How do I change domain name? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on How do I change domain name? - Mandriva ; I'm trying to share a printer attached to my mandriva computer. >Configure your computer>sharing>setup a file and print sharing between Linux and Windows Machines brings up the following... You need to readjust your hostname. 'localhost' is not a correct hostname ...

  1. How do I change domain name?

    I'm trying to share a printer attached to my mandriva computer.

    >Configure your computer>sharing>setup a file and print sharing between

    Linux and Windows Machines brings up the following...

    You need to readjust your hostname. 'localhost' is not a correct hostname
    for a DNS server. Hostname must be a FQDN: Fully Qualified Domain Name

    I looked through 'man hostname' but it wasn't very clear to me on how to
    permanently change my hostname to a FQDN like mandrivabox.linuxdomain

    Please Please help me...I'm fallin...Please please..da da I say
    PLEASE ....PLEASE BUGGGGGGGGEEEEEPOW! Thank you all very much

  2. Re: How do I change domain name?

    On Tue, 08 May 2007 12:32:05 -0500, George wrote:
    > I'm trying to share a printer attached to my mandriva computer.
    >
    >>Configure your computer>sharing>setup a file and print sharing between

    > Linux and Windows Machines brings up the following...
    >
    > You need to readjust your hostname. 'localhost' is not a correct hostname
    > for a DNS server. Hostname must be a FQDN: Fully Qualified Domain Name

    In order to not get into trouble, put .invalid on the end of your
    domain name unless you have a registered domain. Example:
    darkstar.myhome.invalid <==== domain name is myhome.invalid,
    darkstar is the node

    $ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
    NETWORKING_IPV6=no
    GATEWAYDEV=eth0
    GATEWAY=192.168.2.1
    HOSTNAME=wb.home.invalid <======= FQDN
    NEEDHOSTNAME=no
    NETWORKING=yes

    $ cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.2.1 fw.home.invalid fw
    192.168.2.12 wb1.home.invalid wb1
    192.168.2.30 wb.home.invalid wb <======= FQDN
    192.168.2.60 scsi.home.invalid scsi
    192.168.2.215 m2007.home.invalid m2007

    Note: I recommend a reboot when changing node names.

  3. Re: How do I change domain name?

    On 2007-05-08, George wrote:
    > I'm trying to share a printer attached to my mandriva computer.
    >
    > Configure your computer>sharing>setup a file and print sharing between
    > Linux and Windows Machines brings up the following...
    >
    > You need to readjust your hostname. 'localhost' is not a correct hostname
    > for a DNS server. Hostname must be a FQDN: Fully Qualified Domain Name
    >
    > I looked through 'man hostname' but it wasn't very clear to me on how to
    > permanently change my hostname to a FQDN like mandrivabox.linuxdomain
    >
    > Please Please help me...I'm fallin...Please please..da da I say
    > PLEASE ....PLEASE BUGGGGGGGGEEEEEPOW! Thank you all very much

    'Configure your Computer - Network and internet - Alter miscellaneous
    internet settings' and enter something appropriate in the space for 'Host
    name (optional)'. I don't know why Mandriva think it's 'optional'.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  4. Re: How do I change domain name?

    George wrote:

    > I'm trying to share a printer attached to my mandriva computer.
    >
    >>Configure your computer>sharing>setup a file and print sharing between

    > Linux and Windows Machines brings up the following...
    >
    > You need to readjust your hostname. 'localhost' is not a correct hostname
    > for a DNS server. Hostname must be a FQDN: Fully Qualified Domain Name
    >
    > I looked through 'man hostname' but it wasn't very clear to me on how to
    > permanently change my hostname to a FQDN like mandrivabox.linuxdomain
    >
    > Please Please help me...I'm fallin...Please please..da da I say
    > PLEASE ....PLEASE BUGGGGGGGGEEEEEPOW! Thank you all very much

    MCC > Network & Internet
    or /etc/hosts

  5. Re: How do I change domain name?

    On Tue, 08 May 2007 20:05:35 +0000, jimf wrote:

    > George wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to share a printer attached to my mandriva computer.
    >>
    >>>Configure your computer>sharing>setup a file and print sharing between

    >> Linux and Windows Machines brings up the following...
    >>
    >> You need to readjust your hostname. 'localhost' is not a correct
    >> hostname for a DNS server. Hostname must be a FQDN: Fully Qualified
    >> Domain Name
    >>
    >> I looked through 'man hostname' but it wasn't very clear to me on how
    >> to permanently change my hostname to a FQDN like
    >> mandrivabox.linuxdomain
    >>
    >> Please Please help me...I'm fallin...Please please..da da I say PLEASE
    >> ....PLEASE BUGGGGGGGGEEEEEPOW! Thank you all very much

    > MCC > Network & Internet
    > or /etc/hosts

    Thanks guys a whooooole bunch!

+ Reply to Thread