repartitioning for 2007 Spring - Mandriva

This is a discussion on repartitioning for 2007 Spring - Mandriva ; My nearly 4-year-old computer(Athlon XP 1900+ processor, 512M RAM) has two drives, a 40G primary and an 80G secondary. I use a dual-boot system with Mandriva 2007 and Windows 98SE. When I set this up I allocated the primary drive ...

  1. repartitioning for 2007 Spring

    My nearly 4-year-old computer(Athlon XP 1900+ processor, 512M RAM) has
    two drives, a 40G primary and an 80G secondary. I use a dual-boot system
    with Mandriva 2007 and Windows 98SE. When I set this up I allocated the
    primary drive for Windows 98SE, and split the secondary drive into 40G
    for a Windows image backup (a practice that has saved my bacon several
    times in the past) and the other 40G for Linux. I had a habit of
    downloading and saving data files to Windows, so both OS's could access
    them. That worked well until recently. My habits have changed, and I
    want more space for my Linux /home partition when I install Mandriva
    2007 Spring.

    Of course I would perform all necessary data backups before performing
    this procedure. I still use Windows from time to time, so I don't want
    to get rid of either of those partitions, but I do think it's time to
    shrink them. My thoughts were to shrink the FAT32 partition on the
    primary drive to 30G and put my Mandriva 10G / partition to the
    remaining space on that drive. I would also shrink the backup Windows
    partition to 30G and increase the size of the /home partition by the
    newly opened 20G, not quite doubling its present size. Mandriva 2007, of
    course, would no longer operate, so I would then install Spring.

    I have two questions on this proposal:

    1. Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?
    2. If the answer to #1 is no, then would I be better off to put the swap
    partition on the drive with / or leave it on the drive with /home?

    TJ

  2. Re: repartitioning for 2007 Spring

    On Wed, 09 May 2007 08:55:52 -0400, TJ wrote:

    > I have two questions on this proposal:
    >
    > 1. Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

    Not that I can see.

    > 2. If the answer to #1 is no, then would I be better off to put the swap
    > partition on the drive with / or leave it on the drive with /home?

    If you do a free in a terminal, you would get a feel for how
    much swapping/space you are using. Using very little will indicate not
    much of a performance hit where swap resides. If lots of swapping
    going on, then create swap on a different drive.

    I would recommend getting gparted from
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=173828
    and use it to shrink your doze partition to the nearest cylinder boundary.
    Once done, use Custom during 2007.1 partition phase and click the
    free/unknown/unformated space you created for the / install.

  3. Re: repartitioning for 2007 Spring

    On Wed, 09 May 2007 08:55:52 -0400, TJ wrote:

    > Of course I would perform all necessary data backups before performing
    > this procedure. I still use Windows from time to time, so I don't want
    > to get rid of either of those partitions, but I do think it's time to
    > shrink them. My thoughts were to shrink the FAT32 partition on the
    > primary drive to 30G and put my Mandriva 10G / partition to the

    You may run into a limit on the resize, due to the number of sectors
    allocated to each entry in the file allocation table. I expect you'll
    be limited to resizing it to 32GB. If you do want to go smaller, backup, delete, create, format, and restore.

    > 2. If the answer to #1 is no, then would I be better off to put the swap
    > partition on the drive with / or leave it on the drive with /home?

    Depends on what you'll be running. With 512MB of ram, the only time
    I encounter swap use, is when editing large photos. In that case,
    it would be better to have the swap on the other drive from /home.

    If you are encountering swap usage while the system is under heavy
    "server" load, rather then with user applications, it would be better
    to put the swap on the drive that doesn't have/ on it.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: repartitioning for 2007 Spring

    Thanks for the info. I guess I'll give 'er a try and see what happens.
    First, though, I need to download Spring and make the install CDs as
    described in another thread, if it'll let me. (No DVD burner) Then, I
    need to find the time to do the job!

    TJ