Where is the trash? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Where is the trash? - Mandriva ; Very irritating this: does anyone know where the trash is actually kept on a recent Mandriva system? You can access it by putting "trash:/" into Konqueror, but I prefer to do something else with my trash. It'll be in some ...

  1. Where is the trash?

    Very irritating this: does anyone know where the trash is actually kept on
    a recent Mandriva system? You can access it by putting "trash:/" into
    Konqueror, but I prefer to do something else with my trash. It'll be in
    some dot file somewhere, but how do I find it?
    XFCE4 and KDE seem to put trash in the same place, but where does it go? It
    was so easy in the days when it was, I think, ~/Desktop/Wastebin, but that
    was obviously too easy.

  2. Re: Where is the trash?

    Quoth Jorgen Stepputat :

    > Very irritating this: does anyone know where the trash is actually kept
    > on a recent Mandriva system? You can access it by putting "trash:/" into
    > Konqueror, but I prefer to do something else with my trash. It'll be in
    > some dot file somewhere, but how do I find it?
    > XFCE4 and KDE seem to put trash in the same place, but where does it go?
    > It was so easy in the days when it was, I think, ~/Desktop/Wastebin, but
    > that was obviously too easy.

    How about ~/.local/share/Trash ?

    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

  3. Re: Where is the trash?

    On Tue, 08 May 2007 09:10:24 -0400, Jorgen Stepputat wrote:

    > Very irritating this: does anyone know where the trash is actually kept on
    > a recent Mandriva system? You can access it by putting "trash:/" into

    Bit Twister has already answered your question. For future reference,
    you may find the following command usefull for finding things ...
    [dave@hodgins ~]$ find -iname "*trash*"
    ../Desktop/trash.desktop
    ../.gnome/gnome-vfs/.trash_entry_cache
    ../.local/share/Trash

    The above find command searches the current and all sub directories
    for any file, or directory, with the name trash in it, case insensitive.

    Seee man find, for more options.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: Where is the trash?

    Quoth David W. Hodgins :

    > On Tue, 08 May 2007 09:10:24 -0400, Jorgen Stepputat
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Very irritating this: does anyone know where the trash is actually kept
    >> on a recent Mandriva system? You can access it by putting "trash:/" into

    > Bit Twister has already answered your question.

    Bit Twister cringes... I say thanks, Dave, for the confused
    compliment! ;-)

    > For future reference,
    > you may find the following command usefull for finding things ...
    > [dave@hodgins ~]$ find -iname "*trash*"

    .... and for the value-added post. Next lesson for
    Jorgen: man locate
    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

  5. Re: Where is the trash?

    On Wed, 09 May 2007 10:10:45 -0400, Big Yellow Hats wrote:

    > ... and for the value-added post. Next lesson for
    > Jorgen: man locate

    Don't forget "urpmi mlocate" "updatedb", both as root.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins