:
    >
    >> Hi! I have a home network composed of a router and 2 computers.
    >>
    >> My router (Dlink DI-524) address is 192.168.0.1.
    >> My computers are homer and marge and may have either 192.168.0.100 and
    >> 192.168.0.101 as ip addresses (designated by the router).
    >> The ip addresses are never the same for each computer from time to
    >> time.

    > You should be able to go into the router's configuration, and set
    > to time limit for dhcp leases to forever.

    Another potential option (the one I use) is to configure the
    router and computers to use static IP addresses on the LAN
    side rather than DHCP.

    >> I wonder how I can setup all of these components in order I can use
    >> host names when I wish to mount fs, ftp, etc. ? (please, assume I may
    >> have more computers: bart, lisa, maggie, etc.)

    > Once you have stable ip addresses, simply add each computer
    > to your hosts file, on all of the computers.

    Do the same if using static LAN IPs.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net